ADVERTISEMENT

Fleming

Not to sound rude, but........
F**K Fleming
Julian may turn out to be a very serviceable college WR. But the practice field at OSU didn't tilt in his direction in deference to his star rating/evaluation, when he stepped on.
It is one thing to be all world at Southern (i say that with all due respect, as I played at SCA in the middle ages, a scrub freshman, when Grandpa Mick was the QB) but quite another to be a "go to" WR at OSU.
I've always been just a little bit concerned that Julian was a good year to year and a half older than the kids he was playing against. That doesn't mean he is not very talented. It could mean that he isn't going to improve as much as an exceptional HS WR who was just 17 when he graduated and perhaps just 16 for much of his senior year.

Ohio State also leads for the top 2021 WR and the top 2022 WR. Seeing as though Wilson is only a sophomore and Jaxon Smith-Njigba is probably their best freshman WR, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fleming not materialize at Ohio State the way many thought.

That says more about the ridiculous WR talent at Ohio State more so than Fleming. He certainly showed well in camps, but he didn't face the kind of HS competition that some of these other stud Buckeye WRs did.

Julian may turn out to be a very serviceable college WR. But the practice field at OSU didn't tilt in his direction in deference to his star rating/evaluation, when he stepped on.
It is one thing to be all world at Southern (i say that with all due respect, as I played at SCA in the middle ages, a scrub freshman, when Grandpa Mick was the QB) but quite another to be a "go to" WR at OSU.
I've always been just a little bit concerned that Julian was a good year to year and a half older than the kids he was playing against. That doesn't mean he is not very talented. It could mean that he isn't going to improve as much as an exceptional HS WR who was just 17 when he graduated and perhaps just 16 for much of his senior year.

They have a boatload of receivers with experience. Where did you see the report that he struggled in practice?

He would certainly have seen the field at PSU

Yes there is an awful lot of talent at both WR and QB at Ohio State (current players and commits) and there is no way to keep all these talented players happy. Practice reports say that Fleming is still learning the playbook and route running and is the 3rd best WR in the freshman class behind Jaxson Smith and Gee Scott. Fleming would have definitely seen the field at Penn State but he made a business decision.

Yes there is an awful lot of talent at both WR and QB at Ohio State (current players and commits) and there is no way to keep all these talented players happy. Practice reports say that Fleming is still learning the playbook and route running and is the 3rd best WR in the freshman class behind Jaxson Smith and Gee Scott. Fleming would have definitely seen the field at Penn State but he made a business decision.
And OSU is bringing more top talent in 2021 and likely 2022

And OSU is bringing more top talent in 2021 and likely 2022

It's the virtuous cycle (for them), and the vicious cycle for the rest of us.

When your 5* QB feeds stud WRs, then other elite prospects want to be a part of that. And with Ewers likely to commit, look for the very best WR recruits to line up to get on board and join that. And with all that WR talent stockpiled, look for future elite QB recruits to want to go to Ohio State. And so on.

Illinois really, really wanted to get 4* WR Mookie Cooper out of STL. He'd be an instant impact guy at Illinois -- their best WR prospect since Arrelious Benn. Instead, he commits to Ohio State in the same WR class as Fleming, Njigba, Gee Scott, etc. The attraction is there. The way Ohio State has featured their WRs in recent years, it's hard to say no.......even if a more analytical assessment would bear out that perhaps a kid like Cooper is better off going somewhere where he's not the #8 WR on the depth chart.

The rich get richer.

He would certainly have seen the field at PSU
I haven't seen a Southern game in decades.....except youtube etc. But, how many future D1 DB's would Southern Columbia play against in a given year? Most of the clips I saw, would be Julian blowing by a kid that looked like me in high school. LOL

Fleming was spotted by Franklin as a Soph. at SC, but CJF has to beat whatever other schools have to offer. He had Fields, same story.
I don't know what other schools have to offer, but to the knowledgeable fan it seems suspicious. Linemen at other schools are just massive ?????. The only school that will compete with OSU on that level is Wisconsin, Barry knows???, and he will get there.

I think it's high time someone offer Brian Hartline a promotion at any school not called Ohio State.
Hartline is really good....if Urban took the USC job last year he would have been the OC. Hartline is really a great position coach...he teaches receivers so well....he teaches the concept of explosion point and catch point when running routes...he really does an excellent job with recruiting and bonding with receivers.. don’t ask me how I know this.. ;) he is good and is bidding his time.

Wonder if McCord and Harrison Jr. are paying attention? #1 WR in the country and top PA prospect Fleming goes to Ohio St to be a bench warmer when he undoubtedly would have started at Penn St and likely would have been the difference in game 1 and would have been featured from the start as a freshman. Now it appears that he is the 3rd best WR at Ohio St in his own class and is getting recruited over already as a freshman.

Fleming was spotted by Franklin as a Soph. at SC, but CJF has to beat whatever other schools have to offer. He had Fields, same story.
I don't know what other schools have to offer, but to the knowledgeable fan it seems suspicious. Linemen at other schools are just massive ?????. The only school that will compete with OSU on that level is Wisconsin, Barry knows???, and he will get there.
Franklin might be able to spot talent, but he’s generally befuddled when it comes to coaching them to become NFL caliber talent.

Considering the number of players in the NFL I assume you are kidding or a moron.

actually, I think PSU has nothing to be ashamed of re players in the NFL. OSU may have more but we are doing okay. We also have some good WRs in the NFL. many of the OSU players look a lot better when they are ON the tOSU team, than they do when having to make it on their own. Haskins was an all world QB at OSU, but not sure how that has translated to playing in the league.

okay. But what did you mean by the practice field did not tilt in his direction in deference to his stars/evaluation?
Geez.....No player gains any advantage because of some recognition or rating bestowed upon them as prep players. Once you strap on the gear, you are all equal, and need to prove your talent. While I'm sure Julian will eventually work his way to or near the top of the depth chart, it doesn't appear it will be this season. Common sense tells me that currently OSU has at least 2 or 3 options they consider better than Fleming. Please be clear that I wish him success vs. everyone with the exception of PSU.

Wonder if McCord and Harrison Jr. are paying attention? #1 WR in the country and top PA prospect Fleming goes to Ohio St to be a bench warmer when he undoubtedly would have started at Penn St and likely would have been the difference in game 1 and would have been featured from the start as a freshman. Now it appears that he is the 3rd best WR at Ohio St in his own class and is getting recruited over already as a freshman.
You are projecting Fleming as a PSU starter based on high school rankings. Would he have to try out or would you just anoint him the starter?

LOL. He’s two games into his true freshman season. Slow down.

Theo Johnson hasn’t gotten any PT yet, right? Did he make a mistake coming to PSU? Perhaps Curtis Jacobs should have gone to Maryland instead?

Goodness.

It's the virtuous cycle (for them), and the vicious cycle for the rest of us.

When your 5* QB feeds stud WRs, then other elite prospects want to be a part of that. And with Ewers likely to commit, look for the very best WR recruits to line up to get on board and join that. And with all that WR talent stockpiled, look for future elite QB recruits to want to go to Ohio State. And so on.

Illinois really, really wanted to get 4* WR Mookie Cooper out of STL. He'd be an instant impact guy at Illinois -- their best WR prospect since Arrelious Benn. Instead, he commits to Ohio State in the same WR class as Fleming, Njigba, Gee Scott, etc. The attraction is there. The way Ohio State has featured their WRs in recent years, it's hard to say no.......even if a more analytical assessment would bear out that perhaps a kid like Cooper is better off going somewhere where he's not the #8 WR on the depth chart.

The rich get richer.

I believe the Transfer Portal is also helping to fester this storm cloud. Before the transfer portal, if a kid made a "wrong decision" by going to an Ohio State, Bama or Clemson... and being the #8 WR on their depth chart, the kid was basically screwed. Before the transfer portal, guys would have the tough (no win) decision of having to sit out and lose a year of eligibility or transfer to a D1AA/D2 school for immediate playing time...... So, I believe before the transfer portal guys thought much more about the risk of being the #8 WR on a depth chart. But now..... why not "roll the dice". Go ahead and shoot for the stars. You never know. Go to Ohio State, Bama .... and compete. If you win the starting job or even see playing time then basically your ticket is punched. Worst case scenario... if you do not you just go ahead into the transfer portal and go to a school where you can get immediate playing time.

LOL. He’s two games into his true freshman season. Slow down.

Theo Johnson hasn’t gotten any PT yet, right? Did he make a mistake coming to PSU? Perhaps Curtis Jacobs should have gone to Maryland instead?

Goodness.
Neither were the #1 player at their position coming out of HS and Theo was coming off of injury. Plus WR is a position where freshmen typically can come in and play right away. PSU has 2 true freshmen rated significantly below Fleming who came in and are immediately contributing.

Fleming also would have made an immediate impact at PSU and likely would be featured. He'd probably already be a household name in Big 10 country. Instead he's like the 8th option at Ohio St and 3rd option in his own class. The class coming in behind him almost certainly has the #1 and #5 WRs in the country and that isn't even counting Harrison Jr who will play the role of Fleming there next year. Fleming is looking like a strong portal candidate at this point.

Harrison Jr. is next year's version at WR. And yes, McCord will be sandwiched between two 5 star QBs in the class before and after where it is the #1 overall player in the nation. There is better than a 50% chance that each of Fleming, McCord, and Harrison Jr. never have even 1 season as a starter at Ohio St. They've already been recruited over.

Franklin might be able to spot talent, but he’s generally befuddled when it comes to coaching them to become NFL caliber talent.

It’s true. Everything about PSU sucks now thanks to Franklin. He truly does nothing right.

For f*ck’s sake.

Why the fixation on someone who never even made a verbal commitment to PSU? He went elsewhere. I think we'll survive. I'm happy with the players who actually wanted to play for PSU.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
71O916bTY4L.jpg

I’m going to take a timeout for the short program. 😞

I believe the Transfer Portal is also helping to fester this storm cloud. Before the transfer portal, if a kid made a "wrong decision" by going to an Ohio State, Bama or Clemson... and being the #8 WR on their depth chart, the kid was basically screwed. Before the transfer portal, guys would have the tough (no win) decision of having to sit out and lose a year of eligibility or transfer to a D1AA/D2 school for immediate playing time...... So, I believe before the transfer portal guys thought much more about the risk of being the #8 WR on a depth chart. But now..... why not "roll the dice". Go ahead and shoot for the stars. You never know. Go to Ohio State, Bama .... and compete. If you win the starting job or even see playing time then basically your ticket is punched. Worst case scenario... if you do not you just go ahead into the transfer portal and go to a school where you can get immediate playing time.
Better yet, if you transfer to OSU or Michigan you are granted immediate eligibility unlike if you transferred anywhere else where you have to sit out a year.

Better yet, if you transfer to OSU or Michigan you are granted immediate eligibility unlike if you transferred anywhere else where you have to sit out a year.

Who transferred to Penn State that wasn't granted the waiver?

The early years of the transfer portal you had to justify to the NCAA a reason and then they'd grant you immediate status. But this has pretty much been shot down. There are now lawyers who specialize in exactly how to petition the NCAA for a guy to have immediate eligibility based on precedent. It's now become a joke and pretty much anyone who wants to transfer via the portal is granted immediate eligibility. The NCAA more or less realized they were in a no-win situation, so they rubber-stamp all transfers.

The early years of the transfer portal you had to justify to the NCAA a reason and then they'd grant you immediate status. But this has pretty much been shot down. There are now lawyers who specialize in exactly how to petition the NCAA for a guy to have immediate eligibility based on precedent. It's now become a joke and pretty much anyone who wants to transfer via the portal is granted immediate eligibility. The NCAA more or less realized they were in a no-win situation, so they rubber-stamp all transfers.

If you put the right reasoning/words into your transfer waiver, you will get approval. And the reasoning/words could be 100% lies/false. Florida football fans said Shorter's reasoning was his 'mental well-being' at Penn State was drastically impacted because he was onto his 3rd WR coach, 2nd or 3rd Offensive Coordinator, and that the fans were unjustly critical of his performance, all of which impacted his 'mental well-being'. The NCAA is NOT going to disagree with that kind of assessment, so sure enough they granted his transfer approval.

We have not had good luck with Transfers, but maybe it is time to start filling gaps with transfers a la Louisville back in the day and Rutgers now, especially considering the poor recruiting cycle in 2021.

I think Jordan Stoudt is killing it. A great pick up.

Yeah, he's 0-1 on Field goals this year, but he has been great since he has been here. I think we really need more safety help, maybe some help on the O-line.

Yeah, he's 0-1 on Field goals this year, but he has been great since he has been here. I think we really need more safety help, maybe some help on the O-line.

Stout is 1/2 on Field Goals this year. He made the 50 yarder at the end of the 1st Half in the Ohio State game. Stout has been a great pickup via the transfer portal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT