ADVERTISEMENT

Game 3: Kent State, Beaver Stadium, Noon (FS1)

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
https://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-football/article218123370.html

Kent State Press Conference

What have you seen from Penn State freshman linebacker Micah Parsons, and what were your impressions of him?

Sean Lewis: Yeah, I would say he was the No. 1 recruit in the country last year, if I’m not mistaken, and he’s a phenomenal player — like a lot of the young men that are on the squad that Coach Franklin has assembled. I mean, he’s got a galaxy over there with the number of stars he’s been able to accumulate in recruiting. And they’re long, they’re athletic, they’re nasty, they hunt the ball, they’re opportunistic, and they play the game the right way — which is a credit to Coach Franklin and his staff.

0908_PSUPitt6

What Penn State players stick out to you, that you know you’ll have to be aware of where they are on the field at all times?

SL: The game starts up front, in particular with their D-line. They’re a long, athletic group. No. 30 Kevin Givens, inside, is a twitchy young man who shows explosiveness. They do a really good job moving him; he’s a dynamic 3-technique that really gives you some fits from the inside-out. The linebacker level, Micah Parsons was just asked about. He’s flashed early on there. Cam Brown, No. 6, their outside linebacker, is a long, athletic kid that covers a ton of ground. He’s shown some ability now where he’s able to flip his hips, wheel around and two-stride every five — which he can just chew up grass. He’s a dynamic athlete.

And then their corner, Tariq Castro-Fields, has tremendous ball skills and does a great job in the pass game. And the opposite corner, No. 21 (Amani Oruwariye), I’m not going to try to pronounce his name because I don’t want to discredit him or his family by mispronouncing that. But he does a fabulous job. He had a pick in the Pitt game where he was literally looking out of his ear hole and still able to track the ball and make a play. So, defensively, they’ve got a bunch of dudes.

Reactions: Zenophile
Reminds me of the b1g championship game broadcast. Joel Klatt referred to our wide receivers as dudes, to which Gus Johnson said in a deep, assertive voice, "Dudes!" That was a fun broadcast.

Coach would love to sell the stadium out. It would send a message to the nation that it doesn't matter who Penn State is playing, the game will be a sellout. Everyone coming this weekend needs to recruit 1 person to come along and they will figure out how to fit 210,000 people in the stadium

Looking now like it won’t be as rainy as originally expected.
KSU has some good players. Hopefully, the squad learned after App State that they will likely come in here for their Super Bowl.

Looking now like it won’t be as rainy as originally expected.
KSU has some good players. Hopefully, the squad learned after App State that they will likely come in here for their Super Bowl.

We’re screwed. :(

Be crisp, improve, stay healthy, get others valuable reps, stay healthy, stay healthy. Short week for Illini and then OSU. Stay healthy.

Reactions: BBrown
Be crisp, improve, stay healthy, get others valuable reps, stay healthy, stay healthy. Short week for Illini and then OSU. Stay healthy.

Soo wait.. dont you think it would be important that they stay healthy as well?? :rolleyes:

Klatt is a pretty consistent low key hater. Had Michigan ahead of PSU last night on BTN on his power rankings.

Yeah it's strange. I think he's quite good as an announcer and was strong during the Big Ten title game two years ago but he's been subtle and very passive aggressive against PSU since then. Even last year as we were rolling. ESPN was all in on PSU and Barkley last year and hype was non stop, FOX was the opposite, I noticed it often during that two-three week stretch. The FOX game leadup, studio show, game last year with OSU was pathetic.

Yeah it's strange. I think he's quite good as an announcer and was strong during the Big Ten title game two years ago but he's been subtle and very passive aggressive against PSU since then. Even last year as we were rolling. ESPN was all in on PSU and Barkley last year and hype was non stop, FOX was the opposite, I noticed it often during that two-three week stretch. The FOX game leadup, studio show, game last year with OSU was pathetic.

Michigan looked terrible against Notre Dame, who then managed to squeak by Ball State by 8 with Wimbush throwing for 3 picks and no touchdowns. So, yeah, that's a great quality loss for Michigan.

Reactions: Grass
Who was the poster here who argued Miles Sanders wasn’t any good over and over this offseason?

I've been impressed with his toughness and his vision so far. His public comments have also shown he's a good teammate and a hard worker.

The whole team needs to be really tough, physically and psychologically, to deal with what the B1G schedule throws at them this year.

Saturday was a very good step in that respect, as they pounded Pitt into submission in a rainstorm in a road game.

Last edited:
Michigan looked terrible against Notre Dame, who then managed to squeak by Ball State by 8 with Wimbush throwing for 3 picks and no touchdowns. So, yeah, that's a great quality loss for Michigan.

We dodged a bullet with wimbush.

OT RASHEED WALKER
8658736.JPG

Once again, true freshman offensive tackle Rasheed Walker (53) saw reps with the second-team offensive line. That gives you an idea of how highly the coaching staff regards him.

I called him out on Twitter for saying that O$U has been more impressive than Georgia so far this season. I reminded him that Georgia just beat a top 25 team on the road by 24 points and that O$U beat an Oregon State team that was 1-11 last year. No comment needed on beating Rutgers.

I called him out on Twitter for saying that O$U has been more impressive than Georgia so far this season. I reminded him that Georgia just beat a top 25 team on the road by 24 points and that O$U beat an Oregon State team that was 1-11 last year. No comment needed on beating Rutgers.

Predictably, Ohio State fans love Klatt.

Joel Klatt was on BTN Wed. and gave his top 5 teams. His reasons were well thought out and made sense. He had Clemson - MarneBuck [23:59:19 09/12/18] (22)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT