ADVERTISEMENT

Fixing Penn State's Defensive Communication Issues -- Film Study

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
FILM STUDY -- PSU D ISSUES

Interesting take here...we all focused on the issues Penn State's offense had because of the lack of spring practice and the wacky start-stop-start nature of fall camp, but the defense seemed to be just as disjointed and "not on the same page." Doesn't make a ton of sense considering the returning starters we had last year -- all of which had been in Pry's system before. And other than the Rutgers game, the issues never went away. Michigan State crushed us in the first half and Illinois had three touchdowns in the first quarter. Hard to explain why this never got fixed...because the offense seemed to turn the corner mid-season.

Interesting take here...we all focused on the issues Penn State's offense had because of the lack of spring practice and the wacky start-stop-start nature of fall camp, but the defense seemed to be just as disjointed and "not on the same page." Doesn't make a ton of sense considering the returning starters we had last year -- all of which had been in Pry's system before. And other than the Rutgers game, the issues never went away. Michigan State crushed us in the first half and Illinois had three touchdowns in the first quarter. Hard to explain why this never got fixed...because the offense seemed to turn the corner mid-season.
Thanks for that link. Pretty revealing and not in a good way. Hopefully adjustments and the communication issues are fixed.

Reactions: CaliLION79
I wouldnt say they are communication issues, I think they are more coaching issues, fundamental issues.
if anything I think we do too much on defense. No reason to teach a banjo concept in m/m, its tough enough to teach them to stay with their man.

Reactions: CaliLION79
Yeah, some of these defensive lapses, especially pass defense, have been a theme for more than a year. I don't claim to know how to fix them, but this dates back to the Rose Bowl. Something needs to change with our defensive back field particularly as it relates to obvious passing downs(3rd and 8) and late game prevent type defenses. Many a school have figured out how to create wide open receivers for big chunks of yardage in those situations.

Reactions: BBrown
Yeah, some of these defensive lapses, especially pass defense, have been a theme for more than a year. I don't claim to know how to fix them, but this dates back to the Rose Bowl. Something needs to change with our defensive back field particularly as it relates to obvious passing downs(3rd and 8) and late game prevent type defenses. Many a school have figured out how to create wide open receivers for big chunks of yardage in those situations.
+100.

Is it just me, or does it seem like 95 percent of our defensive issues last year had something to do with luketa missing his assignment or just straight up missing his tackle? I know it was hinted at on here a few months ago, but is there any chance he moves to DE after the spring? Because according to franklin smith and jacobs are starting outside and I'm assuming ellis will be inside.

Is it just me, or does it seem like 95 percent of our defensive issues last year had something to do with luketa missing his assignment or just straight up missing his tackle? I know it was hinted at on here a few months ago, but is there any chance he moves to DE after the spring? Because according to franklin smith and jacobs are starting outside and I'm assuming ellis will be inside.

JMO but yea Luketa was bad but it wasn't just him. The entire defense from coaches on down were bad.

Reactions: bwifan

MSU vs. PSU was on Big Ten Football in 60 minutes the other day. Despite knowing the outcome, I had to turn it off because the defense was so putrid. They made MSU's freshman quarterback look Heisman worthy.

MSU vs. PSU was on Big Ten Football in 60 minutes the other day. Despite knowing the outcome, I had to turn it off because the defense was so putrid. They made MSU's freshman quarterback look Heisman worthy.

Felt the exact same way. That first half was a disaster. I was ready to fire both Pry and KC at halftime.
Oh and don't watch the Illinois game either because its almost a mirror image of the MSU game.:rolleyes:

Reactions: bwifan
Communication was one of several issues. I saw Steve Smear critiquing the defense after I believe was the Indiana game. He called out the mlb for not adjusting the defensive front when Indiana shifted their tight end. Now was the failure to shift on the mlb or did the coaches fail.

Communication was one of several issues. I saw Steve Smear critiquing the defense after I believe was the Indiana game. He called out the mlb for not adjusting the defensive front when Indiana shifted their tight end. Now was the failure to shift on the mlb or did the coaches fail.

Good question.
I think it was either MD's first or 2nd TD but the DL looked completely confused and didn't know where to line up.

Good question.
I think it was either MD's first or 2nd TD but the DL looked completely confused and didn't know where to line up.
that is in the clip linked above. But Really the DL wasnt the issue, our DB's and coverage schemes were terrible. We try to do too much, and by doing so, there doesnt appear that any of the DB's ever practice fundaments
our guys dont need to be thinking, they need to be playing.

that is in the clip linked above. But Really the DL wasnt the issue, our DB's and coverage schemes were terrible. We try to do too much, and by doing so, there doesnt appear that any of the DB's ever practice fundaments
our guys dont need to be thinking, they need to be playing.

Yes it was in the clip but the guy doing the review also pointed out the inability of the DL to get into position.
I agree about trying to do too much but maybe with limited practices and no spring they should have made it a lot
simpler. 🤷‍♂️ Although tackling was still a huge issue.

Reactions: sluggo72
Maryland has some good receivers and a very good QB. Their offensive gameplan seemed to be to throw it or run it where PSU ain’t, and there were certainly a lot of places where our defense ain’t.
What really bothers me is that Pry has been DC since 2016 and many of these players had a lot of snaps prior to this game. You would never know it from what was going on. For the Blogy had an additional video last fall covering the PSU defensive struggles and you continually heard the words “ Pop Warner “, “ High School “, and “ fundamentals “.
If anybody’s seat is going to be hot this fall it’s Pry.

Maryland has some good receivers and a very good QB. Their offensive gameplan seemed to be to throw it or run it where PSU ain’t, and there were certainly a lot of places where our defense ain’t.
What really bothers me is that Pry has been DC since 2016 and many of these players had a lot of snaps prior to this game. You would never know it from what was going on. For the Blogy had an additional video last fall covering the PSU defenses struggles and you continually heard the words “ Pop Warner “, “ High School “, and “ fundamentals “.
If anybody’s seat is going to be hot this fall it’s Pry.

+100.
As much as I want to blame all of this on covid and the B1G ten prez I can't.
There is, as they say, history behind some of the issues that keep coming up.

Reactions: sluggo72
JMO but yea Luketa was bad but it wasn't just him. The entire defense from coaches on down were bad.

Without a doubt the LB's struggled mightily last year and so did the DB's. Not sure if it was a talent issue or new starters with lack of practice and cohesion. Want to see how the upcoming season goes as I think coach Dex is going to be a good addition to our safety's and dbs as a whole. But something needs to change. The LBs last year looked a step slow to everything and bad angles. JMO as I am not a coach and just my observations. Could be something else totally as well that I don't see as a fan....

Without a doubt the LB's struggled mightily last year and so did the DB's. Not sure if it was a talent issue or new starters with lack of practice and cohesion. Want to see how the upcoming season goes as I think coach Dex is going to be a good addition to our safety's and dbs as a whole. But something needs to change. The LBs last year looked a step slow to everything and bad angles. JMO as I am not a coach and just my observations. Could be something else totally as well that I don't see as a fan....
mostly thinking , I believe. Paralysis by analysis

Reactions: BBrown and bwifan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT