ADVERTISEMENT

FC: RIP George HW Bush...

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date
Highest ever presidential approval rating of 91% right after Desert Storm. Doubt we'll ever see a number even close to that again.
RIP Mr. President.
He took a lot of heat for leaving Saddam in power. I strongly believe that our continued experiences in that part of the world have shown this to have been the right decision.

He tried to do his best for his country. All respect.

Sad day, he was my first president when I was born in 89. Forget about politics and whether you agreed with him on issues or not the guy was all class and accomplished so much in a lifetime. Hard not to admire and respect a guy like that. I always like him and thought he was one of the last icons of an era unfortunately that will soon be forgotten RIP

Reactions: 91Joe95 and LionJim
RIP President Bush. A good president and a great human being. Both George H. Bush and his wife Barbara were revered by secret service agents.

RIP President Bush. A good president and a great human being. Both George H. Bush and his wife Barbara were revered by secret service agents.

Yep.

Also I got to know a guy who was secret service for Reagan. Said after his father RR was his hero. Absolutely loved the man

wp-PPYR-YorkTownSquare-1305-34781489.jpg

A great man who's accomplishments are unrivaled. One of the best leaders from the greatest generation who represented himself always with class and dignity. He will surely be missed.

There is a "conspiracy" theory out there that goes like this... The single reason 41 chose Day Quayle as his VP was to protect himself against impeachment. 41 had a fear that illegal deeds committed at the CIA under his watch would come to the surface while he was in office. No one, not even the leadership of the DNC, would want to put Quayle in the oval office.

I'll just add here an interesting footnote to history. As some may know, Bush's grandfather was from Columbus. HW used to go back to visit family in his youth--and tangled on occasion with some of the local kids. One of those was Mrs KG's Uncle Dan. Not often you get to meet someone who got to take a swing at a President.....

True American ceremony today.

God bless president bush. Very good ceremony, stories, songs, respect.

Amazing story how bushj and Clinton became friends where even Clinton said he is the lost black sheep son of bush.

Always great to see when this country comes together.

Reactions: LionJim and RandyL
An interesting contrast to the recent lying in state of President George H. W. Bush, and the lying in state of Rep. Thaddeus Stevens (PA), 150 years ago, in the below tweet. Stevens was just the third individual to receive the honor of lying in state at the US Capitol (Sen. Henry Clay was the 1st, and President Lincoln was the 2nd). And before anyone takes offense, I'm not making any type of comparison between a distinguished member of the House of Representatives, and the President of the United States. I just enjoy observing the evolution of traditions over time, especially as they relate to US history.

The big question is, is jimmy carter going to live forever? Dude left office in 1981.

Reactions: RU31trap

Yes, indeed. BAC do you know one of my SSA friends who was on the Bush detail when he was VP and finished up Clinton's personal protector his first 2.5 years or so? His initials are PD.

The big question is, is jimmy carter going to live forever? Dude left office in 1981.

Carter's still 12 years younger than John McCain's mother. I was absolutely stunned when I heard about Senator McCain's death, and she was listed among his survivors!

Roberta McCain was born 7 days prior to Arizona being admitted into the Union. New Mexico had been only a state for 26 days. She literally was almost born during a time where we had 46 states.

Anyway, Carter's still doing good stuff in the world, so I hope God blesses him with continued good health and a few more laps around the Sun.

An interesting contrast to the recent lying in state of President George H. W. Bush, and the lying in state of Rep. Thaddeus Stevens (PA), 150 years ago, in the below tweet. Stevens was just the third individual to receive the honor of lying in state at the US Capitol (Sen. Henry Clay was the 1st, and President Lincoln was the 2nd). And before anyone takes offense, I'm not making any type of comparison between a distinguished member of the House of Representatives, and the President of the United States. I just enjoy observing the evolution of traditions over time, especially as they relate to US history.

I had no idea Twitter existed back then.

LdN

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT