ADVERTISEMENT

Hall/Jordan

Too many people equate beach muscles with strength. Ed Ruth was the human equivalent of rebar and steel cables - wiry strength
Exactly.

And the "issue" with Mark hall isn't strength at all. It's weight. I'd be willing to wager that Jordan was close to 10lbs heavier than Mark at match time. That will wear you down

Catch and release would work against Meyer but would be a lot tougher against Bo. Hall had trouble with Bo's size and by the end of it, was straight up backing out. Hall is a light 74 and is going to have pace his periods...he can't continually attack like Nolf.

The main reason is that Bo gassed him from the bottom. Same thing happened to Lizak against Gilman, although Lizak has a problem with gassing in general.

The main reason is that Bo gassed him from the bottom. Same thing happened to Lizak against Gilman, although Lizak has a problem with gassing in general.

Never heard the gassed him from bottom theory until the Lizak match. Didn't think I would hear it again.

Reactions: fronk71
Never heard the gassed him from bottom theory until the Lizak match. Didn't think I would hear it again.

You didn't hear the Gibbons call? That was one of the first places it came from, it's what I saw too. Lizak has a gas problem but he was out cold midway through the second.

Watched the Hall Bojo match and it was the first thing I thought as soon as the third started.

Just rewatched this match a bunch. Mark has the upper hand the first two periods. Out-wrestles him and has the iniative/pace. In the third he is the only one to get in deep on a shot. This is a performance that really gives one confidence if you watch closely. If he finished the TD in the first period one second earlier he would have won the match fairly easily. The corner he needs to turn is to just deal with the physical demand of seven minutes on the mat with someone like Bo. You can see it coming. If he can keep the same command that he had in the first five minutes into the last two he will own everybody the way he has all his life.

I don't believe it happens often, but I imagine it is possible.
The Hawks were wrestling Penn State in the BJC and Dana Weber headlocked Ironside and held him flat forever (first period) and while Ironside looked pinned numerous times the ref never slapped the mat. Weber put everything he had into squeezing Ironside flat that from the second period on it was all Ironside who won by tech fall. I don't remember the score but Ironside scored a ridiculous amount of points against an exhausted Weber.
Weber gassed from a dominant pinning position, so a top wrestler who has to work super hard to stay on top it makes sense.

With that said I don't think Hall gassed because of his ride. It was the cumulative effect of the weight Jordan had on Hall plus the ride after the reversal.

Not sure about this Ed Ruth and undersized thing. I always thought Ed looked as strong or stronger than just about anybody he wrestled.
You may not be sure, but I am. Ed Ruth had a monster grip. When he had you locked for a cradle...you rarely got out of it.

Just rewatched this match a bunch. Mark has the upper hand the first two periods. Out-wrestles him and has the iniative/pace. In the third he is the only one to get in deep on a shot. This is a performance that really gives one confidence if you watch closely. If he finished the TD in the first period one second earlier he would have won the match fairly easily. The corner he needs to turn is to just deal with the physical demand of seven minutes on the mat with someone like Bo. You can see it coming. If he can keep the same command that he had in the first five minutes into the last two he will own everybody the way he has all his life.

He also wins if he finishes TD at end of 3rd period. He looked like he could reach across and get the other ankle with his free hand, but did not. He was so close to a TD there....so close.

Reactions: Cenosillicaphobia
I don't believe it happens often, but I imagine it is possible.
The Hawks were wrestling Penn State in the BJC and Dana Weber headlocked Ironside and held him flat forever (first period) and while Ironside looked pinned numerous times the ref never slapped the mat. Weber put everything he had into squeezing Ironside flat that from the second period on it was all Ironside who won by tech fall. I don't remember the score but Ironside scored a ridiculous amount of points against an exhausted Weber.
Weber gassed from a dominant pinning position, so a top wrestler who has to work super hard to stay on top it makes sense.

With that said I don't think Hall gassed because of his ride. It was the cumulative effect of the weight Jordan had on Hall plus the ride after the reversal.

Hall didn't look tired until after failed TD attempt late 3rd - Hall fired off a shot in late 3rd, got in super-deep, but just didn't quite finish it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT