ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest Movie Ever?

What was the greatest movie ever made?

• Roadhouse

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • Tombstone

Votes: 42 58.3%

• Total voters
I'm an old fart, High Noon-Gary Cooper/Grace Kelly; Casablanca- Bogart/Bergman & African Queen Bogart/Hepburn are my favorites and of course Walt Disney's Peter Pan! I can't not watch Contact; Independence Day and Remember the Titans whenever they are on while I'm browsing.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Lawrence of Arabia
Dr. Zhivago
and . . . drum roll please
Deep Throat
Well, if you are going to go there "I am Curious Yellow", "Debbie Does Dallas" and "Behind the Green Door" so I'm told by others are masterpieces. Yeah, agree with Dr. Zhivago. The number of women named Lara from that film was pretty high. What guy wasn't infatuated with Julie Christie? If you run into a 45 year old Lara ask her if her father didn't tell her she was named from the movie. I usually ask because I named my middle daughter after her and am never surprised that others did as well. It's probably a family thing though,my brother named his daughter after a Playboy Centerfold (hasn't told his wife though).

Ricky Bobby says.”Highlander won the academy award for greatest movie ever made”

Well, if you are going to go there "I am Curious Yellow", "Debbie Does Dallas" and "Behind the Green Door" so I'm told by others are masterpieces. Yeah, agree with Dr. Zhivago. The number of women named Lara from that film was pretty high. What guy wasn't infatuated with Julie Christie? If you run into a 45 year old Lara ask her if her father didn't tell her she was named from the movie. I usually ask because I named my middle daughter after her and am never surprised that others did as well. It's probably a family thing though,my brother named his daughter after a Playboy Centerfold (hasn't told his wife though).
Pretty funny response. You're sure you heard of those "other movies" from, uh, others?

Reactions: gslachta
Goodfellas, Jaws, and Pulp Fiction. Can't make up my mind. And I do consider Forrest Gump a very likable movie. It's an over-indulgence like eating a whole bag of candy. It's one of those that I just can't turn off when I run across it on the channels kind of like Shawshank Redemption, Saving Private Ryan, and JFK.

Reactions: razpsu

"The film was shot in 65 mm Dimension 150 by cinematographer Fred J. Koenekamp and has a music score by Jerry Goldsmith. Patton won seven Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Original Screenplay. Scott won Best Actor for his portrayal of General Patton, but declined to accept the award".
Didn't you go to school with Patton?

Amen. There are so many things wrong with that movie I don’t know where to begin.
I can tell a couple things right about it. You can watch it with your family without having to bleep out every other word. It’s not the most in depth movie in the world, but it’s got some great sports scenes!;)

Not the best ever, but certainly enjoyable and not mentioned yet:

Fletch
Fargo
Midnight Run
Con Air
Witness
Vacation
Die Hard
The Enforcer
Terminator

The last American virgin.

I did my best but my best wasn’t good enough....

Didn't you go to school with Patton?
Na, my father was captured on Bataan and tortured for 3 1/2 years, and he did live where so many of our GI's parished due to the torture that was delt to them. God Bless them, for allowing America be America.

And what have you sacrificed for the betterment of our nation? Voting for a political eunuch.

I can tell a couple things right about it. You can watch it with your family without having to bleep out every other word. It’s not the most in depth movie in the world, but it’s got some great sports scenes!;)

I can watch Teletubbies with the whole family too, but I wouldn’t recommend that either.

My top 5
The Seven Samurai
The Passion of Joan of Arc
The African Queen
Unforgiven
Blade Runner

Quite a range there.

Joans through cinematic history:

fd23350842d12209564d692265f8d56c9a08dfdb.jpg

9d1835099fe00b3c68f0b0f6db89f2a1.png

joanofarc_wide-f7b5816568909668a0561319842f348e5063ed14.jpg

joan-messenger-3jeanne.jpg

300d0983b8cbdf81be08a892eae93ea4.jpg

Reactions: Nittany_93
Na, my father was captured on Bataan and tortured for 3 1/2 years, and he did live where so many of our GI's parished due to the torture that was delt to them. God Bless them, for allowing America be America.

And what have you sacrificed for the betterment of our nation? Voting for a political eunuch.
Sorry, I did not mean to offend you. Hopefully no others ever have to experience what your father an many fighting with did during WWII.

Good, not the GOAT -- I believe either Citizen Kane or Gone with the Wind deserve the honor!
I always thought - what’s the big deal with Clark Gable? Then I watched Gone with the Wind. Now that’s a movie STAR - his presence is amazing. He commands your attention in every scene. My favorite scene is when he interrupts the whooping and hollering when it’s announced at the party that the war has started. His monologue dampening their enthusiasm is amazing

The Greatest Movie Ever Made was the Wizard of Oz in 1939......and second place is not even close.

I get its historical significance, but can you really say the plot, direction, cinematography, and acting is the best ever? It changed film forever based on a technological change....but the story/acting isn't even enjoyable to me.

I think you have to go back to childhood when movies were magical. No movie left a bigger impression or took me for more of an emotional ride than ET. Best ever.

Reactions: NedFromYork
- It's a Wonderful Life
- Godfather 1 & 2
- Saving Private Ryan
- Goodfellas
- Forest Gump

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT