ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD: Penn State defeats Illinois, 30-13

But on this board, even when we win, we lose.
No, we won and that's a good thing. I'm not too concerned about the dropped passes because I think that will be corrected. I think they can correct the 70 yards of penalties too. My concern is that our OL hasn't been living up to the pre season hype so far this year.

I haven't read the whole thread but was anyone else bothered by the damn siren that kept being played before our plays? It shouldn't be legal
All those gimmicks, like the Vikings and their stupid horn, the Pats and their stupid fog horn or ship horn or whatever college stupid thing is done on 3rd down, are stupid.

Reactions: 81b&w
All fan bases are the same. They all have cheerleaders that pretend everything is always great and they have those thar are never happy. Today, we won as expected but there's concerns going forward. Being unable to admit that doesn't make you a better fan
I think it's important we keep perspective that as fans, this is entertainment for us. The outcome of the games doesn't actually impact our daily lives. Getting overly stressed or negative about it takes away from simply enjoying the excitement and community around Penn State football.

I prefer to keep positive vibes. The coaches and players are the ones making the big decisions and getting paid - as fans, our role is support. While there are always areas for improvement, at the end of the day I'm here for the love of the game and positive energy, not to needlessly worry about things I can't control.

No, we won and that's a good thing. I'm not too concerned about the dropped passes because I think that will be corrected. I think they can correct the 70 yards of penalties too. My concern is that our OL hasn't been living up to the pre season hype so far this year.
The dropped passes and penalties affected the running game as well. They stacked the box and dared us to pass…and we didn’t do it very effectively. If we pass more effectively next game, the opponent won’t be able to do that and that will losses up the run game. So if we fix the dropped passes, the penalties, and Drew gets back his accuracy, I think our Line will look better.

Reactions: GSPMax
We can discuss it and I enjoy discussing it, but in the end, you never know what you’re going to get from week to week because it is college football. I just don’t like the “we’re terrible” or “we’re not a top 10 team” posts after a bad quarter or two. Obviously nobody is a top 10 team if every top 10 team has to blow every opponent out in every quarter.
Yeah, on that we agree. I’m talking about general gestalt post game evaluation, not the “heat of the moment” in game posts.

If people want to post ‘we’re not playing well’ in game that’s fine but you really have to wait until the game is over to evaluate the team that week.

A fanboy is someone that enjoys beating bad teams pretending it's meaningful which is you kiddo
If watching my favorite team win a game and enjoy it....makes me a fanboy, I'm cool with that. If you spend your time looking for things to bitch and moan about, you need therapy. I think there are support groups you might consider. " I spend my free time being unhappy about PSU football." 😪

Reactions: joeaubie21
My entire life so almost 50 years. Unlike you I'm not brainwashed to lower expectations

This makes sense. I went to my first game 60 years ago.

I have never lowered my expectations. I expect to win every game. I have seen us lose games we should not have and win games we probably should not have. I have given up on them in a couple of games that we ended up winning. There are several aspects of the game, offense, defense, special teams and there is a mental part of the game. Sometimes the offense wins the game, sometimes the defense, sometimes special teams, sometimes the mental aspect influences those parts of the game. I think when PSU beat Miami for the NC, Miami was not prepared mentally and did not expect the PSU defense could beat them . Well they did. Defense still wins games when the other parts of the game don't fall into place. Today the defense showed up and allowed the offense to have an average game.

Reactions: psu00
I think it's important we keep perspective that as fans, this is entertainment for us. The outcome of the games doesn't actually impact our daily lives. Getting overly stressed or negative about it takes away from simply enjoying the excitement and community around Penn State football.

I prefer to keep positive vibes. The coaches and players are the ones making the big decisions and getting paid - as fans, our role is support. While there are always areas for improvement, at the end of the day I'm here for the love of the game and positive energy, not to needlessly worry about things I can't control.
That's great for you. I dont find that to be entertaining. I'm looking to see constant improvement and building to be a contender. The issue isn't people take different approaches but the idea that those who actually criticize the team aren't real fans. Beating a bad Illini team is what I expected. Now I see issues that they have a few weeks to resolve. But beating Illini by 17 is meh...its just what as should do.

If watching my favorite team win a game and enjoy it....makes me a fanboy, I'm cool with that. If you spend your time looking for things to bitch and moan about, you need therapy. I think there are support groups you might consider. " I spend my free time being unhappy about PSU football." 😪
Who's looking? There's obvious issues that we all hope thet improve. Who's unhappy? I'm very happy with where we are and hope we continue to improve. I hope you don't take the same approach to life or you aren't very successful. Successful people always look for ways to improve things not celebrate what they've already done.

When you think every team in a P5 conference is good....when you think coaches are beyond criticism...when you only see the positives...yes you're going to think you see a lot of stupidity when the truth is your bias prevents you from seeing reality.

Almost all of the criticism in this thread today was valid.
Well surely you will be criticizing Alabama and also Georgia, right? Oh yeah, and OSU, as well, after the 2 clunkers they have had?

Reactions: joeaubie21
This makes sense. I went to my first game 60 years ago.

I have never lowered my expectations. I expect to win every game. I have seen us lose games we should not have and win games we probably should not have. I have given up on them in a couple of games that we ended up winning. There are several aspects of the game, offense, defense, special teams and there is a mental part of the game. Sometimes the offense wins the game, sometimes the defense, sometimes special teams, sometimes the mental aspect influences those parts of the game. I think when PSU beat Miami for the NC, Miami was not prepared mentally and did not expect the PSU defense could beat them . Well they did. Defense still wins games when the other parts of the game don't fall into place. Today the defense showed up and allowed the offense to have an average game.
And that offense needs to improve, right?

Well surely you will be criticizing Alabama and also Georgia, right? Oh yeah, and OSU, as well, after the 2 clunkers they have had?
Alabama is trash right now
Georgia gets the benefit of the doubt after back to back titles
And yes I've been critical of Ohio State...see my response to Dylan earlier

You wouldn't have to play then. Why do players play games at Northwestern...Vanderbilt,...Rutgers....no one tells them they have title aspirations.
Self improvement and to earn their free education.
This is also why the playoff needs to greatly expand so players aren't playing meaningless games all season.

Bama is trash? I always thought you were a fool...
They're playing horrible football two weeks in row. Saban had said way worse about them. They need to figure out their offense in a hurry. Pretending all.is fine at Bama is delusional. Its not and Saban has his hands full. Throw on their game right now. Watch him

Who's looking? There's obvious issues that we all hope thet improve. Who's unhappy? I'm very happy with where we are and hope we continue to improve. I hope you don't take the same approach to life or you aren't very successful. Successful people always look for ways to improve things not celebrate what they've already done.
Are you including yourself with successful people...LOL

I don't think we have seen the 2023 Penn State offense yet.
If the defense wins every game this year, I will be happy.
We have seen it and it need to improve. We even went into the bag of tricks with Potts throwing the ball.
An elite defense still needs help from their offense.

They're playing horrible football two weeks in row. Saban had said way worse about them. They need to figure out their offense in a hurry. Pretending all.is fine at Bama is delusional. Its not and Saban has his hands full. Throw on their game right now. Watch him
I missed the press conference where Saban called his team worse than trash.

Watching the Bama game now and they are playing poorly. There is a real question mark at the QB spot and their offense is sputtering. Currently tied 3-3 at half with USF.

Granted, it’s just 1 half, but Penn State today could play with and beat the Alabama team today (so far). College football is so unpredictable and so much depends on focus and emotion which can alter drastically week to week with college kids.

Last edited:
Georgia is losing to S. Carolina and Bama is losing to S. Florida….I guess neither are playoff teams.

I saw a program wherein it was claimed that Saban does not have his usual team leaders. The claim was that the players in Saban's program tended to do the "hard coaching." Perhaps the transfer portal has made it harder to retain players who are willing to stay with a program over several years, develop the relationships, and become what amounts to player-coaches.

To my eye football at all levels has become less disciplined. While there is perhaps more energy and more emotion, there is in my view less maturity. The game seems to be less cerebral. It's been said that offensive line is one of the most difficult of positions to master. One can be strong and athletic but still whiff, blow the snap count, grab your man, etc. As the play unfolds the OL have to adapt in a split second to what your opponent is doing, and do it collectively.

You can come up with a game plan that doesn't exploit your opponent's weaknesses too, so playing hard doesn't necessarily cut it. The coaches have to adapt. In some ways it is a chess match. The smarter guy has the advantage.

The addition of Drew Allar, in my opinion, is a huge benefit in countering the downside that I see in how many play the game today. His demeanor is always steady. Never so high as to lose focus. Never too low as to be unable to execute. He could be really good for this team if he hung around a few years. He didn't play his best game today, but he didn't have much help either.

Allar had an off day. Receivers had some drops, which likely added to Allars bad day. Penalties. OL with some struggles. Middle of D seems MIA too much. Mediocre run game.

Despite all that, PSU won by 23. This is the type of game that past teams would squeak out a win or even lose. So at least that is a big improvement over past years.

Allar had an off day. Receivers had some drops, which likely added to Allars bad day. Penalties. OL with some struggles. Middle of D seems MIA too much. Mediocre run game.

Despite all that, PSU won by 23. This is the type of game that past teams would squeak out a win or even lose. So at least that is a big improvement over past years.

Played a C game overall and still was up 23 when the 2nd string was put in with 10 to go.

Won by 17 but, yes, like last year we're winning games comfortably that used to be losses or too close.

That's great for you. I dont find that to be entertaining. I'm looking to see constant improvement and building to be a contender. The issue isn't people take different approaches but the idea that those who actually criticize the team aren't real fans. Beating a bad Illini team is what I expected. Now I see issues that they have a few weeks to resolve. But beating Illini by 17 is meh...its just what as should do.
I appreciate your perspective. We all want the team to improve and contend for championships - that's the goal for any true Penn State fan.

Healthy critique and debate is part of being engaged and passionate about the program. At the same time, there are different approaches to fandom.

My stance is simply that negativity for its own sake or attacking other fans isn't productive. There are certainly areas for improvement, and I'm hopeful the coaches can make progress resolving issues in the coming weeks.

It can be very entertaining to see the back and forth in the forum though. Lol

A wake up call against a team Kansas dominated isn't good. Most here have talked positives and negatives...not only the negative but no one can watch this game and fwel.good about our offense moving the ball against Michigan or Ohio State. Need to improve greatly before we play them. Thankfully the D should keep is in most games. Criticism of the offense today isn't nitpicky. It's warranted.
We have three more games and four more weeks to get ready. The Defense is starting to gel, not panic time yet.

The only thing that really irritated me was the two unsportsmanlike penalties. The offense struggled, but Illinois had 8 in the box all game. Allar seemed confused, but that could end up being a good learning experience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT