ADVERTISEMENT

Herbie rants about 'despicable lunatic' Nole fans daring to question his Bama playoff preference

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Whoa. Herbie doesn't like it when anybody questions his judgment on who should get playoff bids. The man wants you to know that he's as pure as the falling snow in such matters. Neither bias nor politics ever enter into his calculations.

Funny as hell:

Whoa. Herbie doesn't like it when anybody questions his judgment on who should get playoff bids. The man wants you to know that he's as pure as the falling snow in such matters. Neither bias nor politics ever enter into his calculations.

Funny as hell:

He's right. Not sure why any of this is funny to you. Everything he said is true. You should want to believe in conspiracies

Lots of teams are better than FSU. I'd argue Penn State Ole Miss and Mizzou are better with two losses.

He's right. Not sure why any of this is funny to you. Everything he said is true. You should want to believe in conspiracies

Lots of teams are better than FSU. I'd argue Penn State Ole Miss and Mizzou are better with two losses.

What's he "right" about? That Bama deserved the nod over the Noles? That's arguable but he's entitled to his opinion.

That Nole fans are out of line for thinking their team got jobbed and having the audacity to question the Herbster's judgment on the matter? Please.

Substitute Buckeyes for Noles in the same situation and you think Herbie would be making the same call? If so, I've got a bridge to sell you...cheap.

What's he "right" about? That Bama deserved the nod over the Noles? That's arguable but he's entitled to his opinion.

That Nole fans are out of line for thinking their team got jobbed and having the audacity to question the Herbster's judgment on the matter? Please.

Substitute Buckeyes for Noles in the same situation and you think Herbie would be making the same call? If so, I've got a bridge to sell you...cheap.
He specifically said it's not about "deserves". Did you even read it?

The Noles fan are out of line for blaming him and not accepting the reality that without Travis they aren't a top 4 team.

If Ohio State players the same pathetic schedule in the ACC, lost their QB and had zero offense with their backup QBs he would but the Big Ten and SEC will never be in that scenario.

Herbstreit has a problem with critics of his opinions. It’s not the first time he’s unloaded on fan bases who disagree with him and not the first time he’s labeled them the “lunatic fringe”.

For him to tell them that if they don’t like it they should stop complaining and change the criteria from best teams to most deserving teams is just silly and nonsensical. There’s no way for fans to do that so don’t put it out there as some sort of fault of theirs that they need to fix first.

He’s an announcer for ESPN and should have a thicker skin in situations like this. No matter what he says- some will agree, some will disagree. Let it go.

Funny as hell:

Herbie may be correct with his assessment….. but then again, he may not. That’s the nature of subjectivity…even if it’s partly based on objective data. The ugly part is his arrogance —How dare someone have a differing “subjective “ opinion ….( Also based on objective data .)

—-If his argument is taken to its logical conclusion, his expert assessment should be able to identify the national champion right now, and save us all a lot of time in front of the TV. Sheesh.

— 12 team playoffs can’t come fast enough. Not perfect, but less subjective…. And his arrogance less relevant.

Last edited:
He specifically said it's not about "deserves". Did you even read it?

The Noles fan are out of line for blaming him and not accepting the reality that without Travis they aren't a top 4 team.

If Ohio State players the same pathetic schedule in the ACC, lost their QB and had zero offense with their backup QBs he would but the Big Ten and SEC will never be in that scenario.

Yes, "deserves" (or not) is this year's fashionable catchword for rationalizing the politics of the moment. The catchwords change from year to year...as sometimes do the selection criteria, depending on whose ox is being gored.

I've already said I'm just as happy to see Bama get the nod because it makes Michigan's path to a title harder. Still, I totally understand the feelings of Nole fans. Their team went into the league championship game undefeated and ranked ahead of Alabama...won by 10 points...but Bama jumped them anyway. Why? Ultimately because the SEC is the 800-pound gorilla in the college football room.

Anyway, all this aside, you're missing my point. What's funny as hell is Herbie getting all indignant that Nole fans would be unhappy that their team got hosed and that Herbie was a cheerleader for the hosing. Like, Herb, for God's sakes, this stuff comes with the territory. If you can't handle it, find a different line of work.

Reactions: psu00 and GSPMax

Funny as hell:

All about who can beat Michigan and FSU even with their QB is not on par. I think winner of Michigan/Alabama game beats Texas/Washington and wins NC. We just can't have Michigan winning, not because of the cheating but rather the arrogance.

Reactions: dswartz
Herbie is no different than scores of others. One sees it every day. Individuals who have an exhaled opinion of themselves and their views, while denigrating opposing thoughts, either right or wrong.

Funny as hell:

He is football.

Reactions: joeaubie21
yep....and if that happened to PSU, we'd be all that FSU is giving and more.
Here is my answer to the Big Debate….

Say the networks offered the two teams $25 mil each to play next Saturday at a neutral field. Neutral state , a field that neither team ever played in, mid fifties weather. Bookies list it as a pick ‘‘em and you are gonna bet an even grand.

Who you betting on to win, even up?

90% will take ‘bama. Some ‘noles diehards will bet their team. And that’s the truth.

He had to make that call in order to be consistent. He set that precedent for better or worse in early December 2016. He knows that, Even if people forgot.

I know I haven't.

Yes, "deserves" (or not) is this year's fashionable catchword for rationalizing the politics of the moment. The catchwords change from year to year...as sometimes do the selection criteria, depending on whose ox is being gored.

I've already said I'm just as happy to see Bama get the nod because it makes Michigan's path to a title harder. Still, I totally understand the feelings of Nole fans. Their team went into the league championship game undefeated and ranked ahead of Alabama...won by 10 points...but Bama jumped them anyway. Why? Ultimately because the SEC is the 800-pound gorilla in the college football room.

Anyway, all this aside, you're missing my point. What's funny as hell is Herbie getting all indignant that Nole fans would be unhappy that their team got hosed and that Herbie was a cheerleader for the hosing. Like, Herb, for God's sakes, this stuff comes with the territory. If you can't handle it, find a different line of work.
"..... deserve's got nothing to do with it." "It's all about the Benjamins."

I think that it is all about creating the best made for TV matchups for the NCAA College Football Invitational Championship. Herbie is an 'influencer' with skin in the game. He is paid lucratively by the network who sponsors the CFP and the network is looking to maximize their cash cow.

I believe FSU earned the right to be a participant. But if the game turned into a blowout, I'd be inclined to turn it off. ABC/ESPN/Disney is looking to maximize their ROI in this circumstance and people like Herbie are paid to provide justification for this ultimate motivation.

Reactions: Jerry

Bama jumped them because they beat #1 which is normal for a team to move up significantly by doing so

Herbie is very influential in football when people like that or not. The reality is people are envious of the situation and get even more angry when he doesn't support the team they like. Herbie did nothing wrong and if people are attacking him he should fight back. Why wouldn't he?

Herbie is very influential in football when people like that or not. The reality is people are envious of the situation and get even more angry when he doesn't support the team they like. Herbie did nothing wrong and if people are attacking him he should fight back. Why wouldn't he?

He wouldn't because he's not some schmuck on a message board but rather a highly-paid and supposedly serious commentator on college football. By getting in a catfight with justifiably angry and disappointed fans, he only makes himself look unprofessional.

Also, words like "despicable" are ridiculously overwrought. That's a word you use to describe heinous crimes and those who commit them...not vehement football fans who disagree with you.

He wouldn't because he's not some schmuck on a message board but rather a highly-paid and supposedly serious commentator on college football. By getting in a catfight with justifiably angry and disappointed fans, he only makes himself look unprofessional.

Also, words like "despicable" are ridiculously overwrought. That's a word you use to describe heinous crimes and those who commit them...not vehement football fans who disagree with you.
He's an analyst not a doctor. Stuff like this makes him more relevant. Is Pat McAfee popular because he's "professional"?

Despicable can describe a lot of things. FSU fans have been ridiculous throughout this just like many fan bases prior to them.

Without calling FSU out, he can't justify 2016.

He can't justify 2016 any god damn way. We don't forget.

Reactions: GSPMax

I would argue Ole Miss calls themselves rebs but still red white and blue- it's a duality of man thing like when Bub shoots Gump in the gluten but it's still all luh after...

Funny as hell:

What’s funny is the masses on here echo what Herbs says then they pretend they aren’t brainwashed by ESPN. They’re more concerned with being right than anything else. It’s comical.

Reactions: Psubiomed
He's an analyst not a doctor. Stuff like this makes him more relevant. Is Pat McAfee popular because he's "professional"?

Despicable can describe a lot of things. FSU fans have been ridiculous throughout this just like many fan bases prior to them.
True! All you gotta do is turn these talking heads off.

It only makes him more relevant to idiots...of whom, granted, there is no shortage.

The definition of "despicable" is: "deserving of hatred or contempt."

If you believe that a football fan's garden-variety anger over his team's controversial exclusion from the playoffs makes him deserving of hatred and contempt, particularly on the part of a supposedly professional commentator, then you're worse than the Nole fans in question. And so is Herbie.

That said, in fairness to Herbie, he probably doesn't know what the word "despicable" means. Apparently you don't either, Lando.

It only makes him more relevant to idiots...of whom, granted, there is no shortage.

The definition of "despicable" is: "deserving of hatred or contempt."

If you believe that a football fan's garden-variety anger over his team's controversial exclusion from the playoffs makes him deserving of hatred and contempt, particularly on the part of a supposedly professional commentator, then you're worse than the Nole fans in question. And so is Herbie.

That said, in fairness to Herbie, he probably doesn't know what the word "despicable" means. Apparently you don't either, Lando.
Herbie, to stay relevant, has to reach younger generations who want to see this reaction
Herbie feels they "deserve hatred or contempt" such as they feel he deserves apparently
Again, you're making something out of nothing here. Herbie's job to get attract attention as it helps ratings. Look at everything he does. Remain critical if you want but this won't hurt him.
And, again, you only care because you think he's wrong. He wasn't wrong. Once Travis went down FSU should have been out. They weren't impressive with him let alone without him. He's not alone in his take nor did he determine who was in the field. If he influenced them that further illustrates the power he has and why he can respond in this manner.
Have you actually read some of the things said about him? You're just blindly going against him because it's what you do.

Last edited:
Herbie, to stay relevant, has to reach younger generations who want to see this reaction
Herbie feels they "deserve hatred or contempt" such as they feel he deserves apparently
Again, you're making something out of nothing here. Herbie's job to get attract attention as it helps ratings. Look at everything he does. Remain critical if you want but this won't hurt him.
And, again, you only care because you think he's wrong. He wasn't wrong. Once Travis went down FSU should have been out. They weren't impressive with him let alone without him. He's not alone in his take nor did he determine who was in the field. If he influenced them that further illustrates the power he has and why he can respond in this manner.
Have you actually read some of the things said about him? You're just blindly going against him because it's what you do.
You can keep bashing them but going undefeated in a power 5 conference is very difficult as shown each year. Plus losing their star qb and still winning out was impressive.

You can keep bashing them but going undefeated in a power 5 conference is very difficult as shown each year. Plus losing their star qb and still winning out was impressive.
They weren't impressive once Travis went out. Especially offensively. Did you watch them against Florida or Louisville? Their offense was Iowa level.
Yes, it's "impressive" to go 13-0. That doesn't mean you're a top 4 team. They should have lost to BC and Clemson honestly. And, yes, Bama should have lost to Auburn but that win over Georgia was the best win all year in the eyes of the committee. FSU's best win had 3 losses.

They weren't impressive once Travis went out. Especially offensively. Did you watch them against Florida or Louisville? Their offense was Iowa level.
Yes, it's "impressive" to go 13-0. That doesn't mean you're a top 4 team. They should have lost to BC and Clemson honestly. And, yes, Bama should have lost to Auburn but that win over Georgia was the best win all year in the eyes of the committee. FSU's best win had 3 losses.
The goal is to win and they did it.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Yeah Herbie got bent out of shape a little. He has to realize FSU fans are going to be pissed. Does he think they are all going to meekly understand and accept? Give me a break.

The selection of Bama and the criteria of the best teams can get squirrelly. So what would have happened if Bama played GA to a stand off but lost? A quadruple OT death fight or they lose on a fluke play or on a horrible call by the ref (think Saints vs Rams a few years ago). My point is that people would think they are still one of the 4 best teams but now had 2 losses. I know what the answer is, they don't make it because of two losses. But wait, you don't count the 0 losses as positive for FSU but then would penalize Bama for 2 losses. Oh then the excuse is well FSU would make it if their QB was not hurt. Okay what if Bama won but lost their starting QB? I think this subjective "best teams" criteria really is a slippery slope. Remember last year Saban was advocating Bama was one of the best teams and should have gotten in. People laughed at him then but now it seems to be the criteria. It is a way of rewarding traditional powers who have had close losses.....well they are really better than so and so but their loss was a fluke. Maybe just let the teams with the top 4 recruiting classes just play each other. They should be the best. Who cares what happens on the field. I know that is far fetched but we are introducing all this subjectivity which ironically the sport has been dogged by for decades....Texas is better than Penn State because Nixon said so; Nebraska is better than Penn State because a #1 team would not let Indiana make the game somewhat close. etc, etc.

Reactions: Jerry
Yeah Herbie got bent out of shape a little. He has to realize FSU fans are going to be pissed. Does he think they are all going to meekly understand and accept? Give me a break.

The selection of Bama and the criteria of the best teams can get squirrelly. So what would have happened if Bama played GA to a stand off but lost? A quadruple OT death fight or they lose on a fluke play or on a horrible call by the ref (think Saints vs Rams a few years ago). My point is that people would think they are still one of the 4 best teams but now had 2 losses. I know what the answer is, they don't make it because of two losses. But wait, you don't count the 0 losses as positive for FSU but then would penalize Bama for 2 losses. Oh then the excuse is well FSU would make it if their QB was not hurt. Okay what if Bama won but lost their starting QB? I think this subjective "best teams" criteria really is a slippery slope. Remember last year Saban was advocating Bama was one of the best teams and should have gotten in. People laughed at him then but now it seems to be the criteria. It is a way of rewarding traditional powers who have had close losses.....well they are really better than so and so but their loss was a fluke. Maybe just let the teams with the top 4 recruiting classes just play each other. They should be the best. Who cares what happens on the field. I know that is far fetched but we are introducing all this subjectivity which ironically the sport has been dogged by for decades....Texas is better than Penn State because Nixon said so; Nebraska is better than Penn State because a #1 team would not let Indiana make the game somewhat close. etc, etc.
They should understand and accept what happened. It wasn't mildly surprising.
First off, I think multiple 2 loss teams were better than FSU without Travis including Penn State.
What happened on the field still matters. Alabama wasn't penalized for scheduling Texas. They played two top 6 teams and split that. To me, and others, that's more impressive than what FSU did.
College football has always been a mythical national title because it was voted on. Nothing changed. It's always been subjective and was on selection Sunday

They should understand and accept what happened. It wasn't mildly surprising.
First off, I think multiple 2 loss teams were better than FSU without Travis including Penn State.
What happened on the field still matters. Alabama wasn't penalized for scheduling Texas. They played two top 6 teams and split that. To me, and others, that's more impressive than what FSU did.
College football has always been a mythical national title because it was voted on. Nothing changed. It's always been subjective and was on selection Sunday
Anytime your team in a Power 5 conference goes undefeated and is passed over then the fans will be upset. Common sense. Fan is short for fanatic. And yes it was mildly surprising. What was not surprising is Texas getting in.

Bama jumped them because they beat #1 which is normal for a team to move up significantly by doing so
While I agree, that’s just picking what’s normal. It was also normal for undefeated power 5 to play in the 4 team invitational. It was also normal for the committee to ignore injuries.

So in the end, if the committee had actual gonads, they would have said….this is the team we want. It’s about money. Hiding behind the injury was a BS move for adults. Just say why instead of making shit up. It was $$

Anytime your team in a Power 5 conference goes undefeated and is passed over then the fans will be upset. Common sense. Fan is short for fanatic. And yes it was mildly surprising. What was not surprising is Texas getting in.
Upset, disappointed in the moment sure but they should have been prepared for it. I don’t comprehend anyone being mildly surprised by a 1 loss SEC champ getting in.

While I agree, that’s just picking what’s normal. It was also normal for undefeated power 5 to play in the 4 team invitational. It was also normal for the committee to ignore injuries.

So in the end, if the committee had actual gonads, they would have said….this is the team we want. It’s about money. Hiding behind the injury was a BS move for adults. Just say why instead of making shit up. It was $$

It's not just about money though. I don't think anyone believes FSU is a better team than any of the P5 one-loss teams.

We've never had a P5 undefeated champ with a SOS in the 50s, that lost their QB, looked like Iowa offensively without him being compared to one-loss P5 programs with the resumes of Bama and Texas.

Fair or not, the SEC has proven since the playoff began that they're the best conference. They were never getting left out. For competitive and financial reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT