ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Offensive struggles vs. Northwestern

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
PSU OFFENSE vs. NW FILM STUDY

See Link. Thought this was pretty fair. The most encouraging segment of the video IMO was after the false start that made 4th down and 1 4th down and 6, Allar moved off his initial read and hit the dig to Cephas for 15ish yards to move the chains. Codutti said something along the lines that when Allar is pressed and HAS no choice but to make a dynamic play, he does it. I just can't understand why he doesn't display that same mindset on standard downs. He seems content taking the lowest hanging fruit most plays, which is like having a Ferrari and always driving 10 miles per hour below the speed limit. I don't know, it's frustrating.

Thanks for sharing. Good breakdown in the video. Very insightful

It does seem like Allar's internal clock is a bit too fast. He is very focused on getting the ball out early. On a few occasions, the protection was good enough he could have held the ball a bit longer and given a receiver a bit more time to create downfield separation. This might contribute to why he hasn't hit many big throws downfield

Perhaps this tendency will pay dividends against teams with a better pass rush.

Reactions: psu00
PSU OFFENSE vs. NW FILM STUDY

See Link. Thought this was pretty fair. The most encouraging segment of the video IMO was after the false start that made 4th down and 1 4th down and 6, Allar moved off his initial read and hit the dig to Cephas for 15ish yards to move the chains. Codutti said something along the lines that when Allar is pressed and HAS no choice but to make a dynamic play, he does it. I just can't understand why he doesn't display that same mindset on standard downs. He seems content taking the lowest hanging fruit most plays, which is like having a Ferrari and always driving 10 miles per hour below the speed limit. I don't know, it's frustrating.
Looks like he has Clifford disease….always over throwing in first half.

As for the low hanging fruit issue. Two possibilities. He is very aware of limiting turnovers. Turnovers cost games. Coaches always preach turnovers. And as a young QB with only one receiver that he has any game time with he is being very cautious. Time will gain confidence.

The other is the ‘take what the defense gives you’ plan. Get the sure five yards. Stay ahead of the chains. Don’t be greedy.

I wish they would throw a few more deep balls just to back up the d backs. Singleton wide on one side, that walkon with the 4.3 speed on the other, both on fly patterns. Better, put them together wide and have on ona fly, the other on a post and see how they cover both. Show off that arm, throw it 60 yards and scare the bejeebers out of them.

But we all know they are just saving all that for real games against the B2G boys…..right?😉

I had really hoped that the light would go on for Caeden.....but he does seem limited. He still gets beat by speed rushers.....Drew's quick throws are limiting sacks but pressure from the right side of the OL seems much more of a problem. Thought that Caeden would be a better run blocker but even there it does not seem any better...... Have not watched Shelton as closely....he does seem quicker, not sure about power run blocking.

So Caeden Wallace is a liability essentially. I watched two run plays where he just doesn’t do his assignment. Why is he still on the field?
That’s an excellent question. He’s supposed to have talent and I kept hearing during the offseason that he improved, yet week after week he keeps blowing his assignments. I don’t see how you can keep playing him. This certainly is a recipe for disaster against OSU and Michigan.

I had really hoped that the light would go on for Caeden.....but he does seem limited. He still gets beat by speed rushers.....Drew's quick throws are limiting sacks but pressure from the right side of the OL seems much more of a problem. Thought that Caeden would be a better run blocker but even there it does not seem any better...... Have not watched Shelton as closely....he does seem quicker, not sure about power run blocking.
I haven’t watched Shelton closely either but I would take someone who is a good pass blocker and doesn’t blow assignments.

Because JF loves his guys with experience and those who he just 'likes' in general. Go back to Effner too....who when matched up against OSU and Mich, really struggled. Caedan being a multi year starter has been brutal and no better...despite what JF tells the media every preseason. Do you think he would sniff the two-deep at Michigan? That is the comparison we have to make since Mich, and OSU, are the flag bearers in this conference.

What is even more disappointing is how many top-tier, high star OL we bring in each class, and yet the position is still an annual question mark. If Bryce and CW truly have been the best options at Tackle these several yrs, a crucial position, then it will be difficult to reach that next level. Secondly, Phil T should be on the clock.

Last edited:

As for the low hanging fruit issue. Two possibilities. He is very aware of limiting turnovers. Turnovers cost games. Coaches always preach turnovers. And as a young QB with only one receiver that he has any game time with he is being very cautious. Time will gain confidence.

The other is the ‘take what the defense gives you’ plan. Get the sure five yards. Stay ahead of the chains. Don’t be greedy.

I wish they would throw a few more deep balls just to back up the d backs. Singleton wide on one side, that walkon with the 4.3 speed on the other, both on fly patterns. Better, put them together wide and have on ona fly, the other on a post and see how they cover both. Show off that arm, throw it 60 yards and scare the bejeebers out of them.

But we all know they are just saving all that for real games against the B2G boys…..right?😉
Pretty much the play call when (Justin?) King arrived as a freshman corner who was added to the offense for consistent straight ahead deep balls....we'll see with time. I assume his mind, while focusing on the current opponent has his mind on OSU and Michigan, and the games with these two last year.

Good post.

We also have to know were are scoring at a high rate so are we trying to fix what isn’t broken? Secondly, with this defense, the only way we’d have lost to these teams is from turnovers. Complimentary football. It will be different when we play the big boys

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT