ADVERTISEMENT

Feelings on Derrick Davis commit announcement tomorrow (11/7)

Kiber

Jan 23, 2010
This guy is a big-timer, top 100 national player, right here in PA and announcing tomorrow (11/7). Do not see much talk a bout it one way or the other...... Gut feelings???

IMO, this is a guy we HAVE to get. Same high school from where Terry Smith coached. Terry Smith still has a ton of ties to Gateway. And I believe Terry Smith has been recruiting him since he's been in like 9th grade. To have another school (IE - Ohio St) come in and steal him away would not be good.

He’s headed to the school which had been considered the dark horse, LSU. He was blown away by 2 things you don’t really here...LSU’s academics & how nice Baton Rouge is. Having been there, I can confirm, it’s a dump.

Been to LSU several times. Super fun place to see a game. Highly recommend any college football fan to add a Saturday night game at Death Valley to your bucket-list. And for some strange reason, the LSU fans really like Penn State. Both times I attended games at LSU, I sported my Penn State "colors" and I was treated like royalty at their tailgates. Offered many free drinks & free food. They loved the idea of a Penn State guy joining their tailgate........ Anyhow, YES. To your point. As fun as a Saturday night game is, overall LSU is a dump. Baton Rouge is a dump. If you are from that area, I guess it's "home". But if you are not from that area, I do not get the attraction. Dirty, smelly, run down, industrial....

Been to LSU several times. Super fun place to see a game. Highly recommend any college football fan to add a Saturday night game at Death Valley to your bucket-list. And for some strange reason, the LSU fans really like Penn State. Both times I attended games at LSU, I sported my Penn State "colors" and I was treated like royalty at their tailgates. Offered many free drinks & free food. They loved the idea of a Penn State guy joining their tailgate........ Anyhow, YES. To your point. As fun as a Saturday night game is, overall LSU is a dump. Baton Rouge is a dump. If you are from that area, I guess it's "home". But if you are not from that area, I do not get the attraction. Dirty, smelly, run down, industrial....

The kid is from Western Pa not Beverly Hills. Doubt that the smell and duet play much into his decision making. Much like the other recruiting classes by LSU werent all that affected by it. 🙄

Reactions: TheGLOV
The kid is from Western Pa not Beverly Hills. Doubt that the smell and duet play much into his decision making. Much like the other recruiting classes by LSU werent all that affected by it. 🙄

To each their own and beauty is in the eye of the beholder..... I get why a kid would want top play down south & in the SEC. And many of the campuses are beautiful, and nice warm weather. Personally, of all the SEC/Southern campuses & towns I have been to, I'd easily rank LSU/Baton Rouge dead last...... of course, I have never been to Miss St/Starkville either.

This guy is a big-timer, top 100 national player, right here in PA and announcing tomorrow (11/7). Do not see much talk a bout it one way or the other...... Gut feelings???

IMO, this is a guy we HAVE to get. Same high school from where Terry Smith coached. Terry Smith still has a ton of ties to Gateway. And I believe Terry Smith has been recruiting him since he's been in like 9th grade. To have another school (IE - Ohio St) come in and steal him away would not be good.

There is not much talk about it because I think the morale of a large number of fans is really low at this point. An 0-2 start on the heels of a bunch of other recent recruiting losses in the current class has a lot of people resigned to expect bad news and interest is waning. It’s the opposite of enthusiasm when things are going well. Overall, It ain’t good ☹️.

Audrey Snyder met with him a week ago and she basically said she got no vibes of him picking Penn St. She said maybe she’s not good at reading people but after her interview with him that’s what she got from him. This downward spiral in recruiting this year just sucks. And Franklin didn’t do himself any favours with his comments about the class of 2021 and their misses.

Last edited:

Too much is made here about where Terry Smith went to school and his ties to Gateway. I’m sure the kid loves Terry and all that but is that really the defining factor here? I bet he has great relationships with his other recruiters too

Reactions: psu2016
Audrey Snyder met with him a week ago and she basically said she got no vibes of him picking Penn St. She said maybe she’s not good at reading people but after her interview with him that’s what she got from him. This downward spiral in recruiting this year just sucks. And Franklin didn’t do himself any favours with his comments about the class of 2021 and who their misses.

Based on an in-person interview Audrey conducted with Nolan Rucci just a few weeks before he announced, Audrey predicted that Rucci was going to pick Penn State, so she does have a history of not being able to "read people". As of now, none of the insiders have any idea of where Davis is going, which is why all of the crystal balls and future casts are months old. However, insiders have said this week/last week that their gut is telling them that Davis will pick Ohio State. As a previous poster said, the crystal balls and future casts will start to move today.

Reactions: KCLion
Audrey Snyder met with him a week ago and she basically said she got no vibes of him picking Penn St. She said maybe she’s not good at reading people but after her interview with him that’s what she got from him. This downward spiral in recruiting this year just sucks. And Franklin didn’t do himself any favours with his comments about the class of 2021 and who their misses.
I have no idea what the young man is going to do but Audrey Snyder? She wouldn't get a vibe during a 8.0 earthquake. Just another stooge from the Athletic.

Last edited:
Reactions: N&B4PSU

I missed these comments. What comments did Franklin make about the '21 class???

He gave an interview a few weeks ago and said that the Staff has not performed up to its expectations for the 2021 recruiting class and has missed on a number of their top targets. However, Franklin, Bowen, and Smith have said subsequent to that interview that several of their top targets are still on the board and they feel they will finish the 2021 recruiting class strong. Whatever that means.

Based on an in-person interview Audrey conducted with Nolan Rucci just a few weeks before he announced, Audrey predicted that Rucci was going to pick Penn State, so she does have a history of not being able to "read people". As of now, none of the insiders have any idea of where Davis is going, which is why all of the crystal balls and future casts are months old. However, insiders have said this week/last week that their gut is telling them that Davis will pick Ohio State. As a previous poster said, the crystal balls and future casts will start to move today.
Fwiw, as fun and diverse as this board may be, it is the last place someone would go for "up to date" info about the psu football program. Journey Brown is the most recent example. It was well known elsewhere that he was probably going to miss the year, the reason why, along with the source of this info several days before the topic was raised here. Yet, once those rumors hit this board, several people on this board were incredulous that those stories could be true.

So, regarding the topic of this thread. It appears highly unlikely this kid is going to choose either PSU or OSU, so you can try guessing from that point of view where he chooses.

Reactions: BarkleyPSU1
He gave an interview a few weeks ago and said that the Staff has not performed up to its expectations for the 2021 recruiting class and has missed on a number of their top targets. However, Franklin, Bowen, and Smith have said subsequent to that interview that several of their top targets are still on the board and they feel they will finish the 2021 recruiting class strong. Whatever that means.
He also, in that same interview, said that this class “is not good enough”....what does that say about the verbals they have? how would you feel if you were one of the members of this class?

Fwiw, as fun and diverse as this board may be, it is the last place someone would go for "up to date" info about the psu football program. Journey Brown is the most recent example. It was well known elsewhere that he was probably going to miss the year, the reason why, along with the source of this info several days before the topic was raised here. Yet, once those rumors hit this board, several people on this board were incredulous that those stories could be true.

So, regarding the topic of this thread. It appears highly unlikely this kid is going to choose either PSU or OSU, so you can try guessing from that point of view where he chooses.

I agree with you, which is why I have said in the past that the Penn State Insiders don't have much "inside" information on the Penn State football program. I was chastized on this board a week or two ago when I said that I follow the Ohio State and Michigan Insiders in order to gain information on Penn State football recruits because I find that the Ohio State and Michigan Insiders have more "inside" information than the Penn State Insiders.

I find it hard to believe that Davis chooses LSU, since his father did not accompany him on the trip, and his father is seems to be the one giving the interviews on behalf of the family. In addition, he only went to LSU one time vs. a dozen times for both PSU and OSU. But if Penn State does not land Davis, then I hope he goes to LSU over OSU.

He also, in that same interview, said that this class “is not good enough”....what does that say about the verbals they have? how would you feel if you were one of the members of this class?
Franklin is just using that Psychology degree. If they don’t perform like 5* consensus All Americans beginning with next season’s opening kickoff, some posters will roast them alive. He’s just trying to toughen them up.

I was chastized on this board a week or two ago when I said that I follow the Ohio State and Michigan Insiders in order to gain information on Penn State football recruits because I find that the Ohio State and Michigan Insiders have more "inside" information than the Penn State Insiders.

That is just unbelieveable...yet I believe it. What a sin. Does this happen at any other schools?

Audrey Snyder met with him a week ago and she basically said she got no vibes of him picking Penn St. She said maybe she’s not good at reading people but after her interview with him that’s what she got from him. This downward spiral in recruiting this year just sucks. And Franklin didn’t do himself any favours with his comments about the class of 2021 and their misses.

Want comments about 2021? Cause all I heard him say is that he (Franklin) felt that he and the staff did not do a good job. Which is true.
How is that "dissing" any of the kids...if that is what you are implying.

Reactions: Chris92
That is just unbelieveable...yet I believe it. What a sin. Does this happen at any other schools?
Well if you’re looking for the Gold Standard of college football boards regarding intelligent discussion, accurate information and opinions, you may want to consider the Lair, the Pitt board. Many people consider it the Oracle of Delphi for all aspects of, well just about everything.

Want comments about 2021? Cause all I heard him say is that he (Franklin) felt that he and the staff did not do a good job. Which is true.
How is that "dissing" any of the kids...if that is what you are implying.
Maybe I’m overreacting but I think he could’ve said something like, “I feel great about the kids we’ve signed, but we got to do a better job of closing on more of our targets.” Or something along those lines...

Here was some of his actual comments.
“We have not recruited up to the standard that we normally have, and I can make excuses, I can come up with a lot of reasons for that, but we haven’t gotten it done the way we normally have gotten it done.”

Well, over on TOS -- (where they actually do talk a bit about recruiting and not types of grilled cheese sandwiches) -- they have an article up about Davis. I kind of like this quote from his dad:

“Someone that can help him mature as a person, as an athlete and prepare him for the next level in all aspects of life,” Davis’s dad said of what they were looking for in a school. “Not just football but also as a man, but it helps that they’re getting him prepared for life at least having the opportunity to pursue a dream in the NFL.”

From what I understand Terry Smith is pretty close with their family. And Franklin has always been characterized similar to what Mr. Davis is saying in this quote........ IMO, based on this quote, I'd be shocked if it were LSU.

Reactions: grinagrin
Well, over on TOS -- (where they actually do talk a bit about recruiting and not types of grilled cheese sandwiches) -- they have an article up about Davis. I kind of like this quote from his dad:

“Someone that can help him mature as a person, as an athlete and prepare him for the next level in all aspects of life,” Davis’s dad said of what they were looking for in a school. “Not just football but also as a man, but it helps that they’re getting him prepared for life at least having the opportunity to pursue a dream in the NFL.”

From what I understand Terry Smith is pretty close with their family. And Franklin has always been characterized similar to what Mr. Davis is saying in this quote........ IMO, based on this quote, I'd be shocked if it were LSU.
That’s a rather narrow minded attitude. Once Davis commits either here or somewhere else, that saga ends. We may have to wait months for the next high profile selection drama. Whereas many people enjoy grilled cheese sandwiches several times a week. While you may not be amused, several of us are quite interested in discussing the various options available to us with respect to grilled cheese 🥪. Actually I believe that the majority of the board members are capable of discussing both.

With that said, agonizing over where Mr. Davis ultimately decides to ply his talents is much more soothing when one is able to do so while eating a grilled cheese sandwich prepared to one’s liking.

Is Journey Brown not playing? 🤪

Reactions: Obliviax
That’s a rather narrow minded attitude. Once Davis commits either here or somewhere else, that saga ends. We may have to wait months for the next high profile selection drama. Whereas many people enjoy grilled cheese sandwiches several times a week. While you may not be amused, several of us are quite interested in discussing the various options available to us with respect to grilled cheese 🥪. Actually I believe that the majority of the board members are capable of discussing both.

With that said, agonizing over where Mr. Davis ultimately decides to ply his talents is much more soothing when one is able to do so while eating a grilled cheese sandwich prepared to one’s liking.

I love food myself. There are actually sites to discuss restaurants and food. Message board sites for "foodies". I visit one myself. When I visit a "foodie" message board site, or a site that specializes in local dining places, I do not start a discussion about college football / college football recruiting.

Is Journey Brown not playing? 🤪
tumblr_n5q90fWp5U1s2wio8o1_500.gif

Reactions: Woodpecker
I love food myself. There are actually sites to discuss restaurants and food. Message board sites for "foodies". I visit one myself. When I visit a "foodie" message board site, or a site that specializes in local dining places, I do not start a discussion about college football / college football recruiting.
Guess what, of the 40 or so threads on the first page of this board 21 threads have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with COLLEGE FOOTBALL. You better kick that purity crusade of yours into high gear, because it looks as if a majority of posters aren’t adhering to your draconian guidelines. Bye the way I’ll play hall monitor, although it goes against my better judgement, and remind you the next time you post on one of those offensive threads.

Since Derrick is a Top 100 recruit he will want to go to a major college football program. I hope he picks Penn State over Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, etc. The is only one certainty: he won't go to pitt since they don't meet the criteria of being a major college football program.

Reactions: Thomas1945
Guess what, of the 40 or so threads on the first page of this board 21 threads have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with COLLEGE FOOTBALL. You better kick that purity crusade of yours into high gear, because it looks as if a majority of posters aren’t adhering to your draconian guidelines. Bye the way I’ll play hall monitor, although it goes against my better judgement, and remind you the next time you post on one of those offensive threads.

Did you ever think those 40 threads was my point... not specifically grilled cheese sandwiches????

You aren't new. Its always been like that and besides would you rather rehash more of the OSU game?
And you can play "hall monitor" but....spoiler alert. No one gives a shit.

I agree with you, which is why I have said in the past that the Penn State Insiders don't have much "inside" information on the Penn State football program. I was chastized on this board a week or two ago when I said that I follow the Ohio State and Michigan Insiders in order to gain information on Penn State football recruits because I find that the Ohio State and Michigan Insiders have more "inside" information than the Penn State Insiders.

I find it hard to believe that Davis chooses LSU, since his father did not accompany him on the trip, and his father is seems to be the one giving the interviews on behalf of the family. In addition, he only went to LSU one time vs. a dozen times for both PSU and OSU. But if Penn State does not land Davis, then I hope he goes to LSU over OSU.
From his recent comments my expectation is he is headed to LSU.

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT