ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Temple's deal with the Eagles seems pretty crappy.....

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date
A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

But, Temple is going 'all in' on football anyway. Anyone know what kind of deal Pitt has? From Deadspin:

Temple's Still Getting Fleeced By The Eagles, And Locals Are Stuck With Both Bills
giqahxdtjklnhcbzy7qf.jpg

Photo: Corey Perinne (Getty Images)
Temple has yet to start construction on a promised community jobs center, a project that was announced three years ago, but its plans for a controversial on-campus football stadium have only gained steam. This is thanks in part to some grade-A scuzzery courtesy of the Philadelphia Eagles.

The university announced this week that it would break ground soon on a site meant to house a center that would provided job-related resources and training for local North Philly residents, per a report from BillyPenn. The announcement comes right in the middle of a rough stretch for the Temple administration, which has been roundly criticized for its determination to build a multi-million dollar football stadium on campus rather than re-upping its insanely expensive lease with the Eagles.

About that last bit: The Eagles’ stadium is about two miles away from Temple’s campus, a trip that takes about 13 minutes by car and 25 minutes by bus. It’s an ideal setup for a public university located in a major city, or would be if the Eagles were not fleecing Temple during every year that the Owls have played in their stadium. They have been fleecing Temple, though, charging a fee of over $1 million per season, plus stadium operating costs, which come out to over $265,000 per game. This is after the Eagles got Philadelphia taxpayers to help build the stadium back in 2000; the city and state government agreed to pay $188 million of the Eagles stadium’s $512 million price tag, or about 36 percent.

Temple’s lease ran out in 2017, although the school’s administration already decided to exercise the options for both 2018 and 2019. But Temple has very publicly committed to the fact that 2019 will be its final year partnering with the Eagles, in large part because the Eagles were asking the university to lock into a 30-year lease that would have run the school $2 million per year, with a required upfront payment of $12 million. Back in 2015, that proposal drew the ire of Philadelphia mayor Jim Kenney:

“The Eagles have a point of view and I don’t agree with their point of view. It’s all about dollars and cents, and I don’t know if we’re going to resolve that or not,” said Kenney.

In February, Temple officials were supposed to unveil the stadium plans at a town hall event, but backed down after the community vocalized its frustrations with the school’s prioritization of the athletic department and specifically with the decision to plow forward with a new on-campus football stadium. So the school bagged the fancy announcement and unveiled the football stadium layout to the media instead.

The result has been a series of compounding and deeply cynical decisions. Temple’s decision to go all-in on its football program put them in this position; the Eagles did not help by restricting Temple’s options to building a new stadium, paying more than they could afford for home games, or cutting football altogether.

Which brings us back to the job center. Not many people in Philly wanted their tax dollars going to another stadium—one that will cost upwards of $100 million dollars—when there’s a perfectly good one 15 minutes down the road. In an attempt to balance out all the cash, noise, and road closures that will come with that two-year construction project, Temple offered the jobs center.

In 2015, Temple partnered with a local union, the Laborers’ District Council, to purchase the land that once housed William Penn High School for $15 million. While the school has been able to build the Temple Sports Complex, a collection of grass and turf fields and a track, Temple administrators are now saying that construction on the job training center never started because they were still trying to negotiate a final price for the center with the LDC. Now, Temple is claiming that construction will be completed by May 2020.

Spending for Temple football slowing down other on-campus projects isn’t exactly a new trend. In 2013, for instance, the Owls dropped seven sports from their athletic departments lineup to shave $3 million off the annual budget of $44 million. Temple was pressed to do that because it had tried to go the independent route with its football team and ended up spending a small fortune for a historically shitty program to play in the Eagles stadium.

In conclusion: a college is selling out its principles for football, a NFL team is cravenly trying to squeeze as much money as it can out of another party, the sky is blue, and grass is green.

But, Temple is going 'all in' on football anyway. Anyone know what kind of deal Pitt has? From Deadspin:

Temple's Still Getting Fleeced By The Eagles, And Locals Are Stuck With Both Bills
giqahxdtjklnhcbzy7qf.jpg

Photo: Corey Perinne (Getty Images)
Temple has yet to start construction on a promised community jobs center, a project that was announced three years ago, but its plans for a controversial on-campus football stadium have only gained steam. This is thanks in part to some grade-A scuzzery courtesy of the Philadelphia Eagles.

The university announced this week that it would break ground soon on a site meant to house a center that would provided job-related resources and training for local North Philly residents, per a report from BillyPenn. The announcement comes right in the middle of a rough stretch for the Temple administration, which has been roundly criticized for its determination to build a multi-million dollar football stadium on campus rather than re-upping its insanely expensive lease with the Eagles.

About that last bit: The Eagles’ stadium is about two miles away from Temple’s campus, a trip that takes about 13 minutes by car and 25 minutes by bus. It’s an ideal setup for a public university located in a major city, or would be if the Eagles were not fleecing Temple during every year that the Owls have played in their stadium. They have been fleecing Temple, though, charging a fee of over $1 million per season, plus stadium operating costs, which come out to over $265,000 per game. This is after the Eagles got Philadelphia taxpayers to help build the stadium back in 2000; the city and state government agreed to pay $188 million of the Eagles stadium’s $512 million price tag, or about 36 percent.

Temple’s lease ran out in 2017, although the school’s administration already decided to exercise the options for both 2018 and 2019. But Temple has very publicly committed to the fact that 2019 will be its final year partnering with the Eagles, in large part because the Eagles were asking the university to lock into a 30-year lease that would have run the school $2 million per year, with a required upfront payment of $12 million. Back in 2015, that proposal drew the ire of Philadelphia mayor Jim Kenney:

“The Eagles have a point of view and I don’t agree with their point of view. It’s all about dollars and cents, and I don’t know if we’re going to resolve that or not,” said Kenney.

In February, Temple officials were supposed to unveil the stadium plans at a town hall event, but backed down after the community vocalized its frustrations with the school’s prioritization of the athletic department and specifically with the decision to plow forward with a new on-campus football stadium. So the school bagged the fancy announcement and unveiled the football stadium layout to the media instead.

The result has been a series of compounding and deeply cynical decisions. Temple’s decision to go all-in on its football program put them in this position; the Eagles did not help by restricting Temple’s options to building a new stadium, paying more than they could afford for home games, or cutting football altogether.

Which brings us back to the job center. Not many people in Philly wanted their tax dollars going to another stadium—one that will cost upwards of $100 million dollars—when there’s a perfectly good one 15 minutes down the road. In an attempt to balance out all the cash, noise, and road closures that will come with that two-year construction project, Temple offered the jobs center.

In 2015, Temple partnered with a local union, the Laborers’ District Council, to purchase the land that once housed William Penn High School for $15 million. While the school has been able to build the Temple Sports Complex, a collection of grass and turf fields and a track, Temple administrators are now saying that construction on the job training center never started because they were still trying to negotiate a final price for the center with the LDC. Now, Temple is claiming that construction will be completed by May 2020.

Spending for Temple football slowing down other on-campus projects isn’t exactly a new trend. In 2013, for instance, the Owls dropped seven sports from their athletic departments lineup to shave $3 million off the annual budget of $44 million. Temple was pressed to do that because it had tried to go the independent route with its football team and ended up spending a small fortune for a historically shitty program to play in the Eagles stadium.

In conclusion: a college is selling out its principles for football, a NFL team is cravenly trying to squeeze as much money as it can out of another party, the sky is blue, and grass is green.

My grandfather played OG for Penn State in the 30s, then attended medical school at Temple in the 40s, so I've always kind of rooted for Temple, especially in hoops, over the years. But I just don't see Temple football as ever being deserving of its own stadium going forward. Pitt, as an ACC school, has a much better argument for the benefits of such a stadium. Temple, I'm sorry to say, will never be a big time football program, so don't spend money like you are.

Have to click on the photo on the right - there's a little > to go to the next pic.

Got it. Yeah I have no issue loving the NFL and what it means for these guys. I remember Ethan Kilmer telling my roommate that he was going to try out for the team. Yeah, ok bud we said.. He didn't just make penn state, the guy got to travel the country earning hundreds of thousands of dollars in the process and learning infinite amounts about leadership and overcoming adversity. The game is great on so many levels, and will never go away.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and Bob78
But I just don't see Temple football as ever being deserving of its own stadium going forward.

They used to have their own stadium, from 1928 until 1978. Even after the team moved to Veterans Memorial Stadium (the multi-purpose stadium for the Phillies and the Eagles), Temple Stadium still existed. Temple's football team would practice there, and the soccer teams played there next to the stadium. (I think Temple baseball did as well, but I'm not certain of that.)

Temple Stadium was not located on Temple's campus, but that wasn't such a big deal, as Temple was primarily a commuter school.

The University tore down Temple Stadium in 1996/97, and sold the complex to a mega church for $4.5 mill in 2001.

Temple has really made a concerted effort to transform itself from a commuter school to a place where students live in dorms or apartments. The campus is still not located in a great section of Philadelphia, but the University has been very successful in changing from a commuter school.

They've also put a lot of effort into their football program. Temple football was never on PSU's level, but it did rather well under Wayne Hardin during the '70s and early '80s. They did OK under Bruce Arians in the 80s, but the team was a disaster in the '90s thru the 2005 season. Al Golden became coach in 2006, and while his record wasn't great in the beginning (in part because of what he inherited), by the end of the '00s, he had them in a bowl game. Temple football did OK under their 2 years with Steve Addazio as coach. They really did nicely under Matt Rhule, who coached them until he took the Baylor job after the 2016 season.

Temple does have a tough road as a member of the American Athletic Conference, as the conference does not have a nice TV contract. Temple's administration seems to feel that a viable football program enhances the rest of the University. Whether they can remain viable remains to be seen, but they've done pretty well this decade.

Lastly, the University is facing an ugly situation with the Eagles in terms of what the Eagles want in rent. I don't blame Temple for seeking a better solution. Whether they'll be able to reach an agreement with the neighbors, and the City, to be able to build a stadium, remains to be seen.

They used to have their own stadium, from 1928 until 1978. Even after the team moved to Veterans Memorial Stadium (the multi-purpose stadium for the Phillies and the Eagles), Temple Stadium still existed. Temple's football team would practice there, and the soccer teams played there next to the stadium. (I think Temple baseball did as well, but I'm not certain of that.)

Temple Stadium was not located on Temple's campus, but that wasn't such a big deal, as Temple was primarily a commuter school.

The University tore down Temple Stadium in 1996/97, and sold the complex to a mega church for $4.5 mill in 2001.

Temple has really made a concerted effort to transform itself from a commuter school to a place where students live in dorms or apartments. The campus is still not located in a great section of Philadelphia, but the University has been very successful in changing from a commuter school.

They've also put a lot of effort into their football program. Temple football was never on PSU's level, but it did rather well under Wayne Hardin during the '70s and early '80s. They did OK under Bruce Arians in the 80s, but the team was a disaster in the '90s thru the 2005 season. Al Golden became coach in 2006, and while his record wasn't great in the beginning (in part because of what he inherited), by the end of the '00s, he had them in a bowl game. Temple football did OK under their 2 years with Steve Addazio as coach. They really did nicely under Matt Rhule, who coached them until he took the Baylor job after the 2016 season.

Temple does have a tough road as a member of the American Athletic Conference, as the conference does not have a nice TV contract. Temple's administration seems to feel that a viable football program enhances the rest of the University. Whether they can remain viable remains to be seen, but they've done pretty well this decade.

Lastly, the University is facing an ugly situation with the Eagles in terms of what the Eagles want in rent. I don't blame Temple for seeking a better solution. Whether they'll be able to reach an agreement with the neighbors, and the City, to be able to build a stadium, remains to be seen.

Perhaps I'm just a naive pessimist, but I just don't see Temple football as justifying its own stadium. To me, college football is only headed more towards benefiting the blue bloods and have-beens, and Temple is too little too late for that bandwagon.

So Temple could be screwed. Eagles' stadium will cost too much, and the NIMBYs in the ghetto around Temple's campus don't want the new stadium

Why don't they play at Franklin Field? It's still a good stadium. Mind you, scheduling might be a challenge at times, but with more and more games outside of Saturday afternoon, I'll bet they could work something out.

Reactions: Nitwit and Bob78
Does the Chester soccer field be able to support football, it is a great stadium. Temple would be better off maybe investing a few dollars into that stadium as part of some long term deal to make it football compatible.

FWIW, I don’t think it’s “NIMBY”s......

I think - for the most part - folks look at a 60,000 “state of the art” stadium sitting empty on a Saturday....... just a couple miles down the road...... and think “WTF would anyone spend ANOTHER $100 Million (or whatever) to build another stadium next door?”

That’s just common f^cking sense......

Given that - as per usual - huge chunks of public funds (OUR $$$$) were used to build the Eagles stadium:
Why in the hell no one in the State legislature has gotten together and said “Open up the f^cking stadium to Temple on Saturdays”, is bewildering (in the land of the intelligent), but - perhaps - par for the course in the land of politics, egos, and dick-swinging.

The waste involved makes even CONSIDERING this project mind-numbingly stupid.
But the egos and idiocy of all of the involved parties may just “make it happen”.
Egos are part of it. Look at the University of Minnesota--they built their own place with a brand new top-notch stadium for the Vikings also in town. A similar situation.

Why don't they play at Franklin Field? It's still a good stadium. Mind you, scheduling might be a challenge at times, but with more and more games outside of Saturday afternoon, I'll bet they could work something out.

Franklin Field currently has AstroTurf. As such, the endzones couldn't even be neutral. They would feature Penn logos. Besides that, there are a few other issues, including the scheduling challenges that you mentioned. Parking at Franklin Field is atrocious. There is no place to tailgate, and really no place to even have a pregame fan experience. (Though I'm not sure how valid an issue this is, as Temple has indicated that there will not be tailgating at parking lots if they get the OK to build their on-campus stadium.) Parking is basically a small number of street spots that have parking meters, and then parking garages for Penn's hospital, for the Penn Museum (Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology), and a few other garages in the area. Traffic around Penn would be an absolute mess before and after the games. In addition, it still wouldn't be on Temple's campus, and transportation for the students to the game would not be as easy as it is for them to get to Lincoln Financial Field (Linc). (Temple provides buses for the students, but many take the Broad Street subway from the campus to the Linc. To get to Franklin Field, they'd have to take the Broad Street subway to City Hall, then get off and switch to the Market-Street El, and then walk a longer distance from there to Franklin Field than they do from the Broad Street subway stop to the Linc.)

Does the Chester soccer field be able to support football, it is a great stadium. Temple would be better off maybe investing a few dollars into that stadium as part of some long term deal to make it football compatible.

This was studied extensively when Villanova was seriously considering jumping up to FBS (former D1) in football. The NCAA has attendance requirements for FBS schools, and Villanova could not meet them at their on-campus stadium. They knew they had no chance of getting approval from the local township for a stadium expansion, and also did not have room for sufficient parking to support such attendance. Their best option was the soccer stadium in Chester (now Talen Energy Stadium). Unfortunately, the seating capacity at Talen is just around the NCAA minimum, so they realized that the stadium would need to be expanded. The Philadelphia Union (the owners of Talen Energy Stadium) were agreeable to stadium expansion, but wanted Villanova to foot the expense. There also were some concerns about the grass. Talen is a Burmuda grass field. They felt that it probably could take football games as well as pro soccer games, but there were concerns about what condition the field would be in if 'Nova played a game on Saturday in the rain, and the Union had a soccer match scheduled for Sunday.

In Temple's situation, they'd be going from leasing one stadium to leasing another stadium. In addition, Talen is twice as far from Temple's campus as is the Linc. Unfortunately, there is no way to get from Temple's campus to Talen via public transportation (which the students can do with games at the Linc). While there is parking at Talen, it's a hodgepodge of lots, which does take some getting used to.

Egos are part of it. Look at the University of Minnesota--they built their own place with a brand new top-notch stadium for the Vikings also in town. A similar situation.

You can look at this 2 ways: as a comparison between U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis vs. Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia. Or, you could look at it as a comparison between U.S. Bank Stadium and the proposed Temple Stadium.

If the comparison is between U.S. Bank and the Linc, in terms of funding, they are somewhat similar. U.S. Bank cost 1.061 billion, with the State of Minnesota paying $348 mill, the City of Minneapolis paying $150 mill, and the team and private contributors paying $551 million. By comparison the Linc cost $512 mill, with the Commonwealth of PA and the City of Philadelphia paying a combined $188 mill, and the Eagles paying the rest. (Note that what you posted -- that the University of Minnesota built the U.S. Bank Stadium -- is incorrect. U.S. Bank is on the site of the Viking's former stadium, the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome. While that facility was being torn down, and the U.S. Bank stadium was being built, the Vikings played their home games for 2 seasons at the U. of Minnesota's TCF Bank Stadium -- where the U. of Minnesota plays football; it was built in 2009, with 52% paid for by the University, and 48% paid for by the State of Minnesota.)

If the comparison is between U.S. Bank and Temple's proposed on-campus stadium, there really isn't any comparison. It's estimated that Temple's stadium would cost $130 mill, and I believe that Temple expects to fund it themselves.

FWIW, I don’t think it’s “NIMBY”s......

I think - for the most part - folks look at a 60,000 “state of the art” stadium sitting empty on a Saturday....... just a couple miles down the road...... and think “WTF would anyone spend ANOTHER $100 Million (or whatever) to build another stadium next door?”

That’s just common f^cking sense......

Given that - as per usual - huge chunks of public funds (OUR $$$$) were used to build the Eagles stadium:
Why in the hell no one in the State legislature has gotten together and said “Open up the f^cking stadium to Temple on Saturdays”, is bewildering (in the land of the intelligent), but - perhaps - par for the course in the land of politics, egos, and dick-swinging.

The waste involved makes even CONSIDERING this project mind-numbingly stupid.
But the egos and idiocy of all of the involved parties may just “make it happen”.

That's not it at all. Residents are worried that the ghettos will be no longer ghettos as a result of the growth in the area.

Temple stadium at $130 million will be like Rutgers stadium. It will go grossly over budget and then Temple will be in trouble. The taxpayers of NJ ended up footing the bill to get RU stadium finished. Who will pay for the huge overuns at TEmple stadium as you know they will occur.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Temple's stadium plan calls for academic facilities and retail facilities, too. It's not just a stadium

Franklin Field currently has AstroTurf. As such, the endzones couldn't even be neutral. They would feature Penn logos. Besides that, there are a few other issues, including the scheduling challenges that you mentioned. Parking at Franklin Field is atrocious. There is no place to tailgate, and really no place to even have a pregame fan experience. (Though I'm not sure how valid an issue this is, as Temple has indicated that there will not be tailgating at parking lots if they get the OK to build their on-campus stadium.) Parking is basically a small number of street spots that have parking meters, and then parking garages for Penn's hospital, for the Penn Museum (Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology), and a few other garages in the area. Traffic around Penn would be an absolute mess before and after the games. In addition, it still wouldn't be on Temple's campus, and transportation for the students to the game would not be as easy as it is for them to get to Lincoln Financial Field (Linc). (Temple provides buses for the students, but many take the Broad Street subway from the campus to the Linc. To get to Franklin Field, they'd have to take the Broad Street subway to City Hall, then get off and switch to the Market-Street El, and then walk a longer distance from there to Franklin Field than they do from the Broad Street subway stop to the Linc.)

This was studied extensively when Villanova was seriously considering jumping up to FBS (former D1) in football. The NCAA has attendance requirements for FBS schools, and Villanova could not meet them at their on-campus stadium. They knew they had no chance of getting approval from the local township for a stadium expansion, and also did not have room for sufficient parking to support such attendance. Their best option was the soccer stadium in Chester (now Talen Energy Stadium). Unfortunately, the seating capacity at Talen is just around the NCAA minimum, so they realized that the stadium would need to be expanded. The Philadelphia Union (the owners of Talen Energy Stadium) were agreeable to stadium expansion, but wanted Villanova to foot the expense. There also were some concerns about the grass. Talen is a Burmuda grass field. They felt that it probably could take football games as well as pro soccer games, but there were concerns about what condition the field would be in if 'Nova played a game on Saturday in the rain, and the Union had a soccer match scheduled for Sunday.

In Temple's situation, they'd be going from leasing one stadium to leasing another stadium. In addition, Talen is twice as far from Temple's campus as is the Linc. Unfortunately, there is no way to get from Temple's campus to Talen via public transportation (which the students can do with games at the Linc). While there is parking at Talen, it's a hodgepodge of lots, which does take some getting used to.

You can look at this 2 ways: as a comparison between U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis vs. Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia. Or, you could look at it as a comparison between U.S. Bank Stadium and the proposed Temple Stadium.

If the comparison is between U.S. Bank and the Linc, in terms of funding, they are somewhat similar. U.S. Bank cost 1.061 billion, with the State of Minnesota paying $348 mill, the City of Minneapolis paying $150 mill, and the team and private contributors paying $551 million. By comparison the Linc cost $512 mill, with the Commonwealth of PA and the City of Philadelphia paying a combined $188 mill, and the Eagles paying the rest. (Note that what you posted -- that the University of Minnesota built the U.S. Bank Stadium -- is incorrect. U.S. Bank is on the site of the Viking's former stadium, the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome. While that facility was being torn down, and the U.S. Bank stadium was being built, the Vikings played their home games for 2 seasons at the U. of Minnesota's TCF Bank Stadium -- where the U. of Minnesota plays football; it was built in 2009, with 52% paid for by the University, and 48% paid for by the State of Minnesota.)

If the comparison is between U.S. Bank and Temple's proposed on-campus stadium, there really isn't any comparison. It's estimated that Temple's stadium would cost $130 mill, and I believe that Temple expects to fund it themselves.
Two minor points. I have seen turf stadia where they could change logos.

Second, you misread me slightly--I did not mean to infer that the University of Minnesota built the Vikings stadium. Simply that Temple wanting it's own stadium on campus is similar to Minnesota wanting their own on campus. Both schools once used the former pro stadium.

One point about at least considering Franklin Field would be that it might put pressure on the Birds to at least offer a better deal than the current one at the Linc.

Two minor points. I have seen turf stadia where they could change logos.

Second, you misread me slightly--I did not mean to infer that the University of Minnesota built the Vikings stadium. Simply that Temple wanting it's own stadium on campus is similar to Minnesota wanting their own on campus. Both schools once used the former pro stadium.

One point about at least considering Franklin Field would be that it might put pressure on the Birds to at least offer a better deal than the current one at the Linc.

Minnesota has the benefit of big B1G TV money too, otherwise that stadium probably never happens (at least not with all the bells and whistles it has now).

And Temple area is still a dump directly outside the specific school related area. It is much, much safer on campus then it was 20+ years ago, but venture outside of campus merely a few blocks and gets real bad in a hurry.

I must be woefully out of it. $2 million per year in rent doesn't seem crazy to me. What we're not seeing is how much revenue Temple generates for that $2 million per year. It's safe to assume that A) it's more than $2 million - probably a lot more and B) that fixed and variable (ongoing upkeep, etc.) costs for building a new stadium would exceed $2 million per year.

You can argue that Temple would own the asset and control its own destiny, but $130 million is A LOT of cake for a historically-bad football program. Even if the expected life of an on-campus stadium were 50 years, the NPV of $2 million per year over that period is about $37 million in 2018 dollars (at a 5% discount rate).

That leaves another $100 million offset that Temple has to prove it would otherwise not make by continuing to rent a stadium from the Eagles. It's possible, but unlikely given that A) their team may not be consistently good enough to draw crowds and B) that concert, other event and naming revenue would be stymied by the fact that there are lots of other top venues in Philly.

I'm sure their top finance minds are working on the plan. At first blush, it doesn't seem like the best investment to me.

I must be woefully out of it. $2 million per year in rent doesn't seem crazy to me. What we're not seeing is how much revenue Temple generates for that $2 million per year. It's safe to assume that A) it's more than $2 million - probably a lot more and B) that fixed and variable (ongoing upkeep, etc.) costs for building a new stadium would exceed $2 million per year.

You can argue that Temple would own the asset and control its own destiny, but $130 million is A LOT of cake for a historically-bad football program. Even if the expected life of an on-campus stadium were 50 years, the NPV of $2 million per year over that period is about $37 million in 2018 dollars (at a 5% discount rate).

That leaves another $100 million offset that Temple has to prove it would otherwise not make by continuing to rent a stadium from the Eagles. It's possible, but unlikely given that A) their team may not be consistently good enough to draw crowds and B) that concert, other event and naming revenue would be stymied by the fact that there are lots of other top venues in Philly.

I'm sure their top finance minds are working on the plan. At first blush, it doesn't seem like the best investment to me.
Temple had six home games last year- average attendance was 25,881. I doubt they netted anything like $2 million.

My grandfather played OG for Penn State in the 30s, then attended medical school at Temple in the 40s, so I've always kind of rooted for Temple, especially in hoops, over the years. But I just don't see Temple football as ever being deserving of its own stadium going forward. Pitt, as an ACC school, has a much better argument for the benefits of such a stadium. Temple, I'm sorry to say, will never be a big time football program, so don't spend money like you are.
I don't think they have much of a choice. Either give up football, pay an exorbitant amount to the Eagles or build their own.

If the program can’t clear that, then a $130 million outlay is absurd.

I don't recall any details, and I doubt that they have been finalized, but Temple's expectations is that they'll get some big-ticket donations , making the University's outlay less than $130 mill. Only time will tell as to how much less

I don't recall any details, and I doubt that they have been finalized, but Temple's expectations is that they'll get some big-ticket donations , making the University's outlay less than $130 mill. Only time will tell as to how much less
Big donations would be an obvious game changer. If they can raise $100 million, then it makes more financial sense.

The Eagles are no worse than the Steelers. Both are takers. They milk the public cow at little or no cost and then sell the milk back to the public at a substantial profit. In Pittsburgh the average guy is perfectly willing to accept this so that he can say he's a part of Steeler Nation. If that is what the majority of voters want, fine, but I will not join in the canonization of the Rooneys.

Last edited:

Yes, TU played baseball there on an adjacent field. I remember going to a baseball double-header there with PSU around 1978. Terry Rakowsky, back QB and later a WR, was on the team. I talked to him between games. People forget that the '79 NC State game which Herb Menhardt won on a last second 54-yard FG was set up on the previous play by a great 4th down catch by Terry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT