ADVERTISEMENT

Fishing

Ct. did this on March 25th. The original day is the 2nd Saturday in April. To open mid week with no warning leaves most people doing something else but the word got around quickly and by the afternoon there were crowds on the streams that had been stocked already. Unfortunately many streams had not been stocked so this caused crowding on the streams that were stocked. So I am not sure it met the objective.

Social distancing is not conducive to most opening day traditions. I remember it getting so bad I used to skip opening day.
When my father was teaching me stream etiquette back in the 1950's, he told me to leave the length of a football field between me and another fisherman who was already on the stream and that I should follow and never step in front of him, or fish the opposite direction he was going. Pine Creek, Slate Run, Asaph Run, Four Mile still hold magical memories in my mind.

The Pa fish commission announced yesterday that trout season is now open. They did so so that there will not be large crowds on the regular opening. They hope this will keep people spread out instead of the usual opening day crowds.

The Pa fish commission announced yesterday that trout season is now open. They did so so that there will not be large crowds on the regular opening. They hope this will keep people spread out instead of the usual opening day crowds.
That's not breaking news. It was yesterday. I was keeping it a secret so the idiots wouldn't come stand next to me.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
That's not breaking news. It was yesterday. I was keeping it a secret so the idiots wouldn't come stand next to me.

What I don’t get is why fishing is okay but golf isn’t. Wolf gave a half you know what “explanation” today saying golf involves “congregating” whereas fishing is “individual”. My best friend moved to Wilmington, NC a year and a half ago and they have very similar shelter in place rules down there. However, golfing is permitted. They only permit 1 person per cart, do not have rakes in the sand traps or pins on the greens (all the pin placements are the same on every hole) and have upraised cups so that players retrieving their balls do not have to touch the cup. Other than paying at the pro shop which is no different than paying at a store (or paying online which involves no human contact) it is hard for me to imagine an activity which involves greater social distancing than golf. Am I wrong about this?

I read they were just going to put all the fish in at one "stop" to cut down on folks coming out to watch. Did they do it that way? Not a good idea on smaller streams unless running really high. Bigger water dispersal over several days but still not like six, ten, whatever stops!

I read they were just going to put all the fish in at one "stop" to cut down on folks coming out to watch. Did they do it that way? Not a good idea on smaller streams unless running really high. Bigger water dispersal over several days but still not like six, ten, whatever stops!
They stalked with just commission employees. No volunteers allowed. So the fish were put in near roadways instead of being spread out. But the rain and high waters should help disperse them.

I fished yesterday am. They only stocked 25% of the normal stream length, probably less. By the time I left the stocked holes were as crowded as opening day and most people weren’t even aware it was open yet. Great social distancing idea, cram everyone into a much smaller area.

Last edited:
What I don’t get is why fishing is okay but golf isn’t. Wolf gave a half you know what “explanation” today saying golf involves “congregating” whereas fishing is “individual”. My best friend moved to Wilmington, NC a year and a half ago and they have very similar shelter in place rules down there. However, golfing is permitted. They only permit 1 person per cart, do not have rakes in the sand traps or pins on the greens (all the pin placements are the same on every hole) and have upraised cups so that players retrieving their balls do not have to touch the cup. Other than paying at the pro shop which is no different than paying at a store (or paying online which involves no human contact) it is hard for me to imagine an activity which involves greater social distancing than golf. Am I wrong about this?
Golfers don't need to buy a fishing license from the STATE OF PA. ;)

Golf should be open too with some of the restrictions already noted.

however consider too that fisherman probably own more guns than golfers do

Yes they did. We rarely see bald eagles near my house and now there's a resident eagle full of stockies feeding on them dawn til dusk. SMH

I won't comment on what my Dad saw upstream of his cabin on "opening day" because it's not fair to real fishermen and people that understand social distancing or care about others.

Not opening golf courses TOMORROW - at least sans Philly/Pittsburgh is misguided. Sorry. These people at these golf clubs need to work! And the clubs need revenue! And it's no more dangerous than going the damn Giant Iggle for your chipped, chopped ham. Some have tried to stay open to walkers, only to have the state police show up and shut them down. The same state police that aren't responding to non-emergency calls. Yeah...

Last edited:
They stalked with just commission employees. No volunteers allowed. So the fish were put in near roadways instead of being spread out. But the rain and high waters should help disperse them.
Thank you for the information! I worked 30 years for the PFC. Offered hatchery manager, however, it was back when you had to live on site. I had four sports playing children and it just did not fit. I settled for foreman. One of my life "legacy's," steelhead eggs were flown to Erie from Oregon. Worker from Linesville Hatch picked them up and when I met him halfway late evening and incubated them. The steelhead program was born!

Yes they did. We rarely see bald eagles near my house and now there's a resident eagle full of stockies feeding on them dawn til dusk. SMH
There is a bike trail from Titusville to Petroleum Centre that follows Oil Creek. There are lots of trees between it and the creek. I walk several miles on it several days/week. A power line crosses it just before the One mile South mark. Last summer, one in a hundred trips, husband and wife flying right there. Talk about luck! Did see often where I worked though. They really never hit us, however constant war with the blue herons!

Reactions: PearlSUJam
There is a bike trail from Titusville to Petroleum Centre that follows Oil Creek. There are lots of trees between it and the creek. I walk several miles on it several days/week. A power line crosses it just before the One mile South mark. Last summer, one in a hundred trips, husband and wife flying right there. Talk about luck! Did see often where I worked though. They really never hit us, however constant war with the blue herons!
They have become more common here in NEPA. It's a common occurrence to see a few a year as I'm on the water a lot. However, this year they've seemed to focus on road kills and easy prey such as stocked trout. I see them snatching trout then head to work and have had one fly down in front of my truck and grab a road kill squirrel in an urban area. Insane.

Thank you for the information! I worked 30 years for the PFC. Offered hatchery manager, however, it was back when you had to live on site. I had four sports playing children and it just did not fit. I settled for foreman. One of my life "legacy's," steelhead eggs were flown to Erie from Oregon. Worker from Linesville Hatch picked them up and when I met him halfway late evening and incubated them. The steelhead program was born!
Great job. Steelhead are big in the fall. For both fishermen and businesses. Should be pretty proud of the impact it has had.

Social distancing is not conducive to most opening day traditions. I remember it getting so bad I used to skip opening day.
When my father was teaching me stream etiquette back in the 1950's, he told me to leave the length of a football field between me and another fisherman who was already on the stream and that I should follow and never step in front of him, or fish the opposite direction he was going. Pine Creek, Slate Run, Asaph Run, Four Mile still hold magical memories in my mind.
I still make it a point to make the pilgrimage from out of state to Asaph and around the corner to Straight Run every few years. Straight Run is magical for brookies and about as beautiful of a little fishery as you will find anywhere east of the Mississippi. Other northern PA favorites for me include Long Run (near Gaines) and Eleven Mile (near Millport).

Another personal favorite for what I call "wild" trout is Cherry Run off Cherry Run Rd (near Weikert) in central PA about 30 minutes east of State College. Has anyone fished that lately? It has been many years for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT