ADVERTISEMENT

For those who want to continue to play Pitt, how about this?

The sheer volume of posts here about Pitt, and the fact that a number of posters admit to going over to the Lair regularly to monitor board traffic there, suggests something different to me.

I just don't see PSU developing an in conference rivalry like UCLA-USC, Alabama-Auburn, Michigan-Ohio State, or even Cal-Stanford, as things presently stand. A three way rivalry with Michigan and Ohio State? Maybe, but that seems awkward. Michigan State? No. Maybe Rutgers at some future date if they improve their program a whole lot, but I'm not betting on that.

It is telling that PSU has played Pitt something like 98 times. Is that merely a consequence of the fact that both schools are located in the same state? Not sure I'm buying that.

The only thing preventing it from being a rivalry in the truest sense is that the teams do not play in the same conference, and Pitt simply does not have and will not have a football program with the national stature of Penn State.

I could see the development of an in-conference rivalry with Maryland if they continue to improve. Border states, the schools are about 4 hours apart and we compete for the same athletes -especially in the DMV. Lots of Pennsylvania kids go to Maryland and vice versa.

How about....no.

Unless the NCAA increases the max number of regular season games to 13, or the Big Ten decides to go back to an 8 game conference schedule I see no reason to lose one available scheduling slot, on an annual basis, to Pitt.
110 000 fans on Saturday says there is a big interest in this rivalry.

I'd go for a 2 for 1 series followed by a year off. Then another 2 for 1 followed by another year off. PSU could use the 2 for 1 to it's advantage and use every 4th year to schedule another P5 opponent.

Unfortunately Pitt would never go for it and I don't see why PSU would agree to home and home (unless PSU got an oversized % of the gate when Pitt is the home team).

bd: That's not a bad idea. Pitt would need to be persuaded on the 2 for 1, but the obvious truth is that they do not bring enough fans of their own to justify a home and home. As it is, they are betting on PSU fans travelling to Heinz to take in the games there.

That's what they said about instant replay not long ago.
Have the AD's agree to play starting in 2025, or whenever. Then, starting with the last game of the current series in 2019, the winner of that game gets the next game at home. If we win in 2019, we play 2025 at home. If we win in 2025 we get 2026 at home. If Pitt wins in 2019, they get 2025 at home. You keep winning, you keep getting home games. Make the game result actually mean something.

:)

Reactions: gslachta

Only because it's a novelty. If they played every year interest would drop pretty quickly especially considering pitt's downward trajectory. We played pitt every year when I was in school, and generally no one cared.

Have the AD's agree to play annually starting in 2025, or whenever. Then, starting with the last game of the current series in 2019, the winner of that game gets the next game at home. If we win in 2019, we play 2025 at home. If we win in 2025, we get 2026 at home. If Pitt wins in 2019, they get 2025 at home. You keep winning, you keep getting home games. Make the game result actually mean something.
Actually all games are played at Beaver Stadium until the series location is even between the two schools. 73 games were played in Pittsburgh, 25 games in State College or Bellefonte, therefore if they want to play us the next 48 games should be played at Beaver Stadium. Then a home and home can be played.

Reactions: pandaczar12
Is this even a real sticking point? I have to believe Pitt would go all in for a 3:1 if we wanted. I believe the fans/alums would rather not be bothered with a MAC+ team - especially one with *that* fan base.

I believe they have already turned down a 2-1 deal. No way they take a 3-1 deal

I believe they have already turned down a 2-1 deal. No way they take a 3-1 deal

My understanding was that back in the 90s, Pitt turned down a long term (10) deal that gave PSU more home games, and a 1-1... stating that they only wanted a long term deal. So the ball has always been in their court, and eventually I guess they decided they wanted to man up and play this current 4 game series. PSU sacrificed back in the day to make the game happen, Pitt is now unwilling to do the same. It's all on them.

I for one, hope we never play them again after this series. I wish we'd cancel the last two games right now.

My understanding was that back in the 90s, Pitt turned down a long term (10) deal that gave PSU more home games, and a 1-1... stating that they only wanted a long term deal. So the ball has always been in their court, and eventually I guess they decided they wanted to man up and play this current 4 game series. PSU sacrificed back in the day to make the game happen, Pitt is now unwilling to do the same. It's all on them.

I for one, hope we never play them again after this series. I wish we'd cancel the last two games right now.
This was originally a 1-1 series scheduled when Paterno was still the coach. Two games were added later.

I could see the development of an in-conference rivalry with Maryland if they continue to improve. Border states, the schools are about 4 hours apart and we compete for the same athletes -especially in the DMV. Lots of Pennsylvania kids go to Maryland and vice versa.
I agree with this. Also, we're becoming more of a rival to OSU than they will ever admit. We just need to keep getting wins. We'll never replace Michigan, but win enough and we'll earn their ire.

What about a Pac 12 team? You live in L.A., right?
That would be awesome for me. Rip Engle started a series with UCLA that continued for 3 years after Paterno took over. Weekend road trips to Phoenix or the Bay area for a game with Cal or Stanford would be great fun, too, but I think regularly playing mid-Atlantic ACC teams--or even Miami, with whom we have a history--would be better for PSU recruiting.

That would be awesome for me. Rip Engle started a series with UCLA that continued for 3 years after Paterno took over. Weekend road trips to Phoenix or the Bay area for agame with Cal or Stanford would be great fun, too but I think playing mid-Atlantic ACC teams--or even Miami, with whom we have a history--would be better for PSU recruiting.
Arizona State would be awesome.

Reactions: Nit Nolte

I'd go for a 2 for 1 series followed by a year off. Then another 2 for 1 followed by another year off. PSU could use the 2 for 1 to it's advantage and use every 4th year to schedule another P5 opponent.

Unfortunately Pitt would never go for it and I don't see why PSU would agree to home and home (unless PSU got an oversized % of the gate when Pitt is the home team).
How many do you think would have showed up for a PSU-Bama game, or PSU-ND?

Reactions: Ski
How about this -- Penn State and Pitt have played 98 times. 23 times the game was played in State College and 75 times in Pittsburgh. Thus, Pitt owes us 52 home games. Let's continue the series starting in 2020. We will play in State College every year until 2072 and then after that alternate between State College and Pittsburgh. Let's make this fair.

Lemon Ears, I totally agree. We should use the argument that we have a bigger stadium, attract bigger attendance and generate more interest. Since this reasoning worked for Pitt in the 30' 40's 50's and 60's they should agree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT