ADVERTISEMENT

Great 90s rock

From what I can tell, the lyrics of this decade and sense are much more nihilistic/ negative than the wonderful, positive songs of an earlier day (I.e. doo-wop etc.) I admit an age bias.
Right or not?

From what I can tell, the lyrics of this decade and sense are much more nihilistic/ negative than the wonderful, positive songs of an earlier day (I.e. doo-wop etc.) I admit an age bias.
Right or not?
I believe the contemporaneous descriptor of choice was "angst," and yes, I would generally agree with your assessment.

Last edited:
Right or not?
I just depends on the genre of music.

If you want to go old school, when doo-wop was popular, there were certainly genres (e.g. blues) that were dealing with much darker topics (infidelity, poverty, hellhounds, satan).

In the 90s you had pop nothings singing about the high school crushes (or whatever) and you had grunge acts singing about school shootings, heroin, depression, etc.

Some of it obviously depends on what you can get away with in a given decade. For example, a song called "Rape Me" could never have been released in the 1950s.

Right or not?

I'm curious about the lyrical content of future music being created under the current conditions. I feel like it's going to be a major contributor to nearly every band.

Agreed about the direction bands took. Although you could trace a lot of it back to the late 80s. Guns n Roses essentially killed hair metal and it's fun times / life's a party / women are fun vibes with the rougher side of nearly the same topics. Grunge came to the forefront by '91 and put those bands out to pasture for nearly a decade (they are all doing nostalgia gigs now instead of trying to force new music on people who don't want it FROM THEM), but Grunge was around for a couple years before it hit mainstream.

It's like right now, a large portions of the bands in the hard rock / alt metal genre are incorporating a lot of electronic parts in their songs mirroring a lot of the current pop / top 40 scene; I f'n hate it. Even the mighty Pearl Jam made a new song right in this vein (Dance of the Clairvoyants) and it's awful.

GYATDAMN SNOT!!! I haven’t listen to them in years!!!

My favorite line from that album “Say something for the record...tell the people how you feel”. “F@$K THE RECORD...AND F@$K THE PEOPLE!!” Then rips into the title track!

I just added that to my playlist.

Sad story but this song from Sevendust is about the lead singer of SNOT after he died. Lajon and Clint and Lynn were very close. Great song...

Reactions: djr4rebs
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT