ADVERTISEMENT

Free or Folk?

I grew up with folk, so I prefer it. Folk has its fair share of painful nuances to power through. However, I have come to appreciate (and slowly learn) and enjoy watching the other wrestling styles. This weekend is the most I have watched Greco…I actually liked watching it. I like the distinctive of each style that sets them apart from the others.
You must enjoy watching paint dry.

Last week, I made it clear that in my mind G/R should not be classified with F/S wrestling - enough of that topic!

I realize after watching way too much F/S wrestling the last month or so - folkstyle is much more exciting to watch! Even Lewan!

3-4 leg laces and that's exposure - dumb as hell to me? The guys are sitting on their asses and rolling to keep their knees from being torn!

I've never been leg laced - have no idea if it's painful or not - Beau went around quick when Alirez pinched/crossed his knees -

dropping to your knees prevents the 1pt step out or you see a caution offered for fleeing ... maybe caution and 1 ... what the hell? You are out of bounds, knees or not? Award the point! Keep it consistent

body locks and exposures when you clearly are taken down is dumb - the initiator gets penalized for the elementary school roll thru ?!?! <--- really DUMB

Folkstyle is understood by every wrestler / wrestling fan in the USA - Top/Bottom/Neutral -

I thought freestyle was growing on me. But last week, the US Open matches were on, so I decided to watch. First match up - a PSU commit --- TD, leg lace 1, 2 ,3, 4 match over. I realized I couldn't sit through this ridiculous sport. Even with no other options, I couldn't bring myself to watch freestyle. It's too damn annoying.

Reactions: JimNazium
Two years ago Is when I started to like freestyle, not sure why either something just clicked and I understood the rules and the techniques. There really is more action and less stalling in freestyle compared to folk. Folk's offering of positions is what keeps it interesting IF the top wrestler decides to push offense however, if the just ride to stay on top give me freestyle all day. I can flip flop between the two, as for Greco-Roman it should have died as soon as Free/folk became a thing! 🤮

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT