ADVERTISEMENT

He was 'The Great One' to so many youngsters of my time...

Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

Jun 9, 2002
The three 'C's of Roberto Clemente: Competitive, Creative, Compassionate. He was the hero of my youth that played sports. The way he played was an extension of how he lived. He was a father to all youngsters within the sphere of influence of his life. Roberto taught me and many my age the concept of living peace through purpose, excellence and service to others.

You hear the word integrity thrown around about sports. A story about Clemente was that he did not agree to do a commercial where he was thrown out. He would not pretend to go all out even with something that wasn't reality.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
He was indeed competitive.
He hated when he was intentionally walked. He would look to swing if the "intentional ball" came close to the plate.
IIRC, once when the Pirate pitching was so bad he said "I want to 'peech'".
He was often misunderstood and perhaps thought to be difficult. Maybe he was, but his heart was always in the right place.

Clemente%20Roberto%20689-97_HS_PF.jpg

He was indeed competitive.
He hated when he was intentionally walked. He would look to swing if the "intentional ball" came close to the plate.
IIRC, once when the Pirate pitching was so bad he said "I want to 'peech'".
He was often misunderstood and perhaps thought to be difficult. Maybe he was, but his heart was always in the right place.

Clemente%20Roberto%20689-97_HS_PF.jpg

I know for sure he was not difficult but often misunderstood. I had the great good fortune to get to sit in the Clemente's box seats on several occasions with Vera and my Uncle and Aunt who had a place in San Juan just across the street from the Clemente family. Once, I got to meet with Roberto at home plate at Forbes Field after a game. He explained his batting stance to me and what he called his 'Heeeet' Zone .... which was his redefinition of his hitting zone to an area inside and outside the pitchers strike zone. It was very difficult to understand his words. Yet, he was able to demonstrate his technique and understanding of space and physics at the plate using a bat to draw lines in the air while standing in his unique batting stance. He peppered the physical demo with a few words many I did not understand. Yet, I was mesmerized and understood enough. I knew I was in the presence of a great and caring human being... after all....who was I to him... to take this time me....a neighbors nephew....some ordinary kid from the foothills of western PA. I glowed for weeks... I still do every once in a while.

PS: My younger brother and I have a few Puerto Rican League baseballs with Roberto's signature on them in ballpoint pen ink. They are in ball cubes now but they faded a lot before we protected them. His signature is as unique as he was. We would love to know if his writing could be enhanced in some way to make it more visible, but afraid to screw up what he wrote.

Last edited:
Although he played with an element of violence to his actions, he was the most graceful player I ever saw play. Not to be confusing, the violence I am referring to could be the swings where he unleashed fury, his throws where I could swear his arm was going to be unhinged, etc. But contrasting that was his grace in all aspects to his game as well. It was almost like a symphony was playing behind his play.

Aaron was a machine and Mays had flair, but Clemente had a style that neither of the others had. Plus Clemente was so proud of his heritage, his abilities, etc that you always took notice. I was always struck and impressed when he would speak Spanish to end his interviews.

For those not around to see and remember the 71 Series, he dominated play like nobody else ever had. He was already aging but for that week plus, he gave you a peak inside his brilliance. Such a special series.

I played baseball against Roberto Junior for a couple of summers in a baseball league in Scott Township. Roberto Jr. hit a number of triples and doubles off of me when I pitched. One time I struck him out to end an inning. The Catcher threw the ball to me.....I put it in my pocket and kept walking. As the top half of the inning was getting ready to start the umpire asked me and the catcher where the game ball was......I told him that I left it on the mound, and waited a few minutes and gave it to my dad to hold on for me in case Roberto Jr. became a star like his father. He did play a lot of minor league ball and I believe that he made a brief appearance in the majors but it was great seeing Vera Clemente coming to the games to cheer on her boy. I had the ball for a few years but probably ended up inserting it into a neighborhood game.

Last edited:
I played baseball against Roberto Junior for a couple of summers in a baseball league in Scott Township. Roberto Jr. hit a number of triples and doubles off of me when I pitched. One time I struck him out to end an inning. The Catcher threw the ball to me.....I put it in my pocket and kept walking. As the top half of the inning was getting ready to start the umpire asked me and the catcher where the game ball was......I told him that I left it on the mound, and waited a few minutes and gave it to my dad to hold on for me in case Roberto Jr. became a star like his father. He did play a lot of minor league ball and I believe that he made a brief appearance in the majors but it was great seeing Vera Clemente coming to the games to cheer on her boy. I had the ball for a few years but probably ended up inserting it into a neighborhood game.

I only knew the boys as children but followed Roberto Jr in the minors.... Vera... a terrific gal. What a cool experience you had and a great memory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT