ADVERTISEMENT

Good news for USMNT (fussball)

He really showed me a lot in the friendlies last fall...another guy that should play a key role in our future.

What is his background that allowed him to pick what national team to play for?
"Born in New York City to Ghanaian parents, Musah could also have represented England, Italy or Ghana. He spent his early childhood in the Italian city of Castelfranco Veneto but moved to London with his family when he was 9. Musah was part of Arsenal's academy, and he went on to represent -- and captain -- England at various levels, most recently the under-18s in 2019. He was also called up to represent their U19 team in October 2020. "

I really like the progress of American soccer and team USA

World Cup qualifiers start next fall and PA KID Christian pUUUUUlisic about to show off. I can't wait.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
I really like the progress of American soccer and team USA

World Cup qualifiers start next fall and PA KID Christian pUUUUUlisic about to show off. I can't wait.

Pulisic needs to get out of Chelsea. They have a history of not really taking advantage of young talent. Mo Salah, Kevin de Bruyne, and Lukaku.

Pulisic is like a guy who went to a new job and really excelled. And then a new boss comes in who worked with him at a previous job and can't see how much he progressed. It sucks. Tuchel is just not the right guy to help Pulisic go forward. I would love to see him end up at liverpool.

I know some idiots will poopoo it because someone has to sooner or later, but if you're not excited about the youth coming up right now for the USMNT, you're out of your mind.
For an extremely casual fan, when you are excited, is this qualifying for the World Cup or actually competing for it? Not trying to be an ass, just wondering whether USMNT will be competitive in the near future.

For an extremely casual fan, when you are excited, is this qualifying for the World Cup or actually competing for it? Not trying to be an ass, just wondering whether USMNT will be competitive in the near future.

I would say it’s being competitive in the World Cup. I don’t think that means competing to win it, but it means the ability to advance, not just qualify.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
super glad that we got him but the rules for what country you can represent in international sports are sometimes insane

Reactions: psu2016

The United States is still 20-30 years away from actually winning a world cup. It is a really really tough thing to do.
That being said, they came very close to getting into the Quarter finals in 2014.

This could be the most talented USA team ever and it is still very young. But it is worth realizing that even with that talent, all of the top teams in Europe have way more than we do. Even the Swiss, who have such a smaller population to draw from, have a really Solid team that we would LOVE to have.

But we are getting there. Pulisic is what Landon Donovan could have been. We also have some great potential at striker coming through.

The United States is still 20-30 years away from actually winning a world cup. It is a really really tough thing to do.
That being said, they came very close to getting into the Quarter finals in 2014.

This could be the most talented USA team ever and it is still very young. But it is worth realizing that even with that talent, all of the top teams in Europe have way more than we do. Even the Swiss, who have such a smaller population to draw from, have a really Solid team that we would LOVE to have.

But we are getting there. Pulisic is what Landon Donovan could have been. We also have some great potential at striker coming through.

Who are you referring to at striker? Sargent? Dike?

I would like to see the U.S. get to the World Cup quarterfinals with games where we dictate the pace and control the ball. Less scoring on counterattack and rely on a goalkeeper to save the game. And I want to see the U.S. beat Costa Rica on their field during World Cup qualifying.

Reactions: LionJim
Who are you referring to at striker? Sargent? Dike?

I would like to see the U.S. get to the World Cup quarterfinals with games where we dictate the pace and control the ball. Less scoring on counterattack and rely on a goalkeeper to save the game. And I want to see the U.S. beat Costa Rica on their field during World Cup qualifying.

I was referring to Geo Reyna, but I do know that many consider him a midfielder. Dike is looking good as well. Tim Weah has a lot of potential. Josh Sargent is still only 21. Konrad De la fuente is still hanging in at Barca. We just need one or two.

We should easily qualify and should be expected to get out of the first round in the upcoming years. The bulk of our talent though is under 22 years of age if not younger so it may not be right around the corner but in the upcoming years. Winning a WC is never easy no matter who you are, but we literally used to have a few kids in the best leagues, but now we have kids on the best teams in the best leagues. Barcelona, Juventus, Chelsea, and quite a few on good German sides too. Progress is being made and it's great to see....but it's not a switch you flip overnight. We are still lacking in a few areas, but overall it's a pretty good young group.

Last edited:
We should easily qualify and should be expected to get out of the first round in the upcoming years. The bulk of our talent though is under 22 years of age if not younger so it may not be right around the corner but in the upcoming years. Winning a WC is never easy no matter who you are, but we literally used to have a few kids in the best leagues, but now we have kids on the best teams in the best leagues. Barcelona, Juventus, Chelsea, and quite a few on good German sides too. Progress is being made and it's great to see....but it's not a switch you flip overnight. We still lacking in a few areas, but overall it's a pretty good young group.
I really enjoyed this summary.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
We have more top league talent spread around Europe than we ever have in history. Not only top leagues, but starting caliber and contributing. The future is bright.

For those hardcore USMNT fans, a reminder that the u23 team plays at 5:30pm on FS1. Huge game, against Costa Rica in the CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying tournament. We're in a group with Mexico and Costa Rica (and the Dominican Republic, who will likely be a punching bag for the other 3 teams), the tournament is in Mexico, and only the top 2 teams make it out of the group to keep the Olympic hopes alive. I'd say today is the key game to make it happen.

I only watched part of the game today. 1-0 win for USA. We need to beat the DR next.

I only watched part of the game today. 1-0 win for USA. We need to beat the DR next.
Played ok...probably a pretty favorable result given how the game played out. Ochoa was huge for us in goal (think he had 9 saves in the shutout), and Costa Rica hit the post once too.

The Dominican Republic isn't anything to write home about, so we're in pretty good shape to go no worse than 2-1 and lock up 2nd place in the group, which would bring up a win and we're in against a team from the other group on the 28th for the Olympic bid.

The draw turned out pretty crazy with us, Mexico, and Costa Rica in the same group, however now that we've gotten past today's hurdle, it probably benefits us since I think whoever we play in the other group will likely be worse than Costa Rica (Honduras is probably the best squad on that side).

Reactions: GreggK
We should easily qualify and should be expected to get out of the first round in the upcoming years. The bulk of our talent though is under 22 years of age if not younger so it may not be right around the corner but in the upcoming years. Winning a WC is never easy no matter who you are, but we literally used to have a few kids in the best leagues, but now we have kids on the best teams in the best leagues. Barcelona, Juventus, Chelsea, and quite a few on good German sides too. Progress is being made and it's great to see....but it's not a switch you flip overnight. We are still lacking in a few areas, but overall it's a pretty good young group.
Does our youth have the overall speed the French players had a couple of years ago?

“ very close” to quarters in 2014? The game where Tim Howard set the record for saves in an World Cup game? We looked like a D2 college team vs. Begium.

We were closer in 2002 and were still dominated by Germany in that one.

Reactions: Breeze90
“ very close” to quarters in 2014? The game where Tim Howard set the record for saves in an World Cup game? We looked like a D2 college team vs. Begium.

We were closer in 2002 and were still dominated by Germany in that one.

I’m not saying we deserved to be close, just that we were. We hit the post twice. One of those go in, we go to a shoot out and who knows

Don’t know if anyone else commented on it, but the most frustrating part of Sunday’s Switzerland game for me was ESPN’s handling of the start of it...NCAA softball game ran late (and turned into a blowout), so they bumped the USMNT game to another channel/platform and didn’t get to it until halfway through the first half. Also had zero pre or post match coverage outside of the two hour window. ESPN has long been a friend of US Soccer, but Sunday was a huge disappointment.

Big game tonight...first time we get to see this next generation in something meaningful (and a team like Honduras will give a good sense of what playing in CONCACAF is like, expect it to be ugly). Would love to take care of business and then get Mexico on Sunday to see where we’re at.

Reactions: Alphabets
Big game tonight...first time we get to see this next generation in something meaningful (and a team like Honduras will give a good sense of what playing in CONCACAF is like, expect it to be ugly). Would love to take care of business and then get Mexico on Sunday to see where we’re at.
TV is CBSSN, kickoff 7:30 ET.

I know some idiots will poopoo it because someone has to sooner or later, but if you're not excited about the youth coming up right now for the USMNT, you're out of your mind.
The issue is we've heard that story a million times and it's yet to really work out.

Still 5 years away? Or are they ready to qualify for the world cup in a year? That Switzerland debacle was ugly.
Definitely a heavy favorite to qualify for the World Cup, but also 5+ years away from peaking with this group.

And I didn’t find the Switzerland game to be a debacle at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT