ADVERTISEMENT

Gas stations

Your route traveled explains it all. My apologies to your SitRep.
No need for apologies, I should have mentioned the route when I posted. Ultimately, you are correct: 3 gas stations on Rt 17 in Mt Pleasant are empty tonight. Now I’m a little concerned. 🤨

Closing pumps like so many dominoes here in NC. Have to believe it will soon follow in PA. One thing after another.
Never hit Destin Florida except .20 per gallon upcharge that gets everyone ready for the Memorial Day annual bump. Atlanta was hit hard with stations without gas this week.

Once the supply is replenished, I'm sure that the prices will drop

giphy1-2.gif

@PAgeologist

I'm hoping the videos with gas in plastic bags are an Allen Funt candid camera clip. I don't believe a even certified legitimate imbecile would would use plastic bags for gasoline.
We're talking about the same people who are concerned about the non-existent flammability of liquid gasoline but have no problem dousing a wood pile with gasoline and throwing a match on it. Those doggone trapped vapors! Wow.

How about this dude? He didn't get the memo about gas fumes either.

Last edited:
Heading home from FLA to NEPA on Tuesday
fLA seems to be okay but have to make it thru the Carolinas (Route 95) - any updates on those states amd areas

@PAgeologist

I'm hoping the videos with gas in plastic bags are an Allen Funt candid camera clip. I don't believe even certified legitimate imbecile would would use plastic bags for gasoline.
Have you taken an honest look at this world lately?

I'm reminded of a comedy clip from Joe Rogan where he talks about stupid people out breeding the smart ones.

Reactions: step.eng69
fLA seems to be okay but have to make it thru the Carolinas (Route 95) - any updates on those states amd areas
Bumping myself to see if anyone has updates for the Carolinas on Tuesday- Wednesday

and Virginia too

As of May 16 - Buncombe County (Ashevile) and all of Western NC we are still struggling. As soon as a station has gas they sell out. Now limiting purchases to $20-$25. Son lives in Eastern NC, says it’s the same deal there. It’s still bad.

Bumping myself to see if anyone has updates for the Carolinas on Tuesday- Wednesday

and Virginia too

Reactions: CentexLion
As of May 16 - Buncombe County (Ashevile) and all of Western NC we are still struggling. As soon as a station has gas they sell out. Now limiting purchases to $20-$25. Son lives in Eastern NC, says it’s the same deal there. It’s still bad.
Piedmont in a similar way still...

Reactions: PSUTENN1
Drove I-95 from Hilton Head Island, SC to Fredericksburg, VA on Saturday on our way home to State College and I would estimate that about 50 percent of the gas stations along I-95 did not have gasoline. And some locations only had regular. Saw a number of vehicles with filled plastic gas containers strapped on to roof racks and cargo carriers. Per the app GasBuddy, the Charlotte, NC seemed to have the highest percentage of stations with no gas, so we opted to drive I-95. Good news.....not as much traffic as usual on I-95.

I will e heading the other direction. Heading from upstate NY to Charleston SC for the PGA. We were going to leave today however we pushed it back till Wed drive instead to allow the gas to flow better. Any updates on the I 95 drive will help.

Reactions: colt21
I just drove from NEPA to Orlando on Saturday into Sunday morning. Drove 81 to 77 to 26 to 95. Had no problems getting gas in Roanoke and didn't need to stop in NC. Got gas next in Columbia SC, then again just outside Jacksonville, FL. Got gas a few other times but can't remember exactly where. But I do remember we didn't need to stop in NC. Never saw outages or lines when we stopped.

Do you guys use premium gasoline in your cars that don't need it? Or do half the people here drive Lambos?

Premium vs. Regular Gas Explained​

Is high octane worth the squeeze?​

Type:
Car Ownership
Published:
January 11, 2020
Most cars take regular. Others require premium. The difference between these two grades of gasoline isn’t completely obvious, which has led to some misguided spending at the pump. If you’re not sure what you should be filling up with, read on. Your wallet might thank you.

So, what's the difference between premium and regular gas?​

Regular gas is rated at 87 octane in most states, while premium gas is often rated higher at 91 or 93. Fuel with a higher octane rating can stand up to higher compression before it detonates. Essentially, the higher the octane rating, the lower the likelihood that detonation happens at the wrong time. On occasion, this occurrence will likely not harm your vehicle. However, if it happens frequently it may quicken the decline of your engine's performance.
Engines with high compression ratios or turbochargers often require high octane fuel found in premium gas for optimal performance and fuel efficiency. However, the majority of cars on the road today are optimized to run on regular gas.

If your car doesn’t require premium, fill up with regular.​

Why pay good money for something you don’t need? Premium gasoline costs about fifty cents more a gallon than regular and has no positive or negative effect on vehicles that can’t take advantage of it. In a consumer notice, the Federal Trade Commission, notes: “In most cases, using a higher-octane gasoline than your owner’s manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won’t make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner.”
The detergent additives in your gasoline are far more important than the octane level, as they help clean your engine and optimize performance. Each retailer offers a different blend of additives, used across all grades. For example, you can find Chevron’s Techron in both their regular and premium gas.
When it comes to additives, some hold themselves to a higher standard. BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, and Audi helped create the Top Tier Gasoline standard, which mandates a higher-percentage of detergent additive than EPA minimum requirements. They claim that lower concentrations of detergent additive can leave more deposits on engine components, including fuel injectors and intake valves. This, in turn, can lower engine performance and increase emissions.j

If your car requires premium, fill up with premium.​

Engines with a high compression ratio typically require higher octane fuel to achieve its intended level of performance, fuel efficiency and emissions. If your car requires premium gas, don’t skimp out. While you might save money on gas, your car will be less powerful and fuel-efficient. This can make a huge difference in vehicles with available turbocharged engines.

Reactions: Sproul and hlstone
Continuing our road trip, we left Charleston, SC Sunday and headed for Savannah with stops at Edvisto island and Hilton Head island. Mostly Rt 17 with a bunch of back roads. No problem with gas so far. Start back north this Thursday.

Reactions: step.eng69
I will e heading the other direction. Heading from upstate NY to Charleston SC for the PGA. We were going to leave today however we pushed it back till Wed drive instead to allow the gas to flow better. Any updates on the I 95 drive will help.
I know this is mote south but I got gas in North Jacksonville no problem

now sitting at mile marker 98 in SC amd for gas but pump was “regular only”

next stop NC

I know this is mote south but I got gas in North Jacksonville no problem

now sitting at mile marker 98 in SC amd for gas but pump was “regular only”

next stop NC
Another update

stopped at Loves in SC right before NC border to top off cause heard NC was last with gas ⛽️

stopped at a Loves - it was a small one so I did have to wait for one car to get done

now at Rocky Mount MC for the night and stopped at a Speedway which was all out !

I asked at the desk and they said there is some around - it’s hit and miss Though

Another update

stopped at Loves in SC right before NC border to top off cause heard NC was last with gas ⛽️

stopped at a Loves - it was a small one so I did have to wait for one car to get done

now at Rocky Mount MC for the night and stopped at a Speedway which was all out !

I asked at the desk and they said there is some around - it’s hit and miss Though
Although Speedway was out 2 Sheetz within two miles each way had gas ⛽️

Heading down to North Carolina on Thursday, what is latest. Were they able to supply up late last week and over weekend such that most locations have gas now?

“ The incident also shows how antivirus companies eager to make a name for themselves sometimes violate one of the cardinal rules of the cat-and-mouse game of cyberwarfare: Don’t let your opponents know what you’ve figured out. During World War II, when the British secret service learned from decrypted communications that the Gestapo was planning to abduct and murder a valuable double agent, Johnny Jebsen, his handler wasn’t allowed to warn him for fear of cluing in the enemy that its cipher had been cracked. Today, ransomware hunters like Wosar and Gillespie try to prolong the attackers’ ignorance, even at the cost of contacting fewer victims. Sooner or later, as payments drop off, the cybercriminals realize that something has gone wrong.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT