ADVERTISEMENT

Going to a lottery system for student tickets

So, why is it different dates for each class? Is there a set amount of tickets assigned to each class or do some classes (I'd guess upperclassmen) get more? Or does the amount of requests impact how many are assigned to each class?

There is no perfect solution, but I do hate the lottery approach. It's going to be too easy now for a die-hard fan at University park to be shut out in favor of a kid at a branch campus that has no interest in going to games and is just looking to make a profit.

I'd love for them to a) find a way to reward those that do go to every (or most) games, and penalize those that only got to a few and sell the rest. Obviously doesn't work with Freshman, but I hate the thought of some students profiting off tickets while those that really want them lose out in the lottery. And also b) make it more difficult to sell/transfer tickets to the bigger games. Let the university control the resale market for those games, and again, try to take away the incentive for buying tickets just to sell them and make a profit.

If students aren't going to show up the school can sell more seats to the general public at a higher price.
How, exactly, does that work? They've paid for the seats. Do you start selling the empty seats after the first quarter?

The players want to be employees, get paid and not go to class. Why would it matter for students to come in and not watch peers?

We should just abandon the idea of school and students.

Athletes and peons who don't matter.

If they have no money to buy club seats, begone.

How, exactly, does that work? They've paid for the seats. Do you start selling the empty seats after the first quarter?
Of course not. I think PSU alots 21,000 seats for students. They sell out but assume only 19,000 actually show up for most games. PSU might decide to reduce the allotment to 20,000 for the following year which means they have 1,000 additional to sell to the general public.

All UP students should get football tickets for free - its not like they aren't paying to go to PSU in the first place. F’ing money grab.

Reactions: NealPaige
Every student should have an opportunity to attend a football game during their 4 (or more) years at Penn State.

The solution, IMO, is to either sell single game tix where you can get no more than 2 or 3 games, or offer a variety of 2- or 3-game plans such that there are 20,000 student tix sold for every game.

I believe this would also help with students not showing up since the tix would go to students that want to be there.

A friend had a son that attended Auburn and he told me that students were guaranteed only 1 Iron Bowl in their 4 years (2 home games).

Reactions: doctornick
Every student should have an opportunity to attend a football game during their 4 (or more) years at Penn State.

The solution, IMO, is to either sell single game tix where you can get no more than 2 or 3 games, or offer a variety of 2- or 3-game plans such that there are 20,000 student tix sold for every game.

I believe this would also help with students not showing up since the tix would go to students that want to be there.

A friend had a son that attended Auburn and he told me that students were guaranteed only 1 Iron Bowl in their 4 years (2 home games).
I hate the thought of limiting students to only a few games each season. I would be in favor of offering some additional partial season ticket packages to students that won't go to every game (ie, the biggest game paired with 2-3 lesser games), but the thought of a die hard student fan getting shut out of over half the games would really suck.

Many students aren't going to show up for the Thanksgiving game, a crap game in bad weather, etc, regardless of how the circumstances.

Another idea is to oversell the student tickets. The first 21,000 students to enter the stadium, actually get in.

After 21,000 students go through the gates, the ticket scanners shut off.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Another idea is to oversell the student tickets. The first 21,000 students to enter the stadium, actually get in.

After 21,000 students go through the gates, the ticket scanners shut off.
You’d be setting up a really ugly situation at the gates for the big games…can’t see that working

Reactions: dan15701
Student tickets have always been "scarce". If they wait, someone is always going home, sneaking off to see a girlfriend etc.

Someone is always willing to dump a ticket.

I hate the thought of limiting students to only a few games each season. I would be in favor of offering some additional partial season ticket packages to students that won't go to every game (ie, the biggest game paired with 2-3 lesser games), but the thought of a die hard student fan getting shut out of over half the games would really suck.

Many students aren't going to show up for the Thanksgiving game, a crap game in bad weather, etc, regardless of how the circumstances.

With the previous phone-in system or the new lottery, there is a good chance that your die-hard student fan gets to see ZERO games.....now THAT would really suck.

I am talking about giving EVERY student a chance to see a couple of games each and every year.

the lottery would be fine if it was open for ten/fifteen/twenty minutes at 7am. Having it open for a week is insane.

With the previous phone-in system or the new lottery, there is a good chance that your die-hard student fan gets to see ZERO games.....now THAT would really suck.

I am talking about giving EVERY student a chance to see a couple of games each and every year.
In the "old world" of mailing it in, I never knew one person that really wanted tickets that didn't get them. Even in the online world, those that I knew that really wanted them go them, and would have safeguards in place like multiple devices, multiple people trying for them, etc. Anything like that is better to me than a straight lottery...and/or only letting students get a maximum of a few games.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
No big deal. Many of the late arrivals don't show up until the second quarter.
True for a crap game...but for the biggest games, you'd be turning away people right before/at kickoff...it would be a complete cluster-f outside (and hence why you'd never see it happen).

True for a crap game...but for the biggest games, you'd be turning away people right before/at kickoff...it would be a complete cluster-f outside (and hence why you'd never see it happen).
I remember a lottery when I was at PSU in 1969. I didn't do great - a borderline number - but my roommate got a top number. Served in Germany.

• Wow
Reactions: CentexLion
All UP students should get football tickets for free - its not like they aren't paying to go to PSU in the first place. F’ing money grab.
Agreed '84. Typical money grab. We pay out of state tuition, and it's exorbitant. Daughter is entering her senior year and will be an elementary school teacher. We'll never see that money back, but she's happy, and that's all that matters. She loves to play golf, and those money mongers won't let the students play free. $34.00 student rate on the Blue Course. Disgrace, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Reactions: joeaubie21
Why stop at football tickets? Should students get into every concert for free? Get unlimited free Creamery Ice Cream? Unlimited free nights at the Nittany Lion Inn?

The idea of giving every student free football tickets would result in a) a huge financial shortfall, that will be paid by someone (hint, most likely it would be the students paying for it through increased tuition), and b) tens of thousands of empty seats at nearly every football game.

Reactions: dan15701
Agreed '84. Typical money grab. We pay out of state tuition, and it's exorbitant. Daughter is entering her senior year and will be an elementary school teacher. We'll never see that money back, but she's happy, and that's all that matters. She loves to play golf, and those money mongers won't let the students play free. $34.00 student rate on the Blue Course. Disgrace, they should be ashamed of themselves.

But think of all the freebies the BoT and administration are grabbing up for themselves.

I remember a lottery when I was at PSU in 1969. I didn't do great - a borderline number - but my roommate got a top number. Served in Germany.
I got 118 and they went to 195 that year. Had to join the Army Reserves to stay out of Nam.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
All UP students should get football tickets for free - its not like they aren't paying to go to PSU in the first place. F’ing grab.
Not for free
I don't recall having difficulty getting tickets.

I think all students should be able to attend football games but the people in charge need to know how many to set aside. If they set aside too many for students they will have fewer available for the general public.

I believe from 1980 to 1985 the tickets were by lottery and all games were on one pass. I remember waiting for the mail to arrive to see if I got a ticket or not. You had to be careful with your ticket because if you gave it to someone for a friend, you may never see it again or if lucky just miss the next game if they took it home with them.

There is no perfect solution, but I do hate the lottery approach. It's going to be too easy now for a die-hard fan at University park to be shut out in favor of a kid at a branch campus that has no interest in going to games and is just looking to make a profit.

I'd love for them to a) find a way to reward those that do go to every (or most) games, and penalize those that only got to a few and sell the rest. Obviously doesn't work with Freshman, but I hate the thought of some students profiting off tickets while those that really want them lose out in the lottery. And also b) make it more difficult to sell/transfer tickets to the bigger games. Let the university control the resale market for those games, and again, try to take away the incentive for buying tickets just to sell them and make a profit.
Agreed, this is going to prevent some students that are big fans from getting tickets in favor of some looking just to sell. I liked the old way better, it at least forced you to put in some effort to get the tickets so that weeded out some of the casuals and resellers. It wasn't perfect, but is better than a completely random lottery.

What they really need to do is start tracking attendance by student ID and come up with a point system that rewards those that are attending football games and other athletic events. More points = more lottery entries, or you could even guarantee tickets to those that reach a certain point level. Then the die hards are more likely to get tickets and less likely to sell them as these are the fans that actually attend the events.

Reactions: bison13
So, why is it different dates for each class? Is there a set amount of tickets assigned to each class or do some classes (I'd guess upperclassmen) get more? Or does the amount of requests impact how many are assigned to each class?
I am guessing load balancing so people don't overwhelm the system. It a lottery so it doesn't matter if every one signs up in one day or over a month.

I believe from 1980 to 1985 the tickets were by lottery and all games were on one pass. I remember waiting for the mail to arrive to see if I got a ticket or not. You had to be careful with your ticket because if you gave it to someone for a friend, you may never see it again or if lucky just miss the next game if they took it home with them.
I think that is correct - i think i may have an old punched ticket but I always got tickets - had senior tickets for 3 year and i’m not even a doctor.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
I think that is correct - i think i may have an old punched ticket but I always got tickets - had senior tickets for 3 year and i’m not even a doctor.
I have 3 of my 4. The only one that I'm missing: 86 Championship. Loaned it to a romantic interest to go into the last home game while I sat with my dad. Never saw the ticket again.

I think during our football game at Maryland there was some talk about how full their student section was. Apparently they tie basketball seating to attendance of all games- including football. So kids have incentives to show up for the FIU (football) or Del State basketball game.

Attendance = continued tickets. Can you confirm Bison?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT