ADVERTISEMENT

Feb 23 -- Nolf vs. Dake, and more

nerfstate

Oct 10, 2017

UPDATE
Here's the full list (so far) from NLWC:

The following match-ups have been released. Please note that changes to the line-up could occur leading up to Feb. 23.

6:00 PM-Junior Card
  • 163-Tyler Lillard vs. Erick Gibson
  • 173-Gabe Arnold vs. Aaron Ayzerov
  • 185-Cole Rees vs. TJ Stewart
  • HWT-Jim Mullen vs. Chase Horne
  • 143-Shayne Van Ness vs. Josh Saunders
  • 140-Nic Bouzakis vs. Nico Nardone
  • 123-Dalton Perry vs. Kai Owen

7:30 PM-Senior Card
  • Jason Nolf vs. Kyle Dake
  • Vincenzo Joseph vs. Kyle Dake
  • Bo Nickal vs. Gabe Dean
  • Kyle Snyder vs. Scottie Boykin
  • Kyle Snyder vs. Gabe Dean
  • Kyle Snyder vs. Nate Jackson
  • Zain Retherford vs. Evan Henderson
  • Zain Retherford vs. Nahshon Garrett
  • Yianni Diakomihalis vs. Nahshon Garrett
  • Thomas Gilman vs. Sean Russell
  • Thomas Gilman vs. Zach Sanders
  • Vito Arujau vs. Sean Russell
  • Vito Arujau vs. Zach Sanders
  • David Taylor vs. Max Dean

Last edited:
Crazy. Jason is my all time favorite as well. It is so tough not seeing more of our GOATS that often.

That said Dake is pretty much other worldly and at the peak of his career.

I hate to say it, but this one might not be close. I am in the camp that most elite wrestlers still need 3 full years to be competitive at the world level in freestyle, and maybe 5 to take on the very best. There are exceptions but I stand by the three year plan just to get competitive.

On the good side this kind of match is awesome for Jason's development, and I am sure he will treat us to a few of his special talents. Jason's peak is still several years out and when he hits it, look out.

I do think Nolf will eventually take over 74 (if Bo doesnt get him in the octagon first) but Dake is far from done.

When?

Both JB and Dake are committed through 2024.

It is an interesting conversation. Especially considering Dake is getting younger by the day - I'm not sure anyone takes the spot from either until at least 2025 So who could really be next?

Nolf
Mekhi Lewis
David Carr

When?

Both JB and Dake are committed through 2024.

It is an interesting conversation. Especially considering Dake is getting younger by the day - I'm not sure anyone takes the spot from either until at least 2025 So who could really be next?

Nolf
Mekhi Lewis
David Carr
When? My thought is Dake beats JB in April, then bumps back to 79 for 2 years, leaving JB with 74. JB wins spot for one more year, then Nolf wins 74 for one year. In 24, ( or 25 depending Olympic choice) Nolf and Dake duke it out for 74. Will predict that LATER.

Hows that fer speculatin’??

Martinez?
Against Nolf? We know how that went down. No seriously I think he will be right there as always but Jason I think has made DT like strides and will not let IMar slow him down. Just sayin

And who the hell is Lumpy Johnson?
Sounds like he should see a doctor.

Reactions: PD4thespawn
Against Nolf? We know how that went down. No seriously I think he will be right there as always but Jason I think has made DT like strides and will not let IMar slow him down. Just sayin

And who the hell is Lumpy Johnson?
Sounds like he should see a doctor.
I'm hopeful Jason will be able to solve his iMar problem--but you do remember the last time they wrestled, right? Wasn't pretty....

Reactions: Lumpy Johnson
When? My thought is Dake beats JB in April, then bumps back to 79 for 2 years, leaving JB with 74. JB wins spot for one more year, then Nolf wins 74 for one year. In 24, ( or 25 depending Olympic choice) Nolf and Dake duke it out for 74. Will predict that LATER.

Hows that fer speculatin’??

Not sure how it will work out, but I kinda think Burroughs goes to 86 for 2024

I'm also not certain IF JB makes the team this year, AND wins gold, he doesn't decide to hang it up. I know he's said otherwise--but if he managed to pull all that off, you'd have to think he'd be thinking about going out on top.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
I wonder if they worked out when dake was in to help DT prepare for JB?

Reactions: Sullivan
I’m super excited for this match! Nolf is certainly the underdog but it’s a great opportunity for him. The only way to get better is by going with people that are better than you. Being able to get a real match in against Dake before the trials is a huge deal.

I would think Dake deciding to take it means he thinks Jason is a good match in his lead-up to the trials, which is pretty complimentary.

Not sure I agree with this. I feel like Dake wouldn't take the match if he thought Nolf was a real threat at trials (he could be wrong, just saying what he might be thinking)

Reactions: vhsalum
So, high schoolers can go to RTCs.

Can they wrestle for them?

SVN, anyone?

Not sure I agree with this. I feel like Dake wouldn't take the match if he thought Nolf was a real threat at trials (he could be wrong, just saying what he might be thinking)
None of us believe that Nolf is a real threat to Dake at trials, do we? And, this is no slight to Jason. I believe he will be the threat in the next cycle or two. Let alone Dake thinking that.

Assuming Dake believes he is the man, if I were him, I'd be picking and choosing my competition in the lead-up, according to who will best help me be the man. If Jason fits that bill, then I look at that as a compliment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT