ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Heeeeyyyy!! Guess who has something to say about Larry Nassar?

A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Wonder if @BrandonShort43 ever runs into this guy in London?

John Amaechi: 'We have to stop mythologizing sport'

By Jill Martin, CNN

Jill Martin-Profile-Image
By Jill Martin, CNN

Updated 12:18 PM ET, Fri January 26, 2018
Sport and the gymnastics abuse scandal

PauseFullscreen
Now Playing Sport and the...

Sport and the gymnastics abuse scandal 04:06
Story highlights
Amaechi tells CNN people underestimate the "almost supernatural" position of sport in society
He adds that while it's an "institutional" problem, it can be changed

(CNN)Larry Nassar, the former USA Gymnastics and Michigan State University doctor who admitted to using his medical position to assault and molest girls under the guise of medical treatment, was sentenced by a judge in Michigan to 40 to 175 years in prison on Wednesday. This comes after more than 150 women and girls said in court that he sexually abused them over the past two decades.

The stories that these women and girls have told in court shocked many, and questions remain on what USA Gymnastics and Michigan State knew and when, as well as how this sexual abuse could go on for so long.

John Amaechi, a psychologist, author and a former NBA player, told CNN Sport's Amanda Davies in a recent interview -- recorded before Nassar's sentencing -- that people underestimate the "almost supernatural" position of sport in society, saying it's like church.

"Sometimes people don't realize their zeal, their passion, their love of sport as an adult," Amaechi said.

"Anyone who thinks a child is making a proactive decision that they want to have a lifetime in gymnastics at the age of five is kidding themselves.

"That child is looking at their parents and thinking, 'My parents love me in this sport.' There's a chance a five-year-old will think, 'My parents may not love me as much if I don't do this sport.'
"If a child thinks they can increase their love they get from their parents by doing something even if they hate it, even if they find it injurious, even if someone is hurting them, they will continue to do it."

There is an "institutional problem," Amaechi continued.
"If you look at the institutions that have had the significant challenges, they tend to be insular, closed, governed in a way that is less than transparent, setting themselves up as paragons of virtue," Amaechi said. "That is where the similarity is."

"We give them a different space. We think if there is somebody doing something in that space that we wouldn't expect in another kind educational environment, there must be good reason for it, because we know sport is good.

"The danger comes with that assumption. Sport is an empty vessel if we allow it be filled with rogue elements, people who would rather protect their sports than your child."

However, Amaechi believes this can be changed.

"We have to stop mythologizing sport," Amaechi said. "We have to stop pretending that it's out for the best for our young people and realize that, with our great vigilance and oversight, we can use sport for great things.

"We can make sure our coaches are educated to a much higher level than they are now. We can make sure that it delivers the outcomes that it promises right now."

"Because at the moment, most sports, they promise your daughter and son will come out at the end of this with leadership skills and transformational interpersonal skills, and all of these other things, and most sport does not teach that.
"In fact, not only do they not teach these great skills above the line, they actually cause harm to our young people.
"We can do something about that, but we have to stop pretending that in of itself, sport is good."

I'm so glad he is here to tell us how right he is an all of us are stupid.

LdN

uflcR0p.gif

Jeez, just shut up already John. My kids are extremely active in soccer and lacrosse. They bring them great joy, a sense of pride, team building skills, good fitness, the idea that you have to work hard to get what you want (making the 1st team). My own experience is the same.

He's basically saying the same thing, and then contradicts himself - this is the guy at the bar standing with a full glass of beer and who never takes a drink because he won't shut up.

By Jill Martin, CNN

By Jill Martin, CNN

PauseFullscreen

Story highlights
Amaechi tells CNN people underestimate the "almost supernatural" position of sport in society

(CNN)Larry Nassar, the former USA Gymnastics and Michigan State University doctor who admitted to using his medical position to assault and molest girls under the guise of medical treatment, was sentenced by a judge in Michigan to 40 to 175 years in prison on Wednesday. This comes after more than 150 women and girls said in court that he sexually abused them over the past two decades.

The stories that these women and girls have told in court shocked many, and questions remain on what USA Gymnastics and Michigan State knew and when, as well as how this sexual abuse could go on for so long.

John Amaechi, a psychologist, author and a former NBA player, told CNN Sport's Amanda Davies in a recent interview -- recorded before Nassar's sentencing -- that people underestimate the "almost supernatural" position of sport in society, saying it's like church.

"Sometimes people don't realize their zeal, their passion, their love of sport as an adult," Amaechi said.

"Anyone who thinks a child is making a proactive decision that they want to have a lifetime in gymnastics at the age of five is kidding themselves.

"That child is looking at their parents and thinking, 'My parents love me in this sport.' There's a chance a five-year-old will think, 'My parents may not love me as much if I don't do this sport.'
"If a child thinks they can increase their love they get from their parents by doing something even if they hate it, even if they find it injurious, even if someone is hurting them, they will continue to do it."

"If you look at the institutions that have had the significant challenges, they tend to be insular, closed, governed in a way that is less than transparent, setting themselves up as paragons of virtue," Amaechi said. "That is where the similarity is."

"We give them a different space. We think if there is somebody doing something in that space that we wouldn't expect in another kind educational environment, there must be good reason for it, because we know sport is good.

"The danger comes with that assumption. Sport is an empty vessel if we allow it be filled with rogue elements, people who would rather protect their sports than your child."

"We have to stop mythologizing sport," Amaechi said. "We have to stop pretending that it's out for the best for our young people and realize that, with our great vigilance and oversight, we can use sport for great things.

"We can make sure our coaches are educated to a much higher level than they are now. We can make sure that it delivers the outcomes that it promises right now."

"Because at the moment, most sports, they promise your daughter and son will come out at the end of this with leadership skills and transformational interpersonal skills, and all of these other things, and most sport does not teach that.
"In fact, not only do they not teach these great skills above the line, they actually cause harm to our young people.
"We can do something about that, but we have to stop pretending that in of itself, sport is good."
Hey great, John. Maybe we also ought to have an honest conversation about Pillar of the Community Sex Offenders. Or, you know, we just can blame 'sport' (or Joe).

By Jill Martin, CNN

By Jill Martin, CNN

PauseFullscreen

Story highlights

Whatever, everybody's a couch psychologist now. As a parent with two competitive kids, I say he doesn't know what he's talking about and clearly doesn't know any kids who LOVE their sport.

I dunno, some of the touchy responses here almost are making Amaechi's argument for him.

He is referring to big-league sport, not community youth leagues. He's talking about world class gymnastics where girls are having to make this enormous life decision at 6 or 7 years old to commit themselves to a cloistered, very artificial life -- and a life of stress and pain, as all big-time sports is. It's a little impossible to know whether that is the right decision for the kid -- sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.

Kids playing youth soccer have very little in common with Simone Biles.

And I think Amaechi seems to be referring to USA gymnastics when he talks about extremely powerful, insular organizations that have no accountability.

But he COULD be talking about PSU football in 2011. I can't imagine anything more insular and not accountable than Paterno's program in his later years. And that wasn't all bad, but in some ways it was very bad. Like that year when 18 or 20 or 22 (or whatever it was) PSU players got arrested and a lot of them stayed on the team? I actually defended Paterno at the time but, geez, in hindsight, that was really messed up.

I'm proud that people like Amaechi (and Zeynep Ton, and John Urschel, you can go on and on) are Penn State alums. The fact that PSU athletics helps produce people like that is at least one argument for the benefit of sport.

Last edited:
I dunno, some of the touchy responses here almost are making Amaechi's argument for him.

He is referring to big-league sport, not community youth leagues. He's talking about world class gymnastics where girls are having to make this enormous life decision at 6 or 7 years old to commit themselves to a cloistered, very artificial life -- and a life of stress and pain, as all big-time sports is. It's a little impossible to know whether that is the right decision for the kid -- sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.

And I think Amaechi seems to be referring to USA gymnastics when he talks about extremely powerful, insular organizations that have no accountability.

But he COULD be talking about PSU football in 2011. I can't imagine anything more insular and not accountable than Paterno's program in his later years. And that wasn't all bad, but in some ways it was very bad.

Again, my point. Do you believe he is the first person to realize this?

Do you think 90% of America don't see abuse when they see a 10 year old performing gymnastics at an international level?

They do. At least my parents did some time during the 60s.

LdN

Then he may want to choose his words more carefully.

And btw, my post above is referring to competitive youth sports, not rec sports. Big difference.

Hmm...that wasn't a problem when he was leveraging it to pull down a big pro-player contract, was it?

Its like saying KFC should change their recipe.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I'm proud that people like Amaechi (and Zeynep Ton, and John Urschel, you can go on and on) are Penn State alums. The fact that PSU athletics helps produce people like that is at least one argument for the benefit of sport.
I know nothing about Zeynep Ton (is that a real person?), and nothing about Amaechi's post NBA career or interactions with the BoT, but if he has used his media platform to suck up to the BoT or attack PSU sports, then I would not be proud to claim him as one of PSU's own..

I believe Joe knew about student progress and attendance because he asked the profs and instructors to keep him informed.

John Amaechi Criticizes Joe Paterno, Response to Sandusky Scandal
BY DOUG DOOLING, JR. ON OCTOBER 23, 2014 AT 5:02 AMSANDUSKY SCANDAL

Former Penn State and NBA basketball star John Amaechi reflected about Penn State and the Sandusky Scandal in a recent interview with Touchvision, the first time he’s talked about the subjects publicly since he was the 2013 Homecoming Grand Marshal.

Amaechi explained his personal history with Jerry Sandusky, who was the third person he met on campus, after his coach and academic advisor. Sandusky wanted to tell the freshman Amaechi about the responsibility he had as an athlete to do something with his power. Following this meeting, Amaechi became involved in Sandusky’s nationally renowned charity, The Second Mile.

Amaechi feels that Sandusky used the student-athletes at Penn State to draw in his victims.

“In a sense, there is some part of me that thinks that myself and some of the other athletes, elite athletes who I spoke to, continue to speak to… We were involved in this program that was the front to a business, but it’s not real. It’s just like a shell. We were the attractive lure of this entity, unknowingly part of the abuse of young people.”

Amaechi also had stern words for the students’ recklessness on the night of November 9, 2011.

“This whole chapter is pockmarked with bits of embarrassment. The day that the students rioted on behalf of Joe Paterno. It’s disgusting.

But that man knew when a student on his football team of a hundred-or-so people skipped a morning class. He knew everything that was going on with his team, but not this apparently.

“I’ve had some problems with that.”

Amaechi’s stance on the Sandusky scandal has caused some irate alumni to harass him online. The spite became so terrible that Amaechi considered following then-President Rodney Erickson’s lead to decline participation in the Homecoming parade. He did not, however.

“I went back because of how I feel about Penn State, and how I feel beholden to it for what it did for me. I’m not ashamed of Penn State. I’m ashamed of some of the things that we did, or didn’t do.”

Amaechi is undoubtedly one of the most outspoken famous alumni of the university in the wake of the Sandusky Scandal, as seen by his comments. You can check out the full interview below:

I know nothing about Zeynep Ton (is that a real person?), and nothing about Amaechi's post NBA career or interactions with the BoT, but if he has used his media platform to suck up to the BoT or attack PSU sports, then I would not be proud to claim him as one of PSU's own..

Zeynep Ton was a Penn State volleyball player in the early-mid 90’s who has positioned herself as somewhat of an expert in business management - believe she is faculty at MIT and previously Harvard. She recently wrote a book about investing in employees and has plenty of professional accolades to go with it. She’s nothing like Amaechi IMO.

But he COULD be talking about PSU football in 2011. I can't imagine anything more insular and not accountable than Paterno's program in his later years. And that wasn't all bad, but in some ways it was very bad. Like that year when 18 or 20 or 22 (or whatever it was) PSU players got arrested and a lot of them stayed on the team? I actually defended Paterno at the time but, geez, in hindsight, that was really messed up.

Hey - ask Brandon Short what he thinks about the value of big league sport.

Reactions: 91Joe95

By Jill Martin, CNN

By Jill Martin, CNN

PauseFullscreen

Story highlights

Yeah, no shit. They keep interviewing him simply because he played basketball.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Zeynep Ton was a Penn State volleyball player in the early-mid 90’s who has positioned herself as somewhat of an expert in business management - believe she is faculty at MIT and previously Harvard. She recently wrote a book about investing in employees and has plenty of professional accolades to go with it. She’s nothing like Amaechi IMO.
She was from Turkey, if i recall. And beautiful. My roommates and I would go to the womens v-ball games just to see her (sad but true).

I heard Amaechi pontificating about his disgust towards his alma mater several years back, I think on the Bubba the Love Sponge show. Pissed me off and don't ever want to hear him again. (That a-hole Bubba Tod Clem of course loved it)

Um, I know exactly what he's talking about. I had a gymnast competing for the national team. I know what it takes to compete at that level but the bottom line is that every parent and every kid is different and to lump them all in as parents pushing their kids and kids being forced to devote the time is bush league and quite inaccurate. Those type of parents definitely exist but they are the exception not the norm--and that is based on experience.

Just because I think Amaechi doesn't really know what he's talking about in this instance doesn't mean I don't respect him as a person with an opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT