ADVERTISEMENT

Good article on Franklin's Akron comment ***

Love it. Have gotten to the point where I simply don't care what others say about us, especially whiny sports writers from Pittsburgh. Eat it.

Reactions: cavic and Obliviax
Love it. Have gotten to the point where I simply don't care what others say about us, especially whiny sports writers from Pittsburgh. Eat it.

Agree.....It was said for a reason, and it hit home in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Ski
I'm surprised the media hasn't picked up on the words "Super Bowl" and taken that to mean CJF is leaving for the NFL. I wouldn't put it past them at this point.

Last edited:
Agree.....It was said for a reason, and it hit home in Pittsburgh.

Thanks for sending the link, it explains where Franklin is coming from really well.

And while it makes news in Pittsburgh, Franklin wasn't aiming the message primarily at people in western Pa. The remark was for PSU fans.

He's telling PSU fans it's time to move on, Pitt is in the past. Of course Pitt wants a permanent home and home series but it ain't happening.

Penn State's peers are going to be UM and Ohio State and the perennial top 10 programs. That's who PSU will measure themselves against.

yep....for many of us....in the 45 years of age or younger crowd....we don't even remember Pitt really being a power and so we don't really give two shits about pitt. I care about national relevance and not what some lowly beat writer in pittsburgh thinks.

Pitt = Temple. Really. The histories of the programs are totally different, but where they are now -- pretty similar. It's fun to play them occasionally because they're in-state and there is so much alumni overlap.

But Franklin's vision (which is clearly Barbour's vision) is more ambitious than to just be "Beast of the East" like it's the 70s or something. They want PSU to be one of the 8 or 10 super-elite programs nationally.

I posted that he wasn't disssing Akron. He was just saying they (Pitt) are just another team on the schedule. Will we ever have a white out for Pitt? Unlikely.

Thanks for sending the link, it explains where Franklin is coming from really well.

And while it makes news in Pittsburgh, Franklin wasn't aiming the message primarily at people in western Pa. The remark was for PSU fans.

He's telling PSU fans it's time to move on, Pitt is in the past. Of course Pitt wants a permanent home and home series but it ain't happening.

Penn State's peers are going to be UM and Ohio State and the perennial top 10 programs. That's who PSU will measure themselves against.
I'm in full agreement, let's cancel the rest of the series and move on to better opponents.

I'm in full agreement, let's cancel the rest of the series and move on to better opponents.

Or play a home and home every 15 years, for old time's sake. That's all it needs to be right now. I don't know why they scheduled four games -- it's two too many.

Or play a home and home every 15 years, for old time's sake. That's all it needs to be right now. I don't know why they scheduled four games -- it's two too many.
Actually it's four too many, but I get your point.

Actually it's four too many, but I get your point.
I didn't know it was six, that really sucks. Not that I mind playing Pitt every once in a while, but you'd like to see some other decent nonconference opponents. Like, for example, UCF -- that was a fun little series.

I guess that I took his comment differently. I did not see any comparison of the Pitt and Akron teams or prorgrams; I thought that he said that the WINS were equivalent. And he was right. Georgia State will be the same. I assume that conference wins will be close to the same but with more weight because they count toward the conference title. I saw nothing in his remark pertaining to a "rivalry".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT