ADVERTISEMENT

Fleming coming back Home

Here's the list of receivers he's had to share snaps with
Chris Olave (1st round)
Garrett Wilson (1st round)
Smith-Njigba (1st round)
Marvin Harrison jr (future 1st round)
Emeka Ebuka (might return or possible 1st round)
And he came in the same class as Jamison Williams (1st round).

He was never their number 1 guy but the fact that he's seen as many snaps as he did has to say something.

It's a double edged sword though - with all the attention on those superior players, should have left him open one on one a lot more to be able to get open and have more impressive results.

Again, I think Fleming is an improvement and I hope we do indeed pull him in, but I'm not convinced he's significantly better than other "talent/upside" guys we already have.

It's a double edged sword though - with all the attention on those superior players, should have left him open one on one a lot more to be able to get open and have more impressive results.

Again, I think Fleming is an improvement and I hope we do indeed pull him in, but I'm not convinced he's significantly better than other "talent/upside" guys we already have.
Agree and disagree. If those guys are open, they are going to get the ball thrown to them. If not, I agree with you.

flemming had the fourth most receptions on the team after Harrison, Stover, and Egbuka. Right behind him was Carnell Tate who is a Freshman.

He had 26 receptions for 270 yards for a 10.4 YPC average. He is also 6-2 and 210 lbs so isn't a burner.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

If he is willing to do the work downfield and block and is a mature and focused player in the lockeroom, I will take it.

Sounds like there's a few people here who would gladly hack off their nose to spite their face. I'm not a fan of the portal or NIL, but I wouldn't turn away anything that would help the team short of bad or illegal.

Who are these guys we already have with “talent/upside”?

We had arguably the worst WR room in the BIG this year - you need to overhaul the whole room IMO. But unfortunately, because of where we stand with NIL, we’re not going to be players for “game changing WRs” currently in the portal. People in this harboring for game changers are going to be disappointed where we stand with the top WRs in the portal.

So now we have a PA former 5* knocking on the door to finish out his career here, and we’re questioning it. And he was reasonably productive - twice as productive as anyone on our roster - and we’re going to turn up our nose because he went to OSU? Just win, baby. Who cares.

Reactions: Grass
Chris Olave (1st round)
Smith-Njigba (1st round)

He was never their number 1 guy but the fact that he's seen as many snaps as he did has to say something.
It’s amazing how many talented WRs have gone through OSU recently and ridiculous how many were 1st round picks. Not sure how anyone wouldn’t want to add Fleming who was productive on a CFP team loaded with 1st round picks. I agree with the fact that he’s been productive the last two years competing with two first round picks for targets, one of which is the best WR in the country the last two years, and is known as a very good blocker. Who cares that he picked OSU a few years ago and based on their history you can’t blame him. I do think it’s odd he entered the portal going into to next season as the #1 for OSU. I’m wondering if him “going home” is a big part of it playing in front of his home state and remember PSU has OSU at so that’s going to be an epic whiteout. I’m sure he still gets people back home telling him he should’ve gone to PSU and telling him this is his last chance for a storybook ending.

Who are these guys we already have with “talent/upside”?

Tre Wallace, Malik McClain, Kaden Saunders. all 4* recruits that have shown some flashes at times but then inconsistent or injured. I guess you could even toss Omari Evans in there too.

So now we have a PA former 5* knocking on the door to finish out his career here, and we’re questioning it. And he was reasonably productive - twice as productive as anyone on our roster - and we’re going to turn up our nose because he went to OSU? Just win, baby. Who cares.

While I do see a few who don't want him out of some weird sour grapes idea, those seem to be very few and far between. Most people posting here seem happy to have him transfer to PSU.

At least for myself, I'd welcome Fleming with open arms but I'm just not expecting him to be a game changer. IMHO he's more likely to be somewhere in the realm of Lambert-Smith level production than Jahan Dotson. If he comes to PSU and breaks out, fantastic - but OTOH if he comes and is simply decent, I'm sure you'll have the naysayers on here complain about how Franklin failed to properly use a 5* recruit even though tOSU didn't do a whole lot with him either.

Chris Olave (1st round)
Smith-Njigba (1st round)

Pretty impressive. What could PSU throw out there against that armada? Hamler, Dotson, Washington, Tinsley, KLS…

Take Fleming and let him show the rest how top rated rooms operate. He can play in the NFL. Still looking for the long ball threat.

I do think it’s odd he entered the portal going into to next season as the #1 for OSU.

This is the very interesting part of it. Is MHJ and Egbuka going to return? Tate seemed to be getting similar targets in the games I watched, but seemingly on lesser snaps. They have another who came in with Tate and another loaded WR class coming in as well.

Fleming has been productive when healthy, and if our staff wants him, I want him. He should bring a veteran presence to the room that it probably lacked in '23 without Washington and Tinsley.

Still, I am not positive that Fleming is going to be this 1st round game breaker type that some foresee him as. I also don't think he's going to be a worthless scholly either. Best case scenario, he shows future PA WRs why you don't leave home.

This is the very interesting part of it. Is MHJ and Egbuka going to return? Tate seemed to be getting similar targets in the games I watched, but seemingly on lesser snaps. They have another who came in with Tate and another loaded WR class coming in as well.

Fleming has been productive when healthy, and if our staff wants him, I want him. He should bring a veteran presence to the room that it probably lacked in '23 without Washington and Tinsley.

Still, I am not positive that Fleming is going to be this 1st round game breaker type that some foresee him as. I also don't think he's going to be a worthless scholly either. Best case scenario, he shows future PA WRs why you don't leave home.
he's a big body WR and not a "take the top off" burner. I think he would be #2 to KLS. Still, an upgrade. I haven't given up on the portal guys from last year. I think our passing game was a dumpster fire and that is why we have a new OC. So we'll see.

I don't think he'd be a deep threat, but if he can stay healthy he would improve the WR room and probably be more productive than he was @ OSU. Take him any day over Greene from UNC.
Does PSU have any chance with the WR from Indiana, the tall one, not the returner? It's a risk with Flemings shoulder issues but one I think worth taking unless he wants alot of NIL.

Last edited:
he's a big body WR and not a "take the top off" burner. I think he would be #2 to KLS. Still, an upgrade. I haven't given up on the portal guys from last year. I think our passing game was a dumpster fire and that is why we have a new OC. So we'll see.

Definitely agree. I think KLS is a true slot player. I think having healthy, reliable options on the outside will open up his game more. And the whole OC thing, hopefully we have that fixed now.

Reactions: tboyer
I don't think he'd be a deep threat, but if he can stay healthy he would improve the WR room and probably be more productive than he was @ OSU. Take him any day over Greene from UNC.
Does PSU have any chance with the WR from Indiana, the tall one, not the returner? It's a risk with his shoulder issues but one I think worth taking unless he wants alot of NIL.

I think his productivity is twofold:

1. His place in our WR room
2. How AK works things out WRT scheme/usage/Allar

As bad as things were last year, I think improvement will come rather quick. It's just a matter of how much we see.

We are a little dysfunctional around here.......
One-Flew-Over-a-Cuckoos-nest-1024x578.webp

Tre Wallace, Malik McClain, Kaden Saunders. all 4* recruits that have shown some flashes at times but then inconsistent or injured. I guess you could even toss Omari Evans in there too.
Wallace looked good early but got injured.

I'm not sure what's up with Saunders. He's still young and perhaps a bit small.

McClain is the real mystery. He has great size and he looked good early. Then he dropped a couple of passes and we seldom saw him after that.

I assume Evans was injured for much of the year. He showed some athleticism against MSU but I also might have looked good against MSU. Who knows?

He's better than KLS right now.

Surprised I haven’t seen anyone mention it. Would he bring the playbook and signals? If so it is worth the risk. And legal!

Does PSU have any chance with the WR from Indiana, the tall one, not the returner? It's a risk with Flemings shoulder issues but one I think worth taking unless he wants alot of NIL.
I want the kid from Indiana too, 6-3 can run, a former QB who did a job on us this year. But, something tells me he is UM bound, fingers crossed.

Agreed. I never understood people getting angry with any recruit going elsewhere, and in the current day of NIL and the portal it seems hypocritical to criticize any player who changes teams when your favorite team is out there recruiting the portal.
In this instance, it was the way it played out. Personally, if I was Franklin, I would say beat it, but I'm not Franklin. Gotta wonder about dynamic in locker room, too, bringing in a guy who was too good for PSU and after playing against PSU for past 4 years now comes in to take someone's job. I dont like it.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
In this instance, it was the way it played out. Personally, if I was Franklin, I would say beat it, but I'm not Franklin. Gotta wonder about dynamic in locker room, too, bringing in a guy who was too good for PSU and after playing against PSU for past 4 years now comes in to take someone's job. I dont like it.
The quickest way to overcome a team not liking you is to join that team and help them win. Past disagreements get forgotten quickly.

Wallace looked good early but got injured.

I'm not sure what's up with Saunders. He's still young and perhaps a bit small.

McClain is the real mystery. He has great size and he looked good early. Then he dropped a couple of passes and we seldom saw him after that.

I assume Evans was injured for much of the year. He showed some athleticism against MSU but I also might have looked good against MSU. Who knows?

I think you've seen how all these guys play. It's a whole bunch of recruiting mistakes. McClain -- at FSU he could do everything but catch the ball, and it didn't change moving to Happy Valley. I can understand why PSU took him as a transfer because obviously they were desperate. You can always hope. But the guy plays the way he plays, and it's not changing at this point.

PSU's difficulty recruiting receivers is understandable given the constant turnover at OC and receivers coach. It's a position where the relationship to position coaches is very important. The position coaches can't recruit big-time players because the kids know they will be gone after 1-2 seasons.

I still think the mistake that started all this was going from JoeMo to RIcky Rahne. It was probably budget-driven but it was the beginning of the long decline in PSU offense. Franklin really hasn't consistently recruited receivers since his very first years at PSU. Yes they have had good receivers -- Hamler fell in their lap because he was so small, Dotson fell in their lap because UCLA fired the head coach who had recruited him. But they haven't really recruited well at the position in a really long time.

I think you've seen how all these guys play. It's a whole bunch of recruiting mistakes. McClain -- at FSU he could do everything but catch the ball, and it didn't change moving to Happy Valley. I can understand why PSU took him as a transfer because obviously they were desperate. You can always hope. But the guy plays the way he plays, and it's not changing at this point.

PSU's difficulty recruiting receivers is understandable given the constant turnover at OC and receivers coach. It's a position where the relationship to position coaches is very important. The position coaches can't recruit big-time players because the kids know they will be gone after 1-2 seasons.

I still think the mistake that started all this was going from JoeMo to RIcky Rahne. It was probably budget-driven but it was the beginning of the long decline in PSU offense. Franklin really hasn't consistently recruited receivers since his very first years at PSU. Yes they have had good receivers -- Hamler fell in their lap because he was so small, Dotson fell in their lap because UCLA fired the head coach who had recruited him. But they haven't really recruited well at the position in a really long time.
This is probably a naive comment but I think the biggest reason why coaches and assistants are paid so much is because they can recruit. They've developed contacts with the best high schools/coaches and they can boast about coaching kids that went on to the NFL.

Developing players and teaching plays is something that I'd think a lot of coaches know how to do. I think most DIII coaches should be able to teach kids how to block or run a slant.

Reactions: bison13
Well at
Rumor on X Mccord and Fleming going to Nebraska.
Well at least that’s a posted rumor, true or not. But now we’ve hit 75 post's on a rumor begun by a lunatic with an imaginary insider friend. 🤪😜😝 He’d be more accurate with his predictions if he claimed the Titanic sunk the iceberg.

Actually, Hammler was going to MSU. He stated that he changed his mind with all the problems there and committed to PSU. I believe the most damage done to our WR recruiting were the transfers of our two highest rated WR's in years; Shorter and Johnson.

From what I hear from someone who has coached him Tyseer Denmark is the real deal and could help immediately the WR room.
If that is true with Denmark, and we get a "quality WR" in the portal, we will be set for next year. The kid from Indiana or Fleming would do nicely. If Fleming is at PSU today, as reported, I think he is ours. He visited enough 4 years ago, so we must be high on his mind now.

Reactions: psrurock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT