ADVERTISEMENT

Feral hogs! Choot'em Lizbeth! Choot'em! Your experience with these pesky critters??

TheGLOV

Gold Member

Feral hogs: A four-footed plague​

Mark Bailey
Sat, November 6, 2021, 4:01 AM·3 min read

f50c7fb7c7e49803381d3f19b8aa8c84

Feral hogs are a significant problem that plague the entire state of Florida. They cause millions in damage to Florida crops annually and inflict terrible ecological damage. Feral hogs are not limited to rural areas and will invade anywhere they can access. Wild populations of feral hogs are descended from domestic animals that escaped from captivity. Feral hogs were first introduced to the Southeast by Spanish explorers as far back as the 16th century. European wild boars were introduced much later for hunting purposes. Once escaping, they interbred with already present feral pigs to create the animals we have today.
Feral hogs are invasive animals that are responsible for serious damage to agricultural crops, native vegetation and wildlife. A group of hogs is called a “sounder” and are most active at night. They commonly range between 100 and 500 pounds, with some becoming far larger. They spread quickly due to their ability to reproduce and survive easily in the wild. They are capable of breeding as young as 6 months old. Hogs may have multiple litters per year with each litter containing up to a dozen piglets.

The primary economic damage they cause includes rooting up agricultural fields, food plots and tree seedlings, as well as carrying diseases that can be transmitted to domestic animals and humans. Their rooting activity in the ground creates large holes in fields or dirt paths which impedes movement of vehicles and equipment. Feral hogs are also known to root through lawns and garden beds, causing severe destruction. Feral hogs also strongly compete with native species such as deer and turkey for food and territory. Pigs are omnivores, meaning they consume a variety of vegetation, insects, reptiles, eggs, and small mammals such as deer fawns. Feral hogs are known to be a serious threat to ground nesting birds' eggs and even to sea turtle nests of coastal regions.
- ADVERTISEMENT -

Feral hogs carry many diseases, like brucellosis, pseudorabies and trichinosis that can be transmitted to domestic animals and humans. If transmitted to hogs on a hog farm, the infected animals would need to be destroyed, creating losses for the farmer. Hogs will also wallow in creeks, creating muddy, contaminated water, causing harm for aquatic fauna inhabiting creeks and streams.
Methods for controlling feral hogs include fencing, live trapping and hunting. However, these methods are often individually ineffective because of the hogs’ intelligence and rapid ability to reproduce. Hunting hogs with firearms and dogs is another method of control. Since feral hogs are a non-native species, there is no closed season, bag or size limit when hunting on private property. Live trapping may be the most effective method of curtailing hogs because an entire sounder may be trapped and killed. Traps are typically large open cages that are constructed on site with a guillotine style door that can drop down. Corn-based baits are often effective for attracting and trapping hogs, though it can take time for the hogs to be comfortable enough to enter the traps.
The nation’s hog population is increasing every year and they are spreading into states where they have never been before. The best method of controlling feral hogs is to prevent them from being introduced to your property. If feral hogs do appear, they should be aggressively trapped and hunted in every legal way possible.
For more information call the Marion County Extension Office at 352-671-8400 or email ironhill@ufl.edu
— Mark Bailey is the Sustainable Agriculture & Food Systems Extension Agent for UF/IFAS Extension Marion County. For more information, contact the Marion County office, (352) 671-8400. The Extension Service is located at 2232 NE Jacksonville Road, Ocala, FL 34470.
This article originally appeared on The Gainesville Sun: Mark Bailey: Feral hogs - A four-footed plague

I've made several trips to Texas to bowhunt them. Very neat! Recurve... homemade wooden arrows...

I also went to El Paso twice last year (Hueco Mountains) to get my first javelina. One of the neatest experiences of my life. I love South Texas, the Hill Country, and the far west desert mountains.

Btw - put off by the helicopter shooting (not hunting).

Last edited:
I've made several trips to Texas to bowhunt them. Very neat! Recurve... homemade wooden arrows...

I also went to El Paso twice last year (Hueco Mountains) to get my first javelina. One of the neatest experiences of my life. I love South Texas, the Hill Country, and the far west desert mountains.

They are not here for your recreational hunting enjoyment. So there's that.

Yeah, it’s about killing as many hogs as possible to limit damage.

Yeah, it’s about killing as many hogs as possible to limit damage.
I get that. Outfitters offer it for clients. I guess it's for somebody else, just not me. A wild hog, in my opinion, deserves more respect.
When I harvest a hog, I eat the meat, make a skull mount, sometimes tan the hide, mount the feet as a bow holder, etc.

Last edited:
There are a shiat ton of feral hogs throughout Florida, Texas, and the American southeast. Just go in any bar there, and you are bound to encounter a number of them, of both genders.

• Haha
Reactions: PSJimbo and TheGLOV
There are a shiat ton of feral hogs throughout Florida, Texas, and the American southeast. Just go in any bar there, and you are bound to encounter a number of them, of both genders.

Yep. But there are tons of invasive central/south Americans species in CA. you will find them all over farmers fields, kitchens in restaurants and they even have the ability to climb ladders. Sadly they are all over the place in CA and the southwest. They even tried building a fence to keep them out. They seem to the the ability to adapt to northern climates as the plague is pushing north

These are feral hogs, progeny of domesticated stock that got free. Amazimg how quickly they revert to a near wild state. Their bodies change dramatically in just a couple generations.

Has anyone ever eaten these wild pigs? Do they require a different preparation since they are probably very lean compared to farm raised hogs.

I live and hike in Florida and have run across them a couple of times. On one occasion the hog scared the crap out of me….I thought it might charge/attack so I quickly walked away and it did not. On the other occasions they seem to fear people and ran away at first sight. They do cause a lot of damage, once they start rooting in an area the damage is devastating.

I hunted them w a guide behind dogs one time in Tennessee. I got the most scarred-up looking brown boar... He was built like a wolf and had a head like one too. Missing half an ear... scars on his face. Got him with a 1960s Ben Pearson Colt recurve and a homemade wooden arrow.

Later that day, out walking w one hound, I got chased by a bona fide 300 pounder. I ran and lost my new hat... hound got in between us.

Down in south Texas brush country, I've seen 250-300 pounders in the evening and then had them growling at me as I sneaked back to camp in the dark. No "oink oink". They growled like German Shepherds.

Poor man's grizzly.

A former coworker and his buddies went hunting in Oklahoma for wild boar. They brought several coolers of meat home. It was pretty tasty. Some of them looked about the size of rhinos in the pics the took.

The meat is very good if they are feeding on crops. I was hunting deer and hogs in S.C. two weeks ago and shot three hogs, average weight was around 170 pounds per hog. All were head shot from a tree stand which saves the meat and drops them right in place so no dangerous tracking a wounded boar.

Well I'll tell you what. I'd rather encounter feral hogs than you. For your sake. $hit for brains. Thank you and have a great day!

Well I'll tell you what. I'd rather encounter feral hogs than you. For your sake. $hit for brains. Thank you and have a great day!
As compared to the beautiful people of the West Coast with head to toe tattoos, pins and holes all over the body, weird colored hair, and who knows what.......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT