ADVERTISEMENT

Gotta feel for Mr. Cassar

GhostK

Mar 15, 2018
Defeated #1 seed Moore but didn't get a chance to go to the big dance.

Can't fault Cael & co. for going for the bigger bonus point upside but I can't shake the feeling that if Cassar had gone today we would be sending a semifinalist at 197 tonight.

Cassar wrestles more conservatively, has a better gas tank and has more size than Sugar Sheed. I think he would have won today and not gassed.

What could have been.

I hope Anthony sticks around to compete for a spot next year and doesn't take a cruiseliner to NJ.

Reactions: Ranger Dan

Can't fault Cael & co. for going for the bigger bonus point upside but I can't shake the feeling that if Cassar had gone today we would be sending a semifinalist at 197 tonight.

Cassar wrestles more conservatively, has a better gas tank and has more size than Sugar Sheed. I think he would have won today and not gassed.

What could have been.

I hope Anthony sticks around to compete for a spot next year and doesn't take a cruiseliner to NJ.

Jesus what does it take to get a ban around here?

What could have been.

I have no info , but would be shocked if after the year he had , he would stay. Would you?

He's too good to be riding the pine. He will start somewhere imo. If not at PSU, then somewhere else. He's from NJ...Rutgers would be a logical choice.

RU already showed the intraconference waiver rule means little

What could have been.

Up to this past loss Rasheed had 2 bonus point wins. I don't think Cassar gets bonus...and who says he beats Macchiavello if he couldn't beat Rasheed in a wrestle off?

Reactions: mn78psu83
Cutch would have been in the finals....
Cutch was 1-1 with Machiavello 2 years ago at 184. Rasheed came very close to Machiavello today. At the NCAA's anything can happen. Just ask Sorenson, Moore, Lavallee, Shields etc etc. BTW--the last comment wasn't addressed specifically to you YGWC--just in general when some posters get frustrated with an unexpected loss.

Jesus what does it take to get a ban around here?

As we can see, the overabundance of posts about seeding, perceived stall tactics, "luck", challenges, or bad calls by the referees, don't qualify, that's for goddamn sure!

Seriously guys, it's a very bad look for our fan base (see: e.g, Iowa board) and flat-out embarrassing, especially when you factor in the "should-haves" by select PSU wrestlers in this tournament.

It reminds me of the loser high school dads who used to all stand together near the end zone at high school football games bitching about their own coach and everything else. Losers, all of them.

Cutch was 1-1 with Machiavello 2 years ago at 184. Rasheed came very close to Machiavello today. At the NCAA's anything can happen. Just ask Sorenson, Moore, Lavallee, Shields etc etc. BTW--the last comment wasn't addressed specifically to you YGWC--just in general when some posters get frustrated with an unexpected loss.

2-1 record against him and the loss I believe is where Cutch got hurt at the Nittany lion open.

Definitely think the nerves are getting to Rasheed a little bit. Just needs to let loose and be himself.

I think we have to see where Shak places before we star talking about it should have been Cassar. No doubt the loss stings especially when Shak would have had a matchup with an unseeded wrestler in the semi's.

F- for effort.

F- minus for content.

F- for originality.

I hope your next username is better than this one.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Another thread not aging well.....

Coulda been more, but Shakur scored us 9.5 CRITICAL points, and I'm super grateful for his effort, and Cassar's role in getting him ready cannot be undervalued. Mouse's leadership too. Thanks guy!

Cassar will be wrestling 197 next year if he stays as healthy as he is right now....

I agree. Cassar has been off the mat mostly nursing injuries for the past 2 years. His best is still in front of him, and his best can be very, very good. I think Cael sees this potential and was leaning Cassar but Rasheed won the wrestle off which is always a tough gauge when the guys wrestle each other every day and get to know each others style and tendencies like the back of their hand. Cassar has an A+ neutral game, the perfect body for the weight and is very strong. If he could be 20-30% more aggressive he would have won out this year. I think he comes back, beats Sheed in a wrestle off and is top 4 next year. I am a huge Shraken supporter but I think we all saw he is a bit of a one trick pony and without the cradle is isn't quite what we thought he was going to be for us both in Bug 10's and Nationals. 7th is very solid and he delivered critical points for the team, but he under-bonused since duals, once the word got out on who he is. I think elite talent have him figured out and his gas tank is still a little suspect late in the third despite his not having to cut weight. I hope Cassar sticks it out and delivers like I think he will for us next year - I am a big fan!

Reactions: matter7172
Rasheed may have under-bonuses compared to “our” expectations. But his 3 bonus points equal Nolf’s So far and are more than Nevill’s 2 and Nickal and Joseph’s 1 each so far. I’m not disappointed!

Yeah, Rasheed did well. I suspect he really did injure something in the wrestleoff, but still a great performance. Outscored 3 years of Cutch in his first try (9.5 to 7.5)

2-1 record against him and the loss I believe is where Cutch got hurt at the Nittany lion open.

Definitely think the nerves are getting to Rasheed a little bit. Just needs to let loose and be himself.
I think your right. Shak seems a little tight, and that will make you tire as well.

Rasheed is very, very talented. He's gotten the first TD against everyone not named Moore since January, I believe. Rasheed is slick, but he seems to struggle against the super strong 197 pounders like Moore and Machiavello. I suspect he would struggle with Haught and Conel as well. Against the really strong guys, I think Cassar has the edge. Against everyone else, Rasheed might have better results.

Rasheed is very, very talented. He's gotten the first TD against everyone not named Moore since January, I believe. Rasheed is slick, but he seems to struggle against the super strong 197 pounders like Moore and Machiavello. I suspect he would struggle with Haught and Conel as well. Against the really strong guys, I think Cassar has the edge. Against everyone else, Rasheed might have better results.
could be right , but in the end Cael made the right decision and Shakur made us all proud! He worked hard in the tournament to score points.

could be right , but in the end Cael made the right decision and Shakur made us all proud! He worked hard in the tournament to score points.
Yes, I agree. To be clear, I wasn't questioning the coaches call in any way--just making observations of their possible differences based on body size of opponent, based on what I saw here in Cleveland.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT