ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Penn State plans "report card" on frats

Lets do something - something that NO ONE at PSU will do (apparently).

th

th
th

Let's take 30 seconds of "think time".....assuming we have IQs above room temperature.

The "big issue" here is, of course, Penn State having their nuts in the vice when something "bad" happens to a kid at a Fraternity.

So - - - - here's the plan :) :

The "powers that be" are gonna' put out a report. A report that will be interpreted as a guide to "Which Frats are Safe, Which are Dangerous":

So - - - - down the road, when "something bad happens to someone" at a Frat.
Any Frat.

Either a Frat that PSU said was a "Good Frat".... or a Frat the PSU said was a "Bad Frat":

If the action occurs at a PSU deemed "Good Frat" ......what's the reaction?
Is there any mystery here?

Plaintiff's Attorney:
"You (PSU) gave your seal of approval that everything was "A-OK" there. Obviously - you were wrong. You misled and failed my client."

If the action occurs at a PSU deemed "Bad Frat" ......what's the reaction?
Is there any mystery here?

Plaintiff's Attorney:
"You (PSU) knew this Fraternity had a history of serious, dangerous issues. And yet you continued to recognize this rogue organization..... and you allowed my client - and the entirety to the PSU student body - to serve as potential victims."

When you are sitting in a position of authority and potential responsibility, and are consternating vav ways to limit/reduce/eliminate liability:

It is hard to come up with a dumber idea than to say ..... "Hey - lets publish a USER'S GUIDE!!"

th

Last edited:
yeah i actually agree that doing this is kind of a lose lose situation for psu. kid gets hurt in a "bad" frat...why werent they kicked out?

Kid gets hurt in a good frat...."penn state lied to us"

I really think the school and frats should work together to separate themselves at this point. Im not calling for an end to greek life but it may be better for everyone involved to put some distance there.

yeah i actually agree that doing this is kind of a lose lose situation for psu. kid gets hurt in a "bad" frat...why werent they kicked out?

Kid gets hurt in a good frat...."penn state lied to us"

I really think the school and frats should work together to separate themselves at this point. Im not calling for an end to greek life but it may be better for everyone involved to put some distance there.
This isn't even a difficult situation.

Any number of simple ways to (effectively) address the situation.

Just OTTOMH:

1 - Simply "do not recognize" any fraternities. Kind of the "scorched Earth" policy - - - - but it certainly addresses any liability issues.

or, a less totalitarian option:

2 - Require any organization - if they want to apply for University recognition - to set up parameters (which must be approved by the University) regarding issues like alcohol use, socials, etc.
AND require that they hire (at the Fraternity's expense) a full-time, live-in adult "Housemother/father" to monitor (on-site), verify, report, and assume responsibility for conformance to those parameters.

PSU is run by a brand of idiots that could only exist in a bureaucracy.

“The thinking was that perhaps a ‘buyer's guide’ would affect the economic status of the house."

(So one of the insiders can swoop in and grab it under market, probably)

F these people

After the ski resort disaster by a Michigan frat a couple years ago, it was recommended that they hire a full time babysitter, err, live-in advisor.

If you are going to give grades to frats how about giving grades to all service organizations. What is to stop a service organization from engaging in reckless behavior on or off campus? Plenty of them have social events the same as fraternities. They just do these at off campus apartments or houses.

If you go with

Just OTTOMH:

1 - Simply "do not recognize" any fraternities. Kind of the "scorched Earth" policy - - - - but it certainly addresses any liability issues.

or, a less totalitarian option:

2 - Require any organization - if they want to apply for University recognition - to set up parameters (which must be approved by the University) regarding issues like alcohol use, socials, etc.
AND require that they hire (at the Fraternity's expense) a full-time, live-in adult "Housemother/father" to monitor (on-site), verify, report, and assume responsibility for conformance to those parameters.

PSU is run by a brand of idiots that could only exist in a bureaucracy.
If you go with #2, a private contractor must oversee any event that involves alcohol, in the house or offsite. This would include serving the alcohol, carding anyone drinking alcohol, all individuals of legal drinking age would have to have a wrist ban identification, security would spot check everyone drinking alcohol, and could ban anyone from drinking who exceeds the legal BAC level.

Something tells me the frats would not agree to that.

i think the frats are going to see how this goes for maybe a year...if its terrible, then they will all look to separate and go independent

Fine

Then the Frats are no longer University recognized.

Easy-Peasy Japaneasy.

This shit ain't even difficult.
Well, we had one frat, you know, the one full of Men of Honor, that signed all kinds of agreements, forwarded various plans to all kinds of official councils, said in writing that they were dry, and all kinds of stuff.

Then the Men of Honor proceeded to do whatever the hell they wanted to, from the President (and signatory) on down.

So forgive me if I'm dubious of recognizing/regulating fraternities.

Let them all go and be non-recognized, non-University-affiliated groups. If somebody gets themselves gooned up (willingly or otherwise) and falls off a balcony, it ain't the University's responsibility.

Is president barren also planning to give a report card on the football program? That seems to be of paramount importance.

;)
A few football players have been caught crumb handed on closed circuit camera. They used bare hands to take cookies from the training table. Meetings will be held, and letters will be written.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
A few football players have been caught crumb handed on closed circuit camera. They used bare hands to take cookies from the training table. Meetings will be held, and letters will be written.

:eek:

The program must be sanctioned!

Just OTTOMH:

QUOTE]

Did PSU eliminate liability when Sandusky retired?

PSU is not eliminating liability when all the fraternities members are PSU students that have a legal right to use PSU facilities.

IF the frats got smart they would shift the liability to everyone but themselves and that includes PSU

Explain to me why the University is in the business of sponsoring, regulating, and now evaluating the relative merits of speakeasies?
Because the laws of every state in the Union (enacted under the threat of the loss of federal highway funds) set the drinking age at 21, effectively making colleges the monitors of underage drinking (at least among the segment of the 18-20 year old population that is attending college).

A person is an adult for every other purpose (except possibly renting an automobile) at age 18. College freshmen are getting their first taste of daily living without parental supervision. And along with being responsible for getting up in time for classes, getting their own meals, doing their own laundry, managing their own checking account, and a myriad of other things newly independent students need to do, these freshmen have to learn how to deal with and manage alcohol.

It is simply unrealistic to believe that a college student who has reached age 21 (and who therefore can purchase and consume alcohol legally), is routinely gonna say "no" to an 18-20 year old peer when asked to "pour me a beer" (or a mixed drink), Regardless of what the legal drinking age is, college students are going to continue to engage in underage drinking whether they live in fraternities, sororities, dorms, co-ops, or apartments. They are all engaged in the process of figuring out how they are gonna manage alcohol, and the vast majority of them figure out, perhaps after a couple of lamentable experiences throwing up or dealing with a brutal hangover, how to drink socially and responsibly. (For some that means not drinking at all.)

But given the sheer number of new students across this country who leave home for college each year, it is inevitable that some students are either not going to learn how to manage their alcohol intake (much less that of their peers), or are going to get themselves into high risk situations as a result of their consumption. I say that not to offer up apologia, but merely to note that laws establishing the drinking age do not comport with the reality of what is occurring with 18-20 year-olds, either on or off campus...

Last edited:
Because the laws of every state in the Union (enacted under the threat of the loss of federal highway funds) set the drinking age at 21, effectively making colleges the monitors of underage drinking (at least among the segment of the 18-21 year old population that is attending college).

A person is an adult for every other purpose (except possibly renting an automobile) at age 18. College freshmen are getting their first taste of daily living without parental supervision. And along with being responsible for getting up in time for classes, getting their own meals, doing their own laundry, managing their own checking account, and a myriad of other things newly independent students need to do, these freshmen have to learn how to deal with and manage alcohol.

It is simply unrealistic to believe that a college student who has reached age 21 (and who therefore can purchase and consume alcohol legally), is routinely gonna say "no" to an 18-20 year old peer when asked to "pour me a beer" (or a mixed drink), Regardless of what the legal drinking age is, college students are going to continue to engage in underage drinking whether they live in fraternities, sororities, dorms, co-ops, or apartments. They are all engaged in the process of figuring out how they are gonna manage alcohol, and the vast majority of them figure out, perhaps after a couple of lamentable experiences throwing up or dealing with a brutal hangover, how to drink socially and responsibly. (For some that means not drinking at all.)

But given the sheer number of new students across this country who leave home for college each year, it is inevitable that some students are either not going to learn how to manage their alcohol intake (much less that of their peers), or are going to get themselves into high risk situations as a result of their consumption. I say that not to offer up apologia, but merely to note that laws establishing the drinking age do not comport with the reality of what is occurring with 18-20 year-olds, either on or off campus...
I get all of what you say, and I even agree with you.

I used to be an underclassman too - and I drank like a fish. But if I got jammed up I did not expect my university to take the fall for MY failures.

Civil liability in this case is going to fall on the entity that can pay. That ain't the Men of Honor or the defunct frat or the National. Penn State is going to pay, and pay plenty.

Why? Because they gave this frat, Beta, or whatever the hell it is, the Penn State Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval. That was a monumentally stupid move.

Have all the frats/private clubs/underage drinking dens you like - Downtown. Then THEY can deal with the inevitable fallout and pay the piper. NOT the University.

Civil liability in this case is going to fall on the entity that can pay. That ain't the Men of Honor or the defunct frat or the National. Penn State is going to pay, and pay plenty.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Pennsylvania law usually insulates the University from liability for a frat issue. There are some extenuating circumstances in this case, but if the University is ultimately held liable, that would be the exception rather than the rule.

Because the laws of every state in the Union (enacted under the threat of the loss of federal highway funds) set the drinking age at 21, effectively making colleges the monitors of underage drinking (at least among the segment of the 18-21 year old population that is attending college).

How does that work? Joe, 19 year old, is a student at East Podunk State U. Joe consumes alcohol at a location five miles from campus. While driving back to campus, is involved in a vehicular accident. People are injured and there is property damages. How is EPSU responsible for any of that?

True, True, True, and True.

None of which have anything to do with the idiocy with which PSU Leadership has handled (and, by all indicators, will continue to handle) their liability issues wrt "fallout" from reckless behavior undertaken specifically by recognized University Organizations.

i.e. Penn State will never be liable for a drunk kid (even if that kid be a PSU student) falling off of an apartment balcony...... or getting behind the wheel of a car and killing him/herself or others.

They are f-ing idiots (and/or simply don't give a damn - - - - especially since it ain't their money, nor their asses headed to jail.).
But - of course - we already knew that :)

Did PSU eliminate liability when Sandusky retired?

PSU is not eliminating liability when all the fraternities members are PSU students that have a legal right to use PSU facilities.

IF the frats got smart they would shift the liability to everyone but themselves and that includes PSU

Pretty simple. PSU completely disassociates itself from the fraternities. No recognition, no funding (of the fraternities themselves or any governing body, directly or indirectly), no attempts to regulate their behavior, disallow them to participate in University functions or events under a fraternity banner. Then go one step further and make it clear in pertinent University publications that the University has no association with any (social) fraternity and that people join at their own risk.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Pennsylvania law usually insulates the University from liability for a frat issue. There are some extenuating circumstances in this case, but if the University is ultimately held liable, that would be the exception rather than the rule.
Penn State - and, specifically, Damon Sims:

- Printed up gigantic "bullseye" targets
- Attached them to the back of "Penn State" (shoulda' been to his own back...but that's another issue)
- Ran around screaming "shoot me"

And now, PSU "leadership" (under the direction of King Ira) will spend as much of OUR MONEY as necessary to buy off the penalties for the sins of the malfeasant.
And then - King Ira will have one more "favor" to place in his quiver of "owsies" from the Fearless Penn State leadership.

Just one more way in which PSU "leadership" is identical to a Mob Operation.

Pretty simple. PSU completely disassociates itself from the fraternities. No recognition, no funding (of the fraternities themselves or any governing body, directly or indirectly), no attempts to regulate their behavior, disallow them to participate in University functions or events under a fraternity banner. Then go one step further and make it clear in pertinent University publications that the University has no association with any (social) fraternity and that people join at their own risk.
"Voltzy" is apparently running a few volts shy of 220.

"Voltzy" is apparently running a few volts shy of 220.

You did not answer my question. Did PSU eliminate any risk when Sandusky retired? I guess it does not support your point so you won't answer.

You did not answer my question. Did PSU eliminate any risk when Sandusky retired? I guess it does not support your point so you won't answer.
I might answer (but probably not - you ain't worth it) if ANYTHING you ever said had ANYTHING to do with the point at hand.

special board meeting set for june 2nd to discuss drastic measures and things that arent being done on any college campus. Get ready for an insane overreaction from psu here. Probably going to mandate an adult is watching over fraternity events at all times.

Not so simple. Your plan is to disassociate from an organization where every member is associated with the university and will continue to be associated with the university. ALL their members will continue to use campus facilities and can attend all campus events.

You want to cut funding. What funding?

Not so simple. Your plan is to disassociate from an organization where every member is associated with the university and will continue to be associated with the university. ALL their members will continue to use campus facilities and can attend all campus events.

You want to cut funding. What funding?
The members will continue to do all of that stuff. As individuals. By virtue of being a PSU student. But not under the banner of an organization NOT recognized by the University.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT