ADVERTISEMENT

Feb 23 -- Nolf vs. Dake, and more

Not a threat.
On the other hand,
Lot's of
Fans.

$

Isn't there a rule for HS/RTC's that requires the HS kid live within a certain distance of the RTC? The Lee's moved to state college and established residence.

Isn't there a rule for HS/RTC's that requires the HS kid live within a certain distance of the RTC? The Lee's moved to state college and established residence.
Not an issue for Van Ness since he signed his NLI.

Also he moved to State College, which puts him well within the 250-mi radius. (Not sure of his exact hometown in NJ, quite possible he was within that radius anyway.)

It's not clear to me where Nolf will be situated relative to Dake in the trials brackets. Dake gets a bye to the semis (the perks of being a World Champ). IMar will very likely be seeded #2 and Nolf #3. Other guys in the mix probably include Kharchla, Massa, Gannt, Valencia, Hidlay, Mekhi Lewis and maybe Joseph and Marinelli (if they qualify).

So, wouldn't Nolf and IMar be on the same bracket side and, if chalk holds, meet in the semis (the brakcet opposite Dake)? And then Dake would hit whoever is seeded #4 or #5 (depending on who wins): maybe Kharchla or Massa or a lower seed.

If so, then perhaps Dake might figure that Nolf has to get past IMar and others first in order to reach him in the finals ... before getting Borroughs in the best of three. Yes? No? Maybe? Again, if so, there is a much longer shot that Dake and Nolf see each other at the trials and so Nolf vs. Dake in February helps both of them prepare.

It was a leading question on my part re: SVN.

I’m wondering if the NLWC might feature a young man signed with but not yet enrolled at PSU on their next card.

It's not clear to me where Nolf will be situated relative to Dake in the trials brackets. Dake gets a bye to the semis (the perks of being a World Champ). IMar will very likely be seeded #2 and Nolf #3. Other guys in the mix probably include Kharchla, Massa, Gannt, Valencia, Hidlay, Mekhi Lewis and maybe Joseph and Marinelli (if they qualify).

So, wouldn't Nolf and IMar be on the same bracket side and, if chalk holds, meet in the semis (the brakcet opposite Dake)? And then Dake would hit whoever is seeded #4 or #5 (depending on who wins): maybe Kharchla or Massa or a lower seed.

If so, then perhaps Dake might figure that Nolf has to get past IMar and others first in order to reach him in the finals ... before getting Borroughs in the best of three. Yes? No? Maybe? Again, if so, there is a much longer shot that Dake and Nolf see each other at the trials and so Nolf vs. Dake in February helps both of them prepare.
The way I heard it, iMar will get the 1 seed, Jason the 2, and dake gets the winner of the bottom of the bracket before the winner of the top.

Dake wrestling both ? Interesting.
Two beatdowns instead of one? :)

Just curious: when was the last time we had seven NCAA titles on any mat at the same time? Has it ever happened?

Answering my own question: never? Stieber and Retherford wrestled, but not with all their titles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
Two beatdowns instead of one? :)

Just curious: when was the last time we had seven NCAA titles on any mat at the same time? Has it ever happened?

Answering my own question: never? Stieber and Retherford wrestled, but not with all their titles.
Well, if we count guys who wrestled but didn't have all of their titles yet: 1989 NCAA HWT semis, Carlton Haselrig vs. Jon Llewellyn.

Reactions: hlstone
Well, if we count guys who wrestled but didn't have all of their titles yet: 1989 NCAA HWT semis, Carlton Haselrig vs. Jon Llewellyn.
In any case, we can agree that having seven titles on the mat is a very, very rare occurrence. Put Cael in one corner, and Gabe Dean in the other corner, and it'd be pretty crowded with titles.

Uh oh, Flo might be upset with Gabe Dean and the NLWC??? (who cares if they are upset though). Watching FRL this morning and they said that Dean/Cox match scheduled for the 26th is no longer happening and Bratke was very quiet about the reason it is cancelled but after this was announced Dean was then announced to be wrestling Bo on the 23rd and is also wrestling Nate Jackson on March 5th. My guess is Dean pulled out of the Flo event because it would be up at 97kg.

Reactions: Beezy14
How about a true RTC Championship? Vito vs Gilman, Zain v. YD, Dake v Nolf (confirmed), Bo v. Dean (confirmed and the NLWC will sit DT to even up the odds), Kyle v. Honis and Nick (since kerk is busy) v. ?

How about a true RTC Championship? Vito vs Gilman, Zain v. YD, Dake v Nolf (confirmed), Bo v. Dean (confirmed and the NLWC will sit DT to even up the odds), Kyle v. Honis and Nick (since kerk is busy) v. ?
Thats sounds great but didnt the Wolfpack RTC win the Flo RTC Cup?

When? My thought is Dake beats JB in April, then bumps back to 79 for 2 years, leaving JB with 74. JB wins spot for one more year, then Nolf wins 74 for one year. In 24, ( or 25 depending Olympic choice) Nolf and Dake duke it out for 74. Will predict that LATER.

Hows that fer speculatin’??
We need more weight classes in the Olympics. Who can I contact to make that happen? Ridiculous what’s happened.

Is DT going to be on any of these?

He looked a bit off the last two matches. I'm not his coach, and don't play one on TV, but I have to imagine he could use some reps outside of his normal training partners.

Reactions: diggerpup
I wonder how many deep the NLWC goes at each weight before Wolfpack RTC can beat them?

At 86kg, for example, you'd probably have to go to NLWC's 4th string guy, after DT, Nickal, Brooks.

HWT is the only weight Wolfpack would be favored at.
With a healthy Kerkvleit wrestling for NLWC, Wolfpack may not be favored at heavyweight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT