ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Mack Brown back to UNC?

I believe that was from an ESPN The Magazine college football pre-season issue. Reminded me of Batman and robin with the way their legs are positioned...

hqdefault.jpg

The Connor/Poz photo reminds me of an older photo of two PSU linebackers or D-lineman.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Mack Brown is 67 yrs old and and his last year at Carolina was 1997. There's no way he would be considered for this job.
Economics. Boosters. AD on thin ice. Mack will rally the troops for 3 years. That's the thinking.

Economics. Boosters. AD on thin ice. Mack will rally the troops for 3 years. That's the thinking.

Guess they didn't factor losing football games into the equation. He'll probably a reasonable choice if the objective is to go from F to C-.

Reactions: stormingnorm
Guess they didn't factor losing football games into the equation. He'll probably a reasonable choice if the objective is to go from F to C-.

Well, most of us around here believe it will be 7-8 wins or more next season - they lost 8 games by 10 pts or less and had multiple 4th quarter leads this year. There is some experienced talent on the team. Our local rag (N&O) agrees.

Larry was fired because his kids did too many things that brought dishonor to the school (shoe sales, brawl) and he couldn't recruit with the SEC. He's also losing ground to NC State which is hard to do. Mack will bring $$$ and recruits into the program. Will he win big. Nah. We know that already but Bubba the AD is on some thin ice as well. Mack is the 'safe choice' here in Chapel Hill for a variety of political reasons.

Well, most of us around here believe it will be 7-8 wins or more next season - they lost 8 games by 10 pts or less and had multiple 4th quarter leads this year. There is some experienced talent on the team. Our local rag (N&O) agrees.

Larry was fired because his kids did too many things that brought dishonor to the school (shoe sales, brawl) and he couldn't recruit with the SEC. He's also losing ground to NC State which is hard to do. Mack will bring $$$ and recruits into the program. Will he win big. Nah. We know that already but Bubba the AD is on some thin ice as well. Mack is the 'safe choice' here in Chapel Hill for a variety of political reasons.
I can definitely see that reasoning. They’ll get a bump with Mack and he can fake energy for a few years. I don’t hate the guy but I saw how he viewed the UT job at the end as his birthright and made sure the big money boosters were in his pocket

Reactions: BBrown

Dollars maybe. I wouldn't count on recruits.

Reactions: step.eng69
yeah, Mack's hire makes sense; to start with, the hire is getting way more buzz than a more conventional hire of a guy from a smaller school

Mack was very popular in his time at UNC, did a great job recruiting, had two straight top-10 finishes, and filled the stadium; not the world's greatest x and o coach, but for recruiting and public relations, he was excellent at UNC. He was able to get the best players in the state to come to UNC, which is no small feat, with plenty of competition from the SEC and others.

He'll recruit well again IMO.

Mack going back to UNC creates a spot for a former coach to sit at ESPN's desk and tell everybody what a team should have done. Looks like a perfect fit for Urbz.

Urbs back to ESPN would be interesting. The new young turks at ESPN were not to thrilled with Urbs when their scandal was unfolding, especially some of the younger female reporters.

yeah, Mack's hire makes sense; to start with, the hire is getting way more buzz than a more conventional hire of a guy from a smaller school

Mack was very popular in his time at UNC, did a great job recruiting, had two straight top-10 finishes, and filled the stadium; not the world's greatest x and o coach, but for recruiting and public relations, he was excellent at UNC. He was able to get the best players in the state to come to UNC, which is no small feat, with plenty of competition from the SEC and others.

He'll recruit well again IMO.
I never understood the love for Mack Brown, Crummy Dick goes 72-41 at UNC and they fire him to hire a guy 11-23 from Tulane, and Tulane had to hire him after 1 great season at Appy state of 6-5. He almost had as many 1 win seasons (2) as he did 10 win season (3). Carolina has lovely powder blue uniforms and a stadium in a great setting, but after that what really have they done? I mean Mac won 60% of his games at UNC, but they guy he replaced won more!

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Appalachian State Mountaineers
(Southern Conference) (1983)
1983 Appalachian State 6–5 4–3 4th
Appalachian State: 6–5 4–3
Tulane Green Wave (NCAA Division I-A independent) (1985–1987)
1985 Tulane 1–10
1986 Tulane 4–7
1987 Tulane 6–6 L Independence
Tulane: 11–23
North Carolina Tar Heels (Atlantic Coast Conference) (1988–1997)
1988 North Carolina 1–10 1–6 7th
1989 North Carolina 1–10 0–7 8th
1990 North Carolina 6–4–1 3–3–1 5th
1991 North Carolina 7–4 3–4 5th
1992 North Carolina 9–3 5–3 3rd W Peach 18 19
1993 North Carolina 10–3 6–2 2nd L Gator† 21 19
1994 North Carolina 8–4 5–3 T–3rd L Sun† 21
1995 North Carolina 7–5 4–4 T–5th W Carquest
1996 North Carolina 10–2 6–2 T–2nd W Gator 10 10
1997 North Carolina 10–1 7–1 2nd Invited to Gator* 6 4
North Carolina: 69–46–1 40–35–1
Texas Longhorns (Big 12 Conference) (1998–2013)
1998 Texas 9–3 6–2 2nd (South) W Cotton 16 15
1999 Texas 9–5 6–2 1st (South) L Cotton 23 21
2000 Texas 9–3 7–1 2nd (South) L Holiday 12 12
2001 Texas 11–2 7–1 1st (South) W Holiday 5 5
2002 Texas 11–2 6–2 T–1st (South)^ W Cotton 7 6
2003 Texas 10–3 7–1 2nd (South) L Holiday 11 12
2004 Texas 11–1 7–1 2nd (South) W Rose† 4 5
2005 Texas 13–0 8–0 1st (South) W Rose† 1 1
2006 Texas 10–3 6–2 2nd (South) W Alamo 13 13
2007 Texas 10–3 5–3 2nd (South) W Holiday 10 10
2008 Texas 12–1 7–1 T–1st (South)^ W Fiesta† 3 4
2009 Texas 13–1 8–0 1st (South) L BCS NCG† 2 2
2010 Texas 5–7 2–6 6th (South)
2011 Texas 8–5 4–5 T–6th W Holiday
2012 Texas 9–4 5–4 T–3rd W Alamo 18 19
2013 Texas 8–5 7–2 T–2nd L Alamo
Texas: 158–48 98–33
Total: 244–122–1

I never understood the love for Mack Brown, Crummy Dick goes 72-41 at UNC and they fire him to hire a guy 11-23 from Tulane, and Tulane had to hire him after 1 great season at Appy state of 6-5. He almost had as many 1 win seasons (2) as he did 10 win season (3). Carolina has lovely powder blue uniforms and a stadium in a great setting, but after that what really have they done? I mean Mac won 60% of his games at UNC, but they guy he replaced won more!

North Carolina Tar Heels (Atlantic Coast Conference) (1988–1997)
1988 North Carolina 1–10 1–6 7th
1989 North Carolina 1–10 0–7 8th
1990 North Carolina 6–4–1 3–3–1 5th
1991 North Carolina 7–4 3–4 5th
1992 North Carolina 9–3 5–3 3rd W Peach 18 19
1993 North Carolina 10–3 6–2 2nd L Gator† 21 19
1994 North Carolina 8–4 5–3 T–3rd L Sun† 21
1995 North Carolina 7–5 4–4 T–5th W Carquest
1996 North Carolina 10–2 6–2 T–2nd W Gator 10 10
1997 North Carolina 10–1 7–1 2nd Invited to Gator* 6 4
North Carolina: 69–46–1 40–35–1

pretty basic....at UNC, he came in to a program that was down, cupboard bare, and left with 10-win seasons and plenty of talent still there

Dollars maybe. I wouldn't count on recruits.

I don't know Art. He dominated in-state recruiting once and beat them on the field as well - 21-3 vs. in-state. So, we'll see. I don't think it's a horrendous hire with Kingsbury and Chizik and a new indoor facility. Can we expect 12-0? But 8-9 wins and fat and happy boosters. Yes. Everyone views UNC as a big state school with gobs of money. It isn't. It's much different than you would expect when it comes to football. Expectations are lower too.

I know I could. It’s just telling college kids what to do.

“Catch it!”

“Block!”

“Run faster!”

“Tackle him!”

What’s so difficult?
It’s easier than that. You just let them do their own thing and then publicly shame them in film sessions of the games. That will inspire the players to win for you.

pretty basic....at UNC, he came in to a program that was down, cupboard bare, and left with 10-win seasons and plenty of talent still there
we disagree , the program wasnt 'down' (off a little maybe) but over the previous 2 years they were at least .500, there was talent there, and Mack turned them into not 1, but 2, 1-10 teams!! And this was after being 11-23 at Tulane!! Could you image a 11-23 coach at a G5 school getting a power 5 job today?? NO way!!
I wonder if he brings Cleve back!!!

Last edited:
That is a smart move Chizik will be a very solid hire and great for recruiting

I don't know Art. He dominated in-state recruiting once and beat them on the field as well - 21-3 vs. in-state. So, we'll see. I don't think it's a horrendous hire with Kingsbury and Chizik and a new indoor facility. Can we expect 12-0? But 8-9 wins and fat and happy boosters. Yes. Everyone views UNC as a big state school with gobs of money. It isn't. It's much different than you would expect when it comes to football. Expectations are lower too.
If UNC wins 7-8-9 games next year they will start winning 9-10-11 games a year in a hurry. They will start getting the top recruits in NC and they will start competing in the ACC for championships. There is so much talent here in NC it is crazy they have 15 of the top 250 players in the country right now, if UNC gets a 1/3 of the top talent they will be a 9-11 win team yearly

That was 20-30 years ago and brown was in his mid 30s-40s, not 60s.

Most of those reporters - today - don't even remember which side of the Moral Outrage Mountain they were on.... or why they thought they should be there :)

By next year?

FWIW: If Urby steps down (which I think is a very legit possibility) I would kinda' be surprised to see him in a "public" role for a while.
But, who knows?

Agree but I think Urbs has a gig lined up with ESPN and tOSU will simply promote Day (who has gotten rave reviews before and after Urb's suspension).

That was 20-30 years ago and brown was in his mid 30s-40s, not 60s.
Well, maybe so, but I'll go with Apex (who lives in the Triangle and has a ton of UNC contacts) and sammyk (who is a successful NC high school football coach) on this. Good hire that may work well for UNC (and I'm certainly NOT a UNC fan).

Give Mack 2 or 3 years to see a trend.

Mack Brown probably got brainstormed from the Herm Edwards, AZ St. hire. Worked for them , might work for us.

Only way unc ever does better than avg going forward is if they cheat. The days of their fb student athletes being able to not be real students is over and they will never ever expose anything happening to their BB program, which almost happened.

I’m a retired 6th grade math teacher now selling packaging solutions at 57 years old. I don’t have answers to many things.
But this doesn’t make sense to me. I would be going after a young MAC level coach - Buffalo- or a certified, bonafied, qualified coordinator of a P5 team. Not sure a 60-something is the direction I’d go right now.
My $0.02.

OL

Absolutely mind boggling that someone is getting paid to make this decision. A 68 yr old coach is not going to move the needle with recruits and the game has past him by. I’ve never seen one of these situations work yet people getting paid a lot of money to make these decisions still make them

Absolutely mind boggling that someone is getting paid to make this decision. A 68 yr old coach is not going to move the needle with recruits and the game has past him by. I’ve never seen one of these situations work yet people getting paid a lot of money to make these decisions still make them

I mean you’re a Penn State fan right? So you would know that a big name even at that age can certainly move the needle with recruits?

About as good a hire as they could ask for...

Bill Snyder worked out decently well for KSU, but KSU was always a doormat relying on JUCOs....I think this was a bad idea for UNC...

Bill Snyder?

Safe hire for unc to get the hem to just be average again. Powers that be there really only care about men’s basketball. Yes they have an excellent athletic program overall, but most of their fans and donors only care about BB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT