ADVERTISEMENT

First date with your wife or girlfriend

First date with my ex-wife. I think we went to South Street Seaport in NYC (1986).

First date with my girlfriend was dinner at a restaurant in Princeton and later on we walked around campus. That was 10 years ago.

Met at a mutual friends New Years Eve party in 2004. Got a new year's kiss and her phone number. Called her three days later. She have me grief about playing games with the three day rule. I told her I was just hung over (I was) and wanted to be at my best. We set up a date for the next night - dinner and the go cart place. There was a strip club nearby which we stopped at. I got her a lap dance. It was a good night. Now we're coming up on our 10 year anniversary with a soon to be 9 year old daughter.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
In my first year of law school, I had 2 male roommates ... one a fellow first year law student, the other a guy doing his post-doc work in toxicology. After our last final exam of our first year, in the early afternoon, I headed back to the apartment with a couple law school buddies. We got off the (subway) train and walked to a nearby liquor store to pick up some (a lot of) beers, before we headed back to the apartment.

As we started to walk back with our beer in tow, my law school roommate gets off the next subway train, and has 3 girls with him. I had no idea he planned to bring anyone back to the apartment, but ... hey ... lucky timing. Somehow I had never met any of them before, even though they were all fellow law students (I'd seen a couple of them, but never met them).

Long story short, one of those girls was my future wife. After drinking for hours at the apartment, we all went out to the bars, and closed them down.

The crazy part about that story is that my post-doc roommate, who also had never met any of these girls before, ended up marrying one of the other girls my law school roommate brought home ... and the law school roommate completely struck out.

So I guess that was the "first date," as we instantly connected and pretty much hung out, attached at the hip for the whole night, even though we were partying with friends. Second date was dinner, a movie (still have the ticket stub - Addicted To Love - only went to that because the movie we wanted to go to didn't start at the right time), and "chill." Over two decades ago.

Last edited:
Me—.
Penguins game

pens vs Hurricanes

blind date

married going on 20 years 4 kids
Dinner at The Ruddy Duck and then to a Penguins game. My assistant at time had 1st row tickets at the Civic Arena - just one seat right of center ice towards the Pens bench...Mario and co...the glory years..buying those tickets and showing off those seats helped overcome my many shortcomings.

My date - now my wife of 24 years - ordered and ate a half cooked Prime Rib and knew as much about hockey as me...so I had a good feeling.

But it was the second date that really solidified our relationship. Without getting into all the details, I witnessed my best friend’s (from since we were both infants ourselves) 16 month old son get killed in a terrible car accident. My new gf, now wife, thought I had stood her up but I was with my friend and son at the hospital. That quickly led to long conversations about life with the new gf...which eventually led to engagement and marriage.

Blind date. My ex-girlfriend whom I was still crazy about set me up with a nurse co-worker. The blind date was terrible for her because all I did was talk about the ex all night. The next day, I had knee surgery. The blind date stopped by the recovery room to see how I did. I felt obligated to ask her out again. The second date was fantastic. We have been married 34 years.

Last edited:
This is a tough one. We started hanging out a lot before dating. On March 7th, 1998 (exactly two weeks after my father died) we went to dinner and a Lexington Thoroughblades hockey game. On the way to the game I asked her if we were dating. She didn’t answer me until after dinner and the game. Her answer was no. So, I continued hanging out with her but also brought a couple of other girls around. On May 5th she came with me to my softball game. After the game we hung out and she decided we were dating. 3 days later we drive to Chicago to see her sister in a choir competition. So I’m not sure which of those would count as the first date but it would be one of those.
Mine is a similar story with a twist. We were introduced by her boss, who was a friend of mine at church--he told me about her two days after she started working there, and we met a couple days later--and then I heard that her and her friends were going to a summer free play in one of our parks, so I met her down there. We were (and are) involved with our church but our main church as well as small group meetings conflicted, so we'd catch a few minutes here and there-but nothing official.

We finally got a free weekend, so I took her out to dinner--and we had a big fight on our first official date. It ended up not being a bad thing, as we learned that night how to work out such things by not going home angry--and you know, you really don't tend to get mad at someone you don't care about. We'll be married 28 years in September.

One thing I did fairly early on was introduce her to Penn State football--not because I expected her to like it (she was, after all, born and raised in Columbus) but so she would understand it was important to me. Fairly early on I took her up to State for a game (vs Syracuse) and I still have the Polaroid somewhere that was taken at the Cheese Cellar in Station Square on that trip (we stayed with friends in Squirrel Hill). She ended up becoming a big Penn State fan (she never liked the Buckeyes). On the flip side, she introduced me to elephants, and we've been a member of a nation elephant organization for over 20 years, with lots of fun experiences (for example, I've ridden an elephant bareback and dismounted by sliding down it's trunk).

First met as I was working the cash register at Sweetbriar GC in Avon Lake, OH. Bought her and friends beer as they waited to golf.
She called me the next night and asked me to Cleveland Indians tailgating and game. I was working.
Met up for some golf at the course and wings at Around the Corner in Lakewood.
@Obliviax - right there in your stomping grounds.

OL
If you have an AL conncetion, you likely know about my BIL's winery (Klingshirn)....

Reactions: OhioLion
Blind date. My ex-girlfriend whom I was still crazy about set me up with a nurse co-worker. The blind date was terrible for her because all I did was talk about the ex all night. The next day, I had knee surgery. The blind date stopped by the recovery room to see how I did. I felt obligated to ask her out again. The send date was fantastic. We have been married 34 years.
How is the knee?

I don’t know how smart I was...it was the only movie playing at the dollar theater and being a freshman in college, money was an obstacle.:)
I can remember one date in grad school where all I had was two rolls of nickles (I used to throw my change in a jar) as it was just before the end of the month when I got paid. That was enough for two movie tickets at the local dollar movie, a popcorn, and two Dr. Peppers. Fortunately, my then GF was able to borrow her folks car (as I had no wheels).

I can remember one date in grad school where all I had was two rolls of nickles (I used to throw my change in a jar) as it was just before the end of the month when I got paid. That was enough for two movie tickets at the local dollar movie, a popcorn, and two Dr. Peppers. Fortunately, my then GF was able to borrow her folks car (as I had no wheels).
You were a catch....hope she didn’t let you get away.:) I had a lot of those situations as well, fortunately they were all with the woman I ended up marrying, so it worked out.

You were a catch....hope she didn’t let you get away.:) I had a lot of those situations as well, fortunately they were all with the woman I ended up marrying, so it worked out.
She did--but we were both fairly young at the time (my first GF)--but meeting her led me to the church I still attend where I did meet my wife about 8 years later. So it worked out in the end.

Reactions: AWS1022
She did--but we were both fairly young at the time (my first GF)--but meeting her led me to the church I still attend where I did meet my wife about 8 years later. So it worked out in the end.
My buddy’s dad used to always tell us “you meet your dates in a bar, you meet your wife in a church.” Sounds like you listened.

Reactions: Sviatoslav
Went to the movie Hear No Evil, we were the only 2 people in the theater. In a few weeks, it'll be our 25th wedding anniversary and she is now a huge PSU fan!!

Our first date was during my first (and my future wife’s second) year in the PSU MBA program. We went to the Phyrst. I went undergrad to PSU as well, and it happened that many of my friends were back in town (Homecoming?) and they kept coming into the Phyrst all night so it appeared as if I knew everyone and was more popular than I actually was. I don’t know if that played any role as we were both “smitten” already, but it certainly helped make the evening fun and we had a lot of laughs. Still having laughs 39 years (37 of them married) later.

These are all great stories...thanks for sharing. I told my story in another thread last week so I won't bore you all here.

There is a movie named "sliding doors" where it explores the possibilities when a guy just makes it through the closing doors of a subway car. He makes it, runs into a girl, they hook up and get married. In the other he doesn't make it, never meets her and their lives take a different path. These all remind me of that movie.

Bowling. I had a group of friends from Coughlin HS in Wilkes-Barre that I hung around with and one of them was going with a girl from Meyers who had a friend who was supposed to be matched up with a different member of our gang. Somehow, she was matched up with me, Our first date was a double date at Stanton lanes on Stanton St.and the rest as they say is history. We all stayed friends through school and my one friend who was supposed to initially be matched up with her, was in my wedding.

Reactions: GoGoBanana
It's interesting to read about so many blind dates.
Mine was a bit of a blind date too. A friend asked if I would be interested in going on a double date with him, his girlfriend, and her girlfriend. I initially said no but eventually gave in, but only after seeing a photo.

First date was Spring '74. Went to a movie. But first, went over to Penn State Berks to watch the highlights from the '73 football season. No lie.

I met my now wife initially at a local golf course, as she was working there (my uncle and cousins dragged me there as I was their 4th). I happened to be wearing a PSU hat that day, and her and I got to talking (we're both PSU grads). We exchanged phone numbers and talked for a few weeks before we had our first date. I'll never forget it. It was September 21st, 2013 (PSU played Kent State in a monsoon, Akeel Lynch and Zach Zwinak had huge games). We were supposed to go mini golfing, but it was absolutely pouring! We walk into the mini golf place and were told that they were closed due to the weather. We both thought, well what now? So she hops into my car, we listen to the rest of the game on the radio and figure out a game plan. I realize that she is every bit the crazed fan that I am, and think to myself I better not screw this up! We decide to head to a local bar/restaurant, order some food, a few beers, and watch some games before we decide to go bowling. On the way to bowl, she realizes she has no socks on, so we had to stop at a Dollar General on the way. There, we find a three pack of fluorescent colored socks. Her stipulation is that I have to wear a pair as well while we're bowling, so of course I oblige. While bowling, the owner and his wife come over to us and ask us how long we've been a couple. We tell them this is actually our first date, and the owners tell us that it seems as if we have known each forever. One thing led to another, and five years to the day of our first date, we were married. Every day I wake up next to her, I feel like I hit the lottery! Her only "flaw" is that she is a better golfer than me (she played at PSU), but I'm willing to work past that!

Mine is a similar story with a twist. We were introduced by her boss, who was a friend of mine at church--he told me about her two days after she started working there, and we met a couple days later--and then I heard that her and her friends were going to a summer free play in one of our parks, so I met her down there. We were (and are) involved with our church but our main church as well as small group meetings conflicted, so we'd catch a few minutes here and there-but nothing official.

We finally got a free weekend, so I took her out to dinner--and we had a big fight on our first official date. It ended up not being a bad thing, as we learned that night how to work out such things by not going home angry--and you know, you really don't tend to get mad at someone you don't care about. We'll be married 28 years in September.

One thing I did fairly early on was introduce her to Penn State football--not because I expected her to like it (she was, after all, born and raised in Columbus) but so she would understand it was important to me. Fairly early on I took her up to State for a game (vs Syracuse) and I still have the Polaroid somewhere that was taken at the Cheese Cellar in Station Square on that trip (we stayed with friends in Squirrel Hill). She ended up becoming a big Penn State fan (she never liked the Buckeyes). On the flip side, she introduced me to elephants, and we've been a member of a nation elephant organization for over 20 years, with lots of fun experiences (for example, I've ridden an elephant bareback and dismounted by sliding down it's trunk).
Out story actually goes deeper then I went into. We met while being full time volunteers at a Christian mission program. My brother had volunteered there 6 years before I did and did so with my wife’s sister. I only planned on volunteering one summer at a camp where my now sister in law was the director when my life was at a crossroads. After doing that summer I decided to commit to the program for a full year (which later became two years plus another summer). There were an awful lot of things that lined up for my wife and I to get together and even at that, neither of us were impressed with the other when we first met.

Out story actually goes deeper then I went into. We met while being full time volunteers at a Christian mission program. My brother had volunteered there 6 years before I did and did so with my wife’s sister. I only planned on volunteering one summer at a camp where my now sister in law was the director when my life was at a crossroads. After doing that summer I decided to commit to the program for a full year (which later became two years plus another summer). There were an awful lot of things that lined up for my wife and I to get together and even at that, neither of us were impressed with the other when we first met.
The "Perspectives" mission class is part of our story, so we have a missions aspect as well--one of the first things we did together was when she was making dinner (lasagna, of course, as she is Italian) for Ralph Winter before class. I'd already taken it, but alums are allowed to come to any class and sit in, so I came up for dinner and hung out after.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
My employer was her employer’s biggest customer
Her employer celebrated their 90th year in business as part of a large local convention (American Iron & Steel Engineers)
I won the raffle for 4 Steelers’ tickets
She handed them to me and looked and smelt wonderful
I invited her to the Steelers’ game and she accepted
We met in town and drove to the game together to meet my best friend and wife who had a tailgate spot
I introduced her to my best friend and his wife (also a lifelong friend) as Donna
Donna is not my wife’s name
This was 1989
We dated until 1997
Then got married (in a helicopter overlooking the Vegas strip)
I overcame adversity!
Still going strong! ;)

You forgot to add the part about watching the Three Stooges.

I might have been there on south Street as well.

It was a Friday in May 1982. Don't remember which one exactly. We both belonged to the same racquet club and hung around as a group so the move I made in the bar wasn't completely out of the blue. The bar was a place called O'Briens near Suburban Station in Center City.

It was a Friday in May 1982. Don't remember which one exactly. We both belonged to the same racquet club and hung around as a group so the move I made in the bar wasn't completely out of the blue. The bar was a place called O'Briens near Suburban Station in Center City.
The summers of 82, 83, & 84 we were regulars for late nights at the clubs in the city and always found our way to Jim's for a steak with.

Reactions: LionJim
1992 Sugar Bowl New Year's Eve Media party at the Hilton. Blind date. Were married the following October. I converted her from a somewhat ND fan to A Penn State fan.

The summers of 82, 83, & 84 we were regulars for late nights at the clubs in the city and always found our way to Jim's for a steak with.

It was June 80 to June 82 for me. Very likely, we were in JIm's together some Fri/Sat night in 82.

Last edited:
Took my now wife to see Gin Blossoms, Spin Doctors, and Kracker at the Lakewood Amphitheater in Atlanta in October of ‘94.

We met at a bar. First date was to Neon Goose restaurant in Omaha. Three adult children. Just celebrated our 33rd anniversary last Friday, June 12th.

Our first date was during my first (and my future wife’s second) year in the PSU MBA program. We went to the Phyrst. I went undergrad to PSU as well, and it happened that many of my friends were back in town (Homecoming?) and they kept coming into the Phyrst all night so it appeared as if I knew everyone and was more popular than I actually was. I don’t know if that played any role as we were both “smitten” already, but it certainly helped make the evening fun and we had a lot of laughs. Still having laughs 39 years (37 of them married) later.

what class are you? I was 83 and my twin brother was 84 ...

Blind date at Eno wine bar in Atlanta. We were set up by a girl I went to church with and dated briefly. A glass of wine turned in to more wine and dinner, during which I figured out we had met 17 years earlier through business but never crossed paths again until our blind date. We were married a little over a year later. My friend who set us up was so excited, because it was the first time one of her "set ups" had ever worked out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT