ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: USC in hot water over online degree program…

at the same time, this is a master's program. not like they are fooling 9 year old kids here. Talking 22-25 years old's that have gone through college already and should have some clue about how much school costs and what salaries are like in the real world. I mean you have to have your head in the sand to not know that social workers don't make much money, about everybody knows that. At a certain point, have to take responsibility for yourself if you overpay for something that is worthless of your own volition.

I

Over the past few months WSJ, has had quite a few articles on Masters programs. Most are over priced and underdeliver on the ROI. Student seem to be ill informed on the debt load and the future earnings, and they dig quite a hole for themselves.
This link opens for me, but I have a WSJ subscription. Hopefully it opens for the posters.

Most are over priced and underdeliver on the ROI. Student seem to be ill informed on the debt load and the future earnings, and they dig quite a hole for themselves.

Holds true for plenty of undergrad degrees as well.

Over the past few months WSJ, has had quite a few articles on Masters programs. Most are over priced and underdeliver on the ROI. Student seem to be ill informed on the debt load and the future earnings, and they dig quite a hole for themselves.
This link opens for me, but I have a WSJ subscription. Hopefully it opens for the posters.
the issue is kids out of college actually start to get out there and find out that the $40k they are getting paid doesnt go that far when mom and dad are not paying for things or you aren't just borrowing money to pay for school. So they think going back to get a Masters is somehow going to take them from $40K to $100k just because they got two more years of schooling. That isn't teh case about anywhere with any masters. Just poor decision making by the person who thinks that and they are just fooling themselves in most cases as they just don't want to face up to the fact that you have to start out at the bottom and work your way up. they think somehow a masters will allow them to jump the line and start out in mid management already.

the issue is kids out of college actually start to get out there and find out that the $40k they are getting paid doesnt go that far when mom and dad are not paying for things or you aren't just borrowing money to pay for school. So they think going back to get a Masters is somehow going to take them from $40K to $100k just because they got two more years of schooling. That isn't teh case about anywhere with any masters. Just poor decision making by the person who thinks that and they are just fooling themselves in most cases as they just don't want to face up to the fact that you have to start out at the bottom and work your way up. they think somehow a masters will allow them to jump the line and start out in mid management already.
Well intended kids and parents. They think that a Masters sheepskin from a reputable school will be the answer to an over 100k job offers. The parents often are not financially savvy, but believe in their child, and the school, and go balls to the wall.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Cosmos
I am going to be blunt. There is no cure for stupid. Attending a private school for a low salary career or low ceiling career is stupid. Period. Attending a tier one public school for a low salary career or low ceiling career is also stupid, just not as stupid. These types of programs are what the Youngstown States or Radfords or Bloomsburgs are for.

at the same time, this is a master's program. not like they are fooling 9 year old kids here. Talking 22-25 years old's that have gone through college already and should have some clue about how much school costs and what salaries are like in the real world. I mean you have to have your head in the sand to not know that social workers don't make much money, about everybody knows that. At a certain point, have to take responsibility for yourself if you overpay for something that is worthless of your own volition.

I
It doesn't help that high school and college counselors advise kids to "do what you love". Of course it's important to enjoy what you do but it's also important that you can support yourself and repay your debt.

Hopefully, people will wake up.

I've done my part. But some people continually work against honest information reaching the public so they can make good, sensible decisions for themselves.

I hope those people start to think differently.

It's a disgrace that we've fooled so many people into "everyone should go to college", where there will be no real learning, imparted by disinterested professors who are mostly just angry idiots, for ridiculous sums of money to pay for equally ridiculous administrators.

Of course, we can always just let these kids stay kids until they're 28, default on their loans and print money to send to the university to cover the defaulted loans. That won't ever cause a problem. People who say that printing money causes inflation are just lying. People who don't want everyone to be free to "pursue their own dreams" are just mean.

Hahahaha

Reactions: bison13 and 84Lion
In engineering at least, masters programs seem to be priced as if employers are paying tuition for employee development.

In engineering at least, masters programs seem to be priced as if employers are paying tuition for employee development.

Reactions: katchthis

I

I agree by the time you graduate you should have a clue about cost / benefits of college education. But then again we are talking about young adults who are getting a Masters in Social Work. I'd bet pretty heavy they are not the sharpest crayons in the graduated with degrees crayon box.

Reactions: PSUEngineer89
I find it obscene that any school would charge 100K for an online program catering to low wage earners, when the expected return is an enhanced low wage. Shame on USC.

My guess is that few posters have had to rely on social workers, save for hospital related matters. They are overloaded, underappreciated, and underpaid, believe me. Of course, they are also the government's face in its response to poverty. My strong suspicion is that for a whole host of reasons, they are lightning rods for conservative ideologists.

Last edited:
Engineering programs at least provide for a really good chance at a lucrative career.

Soooo many other programs provide essentially no marketable skills.

Reactions: bison13
Few advanced degrees have a significant ROI. I regularly tell young professionals not to get their MBA unless it's from a traditional top-10 Ivy type of program.

The value of the degree is the brand, connections and how they combine to open better employment doors in the future. Law and Engineering may be more about learning a field, thus different.

Masters in Arts and similar are just cost factors for future earners, IMO.

I find it obscene that any school would charge 100K for an online program catering to low wage earners, when the expected return is an enhanced low wage. Shame on USC.

My guess is that few posters have had to rely on social workers, save for hospital related matters. They are overloaded, underappreciated, and underpaid, believe me. Of course, they are also the government's face in its response to poverty. My strong suspicion is that for a whole host of reasons, they are lightning rods for conservative ideologists.

I agree. but the answer isn't to forgive all the loans of the students that went there as that doesn't solve anything. How about if USC actually did break some laws (maybe false advertising or predatory lending laws), that USC gets fined and that money goes to allow the students that graduated with that degree don't have to pay the interest on the loan for example. So the principal of the loan is still there, but don't allow the banks to make money on lending somebody something they knew they were not going to have a good chance of getting back. So something like that, USC loses (they are fined) for doing something they should not have done, the banks lose (no interest on loan) for doing some stupid, and the students have some relief (no interest on loan) but still have to pay back the loan they took as shame on them for being stupid.

I agree. but the answer isn't to forgive all the loans of the students that went there as that doesn't solve anything. How about if USC actually did break some laws (maybe false advertising or predatory lending laws), that USC gets fined and that money goes to allow the students that graduated with that degree don't have to pay the interest on the loan for example. So the principal of the loan is still there, but don't allow the banks to make money on lending somebody something they knew they were not going to have a good chance of getting back. So something like that, USC loses (they are fined) for doing something they should not have done, the banks lose (no interest on loan) for doing some stupid, and the students have some relief (no interest on loan) but still have to pay back the loan they took as shame on them for being stupid.
In the end, there are two ways to deal with economic mistakes/issues.

1. Pass laws and regulations that keep everyone in line. This is what is done in controlled economies. Have a specific wrong - pass a single, targeted law.

2. Make the market function better. Remove government subsidies for education and let the VALUE of the degree stand on its own. Engineering will be higher priced because it has more value. Gender studies will have to be given out for free, because it has zero value.

In the end, there are two ways to deal with economic mistakes/issues.

1. Pass laws and regulations that keep everyone in line. This is what is done in controlled economies. Have a specific wrong - pass a single, targeted law.

2. Make the market function better. Remove government subsidies for education and let the VALUE of the degree stand on its own. Engineering will be higher priced because it has more value. Gender studies will have to be given out for free, because it has zero value.

very true. the govt. lending money to students has only benefited skyrcocketing tuition. The fact it has not stopped when so obviously not working is because the politicians are benefiting greatly from the banks and the schools making money off the backs of students. But again, the answer to all of this by some is to forgive all the loans that the govt. itself was the main culprit in creating. It is just crazy.

Reactions: PSUEngineer89

I say this without an ounce of arrogance and mean no disrespect, but you are wrong on almost everything in this post.

To my knowledge, tuition does not vary at any school based on some arbitrary determination of what they might earn after graduation. A social work degree at PSU costs the same as an engineering or business degree.

Social workers might be "overloaded, underappreciated, and underpaid," but despite this, there is no shortage of people seeking these degrees and work. Ask yourself why a government agency would require a bachelors and masters degree to be a social worker. If the liberal ideologists (to use your term) cared, there are plenty of ways to train people with a bachelors degree in some sort of apprentice-type program.
This is not ideological. In this case, you have ultra-liberal university types, charging generally ultra-liberal social-work/government employee types outrageous sums for degrees to pursue low-paid government jobs. This is all self-inflicted and completely avoidable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT