ADVERTISEMENT

Fitzpatrick signs with Bucs: what about Hackenberg & the Jets?

There's a story out quoting an NFL scout talking about how absolutely horrible Hack's accuracy has been. I don't know how to link it.
I and others said and were criticized for it that Hack was the main reason for Penn State's poor offenses for a couple seasons. Agreed that the OL sucked, but the coaches took a lot of unjustified criticism for Hack's shortcomings. Not only was his accuracy poor, but he played very slow and made poor decisions. Unless something changes, the Jets made a big mistake drafting him.

There's a story out quoting an NFL scout talking about how absolutely horrible Hack's accuracy has been. I don't know how to link it.
I and others said and were criticized for it that Hack was the main reason for Penn State's poor offenses for a couple seasons. Agreed that the OL sucked, but the coaches took a lot of unjustified criticism for Hack's shortcomings. Not only was his accuracy poor, but he played very slow and made poor decisions. Unless something changes, the Jets made a big mistake drafting him.
LINK: Scout critical of Hack's accuracy in warm-up

Franklin got kicked around pretty good and OC lost his job. Now, all is well that ends well (led to JoMo's hiring) but POTENTIAL is a dangerous word.

Reactions: Mixolydian

I'm not a QB expert, but what I can't figure out is how Hack had that one amazing season as a rookie and then the two horrible ones. Was he inaccurate in his rookie season as well? Was there some sort of cause and effect between all of the sacks/pressures/hits due to the poor O line and this inaccuracy? Was there something different about the offense under O'Brien that tolerated a less accurate passer?

Based on what I've read over the years, It was Franklins fault until part way through this past season and then it Hacks fault because he never had it.

I'm not a QB expert, but what I can't figure out is how Hack had that one amazing season as a rookie and then the two horrible ones. Was he inaccurate in his rookie season as well? Was there some sort of cause and effect between all of the sacks/pressures/hits due to the poor O line and this inaccuracy? Was there something different about the offense under O'Brien that tolerated a less accurate passer?
In 2013 Hack had the 59th best QB rating in college football. His 5 star hype and the reasonable expectation that he would improve with experience influenced many to think his PSU future was bright. The line was a major factor, but his decision making, lack of an internal clock, erratic footwork that led to less than stellar accuracy on short and intermediate routes........cannot all be attributed to coaching and offensive line issues. I hope he wins the Jets job and has it for a decade. But no way PSU has the season they had in 16 with Hack as the QB.

In 2013 Hack had the 59th best QB rating in college football. His 5 star hype and the reasonable expectation that he would improve with experience influenced many to think his PSU future was bright. The line was a major factor, but his decision making, lack of an internal clock, erratic footwork that led to less than stellar accuracy on short and intermediate routes........cannot all be attributed to coaching and offensive line issues. I hope he wins the Jets job and has it for a decade. But no way PSU has the season they had in 16 with Hack as the QB.
Are you saying that Hack got worse or was that bad in his Freshman year as well?

Are you saying that Hack got worse or was that bad in his Freshman year as well?

IMO he didn't progress. His stats dipped in part due to the depleted OL and his inability to adapt and adjust. Tom Brady and Manning can look pretty pedestrian when hit constantly. I'm just saying Christian's struggles were more than just the OL. There were flashes of greatness, one can't deny. I was at the Pinstripe Bowl and when he laid the deep ball out there it was a thing of beauty. His arm strength and stature....straight out of central casting.
But too often on a three step drop and quick release he would fire the ball behind or at the feet of a receiver just a few yards away.....or kill a drive, when no one was open, by holding the ball and taking a sack, instead of throwing the ball away.

Reactions: Mixolydian
I think a lot of times as fans we think about how good they were "for a freshman" and assume they will make giant leaps forward. CH was never a 60% completion passer. His stats at PSU were pretty flat, maybe even a little declining. Could have been supporting cast or him. Sometimes a player is who they are coming out of high school. If every player naturally progressed with experience there would never be recruiting or draft "busts."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT