ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Scrapple lovers

mn78psu83

Nov 10, 2011
The topic of scrapple comes up here every now and then. Always have it Thanksgiving morning. Just finished a delicious breakfast of scrapple (with ketchup of course), fried eggs with sour dough toast, and coffee. Life is good. Make that great!

Last edited:
The topic of scrapple comes up every now and then here. Always have it Thanksgiving morning. Just finished a delicious breakfast of scrapple (with ketchup of course), fried eggs with sour dough toast, and coffee. Life is good. Make that great!
Can’t have it anymore due to dietary restrictions but we liked to buy the home made scrapple by the Amish at Booth’s Corner. Those were the days. ☹️

Can’t have it anymore due to dietary restrictions but we liked to buy the home made scrapple by the Amish at Booth’s Corner. Those were the days. ☹️
Booth's Corner. We once auctioned off a lamb there in the mid sixties or so. My parents took me and my little sister to the auction. My mother said that the lamb was "bleating." We thought she said it was "bleeding." I was five or six and my little sister (three or four) started crying uncontrollably.

Used to love the Country Store (Pennsdale, PA) scrapple but haven't had any for years...
My father in law traveled to Pennsdale monthly for haul of meats. Sorry to see the store is closing.

Country Store Pennsdale
about 2 months ago

It is with much regret - today we announce - Springman's Country Store at 607 Village Road in Pennsdale, PA will close its doors indefinitely.

We want to sincerely thank all of our customers, our family, and our friends who have patronized the Country Store throughout the years.

As well, a thank you to all of our present and past employees, who absolutely made all things possible, and who have been a part of the Country Store family.

...See More

Philly residents eat it with ketchup, other people use maple syrup
Yeah, what's that about? Maple syrup? Just kidding. Maple syrup is good on other pork products. We have pancakes and bacon every Sunday morning. It's a happy accident when the maple syrup gets on the bacon. Still, I am a Philly area guy by birth and have to put ketchup on scrapple.

Reactions: step.eng69
My father in law traveled to Pennsdale monthly for haul of meats. Sorry to see the store is closing.

Country Store Pennsdale
about 2 months ago

It is with much regret - today we announce - Springman's Country Store at 607 Village Road in Pennsdale, PA will close its doors indefinitely.

We want to sincerely thank all of our customers, our family, and our friends who have patronized the Country Store throughout the years.

As well, a thank you to all of our present and past employees, who absolutely made all things possible, and who have been a part of the Country Store family.

...See More

I hope you loaded up on scrapple.

Philly residents eat it with ketchup, other people use maple syrup

way too broad of a statement, and as such not very accurate.

The topic of scrapple comes up here every now and then. Always have it Thanksgiving morning. Just finished a delicious breakfast of scrapple (with ketchup of course), fried eggs with sour dough toast, and coffee. Life is good. Make that great!

Purchased some on Wednesday to have for Friday breakfast. I ran a 5k this morning (finished 1st in my age group, btw), so I wasn't looking to have a big/heavy breakfast before the race.

Purchased some on Wednesday to have for Friday breakfast. I ran a 5k this morning (finished 1st in my age group, btw), so I wasn't looking to have a big/heavy breakfast before the race.
Breakfast of Champions Tom! Congratulations!

Know you want your Moderators in good physical (mental ????) shape, so I “participated” in a two mile Turkey Trot this morning. Began at 8:30AM, looking good re: making Da’ Bears - Lions 11:30AM kickoff!

Happy T-Day, Tom!

I just had Country Store Scrapple this morning. It is my second favorite scrapple. My favorite is from Martin's Custom Butchering, New Holland, PA.

I've been in State College for every game the last three seasons, including this season, except for the OSU game in 2016 and Appalacian State this year. During that time, I've had scrapple and eggs before every home football game when in State College except for 2. Penn State's record when I have had scrapple and eggs is 16-0. When I had something else in that time frame, their record is 0-2.

I'm having scrapple and eggs this Saturday.

By the way, some of the Weis Markets around State College sell Country Store Scrapple as does Wegmans.

Reactions: Hotshoe
By the way, some of the Weis Markets around State College sell Country Store Scrapple as does Wegmans.
Thanks for the heads up on that. We'll be sure to get that kind for the next planned scrapple event - Dec. 24.

I just had Country Store Scrapple this morning. It is my second favorite scrapple. My favorite is from Martin's Custom Butchering, New Holland, PA.

I've been in State College for every game the last three seasons, including this season, except for the OSU game in 2016 and Appalacian State this year. During that time, I've had scrapple and eggs before every home football game when in State College except for 2. Penn State's record when I have had scrapple and eggs is 16-0. When I had something else in that time frame, their record is 0-2.

I'm having scrapple and eggs this Saturday.
Is that 16-0 with or without the point spread. I need to call my bookie!

Reactions: mn78psu83
Yeah, what's that about? Maple syrup? Just kidding. Maple syrup is good on other pork products. We have pancakes and bacon every Sunday morning. It's a happy accident when the maple syrup gets on the bacon. Still, I am a Philly area guy by birth and have to put ketchup on scrapple.
IMHO scrapple is best eaten unadorned. You don’t want anything to get in the way of the taste of the scrapple.

Syrup or ketchup for me. It’s all about equal opportunity for me.

Jokes aside, the PSU meat market has some really good scrapple if you’re in town on Fridays during the fall or spring semesters.

Totally agree with Nitwit. Condiments ruin scrapple, IMO.

By the way, highly recommended book for scrapple lovers...

51dUPo-s45L._SX346_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Eating ketchup on scrapple sounds like something they would do in Ann Arbor. What’s next, ketchup on pancakes?

I grew up in New Jersey, went to school in Pa and now live in Ohio ( OK, OK). From the freezer this morning I had the choice of Ohio Amish scrapple or Taylor Pork Roll. Flipped a coin. Scrapple won. With ketchup BTW.

I grew up in west central pa (between Altoona and Bedford) and we had our scrapple traditions too. When I was too young to participate I would sit by the cook stove in pap's butcher room in the barn. When pap or dad would slip up with the skinning knife and get a little bit of meat/fat they would toss it in the ancient, caste iron skillet on that stove. That was my snack food.

After the butchering was done that's when the rest of the hog was broken down for the scrapple pot. Everything but the squeal was broken up and boiled down. Pulled the meat from the broth, ground it all together with the old hand grinder bolted to a work bench. Then added it all back to the broth along with corn meal and spices. Had to constantly stir it with what looked like a canoe paddle. Then into the 'bread' pans to cool and set.

In the morning before work, pap would slice about a three quarter inch thick slice of scrapple and put it between two slices of white bread, with his home made mustard. Wrapped that in wax paper, into the lunch box with his thermos of coffee and off to work.

I've never been able to bring myself to try a cold scrapple sandwich with mustard. I love it fried crisp with pancake syrup. Ketchup? Ack!

Eating ketchup on scrapple sounds like something they would do in Ann Arbor. What’s next, ketchup on pancakes?
I don't care how anyone else eats it. I just love it with ketchup. One thing this thread shows is that there are still plenty of scrapple lovers out there. Amen!

Reactions: Nitwit
I grew up in west central pa (between Altoona and Bedford) and we had our scrapple traditions too. When I was too young to participate I would sit by the cook stove in pap's butcher room in the barn. When pap or dad would slip up with the skinning knife and get a little bit of meat/fat they would toss it in the ancient, caste iron skillet on that stove. That was my snack food.

After the butchering was done that's when the rest of the hog was broken down for the scrapple pot. Everything but the squeal was broken up and boiled down. Pulled the meat from the broth, ground it all together with the old hand grinder bolted to a work bench. Then added it all back to the broth along with corn meal and spices. Had to constantly stir it with what looked like a canoe paddle. Then into the 'bread' pans to cool and set.

In the morning before work, pap would slice about a three quarter inch thick slice of scrapple and put it between two slices of white bread, with his home made mustard. Wrapped that in wax paper, into the lunch box with his thermos of coffee and off to work.

I've never been able to bring myself to try a cold scrapple sandwich with mustard. I love it fried crisp with pancake syrup. Ketchup? Ack!
Excellent scrapple post! How could you eat it with pancake syrup though? Yuck!;)

Reactions: Nitwit
tmg-article_tall.jpg

Flickr/Kara

Scrapple didn't get its name because it’s made with scraps
The name "scrapple" most likely originated as a shortened version of panhaskröppel, which stems from words panhaas or panaas (“pan rabbit”) and skröppel (”a slice of”). Translated, panhaskröppel is a slice of panhaas. Since that’s both gross and hard to pronounce, over time it was simplified to scrapple.

I actually made chocolate covered (cold) scrapple once.... Imagine a chocolate covered French fry... Not good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT