ADVERTISEMENT

Hackenberg gets destroyed (link)

You cannot blame a QB for an unblocked DE. The RT and back blew their blocking assignments.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Not a good showing and this hit may be the beginning of the end for Hackenberg, not that he even got out of the starting gate. I'm a life long suffering Jets fan and for the life of me couldn't understand taking him in the 2nd round. But the Jets are a terrible organization starting at the top. Not sure if Hack will get another shot down the road or not with a more competent organization. I kind of doubt it.

1. What the hell was his running back doing going out for a pass when the defensive end was standing there looking clearly like no one was gonna block him? The back could have at least chipped the DE.

2. What did Hack do when he came up to the line of scrimmage? Isn't a pro QB supposed to survey the line of scrimmage to determine if there is adequate blocking, and perhaps consider an audible if necessary? The DE who got him came from his right, not his left (which is supposed to be his blind side). Doesn't Hack deserve some blame for that fumble?.

How do you know he didnt slide the protection right or make the right call?

I don't get why people enjoy seeing Hack struggle?
I do and to a point, I'm one of them. However, it's really nothing against Hack himself. It's just that there's some built-up resentment from all the people, mostly media, who incorrectly blamed Hack's poor play on the Penn State coaching staff. They claimed that he didn't fit the offense when in reality, Franklin was running a straight drop-back passing system that should have been right for Hack. The weak OL combined with Hack's slow style of play was the real problem.

I do and to a point, I'm one of them. However, it's really nothing against Hack himself. It's just that there's some built-up resentment from all the people, mostly media, who incorrectly blamed Hack's poor play on the Penn State coaching staff. They claimed that he didn't fit the offense when in reality, Franklin was running a straight drop-back passing system that should have been right for Hack. The weak OL combined with Hack's slow style of play was the real problem.

Yeah, I don't think anyone enjoys seeing Hackenberg struggle. He was one of the primary reasons we had winning seasons in the sanctions era and he came here knowing he may never play in a bowl game. That's rare character.

Having said that, the expectations for him were really high--probably WAY too high. Some people held onto those expectations for his entire career and justified his poor play by saying "Franklin ruined him." It's not that people enjoy seeing Hackenberg struggle, it's just that it's validation for those who believed in the coaching staff and felt that Hack had a ceiling that was holding the offense back.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Yeah, I don't think anyone enjoys seeing Hackenberg struggle. He was one of the primary reasons we had winning seasons in the sanctions era and he came here knowing he may never play in a bowl game. That's rare character.

Having said that, the expectations for him were really high--probably WAY too high. Some people held onto those expectations for his entire career and justified his poor play by saying "Franklin ruined him." It's not that people enjoy seeing Hackenberg struggle, it's just that it's validation for those who believed in the coaching staff and felt that Hack had a ceiling that was holding the offense back.

This statement is incorrect: "Yeah, I don't think anyone enjoys seeing Hackenberg struggle." There are those who blame him for not mentioning CJF when he thanked PSU. This despite he said it was an oversight, that CJF didn't have any problem with it, and Hack has been invited to participate on the sidelines by CJF on several occasions (B/W and a regular season game last year when the Jets had a bye).

Sorry to keep walking over well worn paths, Hack needs to develop pocket sense or the big hits will ruin him for good. He should have anticipated this one coming. He took it standing up vs. trying to run away or duck! This has to be a concern. Most Penn Stater are wishing him success but they are skeptical.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT