ADVERTISEMENT

Gus Johnson....Fox Sports

bkmtnittany1

Jan 12, 2014
Was it just me or was this guy ecstatic that Iowa won???? He announced the game like he had Iowa and the under and giving 1.5 points. I thought he was gonna have a coranary after the last Iowa pic. BTW....I noticed how he didn't say how stupid it was for the Iowa safety to intercept a ball 20 yards downfield on 4th down!

Was it just me or was this guy ecstatic that Iowa won???? He announced the game like he had Iowa and the under and giving 1.5 points. I thought he was gonna have a coranary after the last Iowa pic. BTW....I noticed how he didn't say how stupid it was for the Iowa safety to intercept a ball 20 yards downfield on 4th down!
He’s always like that for whichever team pulls into the lead. I like him when we’re winning, but not so much when we’re losing. I really think he’s one of the few unbiased broadcasters out there. He just likes to have fun in his job.

Gus orgasms for every play of 5+ yards. By the end he gets excited about whomever is in the lead because he’s all dried out at that point.

Gus orgasms for every play of 5+ yards. By the end he gets excited about whomever is in the lead because he’s all dried out at that point.
Still can't believe nobody said a word on how dumb it was to intercept that last throw. I get it was the last play of the game, but the ball should have been knocked down....

I normally like Gus and Joe but they were so bad Saturday. They repeated themselves all day. Plus had mistakes continuously. A Classic was at the end of the 1st Qtr when Klatt said...if PS can move quick and score they get the ball to start the second half.

He’s always like that for whichever team pulls into the lead. I like him when we’re winning, but not so much when we’re losing. I really think he’s one of the few unbiased broadcasters out there. He just likes to have fun in his job.
Whenever we get those two, I feel like they just want to hang out and talk and watch football. They miss obvious things, sometimes forget to call the play. They get downs and players names wrong. It's like they aren't always paying attention. If that is the best that Fox has, that's a shame.

Reactions: KC-KS-Lion
Gus isn't bad, not the best but far from the worst. Hes slipped a bit the last few years but as mentioned he plays up the team with the momentum.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I like Gus and Joel (better than any other crew at least), but they did not have their best game on Saturday. Gus sounded off for whatever reason.

Reactions: Ohio_Pirate
Still can't believe nobody said a word on how dumb it was to intercept that last throw. I get it was the last play of the game, but the ball should have been knocked down....
They are just padding stats at that point. Every defensive player in the country is trying to intercept a pass in that scenario – including any of our players. They weren’t trying to set up field position to drive back down the field or anything.

I like Gus and Joel (better than any other crew at least), but they did not have their best game on Saturday. Gus sounded off for whatever reason.
This is my take as well. I like when Gus is on the call – he goes over the top on everything but you know that going in. It’s his schtick. They were just slow on details and names/numbers for some reason Saturday. Not their best effort.

Reactions: cavic
I normally like Gus and Joe but they were so bad Saturday. They repeated themselves all day. Plus had mistakes continuously. A Classic was at the end of the 1st Qtr when Klatt said...if PS can move quick and score they get the ball to start the second half.
I thought that was miller lite induced on my end.....i kept looking at the qtr and seeing 1st.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
I loved him calling the B1G championship game against Wiscy but I've found him to be annoying since then. I get he's trying to insert excitement but, at some point, it is over the top. I mean it is like "Penn State substitutes out Lee for Ford. Not just a Ford but a MUSTANG! It is 3rd and THREE. THREE and LEE!!! Klatt, click and CLATT, you know your cars! What did you see that PLAY! Gain of ONE! Clifford looked like GIFFORD on that one! Frank Gifford.

• Haha
Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
He did, but I’ll admit, that was a long 1st quarter.

Like above, I liked Johnson's enthusiasm against Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship game, probably beacsue we won and the energy was for our side. I was feeling nauseated by him during the "JK ALl DAy" game against OSU the next year (or maybe the year after.

This past Saturday i was watching the weekly PSU show with JayPa and Tom Bradley that runs in Phila are at 7:30 AM. They interviewed Johnson as a part of the show. He admitted that he gets uber-excited becasue he loves sports so much. It made me see him more as a person as opposed to just an announcer (who sometimes grates on my nerves) :) I'm cutting him a little slack at this time.

Reactions: NittanyLionFan
He is trying to be the modern day Keith Jackson, but (while a nice guy) is a very poor substitute.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT