ADVERTISEMENT

Good summary of spring ball...

Will be fun to watch. Read a lot about Moorehead's offensive scheme when we was hired. Should take advantage of the talent we have at RB and WR.

No mention of Zembiec at all in any spring write-ups.....is he a distant 3rd or planning on RS?

No mention of Zembiec at all in any spring write-ups.....is he a distant 3rd or planning on RS?
I've heard Franklin mention him in interviews that he is doing well, but others have a leg up due to time in program. He has frequently mentioned that Trace's extra year in program and bowl game experience have been the difference thus far. I get the impression that the QB battle really isn't a battle, but Franklin doesn't want Trace to feel safe and is trying to develop competition at the position.

I've heard Franklin mention him in interviews that he is doing well, but others have a leg up due to time in program. He has frequently mentioned that Trace's extra year in program and bowl game experience have been the difference thus far. I get the impression that the QB battle really isn't a battle, but Franklin doesn't want Trace to feel safe and is trying to develop competition at the position.

Don't know how true this is but it makes sense but from what I hear, the QB battle is a 2 man race between Zembiec and Stevens with Stevens as the front runner. I would expect Zembiec to redshirt unless he wins the starting job or is needed for multiple starts due to injury.

I am very curious to see what the plan will be this fall for Connor McGovern. It would appear Gaia is going to be the center. With McGovern getting some reps at T does he play as a second team T and C and gain experience for 2017? Does he redshirt? Very tough call for Franklin IMO.

First, wealth is looking better.

Second, best B/W game, as far as fan interest, in years. This year, we have a new OC and new DC. We've also got a new QB. Not only that, the O is as different as anything we've seen at PSU since the 50's.

But what makes this different than BOB's and CJF's first BW (aside from the radicle new offense) is we are at full strength. We've got a lot of youth and a full roster. At the same time, a lot of position battles. And, can't forget BOB's weird B/W game rules.

But I am more interested in the football aspect of B/W this year than I have been in, like, forever.

Don't know how true this is but it makes sense but from what I hear, the QB battle is a 2 man race between Zembiec and Stevens with Stevens as the front runner. I would expect Zembiec to redshirt unless he wins the starting job or is needed for multiple starts due to injury.
That is very different than what Franklin has indicated in interviews, but we might find out very soon or in the fall at the latest. I think they are giving Stevens a good look and like his size, maybe Zembiec too. Unless he is the starter, would have to think Zembiec redshirts.

Last edited:
"Both guys have really live arms," Godwin said. "The ball really jumps off their hands when they throw it. Being that Tommy is a little taller, the ball comes out at a slightly different angle. Other than that, their throwing styles are pretty similar. Any throw on the field, they can make." Thought David Jones said McSorley had a limp arm?Guess he has no idea what he is talking about.

Reactions: ChandlerPearce
Zembiec? Was that an error? Did you mean Trace?

Reactions: step.eng69
"Both guys have really live arms," Godwin said. "The ball really jumps off their hands when they throw it. Being that Tommy is a little taller, the ball comes out at a slightly different angle. Other than that, their throwing styles are pretty similar. Any throw on the field, they can make." Thought David Jones said McSorley had a limp arm?Guess he has no idea what he is talking about.

The problem with this is that there is film of McSorley, and he can't make all the throws which I why I am inclined to believe what I have been told about the QB race that it is a two man race for the starting position.

Last edited:
"puts our skill guys into position to make plays and be athletes"

This is what we need to do in order to take pressure off of the new QB and improving O line...

That is very different than what Franklin has indicated in interviews, but we might find out very soon or in the fall at the latest. I think they are giving Stevens a good look and like his size, maybe Zembiec too. Unless he is the starter, would have to think Zembiec redshirts.

It's a tight 2 man race withTrace currently leading. JZ probably shirts IMO. That dude is a troll if you have read any of his posts.

Reactions: bsmith51
You mean the live game situation where he nearly rallied the team to a come from behind victory against one of the top defenses in country while throwing 2 touchdown passes?

Against something close to a prevent defense and the staff was terrified of letting him throw the sidelines on the final drive.

Reactions: Louisville JD

Sorry, but I don't take too much of what Franklin says seriously at this point.

For the second part, that is what I have heard. If Zembiec doesn't win the job, he will redshirt.

C'mon Judge, we all should know that you can't believe anything Franklin says. :rolleyes:

Right, like when the number one player he was hyping last spring was a little known former walk on defensive end who had never started a game in his life, including high school?

For the most part, the players Franklin has praised have translated well into production on the field.

You mean the live game situation where he nearly rallied the team to a come from behind victory against one of the top defenses in country while throwing 2 touchdown passes?
Or the live game situation where he zipped one out to the sideline from the far hash. McSorley has plenty of arm.

Reactions: canuckhal
I'm confused by the positive vibes in this thread. Where the hell am I?

;)

Against something close to a prevent defense and the staff was terrified of letting him throw the sidelines on the final drive.
I'll defer to your superior football knowledge but shouldn't prevent defenses be MORE difficult to throw TD passes against? Aren't they designed to BBDB and give up short passes rather than TD throws?
he can't make all the throws
Which throws can't he make? Are you referring to the sideline passes that you later referenced?

I'll defer to your superior football knowledge but shouldn't prevent defenses be MORE difficult to throw TD passes against? Aren't they designed to BBDB and give up short passes rather than TD throws?

Which throws can't he make? Are you referring to the sideline passes that you later referenced?
troll.jpg

I don't care who starts at QB and trust the staff to make the right decisions. TM looked good against GA, but that GA defense was tuned to stop CH....a big difference. Regardless, he looked solid with a good arm.

My biggest concern with TM is his size. he looks very small. I wonder if he can last a year as a running QB.

Reactions: Ski
I don't care who starts at QB and trust the staff to make the right decisions. TM looked good against GA, but that GA defense was tuned to stop CH....a big difference. Regardless, he looked solid with a good arm.

My biggest concern with TM is his size. he looks very small. I wonder if he can last a year as a running QB.

Brees did it at Purdue, but it was just enough every now and then. You don't have to run him 10 times a game at all. 3-4 times a game keeps that DE from collapsing and the few times the DE doesn't he picks up 10-15 yards. I also don't think height equates to durability. The same concerns about a QB getting hurt are there if you are 6-3 or 6-0. He should be plenty solid in his 3rd year in the program. I'm also glad to hear that Stephens is right on his heels.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT