ADVERTISEMENT

fc SB's agents dont want him going to Cleveland, rather him to NYG...

sluggo72

Aug 31, 2006
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...leys-agents-dont-want-him-to-go-to-cleveland/

The Browns don’t exactly have a great track record of developing the players they choose in the NFL draft, and the people around one of this year’s top prospects would prefer for him not to be next.

That’s the word from a Sports Illustrated profile of Penn State running back Saquon Barkley, which says that although Barkley is ready to compete wherever he goes, his agents would much rather see Barkley go second overall to the Giants than first overall to the Browns.

“His Roc Nation handlers, however, don’t want him to be taken No. 1,” Ben Baskin writes in SI. “They don’t want him in Cleveland. They want him to go second to the Giants and play in the media capital of the world. That’s where you can become the Face of the League. His manager even implored him to pull an Eli Manning and demand that the Browns not draft him. Barkley never considered the option.”

Some mock drafts don't have him going to either. Next Thursday will be interesting.

Personally I find it refreshing that Barkley is open to playing for any team including the Browns. Don't ever change, Saquon.
I do too. I think John Dorsey will get the Browns straightened out, I dont think they will be the same old same old. We will see.

I think the highest he goes is with the 4th pick to the Browns. It seems they are pretty set on taking a QB with the 1st pick.

Reactions: bluewhiteApos
So his agents are assholes as big as Archie Manning? Major surprise there.
In fairness, their job is to get him in the best situation they can and the Browns haven’t really shown in forever that they are that situation.

In fairness, their job is to get him in the best situation they can and the Browns haven’t really shown in forever that they are that situation.

Their job is to get him the most money they can so that they, in turn, can get the most money that they can. I understand that, They're still assholes and so is Archie Manning.The major difference is that at the next go-round Saquon will likely have a different agent but Eli will still have Archie for a father. Advantage Saquon.

Their job is to get him the most money they can so that they, in turn, can get the most money that they can. I understand that, They're still assholes and so is Archie Manning.The major difference is that at the next go-round Saquon will likely have a different agent but Eli will still have Archie for a father. Advantage Saquon.

His reps see big endorsement $$$ in NY, not so much in Cleveland.

Sorry but any agent who doesnt try to get their guy to go to NY (or another big market) vs Cleveland isn't doing his job. Losing 1 spot in the draft order to going to a better market means millions.

If you didn't get to choose your employer, and Apple and Sears were both considering hiring Art to work for a mandatory 5 years, you wouldn't do anything to sway which place you ended up? Keep in mind you'd also make more money at Apple. You're an a-hole if you try to steer it towards Apple?

His reps see big endorsement $$$ in NY, not so much in Cleveland.

You think LeBron is hurting for endorsement dollars in Cleveland?

The big endorsement contracts derive from star power and that's more a function of individual ability and team quality than it is location of the team. In his early years with the Giants, Eli was most visible in TriState Toyota Dealer commercials. I'm sure that paid huge.

Reactions: colt21
If you didn't get to choose your employer, and Apple and Sears were both considering hiring Art to work for a mandatory 5 years, you wouldn't do anything to sway which place you ended up? Keep in mind you'd also make more money at Apple. You're an a-hole if you try to steer it towards Apple?

Except that Barkley will make $250K more in salary from the Browns if selected as number 1 than from the Giants at number 2.

Yeah, I know, NYC as the media center and all that crap. But Nike signed him before it had any idea of where he's be playing. Why? Because they're betting that he'll be a superstar no matter wherever he plays. The big money is for national deals,. not the local stuff.

Reactions: colt21
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...leys-agents-dont-want-him-to-go-to-cleveland/

The Browns don’t exactly have a great track record of developing the players they choose in the NFL draft, and the people around one of this year’s top prospects would prefer for him not to be next.

That’s the word from a Sports Illustrated profile of Penn State running back Saquon Barkley, which says that although Barkley is ready to compete wherever he goes, his agents would much rather see Barkley go second overall to the Giants than first overall to the Browns.

“His Roc Nation handlers, however, don’t want him to be taken No. 1,” Ben Baskin writes in SI. “They don’t want him in Cleveland. They want him to go second to the Giants and play in the media capital of the world. That’s where you can become the Face of the League. His manager even implored him to pull an Eli Manning and demand that the Browns not draft him. Barkley never considered the option.”
Having the first and fourth picks, if the Browns pass on Barkley they are truely as dumb as they have appeared to be for many years. He could be the best thing for Cleveland since Jim Brown. (Football Wise)

Reactions: Obliviax
Tough to blame the agents. There job is to maximize the amount of money that Barkley makes in contract and endorsements. NYC is going to have a lot more opportunities for some lucrative local endorsement deals than Cleveland. Plus nationally Giants get a lot more press than Browns. Throw in the Browns have been a complete mess on and off the field for a many years now and from a pure football standpoint it is the right move also.

You think LeBron is hurting for endorsement dollars in Cleveland?

The big endorsement contracts derive from star power and that's more a function of individual ability and team quality than it is location of the team. In his early years with the Giants, Eli was most visible in TriState Toyota Dealer commercials. I'm sure that paid huge.
Art: It isn't just the salary or endorsement opportunities. Recall that Archie Manning was the No. 1 draft choice when HE came out of Ole Miss. The Saints took him, but had NOBODY to block for him, run the ball or catch his passes. They were so bad that their fans wore "Aints" paper bags over their heads. Manning took a beating as the Saints QB, and never achieved the kind of NFL success he would have had if he had gone to a better team. So I can understand why he might have wanted his sons to avoid the same fate.

All of that being said, Saquon is just too much of a quality person to conceive of him telling a team not to draft him, even if he had good reason to do so.

Tough to blame the agents. There job is to maximize the amount of money that Barkley makes in contract and endorsements. NYC is going to have a lot more opportunities for some lucrative local endorsement deals than Cleveland. Plus nationally Giants get a lot more press than Browns. Throw in the Browns have been a complete mess on and off the field for a many years now and from a pure football standpoint it is the right move also.

The NFL guy with the most valuable group of endorsement deals spent most of his career in Indianapolis and a few years in Denver.

Reactions: JoeFi
I mean, of course they want him to go to the Giants at 2. He's not going #1. So, it's NYG at 2, NYJ at 3, Cleveland at 4, Denver at 5, Indianapolis at 6 or Tampa at 7 (can't imagine any scenario in which he falls further) so, yes, they want him to go to the Giants. The comment about his handlers not wanting him to go #1 is just idiotic. The odds are probably about 2% of that happening right now

Art: It isn't just the salary or endorsement opportunities. Recall that Archie Manning was the No. 1 draft choice when HE came out of Ole Miss. The Saints took him, but had NOBODY to block for him, run the ball or catch his passes. They were so bad that their fans wore "Aints" paper bags over their heads. Manning took a beating as the Saints QB, and never achieved the kind of NFL success he would have had if he had gone to a better team. So I can understand why he might have wanted his sons to avoid the same fate.

All of that being said, Saquon is just too much of a quality person to conceive of him telling a team not to draft him, even if he had good reason to do so.

And Archie's experience in New Orleans was going to be duplicated in San Diego? While Philip Rivers hasn't won any Super Bowls, he'd beg to differ. He didn't seem to have a problem with Peyton going to the Colts who were positively execrable at the time. Nope, Ole Arch was just trying to maximize the value of the Manning brand. That's fine, but don't hold yourself and you family as exemplars of the sanctity of football tradition.

Cleveland is in a better situation for Saquon going forward than the Giants. The Giants are a mess, Cleveland is under new management (Dorsey) whom actually seem to know what they are doing.

Not to mention a much better O-Line

Cleveland is in a better situation for Saquon going forward than the Giants. The Giants are a mess, Cleveland is under new management (Dorsey) whom actually seem to know what they are doing.

I don't believe that to be true. If the Giants add Barkley that offense will be prolific in 2018.

The media's production of the NFL Silly Season is enough to make even me wince at yet another Saquon article. Let me know when he's drafted.

I mean, of course they want him to go to the Giants at 2. He's not going #1. So, it's NYG at 2, NYJ at 3, Cleveland at 4, Denver at 5, Indianapolis at 6 or Tampa at 7 (can't imagine any scenario in which he falls further) so, yes, they want him to go to the Giants. The comment about his handlers not wanting him to go #1 is just idiotic. The odds are probably about 2% of that happening right now

I think the odds of Barkley going first are far greater than 2%. Every day I see a different forced ranking of the QBs in the draft. That puts them equal as far as I'm concerned. So, Barkley could quite possibly go first and then one of the QBs in the fourth.

I don't believe that to be true. If the Giants add Barkley that offense will be prolific in 2018.

That'll be a first: a prolific offense led by a QB who will spend most of the time on his back, or running from being put on his back.

Cleveland has almost always been a mess...new management, same mess. Cleveland is where careers go to die.

Cleveland has almost always been a mess...new management, same mess. Cleveland is where careers go to die.

Can't argue with that, though the Giants have been doing a pretty good imitation recently.

The browns are a SHIT. SHOW. :eek: . I fully appreciate his agents’ position.

really? The Giants O will be prolific in 2018?? Cant wait for this!!!

Eli, Barkley, Engram, OBJ Marshall & Sheppard can be very, very good. Very good. Watching teams try to matchup with Engram and Barkley while doubling OBJ...I hope we see it

BTW, SB's agents, Rock Nation, is denying the story. They are now publicly saying that they would be thrilled if SB was picked 1 or 4.

I think the odds of Barkley going first are far greater than 2%. Every day I see a different forced ranking of the QBs in the draft. That puts them equal as far as I'm concerned. So, Barkley could quite possibly go first and then one of the QBs in the fourth.

With the Jets now at 3 it almost guarantees the Browns take a QB. I can't see Cleveland taking the risk that they don't get either of their top 2 QBs. There's no way teams have them as "even". Personally, I think Darnold is far ahead of the other 3. Rosen has made it clear he doesn't want to go to Cleveland. Mayfield is Manziel 2.0 which would be a nightmare for Cleveland. So, it's Darnold or Allen. One of them goes first then we'll see how things shake out. While I think Saquon should go first and the Browns should then take Chubb or Fitzpatrick at 4 that's not going to happen. It's a QB league and RBs are undervalued.

Saquon is a JETS FAN growing up i think the JETS will take him at 3 and surprise the NFL nation. That’s just me hoping. The JETS NEED A SPARK ITS SAQUON. Not a qb

Saquon is a JETS FAN growing up i think the JETS will take him at 3 and surprise the NFL nation. That’s just me hoping. The JETS NEED A SPARK ITS SAQUON. Not a qb

I’ve had a feeling that this is a possibility. The Jets move up to three, supposedly to pick a QB. And reports are that the first two picks could also be QBs. I don’t think you move to number three to take the third best QB, especially when all of these QBs have flaws. But you could take a generational talent at RB to build your offense around.

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
Hard to blame Archie if you look at the big picture. His career was wasted by a team that couldn’t get it right. Chargers front office was a train wreck (how many championships did rivers win vs manning and Roethlisberger?)They never sign anyone on time, etc. He wanted better for his son than the NFL purgatory he endured.

Also, not sure how much you know about Archie but by all acccounts he has been a pretty good father.

Also, shouldn’t we call it “pulling an Elway”? He invented the move (he was right to do it too.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT