ADVERTISEMENT

Garrett Hoffman wins wrestle off for Bucknell heavyweight position.

creamery freak

Jul 26, 2014
I read this in Friday's Williamsport Sun Gazette that Montoursville's Garrett Hoffman had won the Bucknell team elimination for heavyweight. I'm pretty sure he was their 197 lbr last season. It makes me wonder if Gavin will be able to hold the weight to stay at 197 for OSU. I was thinking that Garrett wrestled a lighter weight than Gavin when they were together at Montoursville. Best of luck to Garrett at his new weight and hopefully we will get to see him against Nick N on Nov 12th.

Reactions: therod
I read this in Friday's Williamsport Sun Gazette that Montoursville's Garrett Hoffman had won the Bucknell team elimination for heavyweight. I'm pretty sure he was their 197 lbr last season. It makes me wonder if Gavin will be able to hold the weight to stay at 197 for OSU. I was thinking that Garrett wrestled a lighter weight than Gavin when they were together at Montoursville. Best of luck to Garrett at his new weight and hopefully we will get to see him against Nick N on Nov 12th.
Garrett wrestled 184 last year. Tom Sleigh wrestled 197.

This is pretty clearly a move to maximize their talent this year. They have to start a true FR at either 184 (Drew Phipps) or HWT (Eric Chakonis). Phipps is probably more college ready, and HWT is harder for true freshmen to break into.

As far as Gavin's weight goes ... he we go again. He went 195 so Garrett could stay 182 for his SR year. Once you win states at 195, why drop? He just wrestled 187 for worlds. The plan is pretty clearly for him to shirt, then replace Martin at 184 for 1 year, then go 197 when Moore gradutes.

Reactions: creamery freak
Garrett wrestled 184 last year. Tom Sleigh wrestled 197.

This is pretty clearly a move to maximize their talent this year. They have to start a true FR at either 184 (Drew Phipps) or HWT (Eric Chakonis). Phipps is probably more college ready, and HWT is harder for true freshmen to break into.

As far as Gavin's weight goes ... he we go again. He went 195 so Garrett could stay 182 for his SR year. Once you win states at 195, why drop? He just wrestled 187 for worlds. The plan is pretty clearly for him to shirt, then replace Martin at 184 for 1 year, then go 197 when Moore gradutes.
Thanks for the info El-Jefe, that does makes a lot of sense for the move to heavy.

Heard Garrett Hoffman is pursuing a double major therefore Bucknell will let him redshirt this year. Went heavyweight to give Chakonis a match for the wrestle-offs. Second hand info so I’m not sure on the particulars but do know it is rare for anyone to redshirt at Bucknell which makes recruiting tough in addition to not many scholarships.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT