ADVERTISEMENT

Flyers have system/talent in place to emulate the Penguins article!

Let me think ??? NOOOOOOO!!!
Until totally NEW ownership nothing will change, way too much inbreeding :)

Reactions: TheGLOV
You mean the Broad St. Bully era will finally come to an end?

The one that set hockey back to the stone ages and set the game back years, instead of showcasing great skating ability it focused on getting away with brutality on ice.

You mean the Broad St. Bully era will finally come to an end?

The one that set hockey back to the stone ages and set the game back years, instead of showcasing great skating ability it focused on getting away with brutality on ice.

As much as it pains me to say it, Philadelphia is going to be a team to reckon with sooner rather than later. There's a lot of young talent on that team.

Can't wait for article on how Philly can improve cheese steaks by emulating the way Pittsburgh makes them.

The Flyers' fans I know would rather never win the Cup, than change their style of play. They'd rather (try) to physically destroy people and lose, than finesse people and win the Cup. Otherwise, it diminishes their tainted wins from 50 years ago.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and TheGLOV
The Flyers' fans I know would rather never win the Cup, than change their style of play. They'd rather (try) to physically destroy people and lose, than finesse people and win the Cup. Otherwise, it diminishes their tainted wins from 50 years ago.
You need to change the Flyers fans you hang out with. That is crazy talk

Hextall is doing very, very good work, and the Flyers are going to be heard from, very soon, my guess is they win a playoff series next year, and in two years, will be a threat to win the Cup.

Hextall is doing very, very good work, and the Flyers are going to be heard from, very soon, my guess is they win a playoff series next year, and in two years, will be a threat to win the Cup.

Dont know about winning a playoff series next year. Offense is still over-reliant on Voracek and Giroux. Blueline in 3 years will be among the best in the NHL though. Hoping they dont trade them away for a borderline top 6 Forward.

Of course it is. But, they can't let go of the Broad Street Bullies. It kills them when not only do the Pens win the Cup, but it's a finesse win. They can't stand it.

Great article. Impossible to dispute the facts the writer laid out.

Pennsylvania's most violent NHL team is not from Philadelphia

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/1/21/7867079/pittsburgh-penguins-violence-penalties-flyers

Then there's this. Last year FIVE Penguins were in the top 40 in penalty minutes including the no. 1 Steve Downie. Only ONE Flyer was in the top 40.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/p...es/sort/penaltyMinutes/year/2015/seasontype/2

That's not finesse. It's goonery.

Last edited:
Of course it is. But, they can't let go of the Broad Street Bullies. It kills them when not only do the Pens win the Cup, but it's a finesse win. They can't stand it.
The Flyers are a finesse team and have been for years - so your Flyer fan friends don't really have a choice. Giroux and Voracek are both highly skilled players, and Gostisbehere is a very highly-skilled defenseman. Provorov and Sanheim (the two top D prospects - I predict that Provorov will be on the team next year and Sanheim in the AHL) are skilled, puck-moving defensemen, and Konecny is a highly-skilled winger who might make the team in training camp.

The Flyers have been continuously adding skilled players and dumping whatever unskilled plugs were still on the team when Hextall arrived. Their farm system went from the worst in the league to one of the league's best in the span of two or three years, they have something like 10 picks in the first three rounds this year, and Gostisbehere is just the start of that prospect wave. They're coming - and they'll be coming with skill, not brawn.

Sorry Flyer fans.....you know what this means :-(

The "Curse of the Billy Goat" ain't got nuthin' on 21!!

Then there's this. Last year FIVE Penguins were in the top 40 in penalty minutes including the no. 1 Steve Downie. Only ONE Flyer was in the top 40.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/p...es/sort/penaltyMinutes/year/2015/seasontype/2

That's not finesse. It's goonery.
Uh......just a friendly heads up

If you are going to say this....."Why don't you try to dispute any of the facts"....to another poster....

You might want to check your own "facts"

[The stats you linked were NOT from last year...and, in fact, of the 5 guys you referenced in the link, 4 of the 5 don't even play for the Penguins

If you DID link the correct stats, you would see that there is not a single Penguin player in the top 50 in Penalty Minutes (Bobby Farnham is listed, but of his 100 penalty minutes only 5 came with Pittsburgh - the rest after he was traded to the Devils).....and only 1 in the top 80
In the meantime, there are 2 Flyers in the top 10, ]

Last edited:
Uh......just a friendly heads up

If you are going to say this....."Why don't you try to dispute any of the facts"....to another poster....

You might want to check your own "facts"

[The stats you linked were NOT from last year...and, in fact, of the 5 guys you referenced in the link, 4 of the 5 don't even play for the Penguins]

Uh. Last year was the 2014-15 season. So my facts are correct.

And if they didn't play for the Penguins last year, you should contact ESPN and tell them their stats are wrong.

Duh.

Yup the Flyers farm system is loaded. Good young goalies coming up and their young guns on defense in the farm system has everyone talking. They are loaded with top rated defense players. Just need another 1-2 young scoring wingers and they are going to be very tough to beat. Need another 1-2 years to clean up cap issues and they will be good to go. Should be some great games and playoffs as these young guns make their way up to the big league. We saw what a difference the ghost made this year. Imagine another 3 top D guys joining him with solid goal tending and consistent scoring. Add in a great coaching staff. Hextall obviously knows what he is doing. He built the cup winning LA Kings team. Fun times ahead for hockey fans....

Yup the Flyers farm system is loaded. Good young goalies coming up and their young guns on defense in the farm system has everyone talking. They are loaded with top rated defense players. Just need another 1-2 young scoring wingers and they are going to be very tough to beat. Need another 1-2 years to clean up cap issues and they will be good to go. Should be some great games and playoffs as these young guns make their way up to the big league. We saw what a difference the ghost made this year. Imagine another 3 top D guys joining him with solid goal tending and consistent scoring. Add in a great coaching staff. Hextall obviously knows what he is doing. He built the cup winning LA Kings team. Fun times ahead for hockey fans....
Buying out Umberger today will be a good start. Being able to ditch Lecavalier's contract and not having to go through the Pronger LTIR dance every year was absolutely massive for their cap - at this point, MacDonald is really the only anchor contract remaining, and he can be stashed in the AHL when the kids come up to at least gain some savings. Streit's in the last year of his deal, and he's a prime trade candidate.

Reactions: bwifan
The Penguins were ugly and painful to watch in 2014-2015 and that season and those stats have no relevance on this conversation or what the Flyers may or may not want to emulate.

Dont know about winning a playoff series next year. Offense is still over-reliant on Voracek and Giroux. Blueline in 3 years will be among the best in the NHL though. Hoping they dont trade them away for a borderline top 6 Forward.

I would say more accurately that the Blueline "has the potential to be" among the best in 3 years. You have a cornerstone in Gostisbehere to build around but keep in mind he has 1 year under his belt. I like that he's further along than most 2nd year players thanks to college maturity but taking a step back in a year or so is the norm at this position even for the best prospects (I'd look at Letang and Maata as examples).

Similarly, the Flyers have 3 guys in the system that have loads of potential in Provorov, Morin and Sanheim. None of these guys have a second of NHL experience and only 1 has played at the AHL level. The learning curve for D is very steep and time it takes to develop them is extensive. 3 years to gel this unit into a top 5 corps is being extremely generous and that's IF they all progress at the same rate and are properly supported by the system, coaching and forwards (i.e., no young D is going to develop on a team that struggles to score goals, spends too much time in their own end or is not properly managed in terms of minutes). A lot has to fall into place for an 18 year old blue chip D prospect to be an NHL regular by the time he's 22-24.

No they wouldn't. That is incredibly foolish.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT