ADVERTISEMENT

Further point about the "Penn State game-day traditions" thread below.

demlion

Feb 4, 2004
When I was a student for 76-80, we always sang "We don't know the GD words," because (at least in my own case) I didn't know the GD words. Nor did I care to learn them. Mostly that grew out of my generalized disdain for the People In Charge, and that disdain was not limited to those in charge at PSU.

Over the following years, I used to ask the Alumni Association beggars who called me for funds whether John Oswald was still being chauffeured around town in a Lincoln Town Car, and ask them why they thought an outfit that spent money so wildly should get some of mine that I worked for so hard.

Over time I grew out of that callow view and began to respect the traditions a little more--donating some $$, singing the actual words to the Alma Mater, and the like.

Then In November 2011, I found I had been right all along--the People in Charge were a$$holes, they were worthy of only contempt and they would not be getting anymore of my money. And they haven't. And they won't. And I paid for this ticket and I will sing whatever words I think are appropriate, including "we don't know the GD words."

Somebody thinks that is inappropriate? That's ok. I am not asking them to sing along with me.

When I was a student for 76-80, we always sang "We don't know the GD words," because (at least in my own case) I didn't know the GD words. Nor did I care to learn them. Mostly that grew out of my generalized disdain for the People In Charge, and that disdain was not limited to those in charge at PSU.

Over the following years, I used to ask the Alumni Association beggars who called me for funds whether John Oswald was still being chauffeured around town in a Lincoln Town Car, and ask them why they thought an outfit that spent money so wildly should get some of mine that I worked for so hard.

Over time I grew out of that callow view and began to respect the traditions a little more--donating some $$, singing the actual words to the Alma Mater, and the like.

Then In November 2011, I found I had been right all along--the People in Charge were a$$holes, they were worthy of only contempt and they would not be getting anymore of my money. And they haven't. And they won't. And I paid for this ticket and I will sing whatever words I think are appropriate, including "we don't know the GD words."

Somebody thinks that is inappropriate? That's ok. I am not asking them to sing along with me.
"To thine own self be true." Were you and MMII doing beer bongs outside of the stadium?:D

Reactions: demlion

I am standing right next to you Dem. I haven't given since Nov 2011. I always send back the request for money and say that I won't be donating money again until every member who was on the Board during Nov 2011, is gone. They don't seem to care what I think....why should I care what they think? I sing the GD words to carry on a tradition. Not to be spiteful. Not because I don't know the words. Those that think it's childish....lighten up Francis.

I am standing right next to you Dem. I haven't given since Nov 2011. I always send back the request for money and say that I won't be donating money again until every member who was on the Board during Nov 2011, is gone. They don't seem to care what I think....why should I care what they think? I sing the GD words to carry on a tradition. Not to be spiteful. Not because I don't know the words. Those that think it's childish....lighten up Francis.

Excellent point. TRADITION: "the transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation, or the fact of being passed on in this way."

So, there are officially sanctioned traditions, like the official words to that song, and there are the things you have always done, like "we don't know the GD words." I wouldn't send our BoT or President for cheeseburgers. Cold day in hell when they will tell me what to think or sing or say or how to spend my money.

Reactions: Zenophile

I was there a little before you. Now that I look back on those years, I feel as though I cheated myself by truly not knowing those words and not really caring if I didn't know them. I see the students now fully engaged and not only singing them but understanding them as well. It took a while, but as I look back, the words are more meaningful now than ever before.

Reactions: BlueBand
Caption this photo:

12042674_10206403178510157_1956568970339500817_n.jpg

Last edited:
demlion and I Genesee-ing eye-to-eye...

12042674_10206403178510157_1956568970339500817_n.jpg

Moments later is when the young SDSU woman showed up with her BF. You are a good man, MMII. Next time I am in a group of people and they are talking (as usual) about what an A$$ you are, instead of joining in with a chorus of "that's right, that's right," I am just going to remain silent.:)

And I paid for this ticket and I will sing whatever words I think are appropriate, including "we don't know the GD words."

I understand not giving money, but what are your proving, and to whom, by singing "we don't know the goddamn words". No administrators that you're angry at are sitting next to you.

That song was written and published in 1901, long before anyone working at the school was even conceived. If anything, it's a slap in the face to Fred Lewis Pattee.

Reactions: slwlion
I understand not giving money, but what are your proving, and to whom, by singing "we don't know the goddamn words". No administrators that you're angry at are sitting next to you.

That song was written and published in 1901, long before anyone working at the school was even conceived. If anything, it's a slap in the face to Fred Lewis Pattee.
By the same token, it's no longer a slap in the face to Fred himself. RIP.

Kid, we wouldn't expect you to be able to understand. Honestly.

Excellent point. TRADITION: "the transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation, or the fact of being passed on in this way."

I learned the GD version of that hokey song from my Uncle Gabe '56. My cousins and brothers sang it that way before me and so I did too and passed it down the line. The students sang loud enough, 76-79, they had to go to commercial on the radio broadcasts. BTW, I remember singing before the game.

That's the Tradition I know!

Also seems like it is a slap in the face to everyone at PSU, then and now, who is so rigid and self-important that expressing mild, humor-fueled contempt for the words to a 114 year old song raises their BP. My apologies if you are one of them.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles

Also at a time when the university administration maybe gave a shiat about the students/alums/etc.....just sayin'.

^^^^. Please stop by my tailgate... (So I can slap you in the forehead! ) ^^^^

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Also seems like it is a slap in the face to everyone at PSU, then and now, who is so rigid and self-important that expressing mild, humor-fueled contempt for the words to a 114 year old song raises their BP. My apologies if you are one of them.

I'm rigid and self-important because I disagree with your expression of the Alma Mater?

demlion - not sure if you saw Sunday's CDT but I did see the ol' Hands Up was cruising around from tailgate-to-tailgate on Saturday... Wasn't very far from where we were standing.... Can you imagine the hyjinx had he been unfortunate enough to bumble into our tailgate?!?!?

Reactions: demlion
I'd love an explanation. Not trying to be abrasive, I'd just like to know the logic behind it.
I will take that as a serious question. Back in those ancient Ivy covered days we had to wait in (an actual, physical) line to get our classes, sometimes for HOURS. A great deal about being a PSU student in those days was waiting around for someone to give you permission to do something or go somewhere or take some class. I personally felt like a cog in some sort of Higher Ed machine which was designed to "mold" me into some sort of employable widget who could leave and go on his way to waiting 35 years for a gold watch, a pension, and a nursing home slot. I sometimes hated myself for being there and hated the people who ran things for how I felt. Is that their fault? Certainly not entirely, but I did not have any personal songs I could mock, so I mocked theirs in the way my forefathers had done.

We had a saying about the RA when we lived in the dorms: "He knows you did it, you know you did it, he can't prove it, so you deny it." The guys I shared dorm floors with routinely rang up some of the highest damage bills on campus. Just lucky, I guess.:)

You're right about that, no doubt, but I don't believe the Alma Mater is a song of praise to the administration.

What is it to then? Penn State without an administration/faculty is just a place you and your friends make memories. Memories like singing the wrong words to the alma mater at football games. Honestly, I love Penn State, but not because of anything anyone who worked there had to do with it. The words are sentimental and overly nostalgic (and a bit hokey) from a time when folks wrote things like that. I graduated in '97 and felt I couldn't relate to the words then. The spirit and intent is fine, but it's not literal for me.

Reactions: Zenophile
demlion - not sure if you saw Sunday's CDT but I did see the ol' Hands Up was cruising around from tailgate-to-tailgate on Saturday... Wasn't very far from where we were standing.... Can you imagine the hyjinx had he been unfortunate enough to bumble into our tailgate?!?!?
Oh, sweet Jesus, what a time that could have been!

Reactions: massimoManca II
Hey, I'm not an alum and I don't know the words to the PSU Alma Mater (at least not all of them), so the notion of you singing "We don't know the GD words" in no way gets me riled up. But I think you are on shaky ground using your justifiable contempt for the BoT weasels as the basis for expressing contempt (even humorous contempt) for the PSU Alma Mater. Those seem like two distinct things..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT