ADVERTISEMENT

Golden Age of Streaming

PS4814

Jul 28, 2016
The State of Paranoia
We're living in the golden age of streaming right now - but we're charging headlong into the dark days with every studio and content creator starting their own streaming device. In 2019 we can look forward to the following companies starting up their own ad-supported or paid services:

Info pulled from this article - https://www.consumerreports.org/streaming-media-devices/new-streaming-services-to-check-out/

- Amazon Free Drive - ad-supported like the Roku channel that will focus primarily on an older catalog of licensed TV shows
- Apple - It will reportedly offer a mix of family-friendly fare that includes original Apple programming plus a number of subscription channels such as HBO and Starz.
- DC Universe - includes a mix of new exclusive original series, classic live-action TV shows, movies from the DC library, specials and shorts, digital comic books, and a daily news show.
- Disney - this could be a real punch to the gut for Netflix. "CEO Bob Iger cited a number of 2019 titles that will stream exclusively on Disney's new service, including an Avengers movie, “Toy Story 4,” “The Lion King,” “Frozen,” “Aladdin,” and “Dumbo.” And, he said, “We’ve talked about a Marvel series, a ‘Star Wars’ series, a Disney-branded series—‘High School Musical,’ for instance,” along with new, original movies. All “Star Wars” movies released in 2019 or later will available on the service, along with older ones once their licensing deals expire. The company is in negotiations to purchase 20th Century Fox, home to movie franchises such as “Avatar,” “Deadpool,” and “X-Men” and TV shows such as “The Simpsons” and “Empire.” Fox also owns the highly regarded Fox Searchlight studio (which produced “The Shape of Water” and “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”), the FX cable channel (which produced “American Horror Story”), and NatGeo. The purchase will also make Disney the majority owner in the Hulu streaming service."
- Walmart / Vudu - the service will hit at the end of this year and include some original content as well as licensed TV shows and movies. Earlier reports said Walmart was looking to price the new service at about $8 per month.
- WarnerMedia / HBO - the service will include Warner Brothers movies and TV shows, along with content from Turner cable channels such as Cartoon Network, TBS, TNT, and Turner Classic Movies. Reportedly will cost more than HBONow.

For those that are streaming right now through any means such as YouTubeTV, HuluTV, PSVue etc., and/or have a combination of Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, CBS, what are your thoughts on the future of the of streaming. What services would you drop/add from any current or planned options? I'm personally considering a rotation on which I'm subscribed to depending on when shows are released.

We're living in the golden age of streaming right now - but we're charging headlong into the dark days with every studio and content creator starting their own streaming device. In 2019 we can look forward to the following companies starting up their own ad-supported or paid services:

Info pulled from this article - https://www.consumerreports.org/streaming-media-devices/new-streaming-services-to-check-out/

- Amazon Free Drive - ad-supported like the Roku channel that will focus primarily on an older catalog of licensed TV shows
- Apple - It will reportedly offer a mix of family-friendly fare that includes original Apple programming plus a number of subscription channels such as HBO and Starz.
- DC Universe - includes a mix of new exclusive original series, classic live-action TV shows, movies from the DC library, specials and shorts, digital comic books, and a daily news show.
- Disney - this could be a real punch to the gut for Netflix. "CEO Bob Iger cited a number of 2019 titles that will stream exclusively on Disney's new service, including an Avengers movie, “Toy Story 4,” “The Lion King,” “Frozen,” “Aladdin,” and “Dumbo.” And, he said, “We’ve talked about a Marvel series, a ‘Star Wars’ series, a Disney-branded series—‘High School Musical,’ for instance,” along with new, original movies. All “Star Wars” movies released in 2019 or later will available on the service, along with older ones once their licensing deals expire. The company is in negotiations to purchase 20th Century Fox, home to movie franchises such as “Avatar,” “Deadpool,” and “X-Men” and TV shows such as “The Simpsons” and “Empire.” Fox also owns the highly regarded Fox Searchlight studio (which produced “The Shape of Water” and “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”), the FX cable channel (which produced “American Horror Story”), and NatGeo. The purchase will also make Disney the majority owner in the Hulu streaming service."
- Walmart / Vudu - the service will hit at the end of this year and include some original content as well as licensed TV shows and movies. Earlier reports said Walmart was looking to price the new service at about $8 per month.
- WarnerMedia / HBO - the service will include Warner Brothers movies and TV shows, along with content from Turner cable channels such as Cartoon Network, TBS, TNT, and Turner Classic Movies. Reportedly will cost more than HBONow.

For those that are streaming right now through any means such as YouTubeTV, HuluTV, PSVue etc., and/or have a combination of Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, CBS, what are your thoughts on the future of the of streaming. What services would you drop/add from any current or planned options? I'm personally considering a rotation on which I'm subscribed to depending on when shows are released.

Yeah, but will ultimately make paying for cable and a bunch of content you don’t care about obsolete. So, maybe a net positive.

Reactions: Grant Green
I wish there was more of a luxury based service where you could just hook up a box to your TV for a slightly higher price, and just get a bunch of live TV content, that doesn't require streaming.

I assume most of us have done quite well financially after we graduated from PSU and could afford such a luxury.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
If you're a man over 60, you are indeed in the Golden Age of Streaming.:)

national-trust-pee-compost.jpg

I'm glad to see it, but most of these services (including Disney) are going to be based on a back-catalog of old movies and shows that everybody's already seen (and those that haven't have no desire to). Maybe some people want to watch Lion King and the Little Mermaid over and over, but once was enough for me.

I think Netflix is once again following its own data and making the smart decision. They elected to cut the budget for licensing old movies (which they know their viewers are tired of) and are pouring an incredible amount of money into buying original, exclusive content. The Netflix budget for content is $13 BILLION just for 2018, which is almost hard to believe. That buys a ton of stuff -- even if only 20% of it is worth watching, that will be hundreds of shows a year, plenty for me.

I cancel Netflix usually once a year but then find myself resubscribing in a month or two -- because there's some great show or movie I want to see.

I wouldn't bet against Netflix and Amazon. (I also wouldn't bet against Comcast and internet providers because at this point they are in a symbiotic relationship with Netflix and Amazon.) Netflix needs Comcast and increasingly Comcast needs Netflix -- without video streaming, a lot of people have no need for a terrestrial internet connection anymore, they can browse the web through their cellular connection.

Meanwhile Disney and Fox and Warner are at a big disadvantage because they're trying to please two masters -- the old world of broadcast/cable/movie distribution and the world of streaming. Even if you understand a paradigm shift, it doesn't mean you can steer a giant industry to a totally different business model. Ask the people who've been trying to save newspapers for 25 years.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see it, but most of these services (including Disney) are going to be based on a back-catalog of old movies and shows that everybody's already seen (and those that haven't have no desire to). Maybe some people want to watch Lion King and the Little Mermaid over and over, but once was enough for me.

I think Netflix is once again following its own data and making the smart decision. They elected to cut the budget for licensing old movies (which they know their viewers are tired of) and are pouring an incredible amount of money into buying original, exclusive content. The Netflix budget for content is $13 BILLION just for 2018, which is almost hard to believe. That buys a ton of stuff -- even if only 20% of it is worth watching, that will be hundreds of shows a year, plenty for me.

I cancel Netflix usually once a year but then find myself resubscribing in a month or two -- because there's some great show or movie I want to see.

I wouldn't bet against Netflix and Amazon. (I also wouldn't bet against Comcast and internet providers because at this point they are in a symbiotic relationship with Netflix and Amazon.) Netflix needs Comcast and increasingly Comcast needs Netflix -- without video streaming, a lot of people have no need for a terrestrial internet connection anymore, they can browse the web through their cellular connection.

Meanwhile Disney and Fox and Warner are at a big disadvantage because they're trying to please two masters -- the old world of broadcast/cable/movie distribution and the world of streaming. Even if you understand a paradigm shift, it doesn't mean you can steer a giant industry to a totally different business model. Ask the people who've been trying to save newspapers for 25 years.

This, basically.

Netflix original content is worlds better than what is currently produced by Hulu and Amazon, especially in terms of production quality. Handmaid's Tale (Hulu) and The Man in the High Castle (Amazon) are the only shows that rival even the shittiest Netflix productions.

Hulu's "advantage" over Netflix comes in the form of current TV shows and Hulu Live TV. Hulu's catalog of movies and other shows is not good. Even with those, Netflix technology is superior and can deliver better quality pictures (4K).

Amazon Prime Video has an advantage over Netflix & Hulu in that you can "rent" movies. Otherwise, what is available to watch for free is almost universal garbage or available elsewhere.

I have Hulu. I had Sling, but the channels have been watered down, and if you want the comparable channels as Hulu, it costs about the same.

Hulu offers most of the major over the air channels. The only one lacking is PBS. They also carry BTN, and have all the major college football games on. I don't care too much about the pros or other sports.

In addition, for a few bucks more, I can watch a lot of programs and movies with limited or no commercials at whatever time I want.

Original content is of little interest to me. Its just something that will tie up more of your time that can be used in other endeavors.

With lots of other streaming channels, you'll end up with spending as much you would with cable.

This, basically.

Netflix original content is worlds better than what is currently produced by Hulu and Amazon, especially in terms of production quality. Handmaid's Tale (Hulu) and The Man in the High Castle (Amazon) are the only shows that rival even the shittiest Netflix productions.

Hulu's "advantage" over Netflix comes in the form of current TV shows and Hulu Live TV. Hulu's catalog of movies and other shows is not good. Even with those, Netflix technology is superior and can deliver better quality pictures (4K).

Amazon Prime Video has an advantage over Netflix & Hulu in that you can "rent" movies. Otherwise, what is available to watch for free is almost universal garbage or available elsewhere.

Can't agree - The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and The Romanoffs (especially this) have very high quality and production value. And there isn't a cast anywhere that can rival The Romanoffs (noting it is an anthology). Otherwise, you're mostly right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Aloha T
This is my issue with the app age we live in, in general. Back in the day, technology was largely standardized on 1-2 platforms, making most content accessible to anyone on those platforms (DVD vs. HD-DVD or VHS vs. Beta, Playstation vs. Xbox, for example). Now the number of platforms with exclusive rights and content continues to grow and if sometimes the content you want requires you to purchase access to a large number of platforms, which can completely erode the savings aspect if you're not mindful of this. Standardization isn't always a bad thing.

so all these providers are getting into original content as in general, Netflix and other have been around long enough that the amount of old shows to watch is dwindling as everybody has watched them already. Once you binge watch the Office or Grey's Anatomy then you are done with it.

So what is the difference between Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc...original content and 50 years ago when ABC, NBC, CBS were doing original content. It is just coming full circle in that respect.

Can't agree - The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and The Romanoffs (especially this) have very high quality and production value. And there isn't a cast anywhere that can rival The Romanoffs (noting it is an anthology). Otherwise, you're mostly right.

Even with those, Netflix has far more original productions, each of which has a production quality on par.

I have Hulu. I had Sling, but the channels have been watered down, and if you want the comparable channels as Hulu, it costs about the same.

Hulu offers most of the major over the air channels. The only one lacking is PBS. They also carry BTN, and have all the major college football games on. I don't care too much about the pros or other sports.

In addition, for a few bucks more, I can watch a lot of programs and movies with limited or no commercials at whatever time I want.

Original content is of little interest to me. Its just something that will tie up more of your time that can be used in other endeavors.

With lots of other streaming channels, you'll end up with spending as much you would with cable.

Watching a show on a broadcast TV network via Hulu and watching one on Netflix is the exact same thing.

Even with those, Netflix has far more original productions, each of which has a production quality on par.

Right, and I love Netflix original programming. But some isn't truly original, though Netflix is the only place most folks can see them (Peaky Blinders, Black Mirror for example). House of Cards may be the gold standard in 'original' programming but even that was a knock off of a British show of the same name.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT