ADVERTISEMENT

Hard to watch

DrJC

May 29, 2001
Surely, I applaud the win. However, it was agonizing to watch. For the first time there was a breakdown in the defense. OK, they have done a great job all year, including against OSU. AThe offense seems to lack life and confidence. I did not notice any draws or screens, which I thought might be effective against the Indiana defense. Actually I wonder if Pribula would be more effective with his running ability against this type of defense. They need something. What that is I do not know. Maybe the long bomb at the end of the game will provide the shock that will get them moving again. Receivers need separation to help Allar.

Typical Buckeye hangover. Franklion’s teams were 5-4 after the Buckeyes and 4-4 after a loss. Not surprised. Disappointing, yes but I’ve been underwhelmed by this hyped up team all year and especially the offensive coaching. Franklion needs to clean house in order to elevate to next level. But, he won’t. But 10-2 is a nice year with a trip to a nice bowl.

2 blown coverages and a penalty on a return brought back and the game goes very differently. Add that to an OSU hangover and this is what you get.

At least there was no going for it on 4th and 3 with a outer limits pass play from your opponents red zone. Baby steps! Lol

Reactions: PSUfiji
2 blown coverages and a penalty on a return brought back and the game goes very differently. Add that to an OSU hangover and this is what you get.

At least there was no going for it on 4th and 3 with a outer limits pass play from your opponents red zone. Baby steps! Lol
Do you think there is a case to be made for using Pribula more often. I think he might even be an interesting addition at receiver. Reminds me a little of Joe jurevicous.

There was a time when screen passes and draws were PSU's bread and butter. Am I missing something as I have seen very few draws and screens? Do you think they would add a needed dimession?

Reactions: psu00
Draws, screens, traps, but sped up without a bunch of delayed and offs against it eight man front which invites a swarm to meet your running back at the line scrimmage or behind it.

This probably will be considered crazy absurd but I would have a few sets with both Allar and Pribula in the backfield with one of our running backs. Not a bunch of plays, but the options off of such a setup would be incredible.

I don’t see a draw as a winning play as it resembles our standard RPO.

Would like to see more passes over the middle and more runs to the periphery. I would like to put Allan under center and run more with pulling OL. Pitches to the outside, the slow developing runs to Allar and Singleton have been seen and the defenses have reacted to this type of offense, where is our change? Screen passes with 1 on 1 coverage seems like it could be effective if we can just beat the one DB.

Out of left field thought could Hardy add something to the offense with a quick screen or end around, he seems to really be quick and fast. He also seems to have good hands.

Draws, screens, traps, but sped up without a bunch of delayed and offs against it eight man front which invites a swarm to meet your running back at the line scrimmage or behind it.

This probably will be considered crazy absurd but I would have a few sets with both Allar and Pribula in the backfield with one of our running backs. Not a bunch of plays, but the options off of such a setup would be incredible.
Like that thought alot. Both Indiana and OSU said they were going to focus on stopping run and make Allar throw the ball. I think quick slants over the middle could also loosen the defense. Allar needs to get the ball out more Quickly. I also thin this guy might be able to run the ball more effectively than we are giving him credit for.

I don’t see a draw as a winning play as it resembles our standard RPO.

Would like to see more passes over the middle and more runs to the periphery. I would like to put Allan under center and run more with pulling OL. Pitches to the outside, the slow developing runs to Allar and Singleton have been seen and the defenses have reacted to this type of offense, where is our change? Screen passes with 1 on 1 coverage seems like it could be effective if we can just beat the one DB.

Out of left field thought could Hardy add something to the offense with a quick screen or end around, he seems to really be quick and fast. He also seems to have good hands.
A quick pitch to either running back like the old Curtis Enis days would be nice to see once in awhile both are big and punish defenders. One is capable of just blowing through the DB and the other one taking his choice cut if it's there, if it's not take them out.

I find the current overall offensive strategy lacking an awareness of the skills that the skill players have on this team and how to best use those skills. I don't understand why. The eight man front needs cracked. This squad has all that it needs on offense to eliminate seeing eight man fronts. We're not talking something to requires calculus.

Last edited:
Do you think there is a case to be made for using Pribula more often. I think he might even be an interesting addition at receiver. Reminds me a little of Joe jurevicous.
I’m just curious what reminds you of JJ? Big size difference.

Draws and screens are difficult to execute if there is no concern for a downfield pass.
My conern is that other teams are just about playing an eight man line against us to stop the run and force the pass. I think you need to design plays with that in mind.,

Reactions: psu00 and KCLion
Surely, I applaud the win. However, it was agonizing to watch. For the first time there was a breakdown in the defense. OK, they have done a great job all year, including against OSU. AThe offense seems to lack life and confidence. I did not notice any draws or screens, which I thought might be effective against the Indiana defense. Actually I wonder if Pribula would be more effective with his running ability against this type of defense. They need something. What that is I do not know. Maybe the long bomb at the end of the game will provide the shock that will get them moving again. Receivers need separation to help Allar.
If it’s so bothersome for you; don’t watch.

We won and I’m thankful for it. Penn State is far from the only team to have a hangover after a tough game. As much as I wish they’d move on to the next game and forget a tough loss, almost no one is able to do that (including fans).

We won and I’m thankful for it. Penn State is far from the only team to have a hangover after a tough game. As much as I wish they’d move on to the next game and forget a tough loss, almost no one is able to do that (including fans).
Understand. But it does not dismiss the fact that the offense is simply not clicking. And considering the talent level, it is hard to disregard. We have pointed a finger at Yurcich, but maybe we should be looking at the OL coach.

If it’s so bothersome for you; don’t watch.
Being a fan is all about spending years (sometimes decades) being frustrated then hopefully being reward with a title. You all have to get over this "you shouldn't watch if you're going to complain"

Yesterday's game wasn't a good football game. Regardless of spin.

Understand. But it does not dismiss the fact that the offense is simply not clicking. And considering the talent level, it is hard to disregard. We have pointed a finger at Yurcich, but maybe we should be looking at the OL coach.

Yurcich is trending towards John Donovan territory.

Every opposing defense is mimicking what the previous opponent defense did. Despite knowing this, Yurcich has failed to make any meaningful adjustments.

Why did Pribs come in for two plays to run the “Levis, right, Levis, left, Levis up the middle plays” and then Allar comes back in for the victory formation?
Wasted plays. They really could easily design some plays with Pribs, Allar and Allen or Singleton in the backfield. Not understanding the lack of creativity.

Wasted plays. They really could easily design some plays with Pribs, Allar and Allen or Singleton in the backfield. Not understanding the lack of creativity.
There's absolutely no reason to be designing playing with Beau. We need to create an offense around the true pocket passer like other teams do or we shouldn't have recruited him

Maybe he hasn’t proven he can handle it in practice. We as fans are missing a lot of information that is needed to make decisions on who should be playing.

There's absolutely no reason to be designing playing with Beau. We need to create an offense around the true pocket passer like other teams do or we shouldn't have recruited him
I'll have to disagree with you. At least a different look goes teams something tto adjust to. It only needs to used 2-3 times in a game. Pitchh to Pribs on the move, Singleton comes out of backfield on short pattern, Pribs passes to him.

I'll have to disagree with you. At least a different look goes teams something tto adjust to. It only needs to used 2-3 times in a game. Pitchh to Pribs on the move, Singleton comes out of backfield on short pattern, Pribs passes to him.
No - please no.

We can agree to disagree. That's always fine. To me, that's pure desperation and a sign your OC has no clue how to run an offense with the QB he has.

We can agree to disagree. That's always fine. To me, that's pure desperation and a sign your OC has no clue how to run an offense with the QB he has.
Desperation, perhaps, but something different must be tried or teams will continue to stack the box.

If you put both Beau and Drew in at the same time you don't get the extra blocker benefit you have with Beau in by himself. If you're going to use both you might as well keep running it with Singleton and Allen. I wouldn't mind a few plays with Beau mixed in but when you do it Allar should be on the bench to get the full benefit.

I thought the team looked flat and not really ready to play or even interested. Both lines played with zero intensity and the O line looked like they were just putting in time until happy hour. Of course when the game was on the line, everybody woke up. I blame the coaches and the team leaders.

Some letdown from OSU is understandable but...

Lost opportunity to get Allar more good experience. Instead he spent too much time running for his life.

If you put both Beau and Drew in at the same time you don't get the extra blocker benefit you have with Beau in by himself. If you're going to use both you might as well keep running it with Singleton and Allen. I wouldn't mind a few plays with Beau mixed in but when you do it Allar should be on the bench to get the full benefit.
I said a few plays what it does is creates misdirection side to side which will create tears in the mysteriously unsolvable eight man front that seems to baffle our nincompoop offensive coordinator. Bo is a very gifted athlete. Drew is as well. Get ready for the Drew rocket arm to be back and get ready for somebody to wake up in that offensive brain trust and get rid of this stupid delayed handoffs which would make an NFL All-Pro offensive line have to turn around looking and wondering what the hell they're doing. It is the stupidest thing I've ever witnessed in 60 years of watching football.

Last edited:
Reactions: RickinDayton
I thought the team looked flat and not really ready to play or even interested. Both lines played with zero intensity and the O line looked like they were just putting in time until happy hour. Of course when the game was on the line, everybody woke up. I blame the coaches and the team leaders.

Some letdown from OSU is understandable but...

Lost opportunity to get Allar more good experience. Instead he spent too much time running for his life.
I was 100% certain that they were going to play that game in a comatose state unless they were forced to wake up; I’ve seen that act too many times. I remember when PSU came out totally flat against Minnesota after beating OSU in 1997.

I was 100% certain that they were going to play that game in a comatose state unless they were forced to wake up; I’ve seen that act too many times. I remember when PSU came out totally flat against Minnesota after beating OSU in 1997.
lol was that the game when PSU was ranked #1 and beat Minnesota by one point?

lol was that the game when PSU was ranked #1 and beat Minnesota by one point?
Yes. It also was the game in which Aaron Harris tore his ACL. I just remember leaving the parking lot after that great win against OSU, in which Harris and Enis were great, and listening to Beano Cooke on ESPN Radio saying that he couldn’t see anybody beating PSU that season. Then, a week later, we barely beat Minnesota (Paterno actually said that we should’ve lost) and lost 1/2 of our great backfield.

Yes. It also was the game in which Aaron Harris tore his ACL. I just remember leaving the parking lot after that great win against OSU, in which Harris and Enis were great, and listening to Beano Cooke on ESPN Radio saying that he couldn’t see anybody beating PSU that season. Then, a week later, we barely beat Minnesota (Paterno actually said that we should’ve lost) and lost 1/2 of our great backfield.
we always talk about psu getting shortchanged by the polls

1997 was the total opposite, they kept trying to make psu #1 and psu kept trying to look like they shouldn't be there. it was clear from the opener vs Pitt

Being a fan is all about spending years (sometimes decades) being frustrated then hopefully being reward with a title. You all have to get over this "you shouldn't watch if you're going to complain"

Yesterday's game wasn't a good football game. Regardless of spin.
That wasn’t my point. My simple point is that if it was so painful to watch then maybe he shouldn’t. We are talking apples and oranges.

That wasn’t my point. My simple point is that if it was so painful to watch then maybe he shouldn’t. We are talking apples and oranges.
We aren't. The solution isn't turn off the game. It's they need to be better and schedule better

My conern is that other teams are just about playing an eight man line against us to stop the run and force the pass. I think you need to design plays with that in mind.,
all of us on here are armchair coaches who see the obvious problems. We have football professionals makinh $$millions a year and they can't see this? Really makes you wonder.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT