ADVERTISEMENT

First play from scrimmage?

Quick flat screen to get Clifford and the WR's off to a good start.

Offsides on the defense.
The second play however will be a hand off to Cain for 4 yards which will be spotted by the line judge at 3.5 yards.

Fumble-rooski and CJ Thorpe rumbles 67 yards for a TD

or

hand-off to Cain for 5 yards. Both are equally probable...
Call it by it’s proper name, The Annexation of Puerto Rico. Not exactly the fumble-roosky but close.
RPO keep hit TE for 6 yards.

• Haha
Reactions: TheBigUglies
Whatever happened to the quick kick?

I recall a game back in the 70s where PSU had an opponent backed up near their own end zone. The crowd was excited for a safety but they used a quick kick on 3rd down and it went about 70 yards.

We should establish the run on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. We have a strong OL, a great cast of backs, better overall talent and superior pedigree. Do what we do best early and often. Put our foot on their throat as we should have done in years past, so they don't even think for a second that they have a chance in the 2nd half.

We come out in an I-formation, with a fullback ahead of Cain. Clifford motions out wide, the fullback steps up behind center and runs a QB sneak.

Multiple people here literally explode in an orgasmic frenzy.

Reactions: Thomas1945
False start. 1st and 15. Then handoff to Cain, immediately hit in the backfield for a loss of 5. 2nd and 20.

Whatever the play call is.....it won’t involve a quick count, a quick toss to the outside, any misdirection or a pass inside the two hash marks.

Whatever happened to the quick kick?

I recall a game back in the 70s where PSU had an opponent backed up near their own end zone. The crowd was excited for a safety but they used a quick kick on 3rd down and it went about 70 yards.

First play from scrimmage:
Play action, Cliff looks deep but throws down to Cain out of the backfield for 6 yards.

IU's first play:
Flea-flicker... handoff to Scott, toss back to Penix, throw deep to The Whop. Good for 27 yards.

OT:
Pretty sure the quick kick you refer to was vs NC State in '75. Lou Holtz was the NC State coach. NC State won by 1 point, I think. That play cemented the win.

I remember a couple players talking about that play after the game. They had a defensive call for something out of the ordinary happening, like a quick kick. A couple players on the field recognized it was coming and made the call, but the deep backs did not hear it or did not pick up on it in time. The ball rolled, giving PSU a long field, and then could not get in position for the FG attempt.

In 1978 at Temple to open the season, Wayne Hardin of Temple used the 3rd down punt a bunch of times in his own territory to keep PSU from teeing off on 3rd down and making something bad happen for Temple. So they punted on 3rd down and put PSU back in its own territory with a longer field. It worked, as PSU needed a last second FG by Matt Bahr to win 10-7. And we know the 1978 teams was one of our best ever.
Hardin was a terrific coach at Navy and at Temple. Temple's teams then were known as street fighters. Hardin turned them into winners, and they usually won the fist fight on the field, too. In 1979, they went to the Garden State Bowl(!!) and played a good Cal team with Joe Roth (iirc) at QB. They pummeled Cal and won by a couple TDs. After the game the Cal players and coaches said they had never been in such a physical game.

Reactions: bdgan
Play action, Cliff looks deep but throws down to Cain out of the backfield for 6 yards.

IU's first play:
Flea-flicker... handoff to Scott, toss back to Penix, throw deep to The Whop. Good for 27 yards.

OT:
Pretty sure the quick kick you refer to was vs NC State in '75. Lou Holtz was the NC State coach. NC State won by 1 point, I think. That play cemented the win.

I remember a couple players talking about that play after the game. They had a defensive call for something out of the ordinary happening, like a quick kick. A couple players on the field recognized it was coming and made the call, but the deep backs did not hear it or did not pick up on it in time. The ball rolled, giving PSU a long field, and then could not get in position for the FG attempt.

In 1978 at Temple to open the season, Wayne Hardin of Temple used the 3rd down punt a bunch of times in his own territory to keep PSU from teeing off on 3rd down and making something bad happen for Temple. So they punted on 3rd down and put PSU back in its own territory with a longer field. It worked, as PSU needed a last second FG by Matt Bahr to win 10-7. And we know the 1978 teams was one of our best ever.
Hardin was a terrific coach at Navy and at Temple. Temple's teams then were known as street fighters. Hardin turned them into winners, and they usually won the fist fight on the field, too. In 1979, they went to the Garden State Bowl(!!) and played a good Cal team with Joe Roth (iirc) at QB. They pummeled Cal and won by a couple TDs. After the game the Cal players and coaches said they had never been in such a physical game.
I was at that 78 Temple game. One of the most frustrating PSU wins I ever witnessed. I just kept waiting for us to explode and put them away. We were lucky to escape. After the game I left the Vet and found some dive bar in So. Philly and drank the shakes away.

Reactions: Bob78
I was at that 78 Temple game. One of the most frustrating PSU wins I ever witnessed. I just kept waiting for us to explode and put them away. We were lucky to escape. After the game I left the Vet and found some dive bar in So. Philly and drank the shakes away.

Temple - Penn State games in the mid 70s were gut-wrenching for PSU. 1 point wins in '75 at Franklin Field, in '76 at the Vet, and then by 3 points in '78 at the Vet again. Playing them in Phila was always the proverbial street fight.

Reactions: Thomas1945
Delay of the game because of the deafening piped in crowd noise. IU then gets penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct for exceeding the decibel limits for piped in sound. Net gain of 10 yards.

IU's first play:

OT:

Great memory

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT