ADVERTISEMENT

Game 3: Pitt, Beaver Stadium, Noon, ABC

Again, this needs to be posted after every bad Pitt play.

iu

KCmaHs.gif

Last edited:
cpc247

Really interested to see us vs PSU. I think the defense is a wash in this game. It will be a QB battle of who is not going to lose the game. Special teams need to be special for Pitt. Some one posted Pitt has less talent but I don't know how much I see that. I think PSU has an advantage on the offensive line, but i'm not sure about anywhere else. PSU has dominated a few bad teams. Let's see how it goes when they play a tougher opponent in PITT. If Pitt can keep getting pressure and connect on some long balls I will be optimist for a Pitt win.

cpc247

Really interested to see us vs PSU. I think the defense is a wash in this game. It will be a QB battle of who is not going to lose the game. Special teams need to be special for Pitt. Some one posted Pitt has less talent but I don't know how much I see that. I think PSU has an advantage on the offensive line, but i'm not sure about anywhere else. PSU has dominated a few bad teams. Let's see how it goes when they play a tougher opponent in PITT. If Pitt can keep getting pressure and connect on some long balls I will be optimist for a Pitt win.

Laughter is good medicine!

:)

Next week at this time the Pitt fanbase will be happy this series is over. They wanted this series when they thought they’d win all 4 because of sanctions, now they realize they’d never win another as currently constructed.

This is a mismatch. Pitt’s oline will be overwhelmed. Pickett will be a deer in headlights. Franklin will run this score up. I can’t wait

Kenny Eight-Yards is going to spend a good part of Saturday on his a$$ courtesy of his friends in the blue shirts.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Frankly, a first half scare against Buffalo and a performance that reminded the entire team -- particularly the defense -- that they're mortal and can't just show up and breeze through an opponent might be the worst thing that Pitt could have hoped for.

That kind of situation has a way of focusing a team for the following game. And it's always better to learn those lessons in victory than in defeat.

I have a feeling that this team is going to come out of the gates well prepared and ready to tear apart that Pitt offensive line from the opening whistle.

Penn State -17.5 against Pitt.

A little higher than I was expecting.

Anyone remember what the spread was last year?

Penn State -17.5 against Pitt.

A little higher than I was expecting.

Anyone remember what the spread was last year?

As expected, Pitt will be the underdogs in their game this week against top ten Penn State. That’s not a surprise, even though the Panthers have the game at home. As of now, the Nittany Lions are favored from anywhere between 8 1⁄2 to 9 1⁄2 points in most places.

DC_Area_Panther

Sagarin's computer would have it 16 points and rates us only 8 points stronger than Buffalo--so 17.5 is no surprise. Guessing we likely lose something like 38-16.

I expect I will save myself the anguish and not watch the game live. Should we unexpectedly win or make it really competitive I can watch the replay later.

tenor.gif

Pitt should have made an effort to join the Big Ten - it would have been a step forward for them athletically and academically. And, then all the jabronies on both sides would be able to get their season ending PSU-Pitt game they so desperately crave.

A requiem for the Pitt-Penn State game

With the Penn State game approaching on Sept. 14 at Beaver Stadium, it brings to an end — for now — the on-and-off historic rivalry between the Pitt Panthers and the Penn State Nittany Lions.

The 2019 meeting will mark the 100th all-time between the Panthers and Nittany Lions as well as the final regularly scheduled Pitt-Penn State football game for the foreseeable future. Penn State athletic director Sandy Barbour said last May the rivalry would most likely be shelved until “some point after 2030.”

This also ties into Penn State having an already tough schedule in the future with in-conference teams like Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State as well as non-conference opponents like Auburn, Virginia Tech and West Virginia. Playing Pitt while also playing these teams doesn’t make much sense when it’s evident that having a better overall record is more important than strength of schedule.

But don’t give the Nittany Lions too much credit, as their smugness and arrogance toward Pitt has been around for decades. Penn State head coach James Franklin, after the 2017 win, said that Pitt viewed its win against them as “their super bowl,” while beating Pitt to them was “like beating Akron.”

This attitude toward Pitt is a sad and ignorant one for those who support Penn State to have. For a rivalry that has so much potential to be great due to proximity and quality of both programs, seeing that Penn State could care less about the rivalry is tough for a Pitt fan to take.

They think this rivalry would be great due to proximity and “the quality of both programs”? What do they put in the water in Pittsburgh? Pitt football hasn’t had quality since 1981.

Talk about delusion and arrogance. The Pitt writer says playing Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio State, Auburn is tough for PSU but adding Pitt to that ‘doesn’t make sense because a better record is what matters’. Like Pitt is the heavyweight in that group that would add a loss rather than OSU, Michigan etc.

Last edited:
Pitt should have made an effort to join the Big Ten - it would have been a step forward for them athletically and academically. And, then all the jabronies on both sides would be able to get their season ending PSU-Pitt game they so desperately crave.
Is the Big Ten really better than the ACC academically?

Only one problem, the B1G wasn’t interested in inviting them.

Why would the Big Ten invite pitt? They have nothing to add. They would just suck money from the big boy teams. It was a mistake for the Big Ten to add Rutgers. Adding pitt would be an even bigger mistake.

Reactions: m48tank and Ski
Latest Pitt-Penn State installment has the Panthers facing an uphill battle
By CardiacHill@AnsonWhaley Sep 9, 2019, 9:00am
usa_today_10294029.0.jpg

The game is, of course, the latest installment in the long rivalry that has been interrupted, started again, and soon to be discontinued yet again. And unlike the last time the series ended, Pitt will face a much stiffer challenge in trying to win the final game.

The Panthers enter the game as a heavy underdog with Penn State favored by 17 points as of Sunday night. And if we’re being fair here, even that number may be a tad light based on past history and, more importantly, on what the teams have looked like through two games. There is surely a chance the Panthers keep it closer (I’ll get to that in a bit) — but also a chance it spirals out of control, as it did last season.

This season, the Panthers have had trouble scoring points. Things are still early, of course, but the Panthers have managed only 34 total points with a loss to Virginia and a win against Ohio to show for it. The unit certainly looked better this weekend but doing that against a MAC team is not the same as doing it against a Top 25 program on the road.

Offensively, Penn State looks to have another strong quarterback in sophomore Sean Clifford. Clifford has been nearly flawless to date, throwing for six touchdowns to no interceptions, averaging about 280 passing yards per game. At receiver, the Nittany Lions have familiar threat, KJ Hamler. However, Clifford has several other weapons at his disposal, including tight end Pat Freiermuth, who actually leads the team in receptions (nine). Each of those players, including receiver Jahan Dotson, have all caught two touchdown passes each.

Reactions: m48tank and TheGLOV
Does anyone know who "Jerry" is that he is referencing in this video? Go to the 7:45 mark where he is talking about creating a rivalry and a trophy with a picture of Jerry on the trophy.

EDIT:Here's the video starting at 745

Go to 6:50. He's talking to a reporter he called Jerry. I assume that's who he was referring to.

Reactions: Agoodnap
Next week at this time the Pitt fanbase will be happy this series is over. They wanted this series when they thought they’d win all 4 because of sanctions, now they realize they’d never win another as currently constructed.

This is a mismatch. Pitt’s oline will be overwhelmed. Pickett will be a deer in headlights. Franklin will run this score up. I can’t wait
we just beat you recently...bonehead...last four games are 2-2....

Not making players available is a bad move IMHO. It sends a message that they have to be uptight during the week. Let them talk and enjoy the week leading up to the game. It's great how we've gotten inside the head of Dooz.

Yeah it’s strange he’s doing that again after how poorly his team played last year using that same tactic.

we just beat you recently...bonehead...last four games are 2-2....

In the last 10 quarters of football between these two teams, Penn State has outscored Pitt 116-34. Pitt’s victory in 2000 was over a 4-7 penn state team. These Programs are going in opposite directions. Enjoy your 4 win season

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT