ADVERTISEMENT

FSU permitted to leave ACC

I’m shocked the ACC decided to settle rather than fight it. Where there any recent rulings that had them fearful the court would actually invalidate the GOR? It’s a big change in position by the ACC.

Now the question that Clemson and Miami are watching is how much is the negotiated FSU buyout?

Wow, I am shocked. I thought they were stuck in that agreement. I wonder what is the weak link in the GOR. After FSU, only Clemson and to a much lesser extent UNC, Duek, and Miami generated solid tv ratings (the #1 criteria in conference realignment) last season. I think we should take all 5 into the B1G.

It appears that way. If they’re going to lower the threshold to leave there will be other teams that follow. It all depends on who gets an SEC or Big Ten offer.

It looks like the ACC is resigned to FSU and Clemson, leaving with possibly UNC and Miami as well?

Can they remain a P5 conference with-

NC St
Syracuse
Pitt
Boston College
Georgia Tech
Virginia
Virginia Tech.
Louisville
Duke
Wake Forest
Don’t forget they have Stanford and Cal now.

Do we even know if this is really true? I don’t see it anywhere on espn. They have an article there that says the ACC is still fighting it and wants the lawsuit in Florida postponed until the one in North Carolina plays out first.

True. How could I forget those Atlantic coast schools in Palo Alto and Berkeley? ;)

That would still be a weak a$$ P5 football conference. Even the PAC 12 had USC, Oregon, and Washington where at least 1-2 of them would be good on any given year. That ‘new’ ACC would have nothing.

Just FSU leaving doesn’t spell the end of the ACC. Look at what’s left of the Big 12 and PAC 12. I’ll go out on a limb and say the ACC could lose a couple more and still be better than both.

Do we even know if this is really true? I don’t see it anywhere on espn. They have an article there that says the ACC is still fighting it and wants the lawsuit in Florida postponed until the one in North Carolina plays out first.
I saw a take on the other board that this is not a done deal. Both FSU and ACC have filed motons to dismiss each others lawsuits. That is the just of this. There has been no approval by the ACC to let them go.

I'm pretty sure this is a wild leap in what has been stated. The ACC has said they are open to allowing FSU to buy back their TV rights (from the GOR) and could leave the conference. That would still involve a massive payout for both things, so much so that it is likely cost prohibitive if the ACC is "willing" to be bought out.

It's also not without precedent - Texas and Oklahoma bought out one year of their GOR with the Big 12 to leave a year early (they were originally joining the SEC in 2025). I believe that UT/OU paid somewhere around $50M each to leave the Big 12.

Reactions: Ski
Where do they land? SEC or B10 are the only viable options.

Assuming they ever get out, I would guess they are SEC all the way. Their fans clearly want SEC and it would be a much better regional fit. It all depends on the SEC giving them an invite.

FBS will be two conferences by 2027. Awesome news if true but ill believe it when a reliable source reports it! The ACC and Big XII just died if true. Notre Dame should be calling the Big Ten any second.

Last edited:
Reactions: rrdd2021
Assuming they ever get out, I would guess they are SEC all the way. Their fans clearly want SEC and it would be a much better regional fit. It all depends on the SEC giving them an invite.
I feel so old....remembering when they joined the ACC in 92 as not that long ago. They were an Independent for the Catholics vs Convicts game where Chris Zordich started the brawl.

Over the years we have lost some high profile recruits to them...Dan Kendra being the biggest. Oddly Nasier Upshaw 4 star TE from Philly ended up at West Chester.

One could argue that most significant miss was in hoops...Bob Sura from Wilkes Barre GAR is still their all time leading scorer.

Tempus fugit

Reactions: psu00
I feel so old....remembering when they joined the ACC in 92 as not that long ago. They were an Independent for the Catholics vs Convicts game where Chris Zordich started the brawl.

Over the years we have lost some high profile recruits to them...Dan Kendra being the biggest. Oddly Nasier Upshaw 4 star TE from Philly ended up at West Chester.

One could argue that most significant miss was in hoops...Bob Sura from Wilkes Barre GAR is still their all time leading scorer.

Tempus fugit
Miami was Catholics vs convicts…and yeah we are ll getting old lol

It's not even technically wrong, it's just not news. FSU has always had the ability to leave the ACC -- they'd have to pay a large exit fee to leave and if they want to buy back their TV rights from the GOR they'd have to spend a ton for that too. That's never not been true and the ACC is only acknowledging the reality - FSU is free to leave the conference, as long as they pay. That's all the statement was about, just saying that the conference isn't preventing FSU from leaving if that's what they want to do.

The issue has always been how much FSU would have to pay and the answer is "a hell of a lot" (probably hundreds of millions of dollars) which is why they are fighting in court to avoid having to pay all that.

This whole "breaking news" is completely a nothing burger.

Also, are we calling BS on this yet since it's not being reported?
It’s been reported by the Tampa Bay Times, On3, and a few others. It was revealed in a court filing, so it’s legitimate.

As a Pitt fan, I’m hoping they settle with whoever wants to leave for the Big Ten or SEC. We’ll collect the paychecks and then bolt to the Big 12 once the contracts become void… :cool:

It’s been reported by the Tampa Bay Times, On3, and a few others. It was revealed in a court filing, so it’s legitimate.

As a Pitt fan, I’m hoping they settle with whoever wants to leave for the Big Ten or SEC. We’ll collect the paychecks and then bolt to the Big 12 once the contracts become void… :cool:
You do realize that being in the Big XII at that point won't be the top tier of football, right?
The playoff will only be SEC vs. Big Ten

You do realize that being in the Big XII at that point won't be the top tier of football, right?
The playoff will only be SEC vs. Big Ten
Obviously, but we aren’t going to be in the Big Ten or SEC. We’re in the third best conference right now and will end up in the third best conference when it’s all said and done. Nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Obviously, but we aren’t going to be in the Big Ten or SEC. We’re in the third best conference right now and will end up in the third best conference when it’s all said and done. Nothing wrong with that.
Trust me, I'm hoping the Big XII because takes the best of the rest and we have a legit second league with about 42 teams. 3 divisions/conferences of 14 and they can go back to using ACC/Big XII/Pac XII. Top 4 in each make the playoff and you have a great league, that will have a ton of fans and an awesome 12 team playoff. I'm just not sure most fans of those schools are looking forward to that day

The die is cast. Florida State, Clemson, Miami, maybe North Carolina and Stanford will flee the ACC. The remaining gaggle of bottom feeders will form a new division of the MAC. That is where this is headed.

and then bolt to the Big 12 once the contracts become void… :cool:

But what exactly is "legitimate"? That Florida St could spend a bunch of money and leave the ACC? How was that not already true? These media reports are blowing out of proportion (or misinterpreting) court filings where the ACC is basically stating that they aren't preventing FSU from leaving the conference as long as FSU goes through the proper channels. Nothing that has been reported is any different than it was last week or last month or last year and FSU is no closer to leaving the conference unless they want to blow through a massive pile of cash.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

a solid take, and you sir, are an anomaly in Pitt football circles. Most project real hate on PSU simply for being a more successful football program.

But what exactly is "legitimate"? That Florida St could spend a bunch of money and leave the ACC? How was that not already true? These media reports are blowing out of proportion (or misinterpreting) court filings where the ACC is basically stating that they aren't preventing FSU from leaving the conference as long as FSU goes through the proper channels. Nothing that has been reported is any different than it was last week or last month or last year and FSU is no closer to leaving the conference unless they want to blow through a massive pile of cash.
I think the difference is that, apparently, the ACC is now willing to negotiate/settle with Florida State. I don't believe that was clear before.
a solid take, and you sir, are an anomaly in Pitt football circles. Most project real hate on PSU simply for being a more successful football program.
I've always been a Pitt basketball fan first, so I've never really had the disdain for Penn State that others do simply because there's never really been a rivalry there. I also wasn't young enough to experience the pre-2016 football rivalry... I had fun taking part in it when the series was renewed, but that void has been replaced with WVU for me, which was *the* rivalry for most of my childhood/adulthood.

I also have no issues with not joining the Big Ten/SEC because we're likely going to join a basketball conference with Arizona, Kansas, and several other marquee programs... hopefully they also add Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, and even UConn when it's all said and done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT