ADVERTISEMENT

FC : University of Texas loses the nations #1 QB recruit....who is looking at....

25% chance to maybe get 1 year of starting experience there is a bit high. He's the only 4 star in the competition with all 5 stars to include the #1 overall player in the class behind him. Or he could chose a program where he is likely to get 2 or more years of starting experience and not have to go through the TP and uprooting.

If there are 4 guys for 1 job you have a 1 in 4 chance. That's 25%.

I know what you are saying. But the reality is that Jake Fromm did win the starting QB job from Justin Fields........ so it can happen.

Those are only half of the checkbooks that are opened to those programs. Look at who are the projected 8 or more top 10 recruits over the '21 and '22 cycle and where they are from to want to spend 3 years in Columbus, Ohio. It can't be more obvious that O$U is simply the highest bidder.

Yup. With Ohio State - Clemson - Bama it has become an 'arms race'. There are only a couple other schools with the resources and the desire to match them.

Ohio State is NOT completing against the B1G any longer. Ohio State is now competing vs. Bama & Clemson. I believe Ohio State sees the B1G as kind of their pre-season to get ready for the CFP and eventual games vs. Clemson & Bama.

If it's not Ohio State, then it will be Bama or Clemson with an outside chance of Georgia..... same 3 or 4 programs
Which is why the powers to be in college football need to get their heads out of their a$$es and expand the playoff to 8 teams. It is simply not good for the sport to limit the biggest event of their existence (CFP) to the same 4-5 teams every year.

The answer is quite simple - 5 conference champs, G5 rep, and 2 wild cards. That will help spread the talent around, give more teams the opportunity to get into the CFP, and will actually increase the importance of the regular season, not diminish it.

It will also help schools schedule better OOC matchups against better opponents if they know a loss in one of those games won't kill their chances for the CFP (because they can still win the conference and get to the CFP). Currently, there really isn't any benefit to playing a strong OOC game. Oh sure, it sounds great when first announced and everybody gets excited, then, somebody loses the game and realizes they just cost themselves a shot at the CFP.

Fast forward to 2021 - we open at Wisconsin and play Auburn two weeks later at home. Well, if we lose those two games (very possible), we are basically out of the CFP by 11:00 pm on Sept 18 with the rest of the season in front of us. That's not fun.

Reactions: grinagrin
Yeah he sucks. Only a handful of colleges have more wins than Franklin since he became head coaches. You haters embarrass yourselves with each asinine post.
Don't think anyone is saying JF sucks, questions for sure about his game day coaching, no doubt JF is a solid recruiter and program builder. I think most question whether or not he can take that next "Elite" as he likes to talk about, next step. I'm not ready to run him out of town, 99% of programs across the country would take what he has done as theirs.

If there are 4 guys for 1 job you have a 1 in 4 chance. That's 25%.

I know what you are saying. But the reality is that Jake Fromm did win the starting QB job from Justin Fields........ so it can happen.
It can happen but it isn't a 25% chance when the guy behind you is the #1 overall recruit in the nation regardless of position. I might give that a 10% chance. The #1 overall player is going to be given a much higher than 25% chance of winning the job. But yes, it can happen. It also appears that Georgia made a mistake.

Yup. With Ohio State - Clemson - Bama it has become an 'arms race'. There are only a couple other schools with the resources and the desire to match them.

Ohio State is NOT completing against the B1G any longer. Ohio State is now competing vs. Bama & Clemson. I believe Ohio State sees the B1G as kind of their pre-season to get ready for the CFP and eventual games vs. Clemson & Bama.
Eventually somebody has to realize that having the same 3 teams in the playoff year after year is not good for the game. The bubble has to burst. I don't have a solution, but fans of the other 120ish teams will start to lose interest. I blame the playoff format starting with the BCS. I hate to admit it, but I liked it better pre-BCS.

If it's not Ohio State, then it will be Bama or Clemson with an outside chance of Georgia..... same 3 or 4 programs
You don't know that to be true. The kid is 16/17 years old. He may change his mind a dozen times. You said it's the "same 3 or 4 programs". Yet, he had originally committed to Texas - not one of those "3 or 4 programs".

Honestly - if he does not go to a Big Ten school - what difference does it make to a PSU fan?

Eventually somebody has to realize that having the same 3 teams in the playoff year after year is not good for the game. The bubble has to burst. I don't have a solution, but fans of the other 120ish teams will start to lose interest. I blame the playoff format starting with the BCS. I hate to admit it, but I liked it better pre-BCS.

Yup. I agree. Unfortunately there is never "going backwards". Rarely ever, with anything in life, do we 'move backwards'. There is no putting the toothpaste back in the tube.....

I hate to admit this one. But I believe years ago Herbstreit was right when he was politicking that the we do NOT need a BCS but he was stumping for a "Plus 1". If I remember correctly, back in the 90's/early 00's, Herbstreit basically said that we leave the bowl system alone and then at the end of the bowls when the dust settles just play a "plus 1" of the top 2 teams after the bowls.

With hindsight, this may have been better. What the 4-team CFP has created is more or less what MLB had before the salary cap when the same few teams: Yankees, Red Sox.... simply bought up all the free agents. Instead of the Yankees, Red Sox... buying up all the free agents because there is no salary cap, you have Ohio State, Clemson & Bama gobbling up all the 5* studs because they have programs & admins that are willing to spend unlimited dollars on football programs.

You don't know that to be true. The kid is 16/17 years old. He may change his mind a dozen times. You said it's the "same 3 or 4 programs". Yet, he had originally committed to Texas - not one of those "3 or 4 programs".

Honestly - if he does not go to a Big Ten school - what difference does it make to a PSU fan?

And the second Texas (his home State team and the team his family grew up being avid fans of) stubbed their toe he quickly de-committed and is now favoring Ohio State.

Yes. My statement was not absolute. Not every single 5* goes to Bama, Clemson & Ohio State. But those 3 schools get their majority every year. Georgia seems to be the 4th team in their little party and in recruiting Georgia seems to be the closest team at breaking their 3-team strangle-hold. But Georgia just has to get over the Alabama obstacle........... easier said than done.

Fully agree, and this is why personally I have always wanted one of the startup leagues to take off, be the the XFL, AAF, whatever. With a high enough pay scale it could siphon off the top kids who legit only want to go to the NFL and don't want to deal with the pretense of getting a college degree, which let's be honest most who leave early never achieve until their playing days are over anyway. You'd still have plenty of talent at the collegiate level for good football and potentially even things out a bit.

Reactions: JustinTyme
Remember when everyone was all giddy when a 5 star would have our hat on the table but we would never get picked.....saying it is great for the program. Well, I think we are seeing that you actually need some of them to choose you. Yes, under crazy circumstances we got Micah....and he gave us two wonderful years.....but does anyone think he doesn't opt back in if he were at Ohio State? Not sure what it is, but I do know we are light years behind them recruiting wise.

Don't think anyone is saying JF sucks, questions for sure about his game day coaching, no doubt JF is a solid recruiter and program builder. I think most question whether or not he can take that next "Elite" as he likes to talk about, next step. I'm not ready to run him out of town, 99% of programs across the country would take what he has done as theirs.
He had several chances where he had teams of equal or better talent w/ big games well-in-hand - and he blew every single chance. Now recruiting is slipping relative to the competition. So he will have to figure out a way to overachieve vs competition. No sign of that happening (exhibit A: Indiana, 2020). If it does not happen soon (very), it is likely to put PSU in kind of an Iowa/Purdue state. Acceptable? To many here, the answer may be yes. But I suspect there are even more that expect more...we have a stadium that says they expect more. And a few of us that remember when PSU was “in the conversation” - doing things like winning big games on the road...even against ranked teams...even against top ranked teams...even against #1 ranked teams.

Franklin has done a great job in resurrecting the program ahead of schedule. But progress has stalled and is regressing.

What next?

Reactions: ram2020
He had several chances where he had teams of equal or better talent w/ big games well-in-hand - and he blew every single chance. Now recruiting is slipping relative to the competition. So he will have to figure out a way to overachieve vs competition. No sign of that happening (exhibit A: Indiana, 2020). If it does not happen soon (very), it is likely to put PSU in kind of an Iowa/Purdue state. Acceptable? To many here, the answer may be yes. But I suspect there are even more that expect more...we have a stadium that says they expect more. And a few of us that remember when PSU was “in the conversation” - doing things like winning big games on the road...even against ranked teams...even against top ranked teams...even against #1 ranked teams.

Franklin has done a great job in resurrecting the program ahead of schedule. But progress has stalled and is regressing.

What next?

1. Stop losing a IU/Michigan State/Minnesota Game every year.
2. Win 2 in a row against Ohio State.

Pretty much the blue print to get this team over the hump.

You have to wonder what McCord is thinking. I mean he was the guy who really gave Ohio St it's recruiting momentum with this class, now he knows he's expendable and was probably used. And maybe he doesn't realize this yet. The realization maybe comes his freshman or sophomore year but I think the writing is already on the wall.

Maybe he'll transfer to LSU down the road and have the best single year QB performance ever.

Reactions: JustinTyme

Honestly, I think a lot of our fans need to lower expectations a bit. I'm not talking about this past Saturday. That was deplorable, but it isn't reasonable to expect us to regularly compete with OSU. Is the plan for the facility/stadium upgrades in the works? I don't know what the college football landscape will look like 5-10 years down the road, but maybe that's when we will peak.

Agree. But isn't it a vicious cycle .... if you always get the best players .... you win games.... you win games.... you get the best players... you have the best players you win games.... you win games you get the best players.... And around and around it goes.

I know "woulda-coulda-shoulda". And it is what it is. But fact is that you take 1 team... Ohio State out of the equation and Penn State is probably the dominant team in the B1G the last 4-5 years. But Ohio State is in the B1G and they are not going anywhere anytime soon. Just like Bama is not leaving the SEC --- bad news for Georgia, Florida, LSU, Texas AM, Auburn. And Clemson is not leaving the ACC anytime soon -- bad news for UNC, Miami VT.

So what can be done. Under the present 4-team CFP system you can not blame the majority of big time 5* studs going to just those handful of schools.

I know over the last week Franklin is "bad man". It's Franklin's fault it gets dark at night. It's Franklin's fault water is wet. But the reality is that Franklin/PSU are in the same boat and face the same obstacle of getting over that final hump as about 10-20 other programs: Wiscy, Michigan, Auburn, Florida...... all pretty much face the same problem PSU/Franklin faces.

No doubt, which is why it was so critical for them to finish the rose bowl against USC and close our OSU in 17/18. If Franklin had done that, in all 3 games, with a win probability well over 90%, the power shift likely would have occurred. Now the very real concern is that they simply will not get another opportunity to shift the power balance. OSU is recruiting on a level unheard of, Penn State is recruiting like a mid-level Big Ten program(for now, the 22 class looks impressive if it sticks).

Reactions: Texas Lion
Honestly, I think a lot of our fans need to lower expectations a bit. I'm not talking about this past Saturday. That was deplorable, but it isn't reasonable to expect us to regularly compete with OSU. Is the plan for the facility/stadium upgrades in the works? I don't know what the college football landscape will look like 5-10 years down the road, but maybe that's when we will peak.

I for one expect the following:

1. top 10 in season polls AND recruiting polls every year.
2. NY6 Bowl Every Year
3. Possible talk on CFP every year.

And I don't think that is crazy talk. No way we should have lost last weekend......look at the stats and look at the opportunities......

Ohio State is rumored to be a very serious option for Quinn Ewers from Southlake Carroll High school. My three kids graduated from Southlake Carroll so I am quite familiar with Quinn and his family. I have watched him on four occasions in person , and he is the real deal...big time recruit. Ohio State is after him and the only alternative that may sneak in would be Oklahoma. Knowing what I know about this kid....I would hate to have to play this kid for 3-4 years. Only sharing this being Ohio State is and has been our major nemesis . This is certainly not a good look for UT Coach Tom Herman who is under some pressure from various sources. If UT loses this weekend to OKST.....that pressure will ratchet up....big time.

He will re-commit back to UT very quickly once Urban Meyer is HC.

Reactions: whart
could be true, but pro style QBs don’t scare me
Ohio State has historically given us more trouble when they had a QB who could run, including a few Heisman trophy winners (Troy Smith) or finalists.
This may raise a few hackles on this board, but I think the trend in the quality of our LB coaching (although I think LB recruiting has improved) has made it even more critical. Franklin may have a little too much pride for this, but I'd have Vanderlinden over for a talk or two with the LB group-I hear he has 'retired' to State College.

Ohio State has historically given us more trouble when they had a QB who could run, including a few Heisman trophy winners (Troy Smith) or finalists.
This may raise a few hackles on this board, but I think the trend in the quality of our LB coaching (although I think LB recruiting has improved) has made it even more critical. Franklin may have a little too much pride for this, but I'd have Vanderlinden over for a talk or two with the LB group-I hear he has 'retired' to State College.

A year or two ago, LaVar Arrington said that some defensive Lettermen had offered some advice to Franklin & Pry, and they were not receptive to the feedback. If I remember correctly, it was right after the loss to Michigan State at Home in 2018. You also never hear Franklin reaching out to the Lettermen for support or feedback. Bill O'Brien used to do that all the time and he would invite Lettermen to attend practice.

We do know. Those are the schools that pay well enough to land the top 10 recruits each cycle. It's always the same who are willing to make the highest bid.

I'm not willing to go down the road of accusing teams of having "bag men". But I'll take facilities as an example. Going way back to OB and then progressing to Franklin, both of those guys stated very publicly that Penn State needs big time upgrades of Lasch & the facilities to compete. What type of bull-shit did both OB & Franklin get.... they get the $$$ trickle thru to maybe renovated offices one year, and a fresh paint job another year. And they hear about a 10-year master plan that includes pork-barrel projects for Sandy & Barron to include museums and natatoriums.... Meanwhile, Dabo & Saban do not even ask for upgrades and their schools are spending hundreds of millions immediately on new football facilities. If Bama gets new

Personally, I believe #1 is most important. If you are a team wanting to get into that "next level", you gotta beat all the teams you are supposed to beat ... and do it convincingly. I'll use UGA as an example, because I think they are the closest team to breaking into the Bama-Clemson-Ohio St party. Over the last few years Georgia has stomped on everyone they were supposed to beat. They had 1 hiccup last year in an ugly loss to S. Carolina when Jake Fromm threw for like 4 INTs. But other than that S. Carolina hiccup, the Bulldogs have taken care of business ...... on everyone NOT named Bama. They've gone 0-3 vs. Bama. But no one blames Georgia for not getting over Bama because Bama is Bama. Just like LSU. I believe in the last 10-15 years, LSU has like 1 or 2 wins vs. Bama. Again, no one blames LSU because Bama is Bama. Just like Ohio State is Ohio State.

I think the key is:
1. Beat all the teams you are supposed to beat. No more loses to MSU, Minnesota, Indiana...
2. If you lose to Ohio St, it has to be a very competitive game

I believe if over the next 2-3 years we cranked out 11-1 seasons, and in those years our only loses were like 27-24 or 31-28 nail-biter loses to Ohio St..... then everyone would say we were elite, we were right with Ohio St... we just could not get over the Ohio St hurdle.... Much like Georgia is trying to get over the Bama hurdle.

Reactions: Texas Lion
I'm not willing to go down the road of accusing teams of having "bag men". But I'll take facilities as an example. Going way back to OB and then progressing to Franklin, both of those guys stated very publicly that Penn State needs big time upgrades of Lasch & the facilities to compete. What type of bull-shit did both OB & Franklin get.... they get the $$$ trickle thru to maybe renovated offices one year, and a fresh paint job another year. And they hear about a 10-year master plan that includes pork-barrel projects for Sandy & Barron to include museums and natatoriums.... Meanwhile, Dabo & Saban do not even ask for upgrades and their schools are spending hundreds of millions immediately on new football facilities. If Bama gets new

Personally, I believe #1 is most important. If you are a team wanting to get into that "next level", you gotta beat all the teams you are supposed to beat ... and do it convincingly. I'll use UGA as an example, because I think they are the closest team to breaking into the Bama-Clemson-Ohio St party. Over the last few years Georgia has stomped on everyone they were supposed to beat. They had 1 hiccup last year in an ugly loss to S. Carolina when Jake Fromm threw for like 4 INTs. But other than that S. Carolina hiccup, the Bulldogs have taken care of business ...... on everyone NOT named Bama. They've gone 0-3 vs. Bama. But no one blames Georgia for not getting over Bama because Bama is Bama. Just like LSU. I believe in the last 10-15 years, LSU has like 1 or 2 wins vs. Bama. Again, no one blames LSU because Bama is Bama. Just like Ohio State is Ohio State.

I think the key is:
1. Beat all the teams you are supposed to beat. No more loses to MSU, Minnesota, Indiana...
2. If you lose to Ohio St, it has to be a very competitive game

I believe if over the next 2-3 years we cranked out 11-1 seasons, and in those years our only loses were like 27-24 or 31-28 nail-biter loses to Ohio St..... then everyone would say we were elite, we were right with Ohio St... we just could not get over the Ohio St hurdle.... Much like Georgia is trying to get over the Bama hurdle.
Technically, if you have to choose losing to either OSU or to some lesser opponent, it could be better to lose to the lesser opponent. Having the head to head tiebreaker over OSU to take the division and get the chance to play for a conference title could lead to greater rewards than having one loss that ensures we finish 2nd in the East. I think in such a scenario the subjective factors such as "how" the loss to a lesser team went down, and how that team performs for the rest of their games would come into play, but sometimes losing to a noncontender can work out better.

Technically, if you have to choose losing to either OSU or to some lesser opponent, it could be better to lose to the lesser opponent. Having the head to head tiebreaker over OSU to take the division and get the chance to play for a conference title could lead to greater rewards than having one loss that ensures we finish 2nd in the East. I think in such a scenario the subjective factors such as "how" the loss to a lesser team went down, and how that team performs for the rest of their games would come into play, but sometimes losing to a noncontender can work out better.

I was talking more about the perception of the program as "elite". IMO, I think most people would be quicker to view a Penn State as elite if say we went back to back years of 11-1, the only loses were to Ohio St in 2 nail-biters. And then we beat a good team in a NY6 Bowl. This is more or less, pretty close to what UGA has done the last 3 years. They've beaten pretty much everyone they were supposed to beat (except for 1 ugly upset to S. Carolina), and they lost 3 straight years to Bama, in games where they led at half-time in each of the games, only to see Bama win the 2nd half..... Way more people put Georgia in the "elite" crowd than Penn St.

And Franklin has a history of sustained winning. Texas recently does not.

I don't know what's going on at Texas; it's a top five job and they should be competing for NCs every year. Outside of the losing, what is the issue there? Top five state for recruits, tons of money, great school, etc., - it should be any football player's top preference in the Big XII.

Reactions: PSUoh90
Fully agree, and this is why personally I have always wanted one of the startup leagues to take off, be the the XFL, AAF, whatever. With a high enough pay scale it could siphon off the top kids who legit only want to go to the NFL and don't want to deal with the pretense of getting a college degree, which let's be honest most who leave early never achieve until their playing days are over anyway. You'd still have plenty of talent at the collegiate level for good football and potentially even things out a bit.

Since 2000, there have been 11 different College Football National Champions. In that same timeframe, there have been 13 different Super Bowl winners.

The talk that WE are not there yet [ recruiting ] PSU will never get there with Franklin

A year or two ago, LaVar Arrington said that some defensive Lettermen had offered some advice to Franklin & Pry, and they were not receptive to the feedback. If I remember correctly, it was right after the loss to Michigan State at Home in 2018. You also never hear Franklin reaching out to the Lettermen for support or feedback. Bill O'Brien used to do that all the time and he would invite Lettermen to attend practice.
What was BOB's record at PSU? 15-9? Those letterman must have given him some bad advice. 🙄

Reactions: PSUoh90
Ohio State is rumored to be a very serious option for Quinn Ewers from Southlake Carroll High school. My three kids graduated from Southlake Carroll so I am quite familiar with Quinn and his family. I have watched him on four occasions in person , and he is the real deal...big time recruit. Ohio State is after him and the only alternative that may sneak in would be Oklahoma. Knowing what I know about this kid....I would hate to have to play this kid for 3-4 years. Only sharing this being Ohio State is and has been our major nemesis . This is certainly not a good look for UT Coach Tom Herman who is under some pressure from various sources. If UT loses this weekend to OKST.....that pressure will ratchet up....big time.
Hey Whart...how are you? My two oldest have now graduated from SLC. One is at UT and the other at A&M. My youngest is at Carroll High School. I've seen Ewers play too. I knew he was a big-time recruit the moment he stepped on the field. Riley Dodge is the perfect coach for him. That is a HUGE loss for UT and it would make me sick to see him go to Ohio State.

Hey Whart...how are you? My two oldest have now graduated from SLC. One is at UT and the other at A&M. My youngest is at Carroll High School. I've seen Ewers play too. I knew he was a big-time recruit the moment he stepped on the field. Riley Dodge is the perfect coach for him. That is a HUGE loss for UT and it would make me sick to see him go to Ohio State.
Hey there ! Great to hear from you.....I relocated back East 5 years ago.... to do my “ turnaround” thing .....finished with that.....went well and decided to move back.....build a new home and semi retire early to be close to my daughters who are all just finished with college. This will be my permanent home, but still travel back frequently on a consulting agreement. I love being back in Texas and reconnecting with everyone. As I mentioned earlier I have seen Ewers play on several occasions and really think this kid is special . I would love to see him go to Oklahoma rather than Ohio State. At this point, the tea leaves say Ohio State.....but you never know. One poster did suggest that Ewers would stay with UT if Herman left and was replaced by UM. If by chance that were to happen....Ewers would have to reconsider. I would imagine that one of the very few gigs that Urban Meyer would consider would be U T. Please PM me with your updated contact info!

Unfortunately Ohio State is always going to be attractive to blue chip recruits and transfers

Hey there ! Great to hear from you.....I relocated back East 5 years ago.... to do my “ turnaround” thing .....finished with that.....went well and decided to move back.....build a new home and semi retire early to be close to my daughters who are all just finished with college. This will be my permanent home, but still travel back frequently on a consulting agreement. I love being back in Texas and reconnecting with everyone. As I mentioned earlier I have seen Ewers play on several occasions and really think this kid is special . I would love to see him go to Oklahoma rather than Ohio State. At this point, the tea leaves say Ohio State.....but you never know. One poster did suggest that Ewers would stay with UT if Herman left and was replaced by UM. If by chance that were to happen....Ewers would have to reconsider. I would imagine that one of the very few gigs that Urban Meyer would consider would be U T. Please PM me with your updated contact info!
I was wondering why I didn't hear much out of you. Welcome back! Will send my updated contact info. The boosters at UT will not stand for any more mediocrity. Herman is definitely on the hot seat. Losing a talent like Ewers simply will not be acceptable in their eyes. WAY too much talent at that school for coaches not to succeed.

Send me an email at dan@danhenryweather.com

Pretty much a done deal for this kid to end up at OSU

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT