ADVERTISEMENT

GE Range Hood

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
Venting: I built a new home and ordered a GE Range Hood that was pretty damned expensive. It turns out they don't ship a light bulb with the hood. (WTF 1) It is a highly specialized bulb (WTF 2) and after two trips (HD and Lowes) and buying three bulbs that didn't work, I ordered it from GE for ~ $30.

I get the bulb, plug it in and everything works fine. I sell the house and upon inspection, they determine the hood fan squeaks (WTF 3) so my contractor orders and installs a new one. Of course, he didn't' take out the bulb before shipping it back so I ordered a new one.

A month later the new homeowner asks me about the bulb and I call GE. After waiting on hold for a half-hour (WT F4), they tell me that there is no such order (WTF 5) (even after I gave them the order number). So I ordered a new bulb. It is out of stock (WTF 6) so I have to wait several weeks.

Yesterday, I get a text from FedEx that my order is on its way and was to be delivered yesterday. I call the new homeowner and tell them I'll have a bulb to them today. Guess what? No friggen bulb. (WTF 7) Back to GE today and we'll see what happens.

No wonder companies go out of business. Total shit show of a company and a complete mess.

tumblr_mhirltzNW11r8xv9uo1_500.gif

I would have said FU to the squeaky fan hood being a repairable item post home inspection.
Home is a very high end home and it was under warranty. The buyer, since it was newly built, hired a company to inspect it and came away with 30 or so action items subject to closing the transaction (getting the money). All were very minor (scuffs, one was a toilet handle that wasn't machined properly and had a sharp edge). So it was no big deal, had them all done on two days except for the range hood.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I would have said FU to the squeaky fan hood being a repairable item post home inspection.

Yeah, that is a bit of a reach, and he is certainly going above and beyond for the bulb.

I bought all GE cafe appliances for our place and I needed a new water filter, it came in a week after I ordered. Must be a different division.

Home is a very high end home and it was under warranty. The buyer, since it was newly built, hired a company to inspect it and came away with 30 or so action items subject to closing the transaction (getting the money). All were very minor (scuffs, one was a toilet handle that wasn't machined properly and had a sharp edge). So it was no big deal, had them all done on two days except for the range hood.
GE is short for Good Enough. 😉

I just sold the condo I bought new and lived in for 18 months. The buyer also included a noisy range hood in the inspection report. I tried to dance around addressing it because it didn’t seem major. The buyer would not budge because “We deep fry a lot.” The hood was still under builder warranty, and the builder had to come out to remove a paper from the fan motor. I felt ridiculous when that was the repair.

Reactions: Sharkies
Built a new home 4 years ago with all GE kitchen appliances. After 15 months the handle came off on the nuke. Scheduled a repair through GE. Warranty was good for 12 months. Repair guy tells us it’s not repairable and we need a new door which will arrive in 2 weeks. 2 weeks later he arrives to replace the door. The new is cracked. So, another door is ordered, it takes 2 weeks to arrive and another 2 weeks for the repair. He opens the box and the third door has a broken hinge. Now, another 2 weeks goes buy to get the door and another two weeks to get the repair. Door #4 finally works.
We have had every kitchen appliance repaired atleast once. The appliances are GE’s premium line. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Reactions: dailybuck777
GE is short for Good Enough. 😉
My Niece's husband is an appliance repair tech and always said GE stood for ' Good enough '. I worked with some GE engineers back in the 80's at the Limerick Nuclear Power plant. One of them had a sign that read, " The only thing that GE ever made that didn't suck was a vacuum cleaner!"

Last edited:

If it's a very high end home, it wouldn't have GE appliances is in.

Built a new home 4 years ago with all GE kitchen appliances. After 15 months the handle came off on the nuke. Scheduled a repair through GE. Warranty was good for 12 months. Repair guy tells us it’s not repairable and we need a new door which will arrive in 2 weeks. 2 weeks later he arrives to replace the door. The new is cracked. So, another door is ordered, it takes 2 weeks to arrive and another 2 weeks for the repair. He opens the box and the third door has a broken hinge. Now, another 2 weeks goes buy to get the door and another two weeks to get the repair. Door #4 finally works.
We have had every kitchen appliance repaired atleast once. The appliances are GE’s premium line. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Monogram?

I get the bulb, plug it in and everything works fine. I sell the house and upon inspection, they determine the hood fan squeaks (WTF 3) so my contractor orders and installs a new one. Of course, he didn't' take out the bulb before shipping it back so I ordered a new one.
So you sold the house before inspection what is your concern?

GE Monogram appliances are good for high end homes. I researched them all and the so-called top name brands all have issues. Wolf Ranges and ovens are the subject of multiple class action lawsuits over the inside paint peeling. Those ovens will set you back 10 large. Thermador appliances get mixed reviews despite their high price tag. Sub Zero also has problems fighting off lawyers on warranty claims. No perfect selection out there even if budget is large.

So you sold the house before inspection what is your concern?
I have no idea what you are talking about. The buyer hired their own inspector (post-sale included in the sale contract) and I've got no problem with that and that has NOTHING to do with GE and the mess they've made of our transaction.

Not really true....it had a Wolf Range, a SubZero fridge and a Bosch dish washer. The hood was behind the cabinets (not an exposed hood) and that is simply a fan, filter and light. We had zero push back on appliances from prospective buyers. And, BTW, the buyer paid list and wrote a personal check.

I have no idea what you are talking about. The buyer hired their own inspector (post-sale included in the sale contract) and I've got no problem with that and that has NOTHING to do with GE and the mess they've made of our transaction.

Pretty rare that the sale was not contingent on the inspection, if I am understanding your situation correctly.

well it didn't have GE appliances (it did have a GE appliance, if a range hood is considered an appliance)

Hey, I'm on your side. So you still live on the lake?

Hey, I'm on your side. So you still live on the lake?
:)
Yes, and the house I built was on the lake as well. Dude bought it, cash, for his 20-something daughter that was moving back to the area (unemployed) due to COVID.

Reactions: Fac
Pretty rare that the sale was not contingent on the inspection, if I am understanding your situation correctly.
well, you sign a contract that is contingent upon inspection. So you have a contract contingent on the satisfactory performance of other obligations). Being a newly built home, tons of stuff is under manufacturer's warranty. But there were also issues with driveway, drainage, lawn, landscaping that hadn't been completed yet. Most of the home was wifi that they couldn't test because there was no service (garage door opener, Fridge, thermostats, whole house generator, etc.). A lot of stuff had never been used like electrical in the spare bedrooms and plumbing in bathrooms. So there was a lot to do. I don't have any problem with them wanting to, nor asking for remediation on a newly built home. The fan did squeak and it should have been a very simple issue.

BTW, the bulb came today...FedEx screwed up (which is pretty rare, at least for me, they've been a good company)

situations like this are why you negotiate a lump sum deducted from the contract for all requested repairs, and call it a day. Let the new homeowner worry about it. not worth spending time and effort on nonsense like this.

situations like this are why you negotiate a lump sum deducted from the contract for all requested repairs, and call it a day. Let the new homeowner worry about it. not worth spending time and effort on nonsense like this.
I am not sure where this is coming from. This is SOP here in NE Ohio. You do a deal subject to verification that everything is in order; beyond what a lay person would see. The list was very reasonable (scuffs on walls, nail pops, a defective handle, the range hood squeaking). It took two days to remediate on a home that most of us could never dream of owning. The home owner can refuse requests. We once had a guy that said the gutters were clogged (not this house but a "used" one several years ago). We told him that this was a maintenance issue, like paying your gas bill, and he accepted that.

One of my businesses is being a landlord. GE is notorious for having bad appliances. I have had good luck with Whirlpool and the nice thing about Whirlpool is that quite often their parts are interchangeable between different models. I sold a non-working washer on craigslist one time and had about 10 people offered to buy it because of the parts.

I bought GE Wi-Fi lights about 18 months ago. You have to be a rocket scientist to try to use them and they always screw up. I have given up on them.

Venting: I built a new home and ordered a GE Range Hood that was pretty damned expensive. It turns out they don't ship a light bulb with the hood. (WTF 1) It is a highly specialized bulb (WTF 2) and after two trips (HD and Lowes) and buying three bulbs that didn't work, I ordered it from GE for ~ $30.

A month later the new homeowner asks me about the bulb and I call GE. After waiting on hold for a half-hour (WT F4), they tell me that there is no such order (WTF 5) (even after I gave them the order number). So I ordered a new bulb. It is out of stock (WTF 6) so I have to wait several weeks.

Yesterday, I get a text from FedEx that my order is on its way and was to be delivered yesterday. I call the new homeowner and tell them I'll have a bulb to them today. Guess what? No friggen bulb. (WTF 7) Back to GE today and we'll see what happens.

No wonder companies go out of business. Total shit show of a company and a complete mess.

tumblr_mhirltzNW11r8xv9uo1_500.gif
I bought a GE clock radio in the 1995 timeframe. It came with one replacement bulb. The original burned out about 10 years later. When the replacement burned out about another 10 years later, I wasn't sure GE still built let alone supplied replacement bulbs. After calling a few of the bigger brick and mortar stores with no success, I googled the small number on the bulb. One result was for an online shop based in the Carolinas...although I was off by one digit-I mistook a '5' for a '6' or vice versa. I called the supplier. The charge was $0.49 a piece with a $5.00 shipping charge. At first I was going to order a dozen, but that would have lasted 100 years or so. So I got 6. The clock and radio still work, get decent reception.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I don't know, maybe NE Ohio is stuck in the 80s. give it a try next time.
It actually works very well. It validates that the seller isn't hiding anything from the buyer. So it really eliminates a lot of lawsuits. The challenge is that it does increase the negotiation period and some ambiguity. Some people refuse the offer. I actually refuse the offer and tell them I don't sign an agreement (and take it off the market) and tell them to get their experts in pronto but if I get a better offer, its gone. But this was a new house with a lot of the infrastructure untested. It was also a home well over $1m so there is another level of scrutiny that one must expect when the buyer is making that kind of investment.

It actually works very well. It validates that the seller isn't hiding anything from the buyer. So it really eliminates a lot of lawsuits. The challenge is that it does increase the negotiation period and some ambiguity. Some people refuse the offer. I actually refuse the offer and tell them I don't sign an agreement (and take it off the market) and tell them to get their experts in pronto but if I get a better offer, its gone. But this was a new house with a lot of the infrastructure untested. It was also a home well over $1m so there is another level of scrutiny that one must expect when the buyer is making that kind of investment.
Yes, everybody understands the purpose and value of a home inspection, whether the house is $100K or $100M. that's not the point. You're here bitching and moaning about fixing light bulbs, when you could have just offered a lump sum, written into the contract, to satisfy all these rinky dink repair requests. The contract is just as valid as being responsible for all repairs yourself. Doesn't matter if the house is in Holmby Hills or Watts., a contract is a contract. This is where good realtors really stand out. They keep their clients out of situations like this.

Reactions: ChandlerPearce
Yes, everybody understands the purpose and value of a home inspection, whether the house is $100K or $100M. that's not the point. You're here bitching and moaning about fixing light bulbs, when you could have just offered a lump sum, written into the contract, to satisfy all these rinky dink repair requests. The contract is just as valid as being responsible for all repairs yourself. Doesn't matter if the house is in Holmby Hills or Watts., a contract is a contract. This is where good realtors really stand out. They keep their clients out of situations like this.
Lol. You can’t read. I assumed getting a light bulb would be a simple task. I committed to the buyer and had a moral obligation. I had no idea GE couldn’t include or ship a light bulb. The sitch has nothing to do with the buyer or their demands. I know reading isn’t your strong suit. I also know that living up to a moral obligation is a concept you wouldn’t be able to understand. But I am surprised at your tone for a subject that has nothing to do with you

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT