ADVERTISEMENT

FC : University of Texas loses the nations #1 QB recruit....who is looking at....

whart

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2004
Fort Worth TX
Ohio State is rumored to be a very serious option for Quinn Ewers from Southlake Carroll High school. My three kids graduated from Southlake Carroll so I am quite familiar with Quinn and his family. I have watched him on four occasions in person , and he is the real deal...big time recruit. Ohio State is after him and the only alternative that may sneak in would be Oklahoma. Knowing what I know about this kid....I would hate to have to play this kid for 3-4 years. Only sharing this being Ohio State is and has been our major nemesis . This is certainly not a good look for UT Coach Tom Herman who is under some pressure from various sources. If UT loses this weekend to OKST.....that pressure will ratchet up....big time.

Ohio State is rumored to be a very serious option for Quinn Ewers from Southlake Carroll High school. My three kids graduated from Southlake Carroll so I am quite familiar with Quinn and his family. I have watched him on four occasions in person , and he is the real deal...big time recruit. Ohio State is after him and the only alternative that may sneak in would be Oklahoma. Knowing what I know about this kid....I would hate to have to play this kid for 3-4 years. Only sharing this being Ohio State is and has been our major nemesis . This is certainly not a good look for UT Coach Tom Herman who is under some pressure from various sources. If UT loses this weekend to OKST.....that pressure will ratchet up....big time.

How much better is he than Justin Fields?

How much better is he than Justin Fields?
IMO.....two different styles. Ewers has pin- point passing ability.....hits guys in stride and can run if he has to.....but is more of a pro style guy.... very smart kid. Not saying he is better than Fields as I don’t know. What I am saying... is that ...if...Ohio State nabs this kid....they are getting a good one. Ohio State Coach Day....is fast becoming “ A QB whisperer “....unfortunately.

What does that say to the 5* qb they got from Philly area, was it this year, or next year.

What does that say to the 5* qb they got from Philly area, was it this year, or next year.
Ah.....good catch ! Top programs like Ohio State....Bama etc.....can pick and choose and regularly will bring in several QB studs per class and let them battle it out. We simply are not there yet. I would imagine that a contact with that kid from Philly would be a good idea.....keep the embers warm so to speak.

Reactions: HazletonLion
Yes sir.....you lose this many top recruits on quick succession and some tough losses in games....and that is a recipe for losing your contract. Add to that some insanely wealthy alumni who are not thrilled with the Coach....and there you go.

Who exactly are those alumni? Figment of your imagination.

Who exactly are those alumni? Figment of your imagination.
Of course....you already know that I would never give a specific name or names that would be rather stupid of me to do so. What I am willing to say is one of them belongs to the Country Club that I am a member of and I run into frequently etc etc etc. feel free to believe what you want....that’s on you.

Of course....you already know that I would never give a specific name or names that would be rather stupid of me to do so. What I am willing to say is one of them belongs to the Country Club that I am a member of and I run into frequently etc etc etc. feel free to believe what you want....that’s on you.

Well ain’t you special. Appears you well heeled friend is as stupid as you.

Sustained winning at a high level begets recruiting.

This will be Franklin’s eventual failure.

I guess you missed that currently PSU’s 2022 class is ranked No 2 nationally ahead of you guessed it—OSU. But whatever floats your agenda.

IMO.....two different styles. Ewers has pin- point passing ability.....hits guys in stride and can run if he has to.....but is more of a pro style guy.... very smart kid. Not saying he is better than Fields as I don’t know. What I am saying... is that ...if...Ohio State nabs this kid....they are getting a good one. Ohio State Coach Day....is fast becoming “ A QB whisperer “....unfortunately.
could be true, but pro style QBs don’t scare me

Ohio State has a 5 Star QB from the 2020 class, 4 Star QB McCord committed in the 2021 class, and it’s a high probability that 5 Star QB Quinn Ewers commits to Ohio State in the 2022 class. That’s a lot of QB talent in one room, from all over the country, trying to get their chance at Quarterback U according to ESPN. Someone is going to be the odd man out.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
Ohio State has a 5 Star QB from the 2020 class, 4 Star QB McCord committed in the 2021 class, and it’s a high probability that 5 Star QB Quinn Ewers commits to Ohio State in the 2022 class. That’s a lot of QB talent in one room, from all over the country, trying to get their chance at Quarterback U according to ESPN. Someone is going to be the odd man out.
Agree 100%.....would like to pry that Philly kid away.

I guess you missed that currently PSU’s 2022 class is ranked No 2 nationally ahead of you guessed it—OSU. But whatever floats your agenda.
The annual Franklin recruiting saga customarily starts with great fanfare and prematurely inflated ratings but sadly always ends with a string of important decommitments.

Rinse and Repeat. The 2022 Class doesn’t have to sign for another 13-14 months.

Just like he can’t coach to close out a game, he also can’t close out a recruiting class.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: PS4814
Yes sir.....you lose this many top recruits on quick succession and some tough losses in games....and that is a recipe for losing your contract. Add to that some insanely wealthy alumni who are not thrilled with the Coach....and there you go.
Oh goodie, he will be available when CJF bolts to another team after he gets sick of all the negative Nellies who post here ;)

Reactions: TheGLOV
🍦

True, though Ewers is probably going to commit to Ohio State pretty soon. That will give them the #1 overall class.

They're also probably going to get the #3 overall kid in the 2022 class pretty soon. And they just got CBs for the #10 overall kid (a WR from Texas), and a high 4* safety from Iowa.

It is what it is.

The annual Franklin recruiting saga customarily starts with great fanfare and prematurely inflated ratings but sadly always ends with a string of important decommitments.

Just like he can’t coach to close out a game, he also can’t close out a recruiting class.

what planet do you live on?

Sustained winning at a high level begets recruiting.

This will be Franklin’s eventual failure.

Agree. But isn't it a vicious cycle .... if you always get the best players .... you win games.... you win games.... you get the best players... you have the best players you win games.... you win games you get the best players.... And around and around it goes.

I know "woulda-coulda-shoulda". And it is what it is. But fact is that you take 1 team... Ohio State out of the equation and Penn State is probably the dominant team in the B1G the last 4-5 years. But Ohio State is in the B1G and they are not going anywhere anytime soon. Just like Bama is not leaving the SEC --- bad news for Georgia, Florida, LSU, Texas AM, Auburn. And Clemson is not leaving the ACC anytime soon -- bad news for UNC, Miami VT.

So what can be done. Under the present 4-team CFP system you can not blame the majority of big time 5* studs going to just those handful of schools.

I know over the last week Franklin is "bad man". It's Franklin's fault it gets dark at night. It's Franklin's fault water is wet. But the reality is that Franklin/PSU are in the same boat and face the same obstacle of getting over that final hump as about 10-20 other programs: Wiscy, Michigan, Auburn, Florida...... all pretty much face the same problem PSU/Franklin faces.

True, though Ewers is probably going to commit to Ohio State pretty soon. That will give them the #1 overall class.

They're also probably going to get the #3 overall kid in the 2022 class pretty soon. And they just got CBs for the #10 overall kid (a WR from Texas), and a high 4* safety from Iowa.

It is what it is.

....... And by the time everyone puts a ribbon on the Class of '22 the final recruiting rankings will no doubt be Ohio State - Alabama - Clemson at 1-2-3 in some order.... I guess this is all Franklin's fault.

You got 3 schools who have administrations who basically are willing to give their progarms an open check book. Saban, Dabo and Meyer/Day have the incredible luxury of coaching at schools who have admins & boards who are 100% committed to giving everything to the football program.

You think when Dabo or Saban asks for updated football facilities he is told "Oh, it's all part of the master 10-year plan and we'll build your updated facilities in phases... but after the new natatorium and after the new museum". Or, do you think bull-dozers & shovels are in the ground within a few weeks???

I don't like hearing it but you're not wrong. He gotta land the big fish on a much more frequent basis to make a dent in the 'crooting of OSU or to match up with the other "elite" programs out there.

I don't like hearing it but you're not wrong. He gotta land the big fish on a much more frequent basis to make a dent in the 'crooting of OSU or to match up with the other "elite" programs out there.

Respectfully, I am beginning to disagree. I am beginning to think a "slow build" will not put a school like Penn State, Auburn, Michigan, Miami, Florida..... over-the-top and on equal footing to compete with the likes of Ohio State, Clemson & Bama.

If I can save all my money, and I can work hard and I can do everything right to buy a BMW .... that's great. But if the other guy gets a Maserati.... then when I race him in my BMW vs. his Maserati he still beats me.

We can get a few more 5* guys. And that would probably narrow the gap. But Penn State, or Auburn or Florida or UNC or Miami or Michigan or Wiscy ... getting a few more 5* guys is not going to put any of them in the same league as Bama, Clemson & Ohio State who have a roster full of 5* guys.

You have to wonder what McCord is thinking. I mean he was the guy who really gave Ohio St it's recruiting momentum with this class, now he knows he's expendable and was probably used. And maybe he doesn't realize this yet. The realization maybe comes his freshman or sophomore year but I think the writing is already on the wall.

Reactions: grinagrin
Well the kid hasn’t signed anywhere yet. So before he is given All Big Ten honors he has to show up in Columbus. And there is plenty of time for other programs to pursue him.

If it's not Ohio State, then it will be Bama or Clemson with an outside chance of Georgia..... same 3 or 4 programs

....... And by the time everyone puts a ribbon on the Class of '22 the final recruiting rankings will no doubt be Ohio State - Alabama - Clemson at 1-2-3 in some order.... I guess this is all Franklin's fault.

You got 3 schools who have administrations who basically are willing to give their progarms an open check book. Saban, Dabo and Meyer/Day have the incredible luxury of coaching at schools who have admins & boards who are 100% committed to giving everything to the football program.

You think when Dabo or Saban asks for updated football facilities he is told "Oh, it's all part of the master 10-year plan and we'll build your updated facilities in phases... but after the new natatorium and after the new museum". Or, do you think bull-dozers & shovels are in the ground within a few weeks???
Those are only half of the checkbooks that are opened to those programs. Look at who are the projected 8 or more top 10 recruits over the '21 and '22 cycle and where they are from to want to spend 3 years in Columbus, Ohio. It can't be more obvious that O$U is simply the highest bidder.

You have to wonder what McCord is thinking. I mean he was the guy who really gave Ohio St it's recruiting momentum with this class, now he knows he's expendable and was probably used. And maybe he doesn't realize this yet. The realization maybe comes his freshman or sophomore year but I think the writing is already on the wall.

Well, the good thing now is the Transfer Portal. Before the TP a guy like McCord would have been screwed over. His only option would have been to either sit out a year, or transfer to a D2 school. Now, I think these guys realize they can use the TP to thier advantage. Even if a school has multiple 4/5* studs at your position... give it a shot. You might win the job.... If you do not win the job simply use the TP to go to another school.

Even if Ohio St gets this Ewers guy, McCord will have about a 25% chance (1 in 4 QBs) to win the prestigious starting QB job at Ohio St. To many, that's worth a gamble when your consolation prize is to simply use the TP and go to another D1 program.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Those are only half of the checkbooks that are opened to those programs. Look at who are the projected 8 or more top 10 recruits over the '21 and '22 cycle and where they are from to want to spend 3 years in Columbus, Ohio. It can't be more obvious that O$U is s

Yup. With Ohio State - Clemson - Bama it has become an 'arms race'. There are only a couple other schools with the resources and the desire to match them.

Ohio State is NOT completing against the B1G any longer. Ohio State is now competing vs. Bama & Clemson. I believe Ohio State sees the B1G as kind of their pre-season to get ready for the CFP and eventual games vs. Clemson & Bama.

Well, the good thing now is the Transfer Portal. Before the TP a guy like McCord would have been screwed over. His only option would have been to either sit out a year, or transfer to a D2 school. Now, I think these guys realize they can use the TP to thier advantage. Even if a school has multiple 4/5* studs at your position... give it a shot. You might win the job.... If you do not win the job simply use the TP to go to another school.

Even if Ohio St gets this Ewers guy, McCord will have about a 25% chance (1 in 4 QBs) to win the prestigious starting QB job at Ohio St. To many, that's worth a gamble when your consolation prize is to simply use the TP and go to another D1 program.
25% chance to maybe get 1 year of starting experience there is a bit high. He's the only 4 star in the competition with all 5 stars to include the #1 overall player in the class behind him. Or he could chose a program where he is likely to get 2 or more years of starting experience and not have to go through the TP and uprooting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT