ADVERTISEMENT

Frontier and Spirit airlines merging

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
if you are a frequent flier, the merger looks something like this (via Twitter).

dumbanddumber.gif

Two lousy airlines combine to form one, larger lousy airline? I will continue to avoid them.
Made an error when paying for my checked luggage on my return flight from Tampa on Spirit. I paid for a 2nd bag when I had already paid for it. The f....ers wouldn't reimburse me for the error but gave me a credit for my next flight. That'll happen shortly after hell freezes over.

just means less competition and higher prices. I think gone are the days that we had when airline tickets got really cheap there for about a decade plus in the 2010's. i mean could get down to Florida for less than $200 a ticket with 2 or 3 weeks notice.

just means less competition and higher prices. I think gone are the days that we had when airline tickets got really cheap there for about a decade plus in the 2010's. i mean could get down to Florida for less than $200 a ticket with 2 or 3 weeks notice.

Still some cheap tickets out there. 3 of us are flying round-trip from Harrisburg to Fort Lauderdale in April for $411. Allegiant.

Reactions: hlstone
Two lousy airlines combine to form one, larger lousy airline? I will continue to avoid them.
I absolutely loath Spirit Airlines. I think part of their corporate mission statement is to do everything possible to alienate their passengers. Ever try to reach a Spirit customer service rep --- I'm convinced they simply don't exist. I've seen women in tears at a check-in gate perhaps six times, and honestly believe every instance involved Spirit Airlines. I swore to never fly Spirit again about five years ago, and have not wavered on that vow.

Frontier was actually a really good airline a couple of mergers ago. They had a strong focus on customer service, and they were a viable alternative to the legacy airlines like United, Delta, and American. Unfortunately, they apparently weren't able to meet shareholder expectations and lost their way. They haven't received my business or personal travel dollars for many years.

I've flown Spirit often and their customer service is horrific. That said, last November my wife and I flew RT from Pittsburgh to Miami for $52 - for both tickets! It cost me more to drive to the Pittsburgh airport. Their fares are spectacular.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
I've flown Spirit often and their customer service is horrific. That said, last November my wife and I flew RT from Pittsburgh to Miami for $52 - for both tickets! It cost me more to drive to the Pittsburgh airport. Their fares are spectacular.
If they cut corners on customer service, chances are they cut corners everywhere. Not a chance in hell I ever fly Spirit, Allegiant, or Frontier. I’d just assume drive 12-15 hours than fly those airlines. Never have, never will.

what airline customer service isn't horrific. the issue with the discount airline is they don't have many flights so when there is an issue with a crew or plane or weather, they don't have the capacity to try and move things around to still get the flight out at some time, they just cancel. and then there isn't many flights in the future to just re-book everybody so basically you are sort of SOL at that point.

Made an error when paying for my checked luggage on my return flight from Tampa on Spirit. I paid for a 2nd bag when I had already paid for it. The f....ers wouldn't reimburse me for the error but gave me a credit for my next flight. That'll happen shortly after hell freezes over.
‘It’s the Spirit way’, as they are trained to tell you as you end up constantly getting charged for ‘stuff’ to push the initial fare over other better options when it’s all said and done.

I used to love the flying experience on Midwest Express
was that the discount airline that basically had first class seats (two per side instead of three per side) in the entire plane and they gave you hot cookies?

I just happened to be looking for flights to Florida and I can book you the week of Feb 20th out of either Newark, Trenton, Philadelphia, or Baltimore, round trip to Orlando for anywhere from $57 to $79, right now. Out Sunday or Monday and back any day you want through Saturday. Nonstop as well.

I just happened to be looking for flights to Florida and I can book you the week of Feb 20th out of either Newark, Trenton, Philadelphia, or Baltimore, round trip to Orlando for anywhere from $57 to $79, right now. Out Sunday or Monday and back any day you want through Saturday. Nonstop as well.
but you have to add in a bag and to choose a seat. so what is when you add in the extras. still sounds cheap, but probably another $125 round trip to add that stuff.

Reactions: BOSCO2
but you have to add in a bag and to choose a seat. so what is when you add in the extras. still sounds cheap, but probably another $125 round trip to add that stuff.
Why would you ever pay to choose a seat as they give you one. A backpack, normal college type backpack, if free. If you need luggage, get the largest, lightest one you can find and tell your travel companion that you'll be sharing, so make one large bag and each person with a backpack enough.

Here's a link. I set up a matrix; out on 2/21 +-2 days, back on 2/25 +-3 days. Nonstop and out/back airport must be the same.

I was out looking at flights to Ireland when I saw your post.

Last edited:
I’ve flown Spirit and Frontier probably a dozen times each without any problems. Sure, you have to pay an extra $14 to reserve a seat. But so what? It’s how they all do it now.

You do not have to chose a seat. You get a seat. When you register 24 hrs before the flight you can then pick a seat for free. I flew to Florida last month. $56 round trip.

Why would you ever pay to choose a seat as they give you one. A backpack, normal college type backpack, if free. If you need luggage, get the largest, lightest one you can find and tell your travel companion that you'll be sharing, so make one large bag and each person with a backpack enough.

Here's a link. I set up a matrix; out on 2/21 +-2 days, back on 2/25 +-3 days. Nonstop and out/back airport must be the same.

That backpack better fit under the seat or you're getting charged.

Don’t even get me started with these freaking airlines. Delta is the worst as well as United and American.
I book economy for 5 which is more than paying for 1 or 2 that buy seats and we are treated like dogs. Check bag fees are high United has no free carry on and they don’t assign seats they scattered my family all over and we ask since we are traveling with children to move together in the back row. After being on hold for 4 hours for all airlines They said you have to do all of this at the gate. Dear lord. Delta and American cancels flights all the time and then they keep either the 6 am or the red eye and nothing in between. After flying to Tampa for New Years and Denver and Phoenix this week my wife and I are done with the headaches for at least a year.
They nickel and dime you and blame all problems in COVID or weather. Heck once flight we couldn’t take off for an hour sitting in the plane because the waitress in the skies couldn’t count people correctly.

OK. I was referring to my experience with Spirit.
Again, not true. I've flown Spirit about 20 times in the last 3 years. You can put your backpack in the overhead if there's room. Also, I'm talking about a typical book backpack, not something with a frame. A typical book backpack will fit under the seat if you so desire. Oh, if the overheads are full and someone with a paid carry on needs a space someone's backpack is going to come down. This has never happened to me.

Again, not true. I've flown Spirit about 20 times in the last 3 years. You can put your backpack in the overhead if there's room. Also, I'm talking about a typical book backpack, not something with a frame. A typical book backpack will fit under the seat if you so desire. Oh, if the overheads are full and someone with a paid carry on needs a space someone's backpack is going to come down. This has never happened to me.
All I know is, I paid for checked bags. I paid for carry on bags that were too big to fit under the seat. You're saying it didn't happen?

All I know is, I paid for checked bags. I paid for carry on bags that were too big to fit under the seat. You're saying it didn't happen?
I've been talking about FREE bags, not paid carry-on bags. A regular size backpack is free and will fit under the seat and if space is available, which it always is, can go in the overhead. I've never had them complain about my backpack, ever. A word of caution is that women's purses are considered one bag so the purse should go inside the backpack.

This actually begs a bigger question. Why would you pay MORE for a carry-on than what you pay to check a bag? The paid carry-on bag is for max specific size and that max size won't fit under a seat. It is meant to go in the overhead. Your carry-on must have been larger than the max size allowed.

I've been talking about FREE bags, not paid carry-on bags. A regular size backpack is free and will fit under the seat and if space is available, which it always is, can go in the overhead. I've never had them complain about my backpack, ever. A word of caution is that women's purses are considered one bag so the purse should go inside the backpack.

This actually begs a bigger question. Why would you pay MORE for a carry-on than what you pay to check a bag? The paid carry-on bag is for max specific size and that max size won't fit under a seat. It is meant to go in the overhead. Your carry-on must have been larger than the max size allowed.
See my OP. My complaint is that they ripped me off and didn't give me a refund for my error in double-paying for a checked bag. My other complaint is paying for ANY size carry on bags. How about a glass of water, too. Respond if you like, but I'm done.

How cheap are flights to Ireland running these days? What about to Shannon (were you looking there?)?

How cheap are flights to Ireland running these days? What about to Shannon (were you looking there?)?
I was looking into and out of Dublin. For mid-June, nonstop service the best I found was United out of Newark for $501. If you chose a 1-stop flight you could go through Lisbon for about $400 or so. I'm thinking about doing that and spending a couple days in Lisbon instead of going straight to Ireland.

I was surprised that the Irish Airline, Aer Lingus, didn't have the best price for nonstop as they usually do, but United had them beat by about $250 per ticket.

I was looking into and out of Dublin. For mid-June, nonstop service the best I found was United out of Newark for $501. If you chose a 1-stop flight you could go through Lisbon for about $400 or so. I'm thinking about doing that and spending a couple days in Lisbon instead of going straight to Ireland.

I was surprised that the Irish Airline, Aer Lingus, didn't have the best price for nonstop as they usually do, but United had them beat by about $250 per ticket.
BTW, Northwestern plays Nebraska in Dublin over Labor Day weekend. This is like the game we played against Central Florida. This was one of the best sports events I've ever attended. Just a blast.

Reactions: Sharkies

Do you get the Mile High Club discount on Aer Lingus? Asking for a friend. A very close friend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT