ADVERTISEMENT

"First in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen."

fairgambit

Aug 20, 2010
Happy Birthday to the greatest American that ever lived, George Washington!!!

GW2013-IMAG0521-600.jpg

peale-portrait-george-washington.jpg

george-washington-trenton.6.b958.jpg

George-Washington-Mount-Vernon-1080x675.jpg

The famous line you cited is from a funeral oration delivered by Major-General Henry Lee, on Dec. 26, 1799, before the Congress of the United States. At the time, Lee was a member of the House of Representatives, representing his area of Virginia. He had served under Gen. Washington in the Revolutionary War. He's more commonly known as Gen. Light-Horse Harry Lee, and also was the father of Robert E. Lee, the Commander of the Confederate Army in the Civil War.

Major-General Henry Lee's funeral oration was rather long, so I won't try to post all of it in this thread. The paragraph that contained the famous line came near the end of the oration, and reads as follows:

First in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen, he was second to none in the humble and endearing scenes of private life. Pious, just, humane, temperate and sincere; uniform, dignified and commanding, his example was as edifying to all around him, as were the effects of that example lasting.

A new biography of Major General Henry Lee was recently released, and I hope to read it in the coming months.

The famous line you cited is from a funeral oration delivered by Major-General Henry Lee, on Dec. 26, 1799, before the Congress of the United States. At the time, Lee was a member of the House of Representatives, representing his area of Virginia. He had served under Gen. Washington in the Revolutionary War. He's more commonly known as Gen. Light-Horse Harry Lee, and also was the father of Robert E. Lee, the Commander of the Confederate Army in the Civil War.

Major-General Henry Lee's funeral oration was rather long, so I won't try to post all of it in this thread. The paragraph that contained the famous line came near the end of the oration, and reads as follows:

First in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen, he was second to none in the humble and endearing scenes of private life. Pious, just, humane, temperate and sincere; uniform, dignified and commanding, his example was as edifying to all around him, as were the effects of that example lasting.

A new biography of Major General Henry Lee was recently released, and I hope to read it in the coming months.

From a blog by David Boaz:
He gave up power not once but twice - at the end of the revolutionary war, when he resigned his military commission and returned to Mount Vernon, and again at the end of his second term as president, when he refused entreaties to seek a third term.

Give the last word to Washington’s great adversary, King George III. The king asked his American painter, Benjamin West, what Washington would do after winning independence. West replied, “They say he will return to his farm.”
“If he does that,” the incredulous monarch said, “he will be the greatest man in the world.”

He was the most amazing man to lead this nation as it formed, in war and in peace. Tough to start at the top and work your way down, for us that is.

Pres. Washington did so many amazing things during the war, bullet holes through his coat but never him. Horses shot from underneath him, he rose unscathed. He was spared for us, thankfully so. His influence, the trust of the people in him and his lack of ambition for power are such admirable traits. The perfect man at the perfect time. We were blessed.

Last edited:
He was the most amazing man to lead this nation as it formed, in war and in peace. Tough to start at the top and work your way down, for us that is.

Pres. Washington did so many amaining things during the war, bullet holes through his coat but never him. Horses shot from underneath him, he rose unscathed. He was spared for us, thankfully so. His influence, the trust of the people in him and his lack of ambition for power are such admirable traits. The perfect man at the perfect time. We were blessed.

Well said, Carl.

If you've never been to the Hall of Statues at Independence Hall in Philly, you need to go. They have accurate life-sized statues of all the signers of the Constitution. What will you impress you is the size of Washington for his time. He was a head taller then the rest and a barrel chested, muscular man. Just his size had to be intimidating to most.

If you've never been to the Hall of Statues at Independence Hall in Philly, you need to go. They have accurate life-sized statues of all the signers of the Constitution.

Hall of Statues at Independence Hall???

I think you're referencing Signers' Hall, at the National Constitution Center (NCC). The NCC is located at the end of Independence Mall, at the other end of the mall from Independence Hall.

Hall of Statues at Independence Hall???

I think you're referencing Signers' Hall, at the National Constitution Center (NCC). The NCC is located at the end of Independence Mall, at the other end of the mall from Independence Hall.
---
Hey, at least I was in the neighborhood. Been 15 yrs since I was there.

Thanks for clarification.

The infamous line you cited is from a funeral oration delivered by Major-General Henry Lee, on Dec. 26, 1799, before the Congress of the United States. At the time, Lee was a member of the House of Representatives, representing his area of Virginia. He had served under Gen. Washington in the Revolutionary War. He's more commonly known as Gen. Light-Horse Harry Lee, and also was the father of Robert E. Lee, the Commander of the Confederate Army in the Civil War.

Major-General Henry Lee's funeral oration was rather long, so I won't try to post all of it in this thread. The paragraph that contained the infamous line came near the end of the oration, and reads as follows:

Am I missing something? What makes that line infamous?

I just completed reading a new Washington book "Young Washington" by Peter Stark. It covers the years 1754 thru 1758, his years in the wilderness, first as a messenger to the French for Virginia Governor Dinwiddie thru the campaign under Forbes that reached the smoldering ruins of Fort Duquesne.
Washington was rather impetuous, vain and querulous in his youth, but learned from mistakes to mature into the great military leader that secured our independence. A good read for anyone interested in this part of our history.

Believe it or not, on researching my ancestry for a SAR membership I discovered a predecessor who allegedly did survey work with G. Washington in his early years. The same man fought in the F&I wars and the Revolutionary War. His only association with the future president was the surveying gig. Whether true or not I cannot prove but it sure is a nice memory, correct or not.

I just completed reading a new Washington book "Young Washington" by Peter Stark. It covers the years 1754 thru 1758, his years in the wilderness, first as a messenger to the French for Virginia Governor Dinwiddie thru the campaign under Forbes that reached the smoldering ruins of Fort Duquesne.
Washington was rather impetuous, vain and querulous in his youth, but learned from mistakes to mature into the great military leader that secured our independence. A good read for anyone interested in this part of our history.
Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I see that you made the same post on the LAIR. How many replies do you think you will receive before Washington is called a Nitter Troll?
It was similar and I only did it because no one there mentioned it. They should. Washington spent time in Pittsburgh. I spend a bit of time over there at the urging of my wife a Pitt grad, and a good friend of mine who is a Pitt law grad. So far I've been tolerated, even though I've mentioned my Penn State connection. Their board has a much smaller following than this one and you quickly learn what will not be tolerated. The female anatomy, which is a big deal here, never appears there. Politics are generally out as well. It's a very narrow focus.

Reactions: Thomas1945
It was similar and I only did it because no one there mentioned it. They should. Washington spent time in Pittsburgh. I spend a bit of time over there at the urging of my wife a Pitt grad, and a good friend of mine who is a Pitt law grad. So far I've been tolerated, even though I've mentioned my Penn State connection. Their board has a much smaller following than this one and you quickly learn what will not be tolerated. The female anatomy, which is a big deal here, never appears there.

Mt. Washington in Pittsburgh named after our first President? Not sure which is the better view from Mt. Washington, day or night.

1000px-Pittsburgh_skyline_panorama_daytime.jpg

1000px-Pittsburgh_skyline_panorama_at_night.jpg

Reactions: fairgambit
Mt. Washington in Pittsburgh named after our first President? Not sure which is the better view from Mt. Washington, day or night.

Indeed Mt. Washington was named for George. It is a terrific view and I love eating up there at night and watching the city sparkle.

Reactions: royboy
I took my family to Mount Vernon last weekend. We were lucky that they had George and Martha Washington impersonators taking question and answers . I highly recommend anyone to visit, whether they have an interest in history or not.

I took my family to Mount Vernon last weekend. We were lucky that they had George and Martha Washington impersonators taking question and answers . I highly recommend anyone to visit, whether they have an interest in history or not.

It's a terrific place and many may not know that Mount Vernon receives no government funding. It is preserved by a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization which relies solely upon patriotic individuals, foundations, and corporations to help preserve George Washington’s home and to educate visitors from all over the world.
If anyone is interested in learning more about Mt. Vernon's preservation, you can find it here. https://www.mountvernon.org/preservation/

Mount-Vernon.jpg

It was similar and I only did it because no one there mentioned it. They should. Washington spent time in Pittsburgh. I spend a bit of time over there at the urging of my wife a Pitt grad, and a good friend of mine who is a Pitt law grad. So far I've been tolerated, even though I've mentioned my Penn State connection. Their board has a much smaller following than this one and you quickly learn what will not be tolerated. The female anatomy, which is a big deal here, never appears there. Politics are generally out as well. It's a very narrow focus.
Apparently recognizing American History is outside the focus also. So far you have had 3 replies to your post and 1 is yours.

Read it as soon as possible, before our history is all re-written to the way it really happened!!!:( He will probably be made out to be a villain and a rascist.

FYI Another fantastic tour is to visit Montpelier in orange va.

Here is a view that matches the time period more closely...
PontiacsWar2.JPG

My favorite place to view the city of Pittsburgh is the West End Overlook. It is a beautiful little park and a great place to have a picnic lunch. I ALWAYS take out of town visitors (business, family, friends) up there for photos. Don’t miss this if you visit Pittsburgh. Just DON’T!
West_End_Overlook%2C_Pittsburgh%2C_PA.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT