ADVERTISEMENT

Herbie..get a clue

bkmtnittany1

Jan 12, 2014
Praising that big powerhouse Stanford last week...saying they have a shot as a 2 loss team getting in the playoff. Yo Herbie...they beat that juggernaut Oregon State(1-7) last nite by one point! And OSU gift wrapped them a fumble at the 38 with 225 on the clock!

Reactions: JJTopp99
Praising that big powerhouse Stanford last week...saying they have a shot as a 2 loss team getting in the playoff. Yo Herbie...they beat that juggernaut Oregon State(1-7) last nite by one point! And OSU gift wrapped them a fumble at the 38 with 225 on the clock!

yea they just don't pass the "eye test". LOL.

There is a reason people come to this board and think it's full of raving lunatics. Herbstreit has been a huge cheerleader for PSU for years. He calls the PSU student section the best in the country almost every year. He tells anybody who will listen how awesome a white out is in Beaver Stadium. He was just quoted a few weeks ago saying of all the athletes he has ever interviewed PSU athletes are the most consistent, no matter the decade. And to top that off he said he would love for his own children to turn out like PSU athletes.

He also gushes over Saquon Barkley. You weirdos here have a delusional obsession with hating a guy who is, and has always been, very pro-PSU.

He certainly had the pom poms out in early December 2016. They weren't blue or white though.

You people here are terribly delusional. Herbstreit praises PSU more than probably anyone out there that isn't a beat writer for PSU football. Take off the blue and white glasses and for pete sake, put down the kool-aid.

Reactions: Erial_Lion

I wonder what you expect of these ESPN talking heads. Should they not hype their games at all?

"We're here at Oregon State where we have Stanford... which has NO SHOT OF ANYTHING playing a TERRIBLE OREGON STATE team."

"This game is really going to suck, and it has ZERO NATIONAL IMPLICATIONS"

"STANFORD FANS you may as well just go home because this is pointless"

LdN

He certainly had the pom poms out in early December 2016. They weren't blue or white though.

People blame Herby for not being objective.

What I don’t get is how you can objectively make the argument that OSU didn’t deserve a playoff spot. They were 11-1, with 3 top ten wins, and a lone loss on the road to a top 5 team.

So they lost the H2H game with PSU. H2H doesn’t trump overall record and SOS when trying to rank teams.

People blame Herby for not being objective.

What I don’t get is how you can objectively make the argument that OSU didn’t deserve a playoff spot. They were 11-1, with 3 top ten wins, and a lone loss on the road to a top 5 team.

So they lost the H2H game with PSU. H2H doesn’t trump overall record and SOS when trying to rank teams.
The only problem there is if the situation was reversed, "eye test" would have been replaced with "conference champion" in a heartbeat.

I don't think either would trump the real issue, which was 2-losses vs. 1-loss.

The real issue is that Penn State played an extra game, against the west champion Wisconsin... won... and still didn't somehow jump a team that played no-one.

So, Penn State had 11 wins.

Ohio State wasn't allowed to play that game because they weren't good enough.

LdN

The only problem there is if the situation was reversed, "eye test" would have been replaced with "conference champion" in a heartbeat.

To me, Penn State deserved the 5th spot.
You want to compete for the title, don’t lose twice. And if any argument is made that Penn State deserved a spot then it should have been over Washington. At least, it sends the message that scheduling quality P5 teams matters if you want consideration. Holding OSU out would send the exact opposite message and render out of conference games completely meaningless. I would rather have overall record and SOS have heavier rating over conference champs, in order to preserve the integrity of the OCC games.[/QUOTE]

To me, Penn State deserved the 5th spot.
You want to compete for the title, don’t lose twice. And if any argument is made that Penn State deserved a spot then it should have been over Washington. At least, it sends the message that scheduling quality P5 teams matters if you want consideration. Holding OSU out would send the exact opposite message and render out of conference games completely meaningless. I would rather have overall record and SOS have heavier rating over conference champs, in order to preserve the integrity of the OCC games.
[/QUOTE]

Want to compete for the title, don't lose your conference.

LdN

The real issue is that Penn State played an extra game, against the west champion Wisconsin... won... and still didn't somehow jump a team that played no-one.

So, Penn State had 11 wins.

Ohio State wasn't allowed to play that game because they weren't good enough.

LdN
Actually, they were good enough, if you want to get technical. Penn State made that game because Michigan lost to Iowa on a last second FG. If Michigan beat Iowa, Ohio State goes to the Big Ten title game and not Penn State, without changing any other results.
Oh it most certainly would if the media wanted it to.
Okay. The end result is the debate wasn't even between Ohio State and Penn State, it was between Penn State and Washington.

Actually, they were good enough, if you want to get technical. Penn State made that game because Michigan lost to Iowa on a last second FG. If Michigan beat Iowa, Ohio State goes to the Big Ten title game and not Penn State, without changing any other results.

Okay. The end result is the debate wasn't even between Ohio State and Penn State, it was between Penn State and Washington.

So what you're saying is they weren't good enough. That's the "technical" way to describe it.

11 wins and the conference championship.

What championship did Ohio State win to get in over Penn State?

Just curious.

LdN

Reactions: Gnat91

Well, it can be argued (by anyone w/ a brain) that it was between Washington and putting 2 teams from the same conference in the playoff.

Want to compete for the title, don't lose your conference.

LdN[/QUOTE]

So you’re saying any 3 loss team that won it’s conference is more deserving of a CFP bid than a 1 loss team, with a killer resume, that didn’t make a conference champion game because it lost a H2H tie breaker within it’s division?

Your saying just make conference championships as the prerequisite?

Why even bother playing an OCC schedule then?

If your going to respond back “why play a conference championship then?”

Well, because they obviously mean something. It can either be a nice consolation price or a resume builder to get selected to the CFP.

So what you're saying is they weren't good enough. That's the "technical" way to describe it.

11 wins and the conference championship.

What championship did Ohio State win to get in over Penn State?

Just curious.

LdN
What I'm saying is that the berth in the title game was ultimately decided by a game neither Ohio State nor Penn State played in.

I never claimed they did. I pointed out that clearly the committee clearly values quality wins and fewer losses. Ohio State had more of the former and fewer of the latter. If Penn State hadn't lost to Pitt, they would have been in. Simple.

What I'm saying is that the berth in the title game was ultimately decided by a game neither Ohio State nor Penn State played in.

I never claimed they did. I pointed out that clearly the committee clearly values quality wins and fewer losses. Ohio State had more of the former and fewer of the latter. If Penn State hadn't lost to Pitt, they would have been in. Simple.

OK. In general I was OK with OSU going. I think Penn State did better by playing USC in the Rose Bowl and entering the national spotlight with tremendous play from Barkley.

That said, there are logical arguments each way.

LdN

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
OK. In general I was OK with OSU going. I think Penn State did better by playing USC in the Rose Bowl and entering the national spotlight with tremendous play from Barkley.

That said, there are logical arguments each way.

LdN
You know in hindsight though, maybe Penn State should have made it ;)

I do think they were playing better at the end of the season, however they just took too long getting going early, lost to Pitt, rolled by Michigan and OT win vs. Minnesota and didn't have enough on the schedule later to overcome it.

Reactions: Dr. Evel

I do think they were playing better at the end of the season, however they just took too long getting going early, lost to Pitt, rolled by Michigan and OT win vs. Minnesota and didn't have enough on the schedule later to overcome it.

As almost anyone on this board will say, the Michigan game was against the PSU JV squad.

We were down 4 linebackers. Three were out and a fourth was called for targeting on one of the most ridiculous calls I've seen in my life.

Anyone on any committee that put merit into that game has a screw loose or shouldn't be on the committee.

Michigan ran the same play over and over because we had the equivalent of HS linebacking crew.

LdN

Considering our teams' relative performances in their 2016 bowl games, you really should be laying low in this argument...

As almost anyone on this board will say, the Michigan game was against the PSU JV squad.

We were down 4 linebackers. Three were out and a fourth was called for targeting on one of the most ridiculous calls I've seen in my life.

Anyone on any committee that put merit into that game has a screw loose or shouldn't be on the committee.

Michigan ran the same play over and over because we had the equivalent of HS linebacking crew.

LdN
True, but while I didn't see the game, Penn State also put up less than 200 yards of offense and averaged less than 3.5 yards per play. Not exactly inspiring on that side of the ball either.
At least you have a sense of humor about it lol
Sometimes you gotta laugh to keep from crying.
Considering our teams' relative performances in their 2016 bowl games, you really should be laying low in this argument...
The performance in the bowl games is irrelevant to the decision the committee was making before the bowls were played.

Reactions: Limestone_Lion
You people here are terribly delusional. Herbstreit praises PSU more than probably anyone out there that isn't a beat writer for PSU football. Take off the blue and white glasses and for pete sake, put down the kool-aid.

..and I pet my dog, call him my little Snookems and feed him a biscuit every once in awhile..but I don't let him sit at my dinner table when it is time. That is Herbie's view of PSU. His commentary and bias against PSU during UM game was atrocious.

Reactions: Gnat91
The performance in the bowl games is irrelevant to the decision the committee was making before the bowls were played.

This discussion is about who deserved to be in the playoffs, committee decisions and eye-tests notwithstanding. Ultimately, your Bucks (and Washington) provided the answer in convincing fashion.

This discussion is about who deserved to be in the playoffs, committee decisions and eye-tests notwithstanding. Ultimately, your Bucks (and Washington) provided the answer in convincing fashion.
And yet Penn State didn't beat a non-playoff team in the bowl, even though their showing was better. So perhaps Oklahoma and USC have the real argument here, no?

/QUOTE]

I see what you did there.

If the debate is OSU one of the 4 best teams. They deserved to be in. If it's are they one of the 4 most
deserving. Not so sure. But, the criteria is 4 best I believe. That's why they gave Bama a rematch in 2011 with LSU

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT